Dragon Ball Chapter 79 title page in partial color in Shonen Jump only?!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

tronk21
Not-So-Newbie

Dragon Ball Chapter 79 title page in partial color in Shonen Jump only?!

Post by tronk21 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:48 pm

I've noticed a very interesting auction on Yahoo Japan Auctions that made me very curious. It's sold out now, but here's the link:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/316399073

There, I noticed in the photos from Weekly Shonen Jump No. 29 of 1986, which featured Chapter 79 of Dragon Ball, that the title page is in a limited color palette!! Take a look below:

Now what's so shocking about this is that in the Kanzenban version of the manga, which is supposed to contain all the colored pages, this page is in regular black-and-white. How come? Can the chapter be found in the red and grey scale in Shonen Jump only? It would seem so because of this photo:

That's the table of contents. You can see "Dragon Ball" title listed as second from the top. And usually when a manga chapter is holds the second place in those Shonen Jump tables of contents, it means that it is featured in a limited color palette (or red a grey scale in the magazine). So I think it may be a Dragon Ball chapter with the same structure as Chapter 134 where only the title page was featured in limited color and the rest of the chapter was black-and-white.

Still, there's something fishy about this. When you look at the title page above, you'll notice that neither the characters' faces nor the rocks are colored at all. Upon investigating a little using my own Shonen Jump collection, I discovered that even in the limited color chapters things like rocks are in color (see Dragon Ball Chapter 3 in Kanzenban for reference). So the rocks should have been brown. And the faces should have stronger skin tone with Goku's face being darker like in most chapters. And yet this unusual color choice. I don't know what's going on.

Still, I think it's interesting to speculate whether the title page was colored by Toriyama that way and provided to Shueisha in partial color or is it something that Shonen Jump staff added on their own. They are know for adding colors, but it's always in the already colored chapters and never in fully black-and-white ones. So does anyone know anything more about this? If not then I'm at least glad I could share this with you. Thanks!
Last edited by tronk21 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Chapter 79 title page in partial color in Shonen Jump only?!

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:01 pm

Wow. Fascinating find. I wish I knew anything more about this to add to your search. But I'm grateful you shared it!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

tronk21
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tronk21 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:45 pm

Sure, no problem, I'm glad you liked it. I was hoping that either you or especially SaiyaJedi knew more about this. I see I can cross you off the list then.

One more thing that needs to be explored, I think. Please compare the above Shonen Jump page with their Tankobon and Kanzenban counterparts:

Tankobon:
Kanzenban:
While in the Kanzenban version there is nothing out of ordinary, take a look at the Tankobon picture. There's this funky background for the areas surrounding the main picture. It's looks similar to the reddish one from Shonen Jump. I don't know what this proves though. I personally suspect that Toriyama didn't initially color this page and Shueisha has decided to enrich the picture with some color after he submitted the chapter. Given how he disliked drawing colored chapters as it was too much work and how he complained about it a lot in the table of contents comments in Jump, I'd say that's at least very possible that he had nothing to do with altering the chapter cover. Does anyone own this particular issue of Shonen Jump (No. 29 of 1986)? It would help if someone confirmed whether the rest of the pages from the chapter itself are in partial color or not in the magazine. Thanks for your interest!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:32 pm

I know shonen Jump added some extra colors to the pages so this may be a case of that

tronk21
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tronk21 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:22 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:I know shonen Jump added some extra colors to the pages so this may be a case of that
Oh, I thought of you when it comes to people who could answer my question. I know you have a very decent collection of Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball chapters yourself. I still hope to see someday that title page with Bulma and her cigarrette from issue #4-5/1985, which I don't own and I saw you do.

Judging by your answer, I assume you don't have that particular issue in question to confirm if Chapter 79 itself is in black and white. Oh well, I'm content that this thread generated this much interest it did because it's super nerdy anyway.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:18 pm

tronk21 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:I know shonen Jump added some extra colors to the pages so this may be a case of that
Oh, I thought of you when it comes to people who could answer my question. I know you have a very decent collection of Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball chapters yourself. I still hope to see someday that title page with Bulma and her cigarrette from issue #4-5/1985, which I don't own and I saw you do.

Judging by your answer, I assume you don't have that particular issue in question to confirm if Chapter 79 itself is in black and white. Oh well, I'm content that this thread generated this much interest it did because it's super nerdy anyway.
I can take a photo of it if youd like :D I dont have chapter 79 unfortunately but it looks to be the same colors that are in the limited color palate and not yellowed by the age of time.

tronk21
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tronk21 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:30 pm

That would be highly appreciated. I wrote a PM to you about Chapter 5 title page. As for the title page of Chapter 79, I think you're right and Jump staff added these colors themselves, turning the page into a regular red and grey scale picture although leaving the rocks white. But now I'm wondering about something else. I'm curious whether anything else besides the title page is in any sort of color in this chapter. Maybe one or two pages of the chapter itself are colored? Or the whole thing? I highly doubt it because if this was the case someone somewhere on the Internet would have already discovered it and wrote about it.

The issue is now on sale in these two places:

https://item.mercari.com/jp/m94845216164/

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f249785826

I can't buy it because I'd like to focus on purchasing DB cassette tapes for my main project but maybe someone else would like to so I present these links to you.

tronk21
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tronk21 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:21 pm

Hello, again. Sorry to revive this kinda old thread, but I think the newly-discovered information on this subject easily justifies me doing so.

As I said earlier, I wondered whether only the title page of the chapter is in color or more pages in the chapter itself and the only thing that can be done in order to find out is to buy the magazine in question. Well, I did just that! And I have some great news.

Not only the title page is in limited color, but the first TEN pages of the chapter!! Isn't that a blast? I can barely contain my excitement. I've already scanned all the red and grey scale pages of the chapter and the first black-and-white page (page 11 of the chapter). Here's the title page and the first page:
I could share the entire chapter here. But I don't want to get into trouble and be banned or something. So I'm going to ask the administration: It is okay for me to show the remaining scans of the chapter here? I know it's copyrighted material. But I think that's somewhat different from me putting some link to pirated music or something, which can be purchased with ease. This is a very rare magazine that certainly isn't readily available to be bought at once. Besides, it's kinda important piece of Dragon Ball history and I think a quite exciting discovery that is this batch of the 10 colored pages that cannot be found on any other release in this form. Well, besides the Full Color version but these were digitally colored and I'm talking about the original colors by most probably Toriyama. So I will only provide the remainder of my scans if I get a greenlight from the Kanzenshuu staff. If not, that's understandable too, rules are rules.

I still can't believe that these colored pages existed in the original Jump, waiting to be discovered! I wonder why Kanzenban, a seemingly perfect and all-inclusive manga release, didn't include those pages in color and instead provided the black-and-white ones. As a matter of fact, why there are two versions of a DB chapter in the first place? It isn't the case with any other chapter of the series. Anyway, Kanzenban dropped the ball on this one. Fortunately, there are some fans who are willing to dig out these old magazines and gather more and more exciting and interesting stuff like that!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:41 pm

For fun here is the Mook release

Image Image