Former 'Dragon Ball Z' Composer Nathan Johnson Elected to Texas State Senate

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Former 'Dragon Ball Z' Composer Nathan Johnson Elected to Texas State Senate

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:37 pm

Just heard this, politics asside it's pretty cool

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Former 'Dragon Ball Z' Composer Nathan Johnson Elected to Texas State Senate

Post by Tian » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Now! Texas! Behold the power of my original music pieces!

DerekPadula
Regular

Re: Former 'Dragon Ball Z' Composer Nathan Johnson Elected to Texas State Senate

Post by DerekPadula » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:33 am

I interviewed Nathan Johnson after his victory.

He thanks Dragon Ball fans for helping him win!
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:25 am

This is cool! Congrats to Mr. Johnson for his victory! :thumbup:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:00 am

Using other means for people to vote for him, no different than the sketchy politicians that are around already.

Make Dragon Ball Z Great Again. :P

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:33 pm

And the media acts like there wasn't a blue wave. There certainly was here...a blue KAMEHAMEHA wave!

Get it?

I'll go now...

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:36 pm

I don’t live in Texas was having worked on DBZ part of his campaign? Even with as popular American DBZ is with millenials I can’t imagine too many of them saw his name and instantly associate it with DBZ and not just because he has a name as basic white guy as Nathan Johnson

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:17 pm

Kataphrut wrote:And the media acts like there wasn't a blue wave. There certainly was here...a blue KAMEHAMEHA wave!
You might even say Nathan Johnson went Super Saiyan Blue.
Author of Dragon Ball Culture and the It's Over 9,000! book: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/books and The Dao of Dragon Ball website: https://thedaoofdragonball.com/blog

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:27 pm

DerekPadula wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:And the media acts like there wasn't a blue wave. There certainly was here...a blue KAMEHAMEHA wave!
You might even say Nathan Johnson went Super Saiyan Blue.
I mean say what you will about Super Saiyan Blue, but I'll take it over Super Saiyan Gop any day of the week.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:20 am

Kataphrut wrote:I mean say what you will about Super Saiyan Blue, but I'll take it over Super Saiyan Gop any day of the week.
Politics aside, no one can deny that a Blue Kamehame-Ha is way more stylish and fascinating than a red one but between a Red Super Saiyan and a Blue Super Saiyan.. I'd take a red one (nostalgia).

We already had the sample of a Super Saiyan God over 20 years ago when Goku reached his Kaio-Ken mode.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:48 am

Didn't expect this to happen, but congratulations to Mr. Johnson.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:I don’t live in Texas was having worked on DBZ part of his campaign? Even with as popular American DBZ is with millenials I can’t imagine too many of them saw his name and instantly associate it with DBZ and not just because he has a name as basic white guy as Nathan Johnson.
A bit off topic, but I've been thinking about this recently and I don't think anyone in America outside of DBZ Funimation dub fans, Texas natives, and maybe (very) hardcore music aficionados know who Bruce Faulconer or anyone else associated with that replacement score is. I imagine they're not very prolific outside of those circles.

DerekPadula
Regular

Post by DerekPadula » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:31 pm

Wherever FUNimation's DBZ dub was distributed, you'll find people who think fondly of Faulconer Production's music. That's the US, Canada, the UK, and Australia. I know several DBZ fans in the UK who think his music is the best. And just like in America, they refer to the characters with their FUNimation names and unique dubisms, such as Tri-Beam for Tenshinhan's kikoho.

Likewise, there are fans outside of America who know Nathan Johnson's music.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:00 am

DerekPadula wrote:Wherever FUNimation's DBZ dub was distributed, you'll find people who think fondly of Faulconer Production's music. That's the US, Canada, the UK, and Australia. I know several DBZ fans in the UK who think his music is the best. And just like in America, they refer to the characters with their FUNimation names and unique dubisms, such as Tri-Beam for Tenshinhan's kikoho.

Likewise, there are fans outside of America who know Nathan Johnson's music.
Those are still Funimation dub fans though, and foreign fans at that, not the general American public. Are Faulconer and co. John Williams or Danny Elfman levels of prolific that would be considered big scores for any production because everyone knows at least of couple of their tunes by sheer osmosis? No. Were they so thoroughly associated with multiple successful programs and considered such big scores that people in general started calling them good luck charms like Kikuchi in Japan? No. Faulconer and co. are nowhere near that level of prolific here.