Was Yu Yu Hakusho trying to copy Dragon Ball Z?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shiro97

Re: Was Yu Yu Hakusho trying to copy Dragon Ball Z?

Post by Shiro97 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:43 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
Not to mention Saint Seiya came out in 1986, when Dragon Ball was in the middle of the Red Ribbon arc.
Just out of curiosity, why is Saint Seiya being brought up in reference to Dragon Ball. I do have the odd chapter but it's in Japanese so I don't have much to go on. Could you explain the connection, like is it a martial arts thing or what? I don't get it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:01 am

Vijay wrote:if anythin, I'd say HXH was copied frm YYH

DBZ was copied frm DB which was copied frm Journey to West

YYH & DBZ had lotsa similarities. True.

But I dare say dat was not deliberate intention of Togashi fer sure.

Stream online YYH's 1st Arc. It wasnt even tryin to be anythin remotely shounen.

Though I'd say it got progressively action-oriented the moment epic, legendary Genkai was introduced...till 3 Kings Arc...good times

My personal fav was Sensui Arc. Like....no other series could've crafted such thrilling & smart threads into a tale woven keeping in mind of grand scheme of things: 7 dudes: Doctor, Sailor, Sniper etc...followed by Sensui's climatic battle against Yusuke, Hiei, Kurama vs Sensui....even frickin Yenma & his frickin Dad had to intervene....dafuq???!!! To say nothin abt Yusuke's Mazoku transformation & dat single-glimpse of foreshadowing his ancestal lineage leading-up to its next big arc....holy crap!!! Such great moments
Do you hear yourself? how can DBZ copy DB when it’s the same series?

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:27 am

@Dbzfan94

DB has different tone: An ensemble likable characters with relatable traits, casual, frolic fun adventure with some downright hilarious slapstick & toilet humors that progressively became significantly martial-arts oriented

Z had this brutal, hardcore & epic feel/vibe to it. Be it the beautifully crafted action choreography, intense dramatic/epic moments, down to its musical score...simply an altogether different league

I'd say DBZ incorporated DB's blueprints (martial-arts, large canvas of cast & humor) into its own blend of universal-scale adventure

In dat sense....yeah. I'd say DBZ somewhat feels inspired piece of work of DB

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:01 am

Vijay wrote:@Dbzfan94

DB has different tone: An ensemble likable characters with relatable traits, casual, frolic fun adventure with some downright hilarious slapstick & toilet humors that progressively became significantly martial-arts oriented

Z had this brutal, hardcore & epic feel/vibe to it. Be it the beautifully crafted action choreography, intense dramatic/epic moments, down to its musical score...simply an altogether different league

I'd say DBZ incorporated DB's blueprints (martial-arts, large canvas of cast & humor) into its own blend of universal-scale adventure

In dat sense....yeah. I'd say DBZ somewhat feels inspired piece of work of DB
Um....again, it's the SAME SERIES. Of course it's going to have the same traits from earlier in its own continuity.

Unless you're doing some sort of bit here.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:05 am

TbH, I always thought Hiei's design and personality was somewhat inspired by Vegeta, but given that Vegeta had been around for about only two years before YYH started and had yet to be as popular as he is today, that' was probably not the case.

Shiro97

Post by Shiro97 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:22 am

Michsi wrote:TbH, I always thought Hiei's design and personality was somewhat inspired by Vegeta, but given that Vegeta had been around for about only two years before YYH started and had yet to be as popular as he is today, that' was probably not the case.
There was a mini comic that Togashi did not long after YYH finished where at the end he mentions who he based Hiei off of. I have no idea who the character is so it doesn't help me much. But I linked it down below either way.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:32 am

Shiro97 wrote:
Michsi wrote:TbH, I always thought Hiei's design and personality was somewhat inspired by Vegeta, but given that Vegeta had been around for about only two years before YYH started and had yet to be as popular as he is today, that' was probably not the case.
There was a mini comic that Togashi did not long after YYH finished where at the end he mentions who he based Hiei off of. I have no idea who the character is so it doesn't help me much. But I linked it down below either way.
Thanks!

Well, what do you know.

Well, by the time YYH ended, Vegeta got pretty popular, so it makes sense the comparisons would catch up, though I didn't think the author would actually address it. I just looked when this Patalliro manga was published, and frankly it makes a little more sense.

Shiro97

Post by Shiro97 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:56 am

Michsi wrote:
Shiro97 wrote:
Thanks!

Well, what do you know.

Well, by the time YYH ended, Vegeta got pretty popular, so it makes sense the comparisons would catch up, though I didn't think the author would actually address it. I just looked when this Patalliro manga was published, and frankly it makes a little more sense.
No problem dude. It's a pretty insightful comic honestly, he goes into why he ended it so suddenly and there's even a part where he toys with the idea of all the main characters being actors in a show. But as far as Hiei resembling Vegeta, I think that has more to do with familiarity with one over the other personally. I don't think the target demographic of YYH were gonna be familiar with something like Patalliro.