Favourite secondary antagonists?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Favourite secondary antagonists?

Post by Zephyr » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:16 pm

Tao Pai Pai is king. He has some of my favorite gags in the series, while also being the first antagonist to pull the series into "serious" territory. In that way, he sort of acts as a microcosm of Dragon Ball's tone in general: zany, but also dire.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:11 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Taopaipai for sure, he was the first villain in the series who gave you the feel of 'okay, this is serious, this guy shows no mercy and Goku is actually in danger of getting killed'.
I agree , you pretty much hit the nail on the head of it weren't for goku's Dragonball he would have died

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:44 am

Of course, Raditz and Nappa will always get my vote.
Android 17 makes a perfect opponent no matter the circumstance
Tao does make a worthy addition as a top villain from Dragon Ball (right behind King Piccolo).
General Rilld is one of my favorite GT villains, actually. Maybe its because he is voiced by Andrew Chandler in the English dub?
Zangya gets some sympathy from me after what Bojack does to her.
The Saibamen for whatever reason makes me want to play as them in video games (a lesser degree for Cell Juniors).
Just for giggles, Ninja Murasaki/Sgt. Purple's fight with Goku always brought a smile on my face.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:11 pm

In no order:

Raditz
Paragus
Dabura
Toppo
Kefla
Nappa
Rildo
A17 & A18 (Android arc)
Hit
Mercenary Tao
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.