Masako Nozawa Interview - ComicBook.com

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Masako Nozawa Interview - ComicBook.com

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote: It wasn't a normal situation. That doesn't make him out of character. His friend was just killed. It's understandable that Goku would want to finish the fight and make him suffer. And I know you said it, you didn't explain how he was acting out of character beyond quoting Kaio.
Goku specifically says he wants Freeza to suffer. That's not Goku. I'm not really sure why you you can't see it's out of character. The point of the Super Saiyan transformation was to leave him out of character to show how he stays true to his nature later on. A furious, bloodlusted Goku is inherently out of character, but that's the point, like it was when Gohan went SS2.
I think we have our wires crossed then. When I see "out of character" it's meant that the writer screwed up. In this case, yes, he's not acting like his usual self, but clearly some variable(s) has changed. Not just Super Saiyan, but Goku has never been in a situation like this against an enemy like Freeza. Even then, I don't think Goku wanting someone who wronged him to suffer is at all out of character.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:56 pm

ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote: It wasn't a normal situation. That doesn't make him out of character. His friend was just killed. It's understandable that Goku would want to finish the fight and make him suffer. And I know you said it, you didn't explain how he was acting out of character beyond quoting Kaio.
Goku specifically says he wants Freeza to suffer. That's not Goku. I'm not really sure why you you can't see it's out of character. The point of the Super Saiyan transformation was to leave him out of character to show how he stays true to his nature later on. A furious, bloodlusted Goku is inherently out of character, but that's the point, like it was when Gohan went SS2.
I think we have our wires crossed then. When I see "out of character" it's meant that the writer screwed up. In this case, yes, he's not acting like his usual self, but clearly some variable(s) has changed. Not just Super Saiyan, but Goku has never been in a situation like this against an enemy like Freeza. Even then, I don't think Goku wanting someone who wronged him to suffer is at all out of character.
TV Tropes actually has a trope for this situation called Out Of Character Is Serious Business. Goku and Gohan's behaviour when first Super Saiyan 1/2 would fall under this, and I'd highly argue that Goku's behaviour when first encountering Tambourine counts as this as well. I think for most people if a character is out of character due to bad writing, that's just called bad writing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:03 pm

First, I hate TV tropes. Apparently anything that happens more than once is a trope. Second, this isn't out of character, it's simply a different situation bringing out a different side of him, but it's not inconsistent with who Goku is. His best friend has been murdered, his son was threatened, Piccolo is injured, and his extreme emotional state lead to him transforming. Of course he would want Freeza to suffer.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:06 pm

Is this interview part of this @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RFFC_FeJoo

Haven't seen the DB part of the vid yet but plan to. Always better to have video footage, if possible. Anything with Nozawa is worth archiving. :)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:26 pm

Agreed. Seeing her at a comic con was not something I thought I'd ever see. Her love of the character is evident.