Any idea when Funi's in-house dub of the Freeza saga was actually recorded?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Any idea when Funi's in-house dub of the Freeza saga was actually recorded?

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:54 am

We all know this dub began airing in April 1999 on Cartoon Network. On face value, It would be safe to presume it was recorded from late 1998 to early 1999 due to the large number of episodes.

I've read Chris Sabat or someone saying that he got hired in 1997, which makes sense since the in-house cast apparently did a test dub for the second Dragon Ball movie in 1997. However, Ocean were still in the picture during 1997 with the uncut dubs of the movies, which came out from November 1997 to May 1998, presumably being recorded in 1997. I honestly have no idea when Ocean's Season 2 (aired during the 1997-1998 season) might have been recorded. I read somewhere that both the Saiyan Saga and Namek Saga were completed by 1996, but also read elsewhere that Season 2 was completed in June 1997.

Further complicating matters is the fact the updated Rock the Dragon credits for Season 3 have a 1997 copyright date. This might very well just be negligence on FUNi's part. Yet, on the Rock the Dragon set, episodes from the Saiyan Saga have a 1996 copyright date, while Namek saga episodes and the edited Tree of Might dub have a 1997 copyright date, so it's not as if FUNi always just used the same copyright date for all incarnations of the Rock the Dragon outro.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Any idea when Funi's in-house dub of the Freeza saga was actually recorded?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:17 am

Minor point of correction. Season 3 started on Toonami on September 13, 1999. The first vhs release (Captain Ginyu Assault) was April 26th, 1999. At that point episodes were home video release first then would debut on Toonami in lightly edited for broadcast format.

I assume dubbing probably started in 1998 for season 3. Chris Sabat and some of the other actors probably were hired in 1997 for the Sleeping Princess in Devil’s test dub which was released in 1998.

Funimation may have very well been looking to move production in house before the Ocean Group had finished s2

ETA: i have my doubts Saban/Funi/Ocean season 2 was recorded back to back with season 1. As I understand it the 35 episode Saiyan saga was cut down to 26 episodes because they weren’t sure if they would get a second season and needed the first season to have a definitive stopping points.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Any idea when Funi's in-house dub of the Freeza saga was actually recorded?

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:00 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Minor point of correction. Season 3 started on Toonami on September 13, 1999. The first vhs release (Captain Ginyu Assault) was April 26th, 1999. At that point episodes were home video release first then would debut on Toonami in lightly edited for broadcast format.

I assume dubbing probably started in 1998 for season 3. Chris Sabat and some of the other actors probably were hired in 1997 for the Sleeping Princess in Devil’s test dub which was released in 1998.

Funimation may have very well been looking to move production in house before the Ocean Group had finished s2

ETA: i have my doubts Saban/Funi/Ocean season 2 was recorded back to back with season 1. As I understand it the 35 episode Saiyan saga was cut down to 26 episodes because they weren’t sure if they would get a second season and needed the first season to have a definitive stopping points.
The size of the episode order was also probably what they had for their budget.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.