Finally watched the four Dragon Ball films

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Finally watched the four Dragon Ball films

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:48 am

So about a year ago I bought the Dragon Ball 4 Film boxset. I finally got around to watch the films since I have never watched them before.

1. Curse of the Blood Rubies: Not a bad little film. I think it feels two different movies at times because he have our gang doing their antics and then Pansy trying to save her villiage. So it feels weird but I will say, I do like how the defeated the villian by summoning Shenron inside his stomach.

2.Sleeping Princess in the Devil's Castle: It's an ok film, nothing really stands out to me. Sure the villains are bit more of a monster theme but nothing that really grabs me. Although I do enjoy this one over the first film because I always live the dynamic between Goku and Krillin.

3. Mystical Adventure: A really fun movie. Pretty much took 3 arcs and melded them into a pretty descent film. Only downside is the inclusion of Arale. Don't get me wrong, Arale beating up Tao is hilarious but it seems like that interrupted the flow of the film a bit. Loved the scenes between Tien and Chaozu, I can really feel the connection between them. Also Love how Tien defeated Shen because of his freindship with Chaozu. On a side note, I feel bad for Blue in this film. He actually seems

4. Path to Power: Also another great film. Intergrating the first and third arc together is really fun. The animation is great, the humor has great timing and the action is amazing. The only issue I had is I wish Android 8 actually joined the group and he was with them through out the film. Not to say his death doesn't have an impact but I think it would have had more of an impact if he was with the group longer. Overall probably my favorite of the four.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Re: Finally watched the four Dragon Ball films

Post by ZodaEX » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:33 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: Also Love how Tien defeated Shen because of his freindship with Chaozu. On a side note, I feel bad for Blue in this film. He actually seems
He actually seems...... ? Were you going to say something about Blue?

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:49 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: Also Love how Tien defeated Shen because of his freindship with Chaozu. On a side note, I feel bad for Blue in this film. He actually seems
He actually seems...... ? Were you going to say something about Blue?
Ha ha, I thought I finished that line. I was going to say he seemed like he could have been a good guy in this universe since he was working for Chaozu.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:51 pm

I first saw the third movie before having watched the series and at the time felt sorry for the poor guy who got killed by Mercenary Tao early in the movie. After having watched the series proper however, I started to laugh instead when that scene comes up.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:28 pm

Here's my encapsulated take having already watched all four of them numerous times

M1- Densetsu no Shenlong/The Legend of Shen Long/Curse of the Blood Rubies: Overall a good retelling of the first arc of the series only with Pilaf, Shu and Mai substituted with an original villain. It hits most of the same story beats of the first episodes of the anime minus Goku's Oozaru/Great Ape transformation which TBH wouldn't have really fit in the overall frame of this partially original story.

M2- Majinjo Nemeru Hime/The Sleeping Princess of Devil's Castle/Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle: Pretty decent adaptation of Goku and Kuririn's training with Roshi before the 21st Budokai, though not my top favorite of the four films it does provide an expanded degree of light upon the two's training from episodes 15-20 of the original series. The incorporation of demon related and horror elements is a nice touch as well.

M3- Makafushigi Daiboken/The Mystical Great Adventure/Mystical Adventure: Decent partial combing of the Red Ribbon Army and 22nd Budokai eras, although this one doesn't entirely fit into the anime's continuity it functions well enough as a sort of alternate timeline type of story. Tenshinhan's and Chiaotzu's different roles in this film makes for a very interesting scenario that portrays their dynamic in a very different light compared to the series' events.

M4- Saikyo no Michi/The Path to Ultimate Strength/The Path to Power: Probably my favorite of the bunch, the GT style really lends a unique look that separates it from the other three films. I like how they incorporated the RR army much earlier in the story and managed to fit it in with the time fram of the first 13 episodes of the original DB series. Also, it was an interesting touch how they gave Bulma her lavender/purplish hair and yellow striped outfit from the manga as opposed to the blue hair and pink outfit from the series and first movie.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:34 pm

M3- Makafushigi Daiboken/The Mystical Great Adventure/Mystical Adventure: Decent partial combing of the Red Ribbon Army and 22nd Budokai eras, although this one doesn't entirely fit into the anime's continuity it functions well enough as a sort of alternate timeline type of story. Ten's and Chiaotzu's different roles in this film makes for a very interesting scenario that portrays their relationship in a very different light.
I wouldn't say that it paints their relationship in a different light so much as they start out at different places in the story than in the original story but ultimately end up in the same place. The movie is saying that regardless of their stations in life, they'll always be best friends.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:39 pm

ABED wrote:
M3- Makafushigi Daiboken/The Mystical Great Adventure/Mystical Adventure: Decent partial combing of the Red Ribbon Army and 22nd Budokai eras, although this one doesn't entirely fit into the anime's continuity it functions well enough as a sort of alternate timeline type of story. Ten's and Chiaotzu's different roles in this film makes for a very interesting scenario that p their relationship in a very different light compared to the series.
I wouldn't say that it paints their relationship in a different light so much as they start out at different places in the story than in the original story but ultimately end up in the same place.
True, it's just very interesting how they are portrayed in the film versus how we are introduced to them in the series proper during the 22nd Budokai. Sure, it ends similarly to that but the way they tell it here make for something interesting and different in what can be best described as an alternate universe so to speak.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:40 pm

I’ve seen all 3 English versions of Curse of the Blood Rubies but never actually bothered with the Japanese version.

Path to UltimatePower...gorgeous animation I honestly think its the best Dragon Ball has ever looked barring, maybe, the most recent 3 movies. I can’t for the life of me figure out why they went back to The Red Ribbon Army when they kind of adapted that with Mystical Adventure anyways. They should have combined the first arc with Piccolo Daimou.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:26 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Path to UltimatePower...gorgeous animation I honestly think its the best Dragon Ball has ever looked barring, maybe, the most recent 3 movies. I can’t for the life of me figure out why they went back to The Red Ribbon Army when they kind of adapted that with Mystical Adventure anyways. They should have combined the first arc with Piccolo Daimou.
So, basically Dragon Ball Evolution
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:08 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:Path to UltimatePower...gorgeous animation I honestly think its the best Dragon Ball has ever looked barring, maybe, the most recent 3 movies. I can’t for the life of me figure out why they went back to The Red Ribbon Army when they kind of adapted that with Mystical Adventure anyways. They should have combined the first arc with Piccolo Daimou.
A better version of that, but yes.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:22 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:I’ve seen all 3 English versions of Curse of the Blood Rubies but never actually bothered with the Japanese version.

Path to UltimatePower...gorgeous animation I honestly think its the best Dragon Ball has ever looked barring, maybe, the most recent 3 movies. I can’t for the life of me figure out why they went back to The Red Ribbon Army when they kind of adapted that with Mystical Adventure anyways. They should have combined the first arc with Piccolo Daimou.
Well Movie 3 isn't the Red Ribbom Army arc, it's something different. Plus this movie came out 10 years later after 13 other movies. I wished they kept this going as a movie series though, the next movie could have started with Kuririn and Goku training, becoming friends, the Tenkaichi Budokai, Piccolo Daimao, and end it on Goku and Chichi flying off to get married except... they kinda skipped over Chichi in the first movie, they'd probably have to introduce her as a younger contestant in the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai who falls in love with Goku there.

I guess they're missing Tao Pai Pai too, he didn't get to appear and then be defeated by Goku in the first movie so there's less motive for Tsuru-sennin to want revenge.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:51 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:I’ve seen all 3 English versions of Curse of the Blood Rubies but never actually bothered with the Japanese version.

Well Movie 3 isn't the Red Ribbom Army arc, it's something different. Plus this movie came out 10 years later after 13 other movies. I wished they kept this going as a movie series though, the next movie could have started with Kuririn and Goku training, becoming friends, the Tenkaichi Budokai, Piccolo Daimao, and end it on Goku and Chichi flying off to get married except... they kinda skipped over Chichi in the first movie, they'd probably have to introduce her as a younger contestant in the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai who falls in love with Goku there.

I guess they're missing Tao Pai Pai too, he didn't get to appear and then be defeated by Goku in the first movie so there's less motive for Tsuru-sennin to want revenge.
Movie 3 doesn’t have the red ribbon army (aside fromGeneral Blue) but it does have elements of the Red Ribbon Army arc. Namely Tao Pei Pei and Korin and Bora and Upa. But also Goku meeting Arale. So the movie itself is a mix of the Tenshinhan arc and Red Ribbon army arc.

No different than movie 1 adapting the Pilaf arc (though I always hated that name for the first arc) without Pilaf and his gang.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:26 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:
I think doing Daimao first would rob a unique quality of that arc, which is that it kinda feels like it interrupts the show, like a darker element coming in and subverting everything and demanding everybody's full attention. You don't get that if it's the first adventure Goku goes through. Personally, if I were adapting the stories to film, I'd do the original Dragon Ball hunt first (with elements of RRA, because c'mon), then have the "Goku and Krillin train with Roshi and compete in the Tournament" storyline, and then finish it up with Daimao appearing. That pretty much covers all three story types of Dragon Ball and adapts it to film!

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:22 pm

KBABZ wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
Danfun64 wrote: So, basically Dragon Ball Evolution
I think doing Daimao first would rob a unique quality of that arc, which is that it kinda feels like it interrupts the show, like a darker element coming in and subverting everything and demanding everybody's full attention.
Yet, we have Lord Slug.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:48 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote: A better version of that, but yes.
I think doing Daimao first would rob a unique quality of that arc, which is that it kinda feels like it interrupts the show, like a darker element coming in and subverting everything and demanding everybody's full attention.
Yet, we have Lord Slug.
Lord Slug was the 4th DBZ movie and 7th Dragon Ball movie overall and took place vaguely after the Saiyajin Conflict but before Goku unlocked Super Saiyajin on Namek. Not really the same as the “first story” which is what I think KDBZ’s point is.

Personally I think if you wanted to do a live-action Dragon Ball series

Movie 1- Path to Ultimate Power adaptation
Movie 2- Mix of Piccolo Daimou and 23rd World Tournament
Movie 3- Saiyajin Conflict
Movie 4- Namek
Movie 5- Cyborg saga maybe with or without Cell.
Movie 6- Buu or Broly if Buu would be too “silly”

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:18 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Personally I think if you wanted to do a live-action Dragon Ball series

Movie 1- Path to Ultimate Power adaptation
Movie 2- Mix of Piccolo Daimou and 23rd World Tournament
Movie 3- Saiyajin Conflict
Movie 4- Namek
Movie 5- Cyborg saga maybe with or without Cell.
Movie 6- Buu or Broly if Buu would be too “silly”
My approach would be this:
  1. Dragon Ball Hunt Arc. PtP may work here, but remove the long-term Eighter stuff and replace it instead with Chi-Chi.
  2. 21st/22nd Tournament. Goku goes to Roshi's, trains with Krillin, and meets Tien. Ends like the 22nd Tournament, which leads into...
  3. Daimao. A more condensed adaptation that plays as it always has, just quicker. Also set up the Ultra Divine Water better, and maybe swap out Korin with Kami himself for future-proofing.
  4. The Saiyan Conflict. Piccolo Jr. is more abjectly evil here and is established as having fought Goku MANY times over the years like an assassin.
  5. Namek, of course! Shorten the Frieza fight, cut out the Ginyu Force (sorry guys) to give the final fight more room.
  6. Androids + Cell. Cut to 16-18 immediately, introduce Imperfect Cell as already very strong, make it so he only has to absorb ONE of them to attain perfection.
  7. Buu. Cut out the Great Saiyaman stuff and combine Super Buu and Kid Buu into one character: Kid Buu. Babidi is killed off early for more time.
  8. Battle of Gods
  9. Resurrection of F
  10. Dragon Ball Super: Broly
Unintended result: There is now a "Modern" Movie Canon that the BoG and RoF fils can be a part of to finally resolve where the heck they're supposed to go. This makes the anime adaptations part of Modern Anime Canon and the manga adaptation part of Manga Canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:23 pm

I would look to Mystical Adventure moreso than Path to Power. It does a better job of condensing stories.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:23 pm

ABED wrote:I would look to Mystical Adventure moreso than Path to Power. It does a better job of condensing stories.
While I haven't seen it, I don't like how it combines the Tournament with the back half of the RRA arc. That comes off as distracting to the narrative to me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:30 pm

KBABZ wrote:
ABED wrote:I would look to Mystical Adventure moreso than Path to Power. It does a better job of condensing stories.
While I haven't seen it, I don't like how it combines the Tournament with the back half of the RRA arc. That comes off as distracting to the narrative to me.
That seems rather arbitrary. What was distracting about it? The way Path to Power jumps from moment to moment in the manga bugs me because it doesn't flow. It feels like they are checking moments off a list.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:36 pm

ABED wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
That seems rather arbitrary. What was distracting about it? The way Path to Power jumps from moment to moment in the manga bugs me because it doesn't flow. It feels like they are checking moments off a list.
Won't disagree with you there. Much as I love the art style and music of that movie, the editing can be REALLY bad, like it's trying to squeeze a 1:30 plot into a 1:00 runtime.