Is Akira Toriyama a nihilist?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Is Akira Toriyama a nihilist?

Post by zarmack » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:29 am

The more I watch and read the main series over the years, I increasing get this vibe from him. Does anyone else notice it too?

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Is Akira Toriyama a nihilist?

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:15 am

I don't think he would identify as such. Didn't he say of the original Bardock special that it was a darker kind of story than he would ever tell? The difference in tone at least is clear when you compare it with Minus.

That said, at least when it comes to Dragon Ball, it feels like he has a certain detached sense of morality. Part of it comes from the setting- in a world where nobody dies and everything can be undone, no crimes are permanent and even the most heinous people can become allies. It leads to this weird disconnect between the audience's sense of morality and the universe. I'm trying to think how most works of fiction would handle concepts like, say, sacrificing innocent people en-masse to buy time against a threat, being kidnapped and forced into fights to the death as a child, being eaten alive and possibly subjected to a fate worse than death by a monster. These are all things that happen in Dragon Ball that aren't really treated with the gravity they deserve on paper. It's all just stuff that happens with few lasting consequences or trauma.

Huh. When I put it that way, I think that might explain why the franchise resonated so well with children. It's the same lack of grasping the consequences a child would have. It's why Buu and Zeno make so much sense. Of course the most dangerous threat to the universe, and the undisputed ruler of the multiverse would be kids who don't know any better. That's pretty much the lens through which the authour views the world.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:37 am

Anyone who willingly ended recent stories in the heroes losing despite their best efforts multiple arcs in a row has to have at least some sense of it.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:00 am

What specifically makes you think this? His stories end happily, which would dissuade me from thinking he is a cynical person or that life is meaningless.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:47 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:Anyone who willingly ended recent stories in the heroes losing despite their best efforts multiple arcs in a row has to have at least some sense of it.
They Gain Beerus and Whis as allies (sorta) despite losing in combat, Its pretty much a draw against Hit and Monaka wins the tournament, Copy Vegeta is beaten, Goku wins against Hit in a rematch and Jiren is defeated.

The only outcome that is slightly like that is the Trunks arc with Zamasu and even then he's still ultimately defeated. Lets not push false ideals or hidden messages for no reason yall.

History of Trunks/Trunks The Story, Bardock The Father of Goku and Minus all have tragic endings but all of the antagonists in those stories get their comeuppance later on.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:30 am

zarmack wrote:The more I watch and read the main series over the years, I increasing get this vibe from him. Does anyone else notice it too?
Could you provide examples of nihilism?
MozillaVulpix wrote:Anyone who willingly ended recent stories in the heroes losing despite their best efforts multiple arcs in a row has to have at least some sense of it.
That is not nihilistic in the slightless, nihilism is the philosophy of there not being inherent meaning/value/moral in all aspects of life. The closest thing to what you describe would be pessimism, not nihilism.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:41 am

Kataphrut wrote:] That said, at least when it comes to Dragon Ball, it feels like he has a certain detached sense of morality.
Correct me if I'm wrong but do you think Toriyama as a person has a detached sense of morality because he wrote work with darker undertones without dwelling much on that? Do you think that he secretly wishes for the world like DB?

The reasons people wrote dark and brutal things vary- some want to tell dark story with moral undertones, some want to vent, some have bloody imagination and some just don't care about implications. While lots of the authors deliberately or not incorporate their beliefs in their stories I highly doubt that's the case. Toriyama repetitively stated that he wrote stories as it went without putting much thought background and world building and if he could put a good gag he just went with it.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:17 pm

If he was he probably would have ended DBS with all of the universes getting erased.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:13 pm

a viewpoint that traditional values and beliefs are unfounded and that existence is senseless and useless

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nihilism
Definitely not Toriyama. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion as it seems really far-fetched.