Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:11 pm

https://www.hobbyconsolas.com/noticias/ ... ampaign=HC

Here's hoping it's not cropped and/or DNR'ed!

This is what Google Translate gave me, but maybe a native speaker could give a better translation:
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

danielsan_190196
Beyond Newbie

Re: Original Dragon Ball anime to be released on Blu Ray in Spain

Post by danielsan_190196 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:09 pm

From 'Salón del manga' (image stolen from Twitter)Image

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:36 pm

Cropped? This isn't FUNimation. ;)
danielsan_190196 wrote:From 'Salón del manga' (image stolen from Twitter)Image
Looks about the same but an upscale, more or less.

Btw, you didn't 'steal' it but borrow. If you want to be technical, then it was Salón del Manga who stole from Selecta Vision for sharing without their consent. But who cares.

Selecta Visión really likes to make their own improved releases though this time they should have just waited. TOEI has given some pretty strong signs of what they've remastered already. Dragon Ball is probably on the cards too.

To be fair, at least it's gonna be on Blu-ray so it'll be more durable than DVD.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:53 pm

HOLY CRAP I JUST GOT VERY EXCITED!!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:15 pm

I hardly think you can judge anything based on a photo of a projection, let alone call it an upscale.

That aside, they spoke about how this was something they negotiated with Toei Animation, so I don't know if this is 100% their own doing.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is all part of Toei overhauling everything in HD at the moment.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:29 pm

Ajay wrote:I hardly think you can judge anything based on a photo of a projection, let alone call it an upscale.

That aside, they spoke about how this was something they negotiated with Toei Animation, so I don't know if this is 100% their own doing.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is all part of Toei overhauling everything in HD at the moment.
By what it says on that pic, it would appear that Selecta Visión may be releasing an actual remastered high definition Blu-ray release of Dragon Ball but hard to tell. Selecta Visión's past releases on Blu-ray were leftovers from FUNimation though the DVD sets they published used the Dragon Box as their source material (with the NEPs being in the Extras, or somewhere in that department).

The comparison photo from Twitter makes it look like an upscale.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:55 am

Well, correct me if i am wrong, but i think selecta vision were stubborn and didn't buy FUNi's BD DBZ season remasters when toei insisted them on doing so. They were clear about wanting new, true HD remasters.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:29 am

sangofe wrote:Well, correct me if i am wrong, but i think selecta vision were stubborn and didn't buy FUNi's BD DBZ season remasters when toei insisted them on doing so. They were clear about wanting new, true HD remasters.
If that's true, and this is a new transfer, I wonder if all of these recent Dragon Ball restoration efforts on Toei's part have more to do with pressure from licensors than anything else? Seems so contrary to all that we know about the anime licensing world, but it would be nice to know that a company, or companies, stood their ground and actually got a better product out of Toei for it. They can cut corners and save money all they want, but they also can't afford to not give their licensors content they're willing to release.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:14 am

Kuwabara wrote:
sangofe wrote:Well, correct me if i am wrong, but i think selecta vision were stubborn and didn't buy FUNi's BD DBZ season remasters when toei insisted them on doing so. They were clear about wanting new, true HD remasters.
If that's true, and this is a new transfer, I wonder if all of these recent Dragon Ball restoration efforts on Toei's part have more to do with pressure from licensors than anything else? Seems so contrary to all that we know about the anime licensing world, but it would be nice to know that a company, or companies, stood their ground and actually got a better product out of Toei for it. They can cut corners and save money all they want, but they also can't afford to not give their licensors content they're willing to release.
Well, Kai TFC was created because Funi and other licensors wanted more Kai, so this wouldn't be unprecedented if it is the case.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:25 am

KBABZ wrote:HOLY CRAP I JUST GOT VERY EXCITED!!
Indeed! OG DB is the only thing with the old animes I care about & why I haven't owned it yet been holding out for a BD release. Hopefully this looks great.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:30 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Indeed! OG DB is the only thing with the old animes I care about & why I haven't owned it yet been holding out for a BD release. Hopefully this looks great.
And hopefully this is toei's remaster that a lot of countries license.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:51 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Yeah. I'm proud of my Dragon Box and Blue Brick, but a proper Blu-Ray scan would be incredible.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:57 am

If that's the case, then SV shouldn't have licensed FUNimation's shitty Double Features. We're probably going to see another Blu-ray release of the movies but this time remastered correctly by TOEI.

The Dragon Boxes remastered by SV doesn't look that great so doesn't give me much hope they'll actually do a decent job this time around. But still, I hope they do.

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT deserve to get into the spotlight than always just Dragon Ball Z.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:03 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
If that's the case, then SV shouldn't have licensed FUNimation's shitty Double Features. We're probably going to see another Blu-ray release of the movies but this time remastered correctly by TOEI.

The Dragon Boxes remastered by SV doesn't look that great so doesn't give me much hope they'll actually do a decent job this time around. But still, I hope they do.

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT deserve to get into the spotlight than always just Dragon Ball Z.
I know about the double features but why didn't they license the BD seasons when when Toei tried to get them to buy that?

Hopefully they don't touch the bds of db if it's a Toei remaster. And i hope DB will be released in true HD in several contries.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Would be cool if SV used the DB OBA audio but it's incomplete so far and to be honest, the muffled audio doesn't sound that bad. Either that or I just got used to it.

I don't normally watch any stuff of Dragon Ball unless it's a new episode, a flick I like to rewatch (Dead Zone) or just the series in itself but if it was properly remastered in high definition I'd go thru it all over again.

We already got a glimpse of Dragon Ball in HD on 4x3 via FUNimation's spectacular remaster of the DB Movies 1-4 (too bad they fucked M2). Even if it's nothing impressive, at least SV left it in the original aspect ratio.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Dragon Ball is long overdue a Blu-Ray release, so even for the durability aspect this is fantastic news.

Hopefully it will be a new remaster, but it's reassuring if Selecta Vision negotiated with TOEI because it shows they don't want to settle for what could be mediocrity, and we've seen from the new movie remasters what TOEI can do when they give it their all.

Most importantly, this should lead to other distributors releasing DB on Blu-Ray, and having a good release at that :).
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I'd say the first banana brick is still worth it for the BLT dub movie. MangaUK screwed up on season 3 by not fixing the issue with episodes 81 and 83 though, so hopefully we get nothing like that in this release.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:57 pm

For me personally my blue brick is good enough, and I am aware of it's minor issues.

I would love to see GT get a remaster like this and still have the audio options the DVD Green Brick had, because I actually like the FUNimation music.

I also want to see Z get a new proper remaster in 4:3 ( The dragon box was close...but no FUNimation music) I really don't get why they only catered to the fans who like the subs. They literally screwed an entire portion of their fanbase by not including the Faulconer/Menza tracks. There doesn't exist any copy of the show from beginning to end with FUNimation music in 4:3. The closest you can get is with the Ultimate Uncut Edition that stops with Nappa, and from there you'd have the FUNimation singles that pick up on Namek with Goku Vs Jeice/Burter.

If you wanted 4:3 in between you'd have to go Dragon Box without the FUNimation/Menza music or go Ocean Dub.

If they in the future remaster all 3 in 4:3 BluRay with options EVERY type of fan can enjoy I'd have no problem spending my money on it. It just makes me sad that I can't enjoy the series the way I want to, filler included.
Last edited by SuperSaiyanPan on Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:55 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:For me personally my blue brick is good enough, and I am aware of it's minor issues.

I would love to see GT get a remaster like this and still have the audio options the DVD Green Brick had, because I actually like the FUNimation music.

I also want to see Z get a new proper remaster in 4:3 ( The dragon box was close...but no FUNimation music) I really don't get why they only catered to the fans who like the subs. They literally screwed an entire portion of their fanbase by not including the Z Dub (Faulconer/Menza). There doesn't exist any copy of the show from beginning to end with FUNimation music in 4:3. The closest you can get is with the Ultimate Uncut Edition that stops with Nappa, and from there you'd have the FUNimation singles that pick up on Namek with Goku Vs Jeice/Burter.

If you wanted 4:3 in between you'd have to go Dragon Box without the FUNimation/Menza music or go Ocean Dub.

If they in the future remaster all 3 in 4:3 BluRay with options EVERY type of fan can enjoy I'd have no problem spending my money on it. It just makes me sad that I can't enjoy the series the way I want to, filler included.
FUNimation included their English dub on the US Dragon Box Z, you make it seem like they only offered JP Audio / EN Subs which wasn't the case. But could have been.

Besides, it's a good thing that FUNimation is steering away from the trainwreck of replacement soundtracks they had composed for their dubs. Those sub-par scores will still be featured because FUNi knows there are fans whom are nostalgic about it.

There are two types of fans for FUNi:

Type 1 - Want everything as originally intended, willing to pay $60 and don't give a shit about the US replacement music.

Type 2 - Want the series and movies as cheap as possible, with an "amazing" remaster and the US music.

So, in other words, the US Dragon Box was geared towards Type 1.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:57 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
SuperSaiyanPan wrote:For me personally my blue brick is good enough, and I am aware of it's minor issues.

I also want to see Z get a new proper remaster in 4:3 ( The dragon box was close...but no FUNimation music) I really don't get why they only catered to the fans who like the subs. They literally screwed an entire portion of their fanbase by not including the Z Dub (Faulconer/Menza). There doesn't exist any copy of the show from beginning to end with FUNimation music in 4:3. The closest you can get is with the Ultimate Uncut Edition that stops with Nappa, and from there you'd have the FUNimation singles that pick up on Namek with Goku Vs Jeice/Burter.

FUNimation included their English dub on the US Dragon Box Z, you make it seem like they only offered JP Audio / EN Subs which wasn't the case. But could have been.

Besides, it's a good thing that FUNimation is steering away from the trainwreck of replacement soundtracks they had composed for their dubs. Those sub-par scores will still be featured because FUNi knows there are fans whom are nostalgic about it.

There are two types of fans for FUNi:

Type 1 - Want everything as originally intended, willing to pay $60 and don't give a shit about the US replacement music.

Type 2 - Want the series and movies as cheap as possible, with an "amazing" remaster and the US music.

So, in other words, the US Dragon Box was geared towards Type 1.
Ehm I didn't mean to word it that way, I am aware they have the English dialogue.

"Want the series and movies as cheap as possible, with an "amazing" remaster and the US music." Not sure where you get this from, I am willing to pay good money for the series if it includes Music and Dialogue that it originally broadcasted with. I don't get why so many people are saying it should only have the Japanese score without the option for the FUNimation score for fans who like it. This is the divide I am talking about. Yes I know the Dragon Boxes were geared towards "Hardcore fans" However that doesn't mean they should shaft an entire portion of their fanbase.

In a nutshell I am just saying if they remaster all 3 in 4:3 with both Japanese/English Dialogue and the option to choose between Japanese/FUNimation score it should be the best of both worlds for the fanbase as a whole. I don't understand why it "hurts" people so much for wanting this. Not saying you are insisting this it's just a general feel I've seen over the years on this topic.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:44 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:There are three types of fans for FUNi:

Type 3 - Want everything as originally intended for both sub AND dub, willing to pay for both the Funi Dragon Boxes for subs... and for the dubs willing to look for (on the uncut side of things) the old singles (ep 1-27; ep 75-291), Level 1.2 (ep 28-34), only getting the "amazing" remaster for ep 45-67 out of necessity... and for the edited side of things the Saban singles (ep 1-53) and the edited VHS tapes (54-276). Basically watching the dub with minimal redubbing and the musical score it was meant to go with (the replacement score)
FTFY
SuperSaiyanPan wrote:.....Japanese...Dialogue and .....FUNimation score.....
Never happening. It's almost literally impossible for the Z series.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.