Masako Nozawa Interview - ComicBook.com

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Masako Nozawa Interview - ComicBook.com

Post by Doctor. » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:35 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Nozawa's got an interesting view of him, though one I don't think really jives with some recent events, specifically the ToP where he kicks things off purely to cure his own boredom and its only a really lucky, and unforeseeable series of events that lets things NOT end with everyone dead.
I think her view fits in very well with the way Toei portrayed Goku in the movies and GT. And considering how it's "heroic" Goku the one the videogames and promo material portray the most, then it's no surprise she feels this way after years of playing him. Her experience with Toriyama's Goku is limited in comparison.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:07 pm

Interesting interview.

Don't really agree with the Nozowa's interpretation of Goku's characterisation. While Goku is a person who looks out for his family, friends, and has varying degrees of empathy for those aren't in his inner circle, he's more than willing to extremely morally ambiguous and questionable decisions satisfy his hunger for battle and sate his thirst to break through any glass ceiling of strength.

Goku is certainly not a man who just wants peace or wants everyone to get along. He's not a traditional superhero. Goku is a person who looks for a challenge -- even if its by proxy -- first and foremost, and any of the positive effects that come from that mentality are usually accidental.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Interesting interview.

Don't really agree with the Nozowa's interpretation of Goku's characterisation. While Goku is a person who looks out for his family, friends, and has varying degrees of empathy for those aren't in his inner circle, he's more than willing to extremely morally ambiguous and questionable decisions satisfy his hunger for battle and sate his thirst to break through any glass ceiling of strength.

Goku is certainly not a man who just wants peace or wants everyone to get along. He's not a traditional superhero. Goku is a person who looks for a challenge -- even if its by proxy -- first and foremost, and any of the positive effects that come from that mentality are usually accidental.
It feels like Toei and Toriyama created two entirely different versions of Goku's character, and the voice actress would predictably go with the version that she's been voicing for decades.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:28 pm

There is one interview on kanzenshuu where Toriyama and Nozawa-san sat next to each other and she described Goku and he was like "woah, you described him better than I did, and I am the creator!" so I am fairly sure she understands Goku when even Toriyama-san acknowledges that.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:35 pm

What is Son Goku to Toriyama-sensei?

Toriyama: At any rate, I wanted him to have the sense of being that rare guy who seeks only “to become stronger than before”, so much so that it feels like “there’s no one as pure as this person”. And while he does end up saving everyone as a result of that,
he himself at least has a very pure sincerity about “wanting to become stronger”. What I wanted to depict the most was the sense that he might not be a good guy at all, although he does do good things as a result.
Nozawa: A strong person like this would absolutely show off that “I’m strong”, wouldn’t they? But [Goku] would absolutely not come out with that, would he? I’m always saying this to everyone, but the world would be an incredibly nice place if it were full of people like Goku.

Toriyama: I have a feeling that the world wouldn’t operate very well. (laughs)

Nozawa: (laughs)

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... cial-talk/

:lol: :lol:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:54 pm

PFM18 wrote:I'm impressed that she is able to voice act so well while misinterpreting the character so much.
Everyone has their own interpretation of what Son is supposed to be like. No need to insult Masako Nozawa.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:12 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
PFM18 wrote:I'm impressed that she is able to voice act so well while misinterpreting the character so much.
Everyone has their own interpretation of what Son is supposed to be like. No need to insult Masako Nozawa.
I love her as a voice actor, don't get me wrong. I just don't think she has a logical description of the character.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:51 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:What is Son Goku to Toriyama-sensei?

Toriyama: At any rate, I wanted him to have the sense of being that rare guy who seeks only “to become stronger than before”, so much so that it feels like “there’s no one as pure as this person”. And while he does end up saving everyone as a result of that,
he himself at least has a very pure sincerity about “wanting to become stronger”. What I wanted to depict the most was the sense that he might not be a good guy at all, although he does do good things as a result.
Nozawa: A strong person like this would absolutely show off that “I’m strong”, wouldn’t they? But [Goku] would absolutely not come out with that, would he? I’m always saying this to everyone, but the world would be an incredibly nice place if it were full of people like Goku.

Toriyama: I have a feeling that the world wouldn’t operate very well. (laughs)

Nozawa: (laughs)

:lol: :lol:
About Son Goku’s growth

Nozawa: He really does, becoming an adult. And he isn’t really aware of it himself, like, “I want to do something like this,” or “I want to do that”. Before he realizes it, naturally, while he’s meeting up with everyone. He has battles as well, and while he’s experiencing all these different things, it just naturally becomes ingrained into him, into his body, into his big heart.
Toriyama: Ahh, that’s so much better than the creator’s answer. (laughs)

Nozawa: Hahahaha. (laughs)

Toriyama: It certainly is, though, maybe. He doesn’t seem like he’s grown, but in that sense, he certainly has.

Nozawa: I think he absolutely has.

Toriyama-san definitely cherishes her thoughts.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Tavarano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tavarano » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:21 pm

How is it possible that someone who played Goku for decades still thinks that he is the hope of the universe?
Akira Toriyama wrote:As a rule, there is no such thing as a theme in my work.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:32 pm

Tavarano wrote:How is it possible that someone who played Goku for decades still thinks that he is the hope of the universe?

The anime has always depicted Goku in a more heroic light. The US dub might have taken it too far, but even in the original, Goku's character has always been "nicer" than his manga Version. Toriyama has even mentioned this difference. Anyway, it's the animated version that Masako Nozawa knows, so it would make sense for her to see him differently.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Personally for me, Goku's character is best in a sort of middle-ground, where training and fighting drives him both short-term and long-term, and gets him into fights with some pretty bad people (Piccolo, Frieza, Cell, Buu), but when push comes to shove and they start hurting other people, he's unafraid to drop the shit and protect people because it's the right thing to do. Personally, this is backed up with things like him fighting the Red Ribbon Army, Tao Pai-Pai killing Bora for no reason, and of course fighting Daimao being almost entirely a journey about avenging Krillin for him. And the big one of course is Frieza: while Goku is initially very excited about fighting this guy, at a certain point Frieza's overwhelming power and the way he uses it starts to scare Goku straight. Thus then Frieza kills Krillin and threatens Gohan, the gloves are off and Goku fights for a nobler cause.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:51 pm

KBABZ wrote:Personally for me, Goku's character is best in a sort of middle-ground, where training and fighting drives him both short-term and long-term, and gets him into fights with some pretty bad people (Piccolo, Frieza, Cell, Buu), but when push comes to shove and they start hurting other people, he's unafraid to drop the shit and protect people because it's the right thing to do. Personally, this is backed up with things like him fighting the Red Ribbon Army, Tao Pai-Pai killing Bora for no reason, and of course fighting Daimao being almost entirely a journey about avenging Krillin for him. And the big one of course is Frieza: while Goku is initially very excited about fighting this guy, at a certain point Frieza's overwhelming power and the way he uses it starts to scare Goku straight. Thus then Frieza kills Krillin and threatens Gohan, the gloves are off and Goku fights for a nobler cause.
While certainly noble in many respects, Goku is still Goku. He convinces his friends to let him stay on Namek so he could finish the fight even though the planet's destruction was imminent.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:57 pm

ABED wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Personally for me, Goku's character is best in a sort of middle-ground, where training and fighting drives him both short-term and long-term, and gets him into fights with some pretty bad people (Piccolo, Frieza, Cell, Buu), but when push comes to shove and they start hurting other people, he's unafraid to drop the shit and protect people because it's the right thing to do. Personally, this is backed up with things like him fighting the Red Ribbon Army, Tao Pai-Pai killing Bora for no reason, and of course fighting Daimao being almost entirely a journey about avenging Krillin for him. And the big one of course is Frieza: while Goku is initially very excited about fighting this guy, at a certain point Frieza's overwhelming power and the way he uses it starts to scare Goku straight. Thus then Frieza kills Krillin and threatens Gohan, the gloves are off and Goku fights for a nobler cause.
While certainly noble in many respects, Goku is still Goku. He convinces his friends to let him stay on Namek so he could finish the fight even though the planet's destruction was imminent.
That wasn't for the sake of the fight. He just wanted to torture Freeza. He wasn't being noble nor "just Goku," he was deliberately out-of-character.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:11 pm

Goku wasn't fighting for a noble cause after Freeza killed Krillin, he only briefly mentions Freeza killing innocents and he quickly says "Innocents like Krillin", and he wanted to beat and humiliate Freeza.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:16 pm

ABED wrote:
That too. After all, Goku disengages the fight because he was satisfied that Frieza was sufficiently humiliated; if it were a 100% noble cause he would have killed Frieza outright. As I said, to me Goku is best as a mix of the manga and (japanese) anime takes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:15 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote:
That wasn't for the sake of the fight. He just wanted to torture Freeza. He wasn't being noble nor "just Goku," he was deliberately out-of-character.
He wasn't out of character. How was that out of character?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:22 am

ABED wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ABED wrote: While certainly noble in many respects, Goku is still Goku. He convinces his friends to let him stay on Namek so he could finish the fight even though the planet's destruction was imminent.
He wasn't out of character. How was that out of character?
I just said it. Goku wanted Freeza to suffer. Kaio himself says Goku isn't acting normally.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:23 am

I just said it. Goku wanted Freeza to suffer. Kaio himself says Goku isn't acting normally.
It wasn't a normal situation. That doesn't make him out of character. His friend was just killed. It's understandable that Goku would want to finish the fight and make him suffer. And I know you said it, you didn't explain how he was acting out of character beyond quoting Kaio.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:24 am

So Gohan wasn’t OOC vs Cell?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:43 pm

ABED wrote: It wasn't a normal situation. That doesn't make him out of character. His friend was just killed. It's understandable that Goku would want to finish the fight and make him suffer. And I know you said it, you didn't explain how he was acting out of character beyond quoting Kaio.
Goku specifically says he wants Freeza to suffer. That's not Goku. I'm not really sure why you you can't see it's out of character. The point of the Super Saiyan transformation was to leave him out of character to show how he stays true to his nature later on. A furious, bloodlusted Goku is inherently out of character, but that's the point, like it was when Gohan went SS2.