Is there a "side-story" you wish would happen?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Is there a "side-story" you wish would happen?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:48 pm

I'd like to see origins of Tuffles and Tuffles vs Saiyans war ending with them launching Baby into space.
That could be good TV special episode during original GT airing and could make fans think for a while who was the real villain in all that.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:56 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:I'd like to see origins of Tuffles and Tuffles vs Saiyans war ending with them launching Baby into space.
That could be good TV special episode during original GT airing and could make fans think for a while who was the real villain in all that.
Baby is clearly the villain. A sob story doesn't make him not a bad guy given that he subjugates a race that had nothing to do with his beef with the Saiyans.

Of all the ideas mentioned the only one that sounds like a good idea is the young Muten Roshi story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:10 pm

ABED wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:I'd like to see origins of Tuffles and Tuffles vs Saiyans war ending with them launching Baby into space.
Baby is clearly the villain. A sob story doesn't make him not a bad guy given that he subjugates a race that had nothing to do with his beef with the Saiyans.
True. But if they showed his race being killed in such barbaric way his entire motivation would be more understandable. And while he is still a villain and earthlings didn't really make anything to deserve that, you could understand that after his peaceful race was used, betrayed and destroyed, he doesn't want to follow this anymore and rebuild Tuffles as aggresive empire this time. He totally had a reason to turn evil and never trust others. While he could be called a hypocrite, there is still a question who was the real evil, him or Saiyans.

Afterall, Vegeta was still evil on Namek, but you could still feel some sympathy and understand his actions at least a bit. But the difference is Saiyans were never good, even before Frieza enslaved them.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:13 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
ABED wrote:
True. But if they showed his race being killed in such barbaric way his entire motivation would be more understandable. And while he is still a villain and earthlings didn't really make anything to deserve that, you could understand that after his peaceful race was used, betrayed and destroyed, he doesn't want to follow this anymore and rebuild Tuffles as aggresive empire this time. He totally had a reason to turn evil and never trust others. While he could be called a hypocrite, there is still a question who was the real evil, him or Saiyans.
It's one thing to understand a motivation, and another to claim he's not one. There's no question that the Saiyans were evil. That doesn't make him a hero.

This story was dealt with well in the flashbacks.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:21 pm

Ooh, I want to see a story about Vegeta conquering and selling a planet but then do a sequel set after the Tournament of Power where he has to face the revenge of the survivors.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:A longstanding "what could've been" for anime filler than a lot of older fans actually WANTED to see was on a similar train of thought as this: Mr. Popo gathering the Dragon Balls for Kami to use to as part of Kaio's plan to bring back the Grand Elder of Namek at the end of the Freeza arc (when Goku's still fighting with Freeza).

Imagine if instead of ridiculous nonsense like Kaio recapping in his head half of the previous episode we'd JUST seen, or some of the more pointless cutaways to the Namekians, Bulma, and Gohan just waiting around on Earth not doing much (there's literally a scene where Bulma's just playing a wishing game with leaves :wtf: ), we instead had filler of Popo getting into all kinds of crazy shenanigans and adventures trying to quickly gather up the Earth's Dragon Balls in time to execute Kaio's plan of wishing back the Grand Elder.

Instead we got the ridiculous bits of egregious padding that made the back end of the Freeza arc in the Z anime such an infamous slog, and something as potentially fun and cool as Popo adventuring for the Dragon Balls on his own (a concept that seems tailor made for legitimately fun anime filler material) are left entirely off screen.
I imagine they didn't show it because that would have been too much work to write and animate compared to the "bottle episode" style of having three existing characters in three existing costumes get into easily-written shenanigans in a single, pre-existing location. I'm not familiar with the "thick of it" filler of Z since I only really got familiar with that part of the story through Kai, so it's amusing to hear about these filler moments, haha!
Kunzait_83 wrote:Ideally, a Dragon Ball prequel covering that material would indeed have the son of Katatsu's and young Muten Roshi's stories eventually intersect due to the crucial linking factor of Mutaito.
Yeah. I don't think a single story would be the best way to bring in viewers and keep attention; that early part of the series with SoK, Roshi, Tsuru Sen'nin, Mutaito, Grandpa Gohan, Karin, and so on could be told really well with Roshi as the sort of through-line.
Kunzait_83 wrote:I personally think that the flashback we get in the anime of Daimao's original attack on humanity is flat out awesome and a highlight of the whole anime series, and seeing that exact scenario (legions of Daimao's demon spawn causing mass chaos and havoc across the Earth and razing entire cities with little more than a few far flung martial arts schools, including Mutaito's, utilizing their superhuman Ki abilities as the sole effective defense against the demon army) more broadly fleshed out could easily be all kinds of kickass.
I actually always had a bit of a problem with that flashback simply because of how enormous the scale of it was. As a kid I always wondered why something so apocalyptic and destructive was apparently swept under the run with no evidence to show it actually happened. Not a single character, including Bulma, Yamcha and Oolong, make it known that they've ever heard of this stuff when it apparently happened within Roshi's lifetime. Thus when I came up to this scene in TFC I focused on Mutaito's confrontation with Daimao. But it isn't unprecedented: Daimao blowing up Central City, Jr. flattening Papaya Island, Nappa blowing up that one city, 19 and 20 killing everyone on the island, and Frieza blowing up the coastal city are all never mentioned again or have any ramifications to the world at large
sunsetshimmer wrote:True. But if they showed his race being killed in such barbaric way his entire motivation would be more understandable. And while he is still a villain and earthlings didn't really make anything to deserve that, you could understand that after his peaceful race was used, betrayed and destroyed, he doesn't want to follow this anymore and rebuild Tuffles as aggresive empire this time. He totally had a reason to turn evil and never trust others. While he could be called a hypocrite, there is still a question who was the real evil, him or Saiyans.
Personally I always saw Baby's reasoning for killing the barbaric Saiyans as a Freudian excuse, given that his plan is to assimilate those same Saiyans and kill them in as brutal a way as possible. At a certain point it steps out of being understandable and right into "okay you're just using that as an excuse to be evil", particularly because his race is ostensibly meant to be peaceful and research-driven. If what he says of them is true I'd imagine they'd feel insulted over him in Other World, haha.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:32 pm

As a kid I always wondered why something so apocalyptic and destructive was apparently swept under the run with no evidence to show it actually happened.
I get your point about Bulma, but when has something like the physical destruction had lasting evidence in DB world? Why would DB be concerned with the world at large's reaction to the destruction?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:43 pm

ABED wrote:
As a kid I always wondered why something so apocalyptic and destructive was apparently swept under the run with no evidence to show it actually happened.
I get your point about Bulma, but when has something like the physical destruction had lasting evidence in DB world? Why would DB be concerned with the world at large's reaction to the destruction?
I already pointed out how Dragon Ball did that a lot later on.

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:51 pm

They need to do side stories of U11, U2, U4, U5, U8, U9, U10, U12, U6, U3 and U1. Hopefully when dbs comes back next year they'll make arcs about all the different universes.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:11 am

Nokra wrote:They need to do side stories of U11, U2, U4, U5, U8, U9, U10, U12, U6, U3 and U1. Hopefully when dbs comes back next year they'll make arcs about all the different universes.
Could Not Agree More on these Points!

If Toei is Series about keeping these Universes Around and Using them, not just forgetting and moving onto the Next Big-Bad for Goku to Fight, Their focus SHOULD be on Developing these Universe's Backstories and Major Players from each Universe.

Without Any Surprises from Me :wink: ~~~ I Really Want and LOVE a Backstory and Journey to where she was up until the ToP started of Brianne De Chateau! Her start and journey in becoming Ribrianne, meeting her Friends Sanka Ku and Su Roas, the rest of her U2 Friends and how she become the #1 Hero and Goddess of U2. Also, how did U2 become devoted and such a Good Believer in the power of love and how does that effect their daily live! :thumbup:

Also a Backstory of Kale and Caulifla's early days I feel is a Must as well! Where Kale and Caulifla started and how they come to know each other and become as caring for each other as they do.

Also I hope we get an upgraded version of the Jiren Backstory from the general one from the ToP.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:30 am

I'd like to see Frieza's backstory... You know, his origins, how he became an emperor and stuff like that.

Also, I'd like to see what Nokra said. It would give some development to characters that were created for the only purpose of fighting in an inter-universal tournament.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:48 am

PFM18 wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:Yes, I have two:

- A side-story involving Gowasu and his quest to find a new apprentice. It would be a very interesting storyline involving Gowasu, a character whom many people adore, but it could also tie back to Zamasu, as Gowasu would be forced to come to terms with the fact that he failed his former pupil and played a part in his tragic descent into madness, but also to look to the future and find a new apprentice who may become everything that Zamasu should have been: Strong, understanding and wise. That could be Gowasu's chance to atone for his heinous msistakes.

- A side-story revolving around Zamasu's time as North Kai of Universe 10, before he became the exalted apprentice of Gowasu. It would be fascinating to see him when he was still a relatively calm and collected Kai, and I am especially intrigued by his mysterious winged pet. Maybe the hatred that Zamasu proved towards mortals had an even more sinister meaning than what we all thought.
Man. To come up with not one but two Zamasu arc related side stories. That's impressive
Not really, when a character has a lot of unused potential, it's very easy to come up with side stories for them.

Plus Zamasu has lived for many centuries before Dragon Ball Super, most of his backstory is largely unknown, the writers should take advantage of that to show how mortals really hurt Zamasu at an emotional level, hence why he was the only Kai who despised them so much. Especially since Zamasu was not evil in the beginning, he was good, noble and had purity of heart.

I have always suspected that the writers wanted to do more with Zamasu, but ran out of time and decided to cut his backstory. I really want to know what happened to his winged pet that he had when he was North Kai. If a mortal somehow killed that pet in front of his eyes, then I'd say that Zamasu's hatred for mortals would have been very understandable, since a mortal deprived him of the only creature he truly loved.

Just because a villain is dead and will never come back doesn't mean that the writers shouldn't develop that villain even further.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:40 am

I want to see the 24th Tenkaichi Budokai and how Mr Satan won it. I feel like that offscreen tourney marked the shift in the world from accepting of wacky shenanigans to being more grounded, so it'd be interesting to see that shift. It'd be interesting to see if there was ever a point where Satan had a real martial arts drive, or if he was a huckster from the start. Plus it could offer a look at young Videl, possibly her mother, set up things like Spopovich's grudge, etc.

The other thing I want is a Hit spin-off. An idea I came up with a while ago was a sort of semi-canon spinoff manga with all the Universe 6 characters as characters in a noir setting. That universe is weirdly well set up for the setting, which I'm not sure was intended.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:00 am

Kataphrut wrote:I want to see the 24th Tenkaichi Budokai and how Mr Satan won it. I feel like that offscreen tourney marked the shift in the world from accepting of wacky shenanigans to being more grounded, so it'd be interesting to see that shift. It'd be interesting to see if there was ever a point where Satan had a real martial arts drive, or if he was a huckster from the start. Plus it could offer a look at young Videl, possibly her mother, set up things like Spopovich's grudge, etc.
That would be cool too. I honestly believe that there is a side to Mr. Satan that is genuinely talented in martial arts (or at the very least, wrestling), and I feel he genuinely won the 24th TB on skill and intelligence alone. Just not anything involving ki because, well you know.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:53 am

As others have said, a young Roshi side-story holds tons of potential. I would totally watch/read it. Hell, you could probably make an entire series about it as there's tons of ground you could cover. His training with Mutaito, his friendship and falling out with Tsurennin, the battle against Piccolo, founding the Turtle school, developing the Kamehameha etc.

The story of the early Saiyans and how they met Freeza could be interesting. You could probably do a lot of interesting stuff with the war against the Tsufru but they would probably try too hard to make the Saiyans seems sympathetic and I don't really want to see that.

Most of all, I just want more stuff focusing on Kuririn, Ten, Yamcha. Do something cheap I dunno...a villain makes a virus that only affects people with alien blood so the earthlings have to step up.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:28 am

I want to see the story of how Caulifla and Kale met and built Caulifla's gang. I think you could do that as eight episodes, then do a four episode recreation of the Tournament of Power from their point-of-view and then a follow-up episode for a nice thirteen episode series. It'd also be a nice way to flesh out Caulifla's thoughts and feelings beyond just battle.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:33 am

TheBigBoy wrote:As others have said, a young Roshi side-story holds tons of potential. I would totally watch/read it. Hell, you could probably make an entire series about it as there's tons of ground you could cover. His training with Mutaito, his friendship and falling out with Tsurennin, the battle against Piccolo, founding the Turtle school, developing the Kamehameha etc.
Developing the Kamehameha could actually be a through line for the series, where he would be a pioneer of ki attacks that have yet to develop in the Dragon World. The doubts others would have combined with his perseverance could be used to symbolize his belief in himself as a martial artist, and he could be seen practicing it constantly to try and get it to work. Oh and he also spent three YEARS trying to get the Spirit Water for Korin, of course!

His relationship with the Crane Hermit would also be interesting further when you remember that Tao Pai Pai is his brother and thus would be a big negative influence on him given that he's a supremely talented assassin.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:38 am

I feel like there's a lot you can do with the newer characters. Hit, for instance, could benefit from his own side-story. If it goes well, it's added depth to the character. If it goes south, it's always disposable since it's just another piece of trash in the pile named after modern Dragon Ball.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:43 am

A future timeline story involving Gohan's maturing into a teenager and a young adult has always been a wish of mine. I would love to see what led to his transformation into the Super Saiyan form and how the macabre atmosphere surrounding him affected his development as a human being. It would also be cool to see just how the relationship between him and Trunks began and how it evolved throughout the years.

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:43 am

KBABZ wrote:

I also agree that seeing the backstory of characters like the Nameless Namekian and Roshi's early years with Tsuru Sen'nin and Mutaito. Maybe have those two stories collide so we can see a more realistic take on Daimao terrorizing the Earth* and see first-hand the divide between Mutaito's students grow to the breaking point when he himself dies. Roshi and Tsuru would also be old enough such that we could see the beginnings of the Tenkaichi Budokai. Maybe when Roshi and Tsuru compete, Roshi sees how Tsuru's victory goes to his head, which will influence the idea for him to later don the Jackie Chun disguise.

In the thread "What Origin movies would you want to see" from last December, i actually did make a story breakdown for such an combinded backstory, but be warned its quite Long:
There are many characters in DB with unknown background, which gives room for interesting stories and it could be great if Toei would produce Special Episodes for the backstories of Yamcha, Puar & Oolong, Ten & Chaiotzu, Grampa Gohan & Son Goku etc. But who knows if they woulden´t screw something up again...