Why hire an old lady when you can get a dude?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Why hire an old lady when you can get a dude?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:07 pm

ABED wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
ABED wrote:Point being that little children's voices change quick. If a kid voiced Gohan, we would've had at least 15 by now. You're not taking into account all the different video games over the years.
The video games aren't important to me.
Even if we limit it to the anime. Gohan was a kid for several years, then there's Kai. We would've burned through 4 or 5 Gohans.
Perhaps, and I understand the rationale behind having women playing these characters, but it’s still not something I’m particularly fond of.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:11 pm

I've been idly considering the idea that Goku's English VA should've had an Appalachian drawl.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:59 pm

Goku is not macho like Kenishro or the Joestar family. So Goku having a high pitch voice fits his man-child nature.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:50 am

Sometimes the opposite happens as during the Amazon Lily arc of One Piece, the dub has one woman Sweet Pea voiced by a man. In Japanese, she's voiced by the lady who voiced Japanese Orochimaru, but not in English. Heck, Doug Goodrich even joked about it in the commentary of how he and two others were different than their characters. Sarah Weidenheft mentioned she was really short in comparison to her character being really tall, and he said he wasn't a woman.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:25 am

Ripper 30 wrote: Sean's Goku sounds like a Macho deep voiced manly hero who ALSO is goofy. When it's mostly other way round.
That's exactly what I think. The Japanese version sees Goku as a goofy man child who also is the strongest guy in the earth while in most dubs, it's the other way around (the strongest guy in the earth who also is a goofy manchild).

mrpinbert

Post by mrpinbert » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:28 am

Because I'm pretty sure she has been voicing the character from the beginning.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:21 am

Regarding Fist of the North Star's Kenshiro and his voice.

Just something crucial to note: while Kenshiro's voice is normally fairly deep and masculine, that's not QUITE the case exactly when he's fighting. Rather famously/iconically so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIvcWqzTHw8

Like many martial arts heroes, Kenshiro's kiai noises while fighting are very much high pitched and squaky, in the Bruce Lee-esque tradition.

As a consequence of Nozawa's Goku performance, that's quite honestly how ALL of Goku's fight scenes throughout DB/Z come across: like similarly Bruce Lee-ish high pitched "Hwah TAAA!!!" Kiai shouts. Even Yamucha's Japanese voice actor Toru Furuya, does much the same thing throughout many of Yamucha's fights, as do many other various characters throughout the Japanese version while fighting.

Nozawa, when in serious scenes as adult Goku, is also more than capable as needed of taking Goku's voice down to a much lower, and at times genuinely menacing, register.

https://youtu.be/PbEmExeyTWQ?t=105

As she also does even more frequently with evil characters she voices like Bardock, Tullece, and Goku Black.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:29 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:https://youtu.be/PbEmExeyTWQ?t=105

As she also does even more frequently with evil characters she voices like Bardock, Tullece, and Goku Black.
Man, Nozawa used to be good as Goku, what happened?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:38 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:

What happened simple she aged, she is 82 years old so of course her voice doesn't sounds as well as before. But I fear the day she will pass away who will voice Goku afterward. Does they have already an actor who are ready to take upon the mantle of Nozawa-san ? :(
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:41 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:

What happened simple she aged, she is 82 years old so of course her voice doesn't sounds as well as before. But I fear the day she will pass away who will voice Goku afterward. Does they have already an actor who are ready to take upon the mantle of Nozawa-san ? :(
I don't think I agree with it being age, she sounds fine if non-Super stuff but when she's recording the main thing now, her voice losses absolutely all range with Goku.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:45 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Man, Nozawa used to be good as Goku, what happened?
I don't think I agree with it being age, she sounds fine if non-Super stuff but when she's recording the main thing now, her voice losses absolutely all range with Goku.
Well if it's not her age I don't know what is it then. It's the only logical reason to me.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:Well if it's not her age I don't know what is it then. It's the only logical reason to me.
She just might be exhausted from playing that role while still pretending she loves it. Yes, she's amazing as Goku but she's already in her 80's and Masako Nozawa deserves to retire and take a long vacation from all that DB stuff.

The normal age for people to pass away is anywhere from 50-100 so she's nearing the end of the road, as morbid as that may be to admit it.

P.S. Yeah, there are actors and actresses who played their roles all the way to the end of their lives and that was their decision but even still, it was excessive because they didn't give themselves time to appreciate their time that they had while they were alive and enjoy doing, eating, seeing and whatever.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: Well if it's not her age I don't know what is it then. It's the only logical reason to me.
Directing from the voice director could be to fault.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:45 pm

I feel like they could always...just stop making new Dragon Ball stuff. We wouldn’t even have the new stuff if not for Dragon Ball Evolution being a thing that exist apprently

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:47 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:Do they have already an actor who are ready to take upon the mantle of Nozawa-san ? :(
Most likely. Dragon Ball for TOEI Animation goes way beyond than just Akira Toriyama, Masako Nozawa, Shunsuke Kikuchi or what BANDAI Namco Entertainment does because it's too profitable to kill it off.

Dragon Ball without Goku simply wouldn't work properly. Even SDBH has like two Gokus (SSJ4 and Blue) at all times unless you'd also want to count "Evil Saiyan" that also resembles another Goku clone. lol

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:50 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:I feel like they could always...just stop making new Dragon Ball stuff. We wouldn’t even have the new stuff if not for Dragon Ball Evolution being a thing that exist apprently
This a thousand times over.

Examining why it is exactly that there are so many people who are seemingly incapable of letting this thing go or accepting that the original 1984-1995 run was already a MASSIVELY dense, jam-packed experience with more than enough material that can easily last someone a lifetime over and was about as far the exact polar opposite of something that had all this untapped potential and didn't have a chance to flesh itself out enough, is enough of a fandom-wide complex that's at this point worthy of its own thread.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:55 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Man, Nozawa used to be good as Goku, what happened?
I disagree. I think she and others just phone it in when voicing videogames or promo material. Nevertheless, the cause of her lackluster performances in Super is: direction. Goku's characterization in Super is off, so her performance feels off as well since she's not really portraying Goku.

Unless you're talking about screams; some of her screams are weak, but she can still let out powerful ones.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:02 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:I feel like they could always...just stop making new Dragon Ball stuff. We wouldn’t even have the new stuff if not for Dragon Ball Evolution being a thing that exist apprently

Examining why it is exactly that there are so many people who are seemingly incapable of letting this thing go or accepting that the original 1984-1995 run was already a MASSIVELY dense, jam-packed experience with more than enough material that can easily last someone a lifetime over and was about as far the exact polar opposite of something that had all this untapped potential and didn't have a chance to flesh itself out enough, is enough of a fandom-wide complex that's at this point worthy of its own thread.
You could say the same thing about Star Wars which is being run to the ground but as long as it's lucrative for Disney and EA, they don't care.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:43 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:

You could say the same thing about Star Wars which is being run to the ground but as long as it's lucrative for Disney and EA, they don't care.
In the case of the Star Wars franchise, Disney is supposedly going to be scaling things back after Solo bombed. With that being said, I can’t imagine Dragon Ball having a flop anytime soon.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:47 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:You could say the same thing about Star Wars which is being run to the ground but as long as it's lucrative for Disney and EA, they don't care.
I certainly can and would if this were a Star Wars site.

A decent chunk of nerd properties in general throughout the past few decades now are simply aging or ancient properties being continuously dug up from their coffins and run into the ground long past their end point in lieu of investing in new and original IP, and its godawful. I understand fully why the corporations behind this do it ($$$) so that's not even where a lot of my dumbfounded awe at the whole thing goes to: its more at the actual fans themselves who refuse to stop rewarding this crap with their wallets and behave at times almost like shameless smack addicts, reacting with almost a Pavlovian response of grotesque gluttony to corporate marketing and pandering to their inner 3rd grader's id.

The constant cultural wallowing in mindless nostalgia that has defined so much of 21st century pop culture now is a symbiotic two-way street, with the corporate IP holders acting as pushers, and the fanboys as willing and eager dope fiends who'll always reliably come back and back and back and back, cash in hand, for another hit, fruitlessly chasing the dragon of highs that they obsess over and fetishize from decades ago when they were little.

Dragon Ball is merely one of the latest in a long, long ongoing trend of this type of nonsense, and its just as tiresome and soul-deadening here as its been everywhere else.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread