Funimation Re-dubbing

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Funimation Re-dubbing

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:03 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Does anyone know why Sean didn't redub his lines for season 3? With the others redubbing their lines, season 3 dub was bit more bearable. The early parts was cringy when you can tell the quality of the redub of Sabat compared to early dub of Shemmel.
I'm not sure what the real reason is, but I always felt that while Sabat's Vegeta voice changed greatly over time along with the improved acting, Sean's Goku voice itself didn't change that much even though his acting and delivery got much better. The actual voice has always been pretty consistent.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:00 am

Sabat stopped doing a Drummond impression which helped his acting considerably.

If I recall, Sean said something about not wanting to overwrite his history, hence why he didn't redub his season 3 performance. He wanted to leave it as a record of where he started and how far he's come. I don't know if that's true, but I swear I read it somewhere.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:08 am

90sDBZ wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Does anyone know why Sean didn't redub his lines for season 3? With the others redubbing their lines, season 3 dub was bit more bearable. The early parts was cringy when you can tell the quality of the redub of Sabat compared to early dub of Shemmel.
I'm not sure what the real reason is, but I always felt that while Sabat's Vegeta voice changed greatly over time along with the improved acting, Sean's Goku voice itself didn't change that much even though his acting and delivery got much better. The actual voice has always been pretty consistent.
ABED wrote:If I recall, Sean said something about not wanting to overwrite his history, hence why he didn't redub his season 3 performance. He wanted to leave it as a record of where he started and how far he's come. I don't know if that's true, but I swear I read it somewhere.
I believe the true reason is to do with Schemmel working in LA and being busy with some other shows, and it being a case of the redubs being a lower priority, so he recorded the other, newer shows, while the other guys found the time to do the redubs, and I think most or all of them still lived in Texas, so it was much easier to get them to do the work
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:14 am

That might be partly true, but he's recorded for DB even when he didn't live in TX.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:51 am

I've definitely heard that same thing, that he didn't want to overwrite his old performance so he could show how far he'd come, or something like that. I don't remember where though. Probably here honestly, but it was years ago when I was a lurker.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:01 pm

ABED wrote:That might be partly true, but he's recorded for DB even when he didn't live in TX.
As I say, Z was only redubs, so he prioritised it beneath other stuff he was working on. DB was new stuff.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:53 pm

ABED wrote:Sabat stopped doing a Drummond impression which helped his acting considerably.

If I recall, Sean said something about not wanting to overwrite his history, hence why he didn't redub his season 3 performance. He wanted to leave it as a record of where he started and how far he's come. I don't know if that's true, but I swear I read it somewhere.
No offense to Sean but if that’s true that makes him sound egotistical and self-serving.

I’ll say it again Sean’s refusal/inability to rerecord his season 3 made the whole remaster exercise pointless and a trainwreck

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:59 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
ABED wrote:Sabat stopped doing a Drummond impression which helped his acting considerably.

No offense to Sean but if that’s true that makes him sound egotistical and self-serving.

I’ll say it again Sean’s refusal/inability to rerecord his season 3 made the whole remaster exercise pointless and a trainwreck
How is that self serving? If I dubbed something years prior and later improved, I still wouldn't want to go back to redub it. Let it be what it is. No amount of redubbing can overwrite that history.

xXInfinite026Xx
Beyond Newbie

Post by xXInfinite026Xx » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
90sDBZ wrote: I'm not sure what the real reason is, but I always felt that while Sabat's Vegeta voice changed greatly over time along with the improved acting, Sean's Goku voice itself didn't change that much even though his acting and delivery got much better. The actual voice has always been pretty consistent.
ABED wrote:If I recall, Sean said something about not wanting to overwrite his history, hence why he didn't redub his season 3 performance. He wanted to leave it as a record of where he started and how far he's come. I don't know if that's true, but I swear I read it somewhere.
I believe the true reason is to do with Schemmel working in LA and being busy with some other shows, and it being a case of the redubs being a lower priority, so he recorded the other, newer shows, while the other guys found the time to do the redubs, and I think most or all of them still lived in Texas, so it was much easier to get them to do the work
At that time in 2007, Sean still lived in New York, and the only means of re-recording dialogue at that time was to fly over to Texas to do so. Prior to Kai and the current Dragon Ball renaissance, there was less fulfillment to keep re-recording a series that was long over, especially since the video games had them revisiting the same story over and over again. It likely wasn't worth it both physically and financially to do so. If he did give an answer saying he didn't re-record to "preserving the history", it was likely more of an excuse. After all, he himself dismisses much of the old dub in favor of their Kai dub.
My YouTube Channel!
Payne222 wrote:The most overrated character in Dragon Ball is Sasuke. I mean, he can't even go Bankai. How's he gonna be King of the Pirates if he sucks that bad?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:31 pm

If he did give an answer saying he didn't re-record to "preserving the history", it was likely more of an excuse. After all, he himself dismisses much of the old dub in favor of their Kai dub.
I clearly didn't mean he thought himself as good back then.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:

Many OG FUNi fans actually WANT the untouched audio. Kind of like how Star Wars fans want the untouched original trilogy, they don't even want the spruced up special effects when a planet gets destroyed. It's all about preserving things as they were, something I'm totally behind...even with an awful product like FUNi season 3.

And besides, the whole remaster would've been a trainwreck regardless. They kept all the added dialogue, inaccurate lines, and poor (albeit improved) voicework. Even a COMPLETE redub would've just felt like pouring cheap chocolate sauce over garbage.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:19 pm

VegettoEX wrote:In 2001(?), FUNimation began (re)dubbing the original Dragon Ball television series. The first 13 episodes were handled with the same Ocean Studios-based cast as DBZ, so these were redubbed with the new/current cast and also done in an uncut version. The home video of these particular 13 episodes didn't come out until much later, but it was dubbed and aired back then. (For a while, the Australian two-disc release was the only way to get these 13 episodes in the new format.) Episodes 14-153 were freshly dubbed for the first time here.
To add to this, there was some minor redubbing between the in-house dub on Toonami and the uncut version on DVD.
When the redub first aired on Toonami, Pilaf initially referred to his dog minion as Shao (like in the earlier Kidmark/BLT dub). Funimation reverted his name back to Shuu on the DVD version.
Also, the last few sagas starting with the King Piccolo one had translation errors in the uncut version which were corrected for the edited TV broadcast. However, they didn't integrate these fixes into re-releases of the dub on DVD.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:50 pm

Forte224 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:

Many OG FUNi fans actually WANT the untouched audio. Kind of like how Star Wars fans want the untouched original trilogy, they don't even want the spruced up special effects when a planet gets destroyed. It's all about preserving things as they were, something I'm totally behind...even with an awful product like FUNi season 3.

And besides, the whole remaster would've been a trainwreck regardless. They kept all the added dialogue, inaccurate lines, and poor (albeit improved) voicework. Even a COMPLETE redub would've just felt like pouring cheap chocolate sauce over garbage.
The problem with Funimation using their original broadcast dub is that its not fully uncut (hence why this was so heavily emphasized on the home releases) as if they were to release the full thing they'd need to use the 53 (as opposed to 67) Ocean dub episodes, which wouldn't sync with the Japanese audio.

I guess they could always make it available for streaming, but the home releases would still need the remastered dub to cater to both fans of the English and Japanese versions at least.

I blame Saban. Censored, Americanized dialogue and replaced musical scores can be fixed but the footage should have been left as is, it really fucks everything up in the long run.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:10 pm

Yeah it's kind of just broken at its core. But at the very least I feel like they shouldn't have touched anything in their original in house dub from where it started in the Freeza arc and up until the end of the series. Let it be what it was, even if it was awful. If their goal was to "fix" certain things with this partial redubbing, they should've just started at episode 1, used an accurate script, and redubded the whole series.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:00 pm

DrBriefsCat wrote:the last few sagas starting with the King Piccolo one had translation errors in the uncut version which were corrected for the edited TV broadcast. However, they didn't integrate these fixes into re-releases of the dub on DVD.
Really? For example, King Piccolo doesn't say he's fought all over the universe? Now it makes me even sadder how rare Toonami recordings of Funi DB seem when compared to Toonami DBZ recordings
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:42 pm

Forte224 wrote:Yeah it's kind of just broken at its core. But at the very least I feel like they shouldn't have touched anything in their original in house dub from where it started in the Freeza arc and up until the end of the series. Let it be what it was, even if it was awful. If their goal was to "fix" certain things with this partial redubbing, they should've just started at episode 1, used an accurate script, and redubded the whole series.
I believe the purpose of the redub was simply for the sake of consistency, not necessarily to “fix” the dub as a whole. It would’ve been really jarring to go from how Chris Sabat’s Vegeta sounded in the UUE redub to his poor Brian Drummond impression on the same DVD set, which is why they did the redub.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:14 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Yeah it's kind of just broken at its core. But at the very least I feel like they shouldn't have touched anything in their original in house dub from where it started in the Freeza arc and up until the end of the series. Let it be what it was, even if it was awful. If their goal was to "fix" certain things with this partial redubbing, they should've just started at episode 1, used an accurate script, and redubded the whole series.
I believe the purpose of the redub was simply for the sake of consistency, not necessarily to “fix” the dub as a whole. It would’ve been really jarring to go from how Chris Sabat’s Vegeta sounded in the UUE redub to his poor Brian Drummond impression on the same DVD set, which is why they did the redub.
But even that's pointless when you consider the redub stopped completely after Garlic Jr. even with Vegeta. Then he sounds closer to his Drummond impression again. It's their own fault for screwing the dub up so much in the first place. Even in the original Toonami run, Sabat (as just one example) in the Cell arc sounds inconsistent compared to the Boo arc which sounds inconsistent compared to their dub of Saiyan arc. That's why I said it's broken at its core.

To put it bluntly, it's not like the majority of people that insist on watching the OG FUNi dub care about consistency in the first place anyway, because if they cared about that they'd just watch Kai. They should've just dubbed the first 67 episodes (for the sole reason that the Ocean cast didn't get to do them all) and called it a day.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Forte224 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
But even that's pointless when you consider the redub stopped completely after Garlic Jr. even with Vegeta. Then he sounds closer to his Drummond impression again. It's their own fault for screwing the dub up so much in the first place. Even in the original Toonami run, Sabat (as just one example) in the Cell arc sounds inconsistent compared to the Boo arc which sounds inconsistent compared to their dub of Saiyan arc. That's why I said it's broken at its core.

To put it bluntly, it's not like the majority of people that insist on watching the OG FUNi dub care about consistency in the first place anyway, because if they cared about that they'd just watch Kai. They should've just dubbed the first 67 episodes (for the sole reason that the Ocean cast didn't get to do them all) and called it a day.
The problem is that Kai wasn’t a thing back when FUNimation released the season sets. At the time, the season sets were supposed to be the one definitive run of the series, so I guess FUNimation figured that they needed to try and make the dub as consistent as possible in order to appeal to newcomers. It’s the same reason why they had Kyle Hebert redub all of Dale Kelly’s lines as the narratior. If I recall, they even redubbed Burter’s lines from the UUE in order to replace Vic Mignogna with Chris Sabat. As for why they didn’t continue redubbing Vegeta’s lines beyond the Garlic Jr. arc, I guess they figured that it wasn’t worth the trouble, since his Vegeta voice in the Cell arc sounded less like a Brian Drummond knockoff than it did in season 3.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:35 pm

There’s not going to be any consistency. Either you get the entire cast change between episode 53/67 and 54/68 or you have Schemmel suddenly giving a terrible performance.

I respect the original in-house broadcast more because it was a bunch of people who had no clue what they were doing pathetically imitating a cast of professional voice actors just trying to get this hype machine going while the property is still hot.

The remastered dub is the most half assed attempt at trying to fix something

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
DrBriefsCat wrote:the last few sagas starting with the King Piccolo one had translation errors in the uncut version which were corrected for the edited TV broadcast. However, they didn't integrate these fixes into re-releases of the dub on DVD.
Really? For example, King Piccolo doesn't say he's fought all over the universe? Now it makes me even sadder how rare Toonami recordings of Funi DB seem when compared to Toonami DBZ recordings
While I don't know whether that exact line was corrected or not, they did revert General Tao back to being a Mercenary in the edited version. There also appeared to be instances where Funimation was toughening up the dialog in the uncut version to seem edgier, like when one of King Piccolo's minions claims he killed a boy's father while the character appears to only be injured. The edited line had him say something closer to the Japanese version, which seemed to match what was going on on the screen.

There was a guy on the Toonzone message boards who had compiled edit lists back when the show aired that detailed all the changes, but unfortunately his lists were deleted within the last year. Two of the threads still exist and other users' replies about the changes weren't deleted. Links: Dragonball Season Four Week Nine Edit Lists and Dragon Ball Week 12 The Stongest One Under The Heavens

I used to have all the episodes recorded off Toonami, but got rid of them at some point after I bought the Blue Brick DVDs. Wish I had kept them.