Is there a "side-story" you wish would happen?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Is there a "side-story" you wish would happen?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:35 pm

Reading Lord Beerus's thread about the side-stories involving Bardock got me thinking: is there any other time period/character you'd like to see expanded upon into a side-story, either as an anime or as a manga? For example, part of me wants to know what Vegeta's childhood was like (beyond what we were shown in the Bardock special).

When I first thought of that idea, my initial reaction was, "Eh, what would be the point? He fought and trained a lot, that's all we need to know." But then again...that's one way to summarize Dragon Ball as it relates to Goku's childhood: the basic story is that...he fought and trained a lot. As we know, though, that's an absurdly basic summary. We saw Goku meet a lot of characters, have a lot of adventures, we got to watch him train (and learn attacks like the Kamehameha), and we got to watch him become the person and fighter that he became. So I figured, eh, what the heck, what's wrong with giving Vegeta the same treatment? It'd be very interesting for me to see how he interacted with Nappa, Raditz, and Freeza, how he trained (where did he learn Galick-Ho?), and with all those planets that he conquered, it's hard to believe there aren't some good stories in there somewhere. Add in some unique characters that only Toriyama could come up with, and I could see a side-story like that being quite interesting, especially if it was an anime where they could animate the fights.

That's just me, though. Is there a time period in another character's life, or another aspect of the Dragon Ball universe, that you'd love to see expanded into a side-story?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Re: Is there a "side-story" you wish would happen?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Personally I would enjoy some side stories of Krillin as a cop. I think there would be some fun things that you can do with that.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:49 pm

I'd like something related to the Red Ribbon Army, while you're at it center it around Gero and his son (and how it lead to model A16 on his image).

Another one is how and what lead to son of Katattsu becoming God in more detail.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:13 pm

The only further DB stories I've ever had any remote interest in are the young adventures of Muten Roshi (rising up in the world of martial arts to become the legend he's seen as in the series) and the story of the nameless Namekian/son of Katatsu's journey to become Kami/God. Between both those characters, the sprinklings of history surrounding them, and the supporting cast of secondary characters that tie into them, there's a LOT of excellent material there for a solid enough "History of the Dragon Ball Earth's Martial World" detailing the generation of warriors before Goku's era that would make for an actually compelling and worthwhile prequel.

Otherwise, there really isn't anything else I'd consider particularly pressing or crying out for further expansion at this point. Particularly with regards to the Saiya-jin, who were already well and truly tapped out - backstory/history-wise - in the original run of the series (the Tsufuru, Baby, Hatchiyak, Bardock, King Vegeta, Paragus & Broli, etc) much less now with the revival material (endless more Bardock and now Broli).
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:12 am

Stuff to do with the Saiyans is well trodden territory. I'm not sure about Kami's story, but I would certainly be VERY interested in Muten Roshi. His relationship with the Crane Hermit could be really interesting.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:36 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:Between both those characters, the sprinklings of history surrounding them, and the supporting cast of secondary characters that tie into them, there's a LOT of excellent material there for a solid enough "History of the Dragon Ball Earth's Martial World" detailing the generation of warriors before Goku's era that would make for an actually compelling and worthwhile prequel.
Yeah but Goku wouldn't be the main character so it'd never work :lol: (obviously I'm joking)

Personally I've always been curious as to the collection of the Dragon Balls in preparation for the arrival of Vegeta and Nappa. Obviously it isn't too involved given that one was never mentioned, but it'd be cool if there were a third great Dragon Ball hunt on Earth involving Roshi, Bulma, Oolong, Puar and Launch. Of course, putting Roshi and Oolong together with Bulma and Launch wouldn't be the best idea for 2018 storytelling standards, so maybe it could include Krillin, Yamcha and Tien at relevant moments acting as team leaders either before or after they commit to their training with Kami.

I also agree that seeing the backstory of characters like the Nameless Namekian and Roshi's early years with Tsuru Sen'nin and Mutaito. Maybe have those two stories collide so we can see a more realistic take on Daimao terrorizing the Earth* and see first-hand the divide between Mutaito's students grow to the breaking point when he himself dies. Roshi and Tsuru would also be old enough such that we could see the beginnings of the Tenkaichi Budokai. Maybe when Roshi and Tsuru compete, Roshi sees how Tsuru's victory goes to his head, which will influence the idea for him to later don the Jackie Chun disguise.

* Daimao burns whole cities to the ground in the anime's backstory and there's no evidence for it? Always felt fishy to me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:59 am

Where did the idea come from that a DB story without Goku as the main character would never work? That's a strawman. Sidestories centered on other characters is fine. No one's objecting to that.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:33 am

I think that in the history of the Dragon World there are a number of interesting side stories to pick up. On the basis of these side stories the complete history could be explained. By focusing within each arc on a certain 'hero' within that era, you create diversity but also a certain continuity until you find connection with the 'main continuity'. You explain the past by first zooming out completely (Silmarillion, creation story) and then zoom in through other side stories (for example Yamoshi, Kami, Muten Roshi) until you come to the birth of Goku, Vegeta or even until the arrival of Goku on the earth.
For example, you could take these arcs:

Season 1:

The 'creation story' of Dragon Ball.
It explains how the Dragon verse originated, how the different universes arose, why there are angels and gods and demons, how Zeno came to power. The first wars during the turbulent first era are described around a central figure. Why could not that be Zalama, for example?
So you could explain why he made the Dragonballs: in response to certain destructive and negative forces? And how he himself learned the skills to make them.
You could decide this season with the emergence of the first Kais and also the first Saiyans, to make the link with season 2.

Season 2:

The big fight that everyone was waiting for the new movie starts. We're probably not going to see it in 'Broly'. But nobody says that no side story can be dedicated: the adventures of Yamoshi and his comrades against the evil Saiyans (and other enemies) begin.

In season 2 we see the first part of the fight.
"Yamoshi starts a rebellion against the evil Saiyans. He is cornered and becomes a Super Saiyan, but is still defeated as he runs out of energy. However, his spirit continued to search for a new savior: Super Saiyan God. "

Season 3:

The story of the Namekian Book of Legends. The Namekians are introduced in the story. The story is told from the perspective of the Namekian elder who sympathized with Yamoshi's spirit, and recorded the information about him in the Namekian Book of Legends.

Now that Yamoshi is dead, the fight against the evil Saiyans continues.
According to Shenron's story about Yamoshi from the Namekian Book of Legends, six righteous Saiyans came together on Planet Sadala to transform one into the Super Saiyan God. However, while the Super Saiyan God overwhelms the evil Saiyans, his power vanishes as w as he did, and as such, he and his comrades are wiped out.
Season 4 ends with the destruction of Planet Sadala.

Season 4:

The story of Kami (link with the first Namekians of season 3 is also made), how he became Guardian, how he met Popo and the first big threats he fought against. Simultaneously, the story of Multen Roshi is also told, how he came into contact with Kami and how he became master in the martial arts.

Apart from that, it can also be explained what happened to the Saiyans between the destruction of Sadala and the colonization of Planet Vegeta. The events that led to the flashback of the Broly film are also revealed. Goku and Vegeta are introduced.

The events of the first season ('divinity') and the second and third seasons ('saiyans') are linked together this season. Everything comes together to form one whole.

Grandpa Gohan is also introduced, it is told how he trained under Multen Roshi.

Season 4 ends with how Goku lands on earth and how Grandpa finds him.

Season 5:

The first adventures of Grandpa Gohan and Goku together. The first training of Goku, his first enemies, but also his first transformation.
In this prequel it's shown Goku transformed Great Ape but didn't actually kill Grandpa. He defended him against another foe, who is revealed in this arc.

This season may also include Vegeta's training under Nappa and deep his relationship towards Freeza / the Ginyu Force.
At the end of this arc, Goku and Bulma meat each other. The first encounter is reanimated.

I would divide these stories according to 12 OVAs per season and run them alongside the main continuity. Fans can still choose whether they only follow the classic Goku / Vegeta story line or also include the historical stories.
If the animation and storytelling of these stories is right, then the classic universe could be expanded enormously. I personally feel that there is more potential to explore, in the past, than just the history of Goku, Vegeta, Freeza and Broly.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:38 am

ABED wrote:Where did the idea come from that a DB story without Goku as the main character would never work? That's a strawman. Sidestories centered on other characters is fine. No one's objecting to that.
Here and here. I personally don't agree with the idea that a Dragon Ball story has to include Goku, as I think the world of Dragon Ball is rich enough to have stories that don't focus on or involve him.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:56 am

I'd like a story built around Gyu-Mao and Gohan's training, possibly as a bit of a sequel to the Kame-Sennin tale mentioned above.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:18 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:Between both those characters, the sprinklings of history surrounding them, and the supporting cast of secondary characters that tie into them, there's a LOT of excellent material there for a solid enough "History of the Dragon Ball Earth's Martial World" detailing the generation of warriors before Goku's era that would make for an actually compelling and worthwhile prequel.
Yeah but Goku wouldn't be the main character so it'd never work :lol: (obviously I'm joking)

Personally I've always been curious as to the collection of the Dragon Balls in preparation for the arrival of Vegeta and Nappa. Obviously it isn't too involved given that one was never mentioned, but it'd be cool if there were a third great Dragon Ball hunt on Earth involving Roshi, Bulma, Oolong, Puar and Launch. Of course, putting Roshi and Oolong together with Bulma and Launch wouldn't be the best idea for 2018 storytelling standards, so maybe it could include Krillin, Yamcha and Tien at relevant moments acting as team leaders either before or after they commit to their training with Kami.

I also agree that seeing the backstory of characters like the Nameless Namekian and Roshi's early years with Tsuru Sen'nin and Mutaito. Maybe have those two stories collide so we can see a more realistic take on Daimao terrorizing the Earth* and see first-hand the divide between Mutaito's students grow to the breaking point when he himself dies. Roshi and Tsuru would also be old enough such that we could see the beginnings of the Tenkaichi Budokai. Maybe when Roshi and Tsuru compete, Roshi sees how Tsuru's victory goes to his head, which will influence the idea for him to later don the Jackie Chun disguise.

* Daimao burns whole cities to the ground in the anime's backstory and there's no evidence for it? Always felt fishy to me.
This is actually interesting.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 pm

KBABZ wrote:
ABED wrote:Where did the idea come from that a DB story without Goku as the main character would never work? That's a strawman. Sidestories centered on other characters is fine. No one's objecting to that.
Here and here. I personally don't agree with the idea that a Dragon Ball story has to include Goku, as I think the world of Dragon Ball is rich enough to have stories that don't focus on or involve him.
I don't think anyone there was claiming DB stories have to include Goku.

In this case, a spin off could work, but these sidestories that delve into the history of characters like Kami and Muten Roshi would likely work best as TV specials than as entire series. Long stories that are just exposition sound boring.

Other than Better Call Saul, I'm at a loss to think of a prequel series that's actually good.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:26 pm

Yes, I have two:

- A side-story involving Gowasu and his quest to find a new apprentice. It would be a very interesting storyline involving Gowasu, a character whom many people adore, but it could also tie back to Zamasu, as Gowasu would be forced to come to terms with the fact that he failed his former pupil and played a part in his tragic descent into madness, but also to look to the future and find a new apprentice who may become everything that Zamasu should have been: Strong, understanding and wise. That could be Gowasu's chance to atone for his heinous msistakes.

- A side-story revolving around Zamasu's time as North Kai of Universe 10, before he became the exalted apprentice of Gowasu. It would be fascinating to see him when he was still a relatively calm and collected Kai, and I am especially intrigued by his mysterious winged pet. Maybe the hatred that Zamasu proved towards mortals had an even more sinister meaning than what we all thought.

zDBZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by zDBZ » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:00 pm

I forget the video game that introduced this idea, but - Videl going around to Piccolo and others for further training on ki.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:15 pm

Of those mentioned, I especially liked the ideas of a Krillin fights crime (anything from lighter phantom thief fare all the way to solving heavy serial murderers) and the idea of pre-kaioshin Zamasu and his flying pig.

I'd also like to know what's going on with Launch. Maybe tie her into one of the robberies Krillin has to solve.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:43 pm

KBABZ wrote:Personally I've always been curious as to the collection of the Dragon Balls in preparation for the arrival of Vegeta and Nappa. Obviously it isn't too involved given that one was never mentioned, but it'd be cool if there were a third great Dragon Ball hunt on Earth involving Roshi, Bulma, Oolong, Puar and Launch. Of course, putting Roshi and Oolong together with Bulma and Launch wouldn't be the best idea for 2018 storytelling standards, so maybe it could include Krillin, Yamcha and Tien at relevant moments acting as team leaders either before or after they commit to their training with Kami.
A longstanding "what could've been" for anime filler than a lot of older fans actually WANTED to see was on a similar train of thought as this: Mr. Popo gathering the Dragon Balls for Kami to use to as part of Kaio's plan to bring back the Grand Elder of Namek at the end of the Freeza arc (when Goku's still fighting with Freeza).

Imagine if instead of ridiculous nonsense like Kaio recapping in his head half of the previous episode we'd JUST seen, or some of the more pointless cutaways to the Namekians, Bulma, and Gohan just waiting around on Earth not doing much (there's literally a scene where Bulma's just playing a wishing game with leaves :wtf: ), we instead had filler of Popo getting into all kinds of crazy shenanigans and adventures trying to quickly gather up the Earth's Dragon Balls in time to execute Kaio's plan of wishing back the Grand Elder.

Instead we got the ridiculous bits of egregious padding that made the back end of the Freeza arc in the Z anime such an infamous slog, and something as potentially fun and cool as Popo adventuring for the Dragon Balls on his own (a concept that seems tailor made for legitimately fun anime filler material) are left entirely off screen.
KBABZ wrote:I also agree that seeing the backstory of characters like the Nameless Namekian and Roshi's early years with Tsuru Sen'nin and Mutaito. Maybe have those two stories collide so we can see a more realistic take on Daimao terrorizing the Earth* and see first-hand the divide between Mutaito's students grow to the breaking point when he himself dies. Roshi and Tsuru would also be old enough such that we could see the beginnings of the Tenkaichi Budokai. Maybe when Roshi and Tsuru compete, Roshi sees how Tsuru's victory goes to his head, which will influence the idea for him to later don the Jackie Chun disguise.
Ideally, a Dragon Ball prequel covering that material would indeed have the son of Katatsu's and young Muten Roshi's stories eventually intersect due to the crucial linking factor of Mutaito.

I personally think that the flashback we get in the anime of Daimao's original attack on humanity is flat out awesome and a highlight of the whole anime series, and seeing that exact scenario (legions of Daimao's demon spawn causing mass chaos and havoc across the Earth and razing entire cities with little more than a few far flung martial arts schools, including Mutaito's, utilizing their superhuman Ki abilities as the sole effective defense against the demon army) more broadly fleshed out could easily be all kinds of kickass.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:22 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:Yes, I have two:

- A side-story involving Gowasu and his quest to find a new apprentice. It would be a very interesting storyline involving Gowasu, a character whom many people adore, but it could also tie back to Zamasu, as Gowasu would be forced to come to terms with the fact that he failed his former pupil and played a part in his tragic descent into madness, but also to look to the future and find a new apprentice who may become everything that Zamasu should have been: Strong, understanding and wise. That could be Gowasu's chance to atone for his heinous msistakes.

- A side-story revolving around Zamasu's time as North Kai of Universe 10, before he became the exalted apprentice of Gowasu. It would be fascinating to see him when he was still a relatively calm and collected Kai, and I am especially intrigued by his mysterious winged pet. Maybe the hatred that Zamasu proved towards mortals had an even more sinister meaning than what we all thought.
Man. To come up with not one but two Zamasu arc related side stories. That's impressive

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:28 pm

I do have an idea for a one-off OVA off the top of my head I always go back to for these sort of discussions: a day after the battle with Beers the Saiyans all gather at Capsule Corp again because Vegeta wants to do the Super Saiyan God ritual on him...but so does everyone else! Much to Vegeta's dismay they can't decide the order for the ritual so Pilaf suggests that they use the racing course that he just built for the young master of the house, Trunks. The first half of the episode is merely Goten, Trunks, Gohan, Videl, Gokuu and Vegeta racing cool cars. Even further to Vegeta's dismay, Vegeta is dead-last in the race! Goten, Trunks, Gohan, Videl and finally Vegeta partake in the ritual. "Why are we even doing Gohan's wife?!" Vegeta shrieks in annoyance only to be disarmed by a very carefree Videl saying that she wants her child to be strong, too! Goten, Trunks and Gohan fail to transform into a Super Saiyan God since they don't train but Vegeta finally gets what he wants and transforms into a Super Saiyan God and then fights Super Saiyan God Gokuu. It's a struggle at first but Vegeta finally starts getting going but before the fight can really get going Beers--who has been eating food the entire time--farts and the smell knocks out Gokuu before Vegeta can decisively win. The episode ends with Vegeta being driven into a catatonic state from frustration.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:34 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:The only further DB stories I've ever had any remote interest in are the young adventures of Muten Roshi (rising up in the world of martial arts to become the legend he's seen as in the series) and the story of the nameless Namekian/son of Katatsu's journey to become Kami/God. Between both those characters, the sprinklings of history surrounding them, and the supporting cast of secondary characters that tie into them, there's a LOT of excellent material there for a solid enough "History of the Dragon Ball Earth's Martial World" detailing the generation of warriors before Goku's era that would make for an actually compelling and worthwhile prequel.

Otherwise, there really isn't anything else I'd consider particularly pressing or crying out for further expansion at this point. Particularly with regards to the Saiya-jin, who were already well and truly tapped out - backstory/history-wise - in the original run of the series (the Tsufuru, Baby, Hatchiyak, Bardock, King Vegeta, Paragus & Broli, etc) much less now with the revival material (endless more Bardock and now Broli).
There's actually 2 more things about the Saiyans that hasn't been fully explored yet: Yamoshi and the ancient saiyans in general, plus the history of the U6 Saiyans.

You could also make an OVA about Vegeta's early years up to the start of the Saiyan arc.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 pm

They could also make an OVA or a side-story about the origins of Android 17 & 18. Also well as one about Hit's origins.