DB's Revival

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Re: DB's Revival

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:49 am

I was actually fairly positive with BoG largely because, by casting Beerus as less of a straight-up villain and more of a jerk-ass who was literally about to blow up the world because Buu ate his pudding, actually managed to deflate a lot of the issues that DBZ had been suffering for. BoG felt like it focused more on characters and more on a sense of fun that the franchise desperately needed.

Didn't bother to watch ResurrectionF. Always felt that bringing back Freeza was dumb.

I've said more than enough on my feelings on Super (the anime: it ain't good, the manga: turned shit into something kind of fun), and I'll admit that I'm excited for Super: Broly if only because I do want to see a stupid expensive looking anime where movie where the explosions happen in a crowded theater.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:07 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Conversely, people also tend to drastically downplay Toriyama's involvement in GT because GT is so unpopular and has such a meme-driven momentum within fandom to be seen as a "non-canon" aberration or whatever. In reality, Toriyama's involvement in GT was somewhat larger than most fans want to admit to, while his involvement in Super (outside of the films anyway) appears to be FAR less than what most fans are desperate to want to believe it is.
Exactly. Many fans seem almost zealously eager for Super to erase GT and frequently cite Toriyama's involvement as justification. GT's status in general as an (American) fandom punching bag is very annoying now since Super, from what I've read about it, seems just as flawed as GT was.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:46 pm

Majin Buu wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:Conversely, people also tend to drastically downplay Toriyama's involvement in GT because GT is so unpopular and has such a meme-driven momentum within fandom to be seen as a "non-canon" aberration or whatever. In reality, Toriyama's involvement in GT was somewhat larger than most fans want to admit to, while his involvement in Super (outside of the films anyway) appears to be FAR less than what most fans are desperate to want to believe it is.
Exactly. Many fans seem almost zealously eager for Super to erase GT and frequently cite Toriyama's involvement as justification. GT's status in general as an (American) fandom punching bag is very annoying now since Super, from what I've read about it, seems just as flawed as GT was.
Is it really an American fandom punching bag? GT's reputation has never been high as long as I've been a part of this fandom, which now has lasted over 22 years.

Anyway, so as to not split hairs, yes, I think people's understanding of Toriyama's involvement is misunderstood and skews people's opinions on the quality (or lack thereof) of both series.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:50 pm

ABED wrote:Is it really an American fandom punching bag? GT's reputation has never been high as long as I've been a part of this fandom, which now has lasted over 22 years.
Considering how often people complain about it and how many people seem to want it to not exist, that's the impression I get.

Conversely, from what I understand there isn't nearly as much vitriol towards GT on the Japanese fandom side of things. Supposedly they're more indifferent to it.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:12 pm

I can indeed confirm that vitriolic hatred toward GT is much more of a recent-ish thing.

In the pre-dub years, while GT was never by any means beloved, the worst sentiments toward it were more that of boredom and exhaustion with the Dragon Ball franchise in general still trudging onward, more so than outright venomous disgust and contempt.

And when GT was first being dubbed by FUNimation, while I could be mistaken since I'm by no means someone who's ever claimed to have their finger squarely on the pulse of Dragon Ball dub fandom at all times, my earliest recollection of the dub fandom's initial reaction towards it was them outright loving the hell out of much of it and eating it up at first.

The whole over the top despising of GT and viewing it as the all time worst thing that has ever had DB's name on it and that it needs to be erased from existence... that had always seemed like it really started becoming more a thing maybe around a couple years after FUNimation had finally finished dubbing the whole series (so circa mid/late 2000s maybe). And for sure it was mainly on America's end of things. Japan generally does seem to be fairly neutral to "meh" on GT overall.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:52 pm

Majin Buu wrote:
ABED wrote:Is it really an American fandom punching bag? GT's reputation has never been high as long as I've been a part of this fandom, which now has lasted over 22 years.
Considering how often people complain about it and how many people seem to want it to not exist, that's the impression I get.

Conversely, from what I understand there isn't nearly as much vitriol towards GT on the Japanese fandom side of things. Supposedly they're more indifferent to it.
True. GT is generally considered just "meh"/average in Japan, no where near one of the worst anime ever.