Why has Dragon Ball thrived on broadcast TV in the era of streaming?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Why has Dragon Ball thrived on broadcast TV in the era of streaming?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:49 pm

This was supposed to be a thread about how much Dragon Ball's TV License must cost but I decided to do this one instead. I think its because that despite changing viewing habits and TV ala carte, Dragon Ball could be said to be be a warm blanket, it makes you fel warm safe and happy and it brings a sence of comfort to watch on a schedule, like Toonami,Nicktoons, Toonzai and Vortexx
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why has Dragom Ball thrived on TV in the era of Streaming

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:53 am

Has it? Everyone I know who watches Dragon Ball Super watches it on Crunchyroll tbh

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:16 pm

I stream it so I can’t say

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:41 pm

You can't really say it won either way, it's entirely dependable on each country and how it's broadcast to its viewers. In some countries, you can only watch it on TV while in others it allows you to watch it on TV, buy on Blu-ray/DVD and stream it. Some never even get a basic DVD home media release of the series (Z-GT-Kai-Super in Portugal).

Speaking of which, it always made me wonder why the hell Portugal's SIC network who licensed Dragon Ball Kai even bothered because they only showed it more or less once and then never again. It would have been cool if that was available because the Z dub in that country is 4Kids-level.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Why has Dragon Ball thrived on broadcast TV in the era of streaming?

Post by PFM18 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:29 pm

I think you could say this 10 years ago when it wasn't really an era of streaming, but now everyone watches it through streaming services it seems. Crunchyroll seems to be the place to watch the recent stuff and you can stream the older material in several different places as well. I would imagine that it isn't doing extremely well on TV

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:47 pm

And you would be both wrong and right, because while yes, TV sure isnt what it used to be Dragon Ball still puts people in seats to watch.

This image shows us that Dragon Ball Kai (That's why I said DRAGON BALL in the title and not just Super) puts 500K or half a million viewers in their seats to watch. Sure thing, but that's a pretty low number compared to what it used to do, you might say, but where comes the part where we talk about Super.

#29 Boruto: 441,000
#14 Super: 628,000
#34 Mob Psycho 100 443,000
#36 Attack on Titan 404,000
#52 JoJo 332,000

Super not only socred 620k viewers is also the 14nth most watch program of the day. I even dare to say that if it was put earlier it could pull a million even! But quite wisely Dragon Ball Kai and Super are sandwiched between the weaker shows so they too can thrive. The power of Dragon Ball is amazing indeed.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:11 am

People still do watch TV. If they didn't, we wouldn't have cable or satellite. Lots of shows -- heck, the overwhelming majority of shows -- air on TV just fine. Somebody's watching.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:55 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:And you would be both wrong and right, because while yes, TV sure isnt what it used to be Dragon Ball still puts people in seats to watch.

This image shows us that Dragon Ball Kai (That's why I said DRAGON BALL in the title and not just Super) puts 500K or half a million viewers in their seats to watch. Sure thing, but that's a pretty low number compared to what it used to do, you might say, but where comes the part where we talk about Super.

#29 Boruto: 441,000
#14 Super: 628,000
#34 Mob Psycho 100 443,000
#36 Attack on Titan 404,000
#52 JoJo 332,000

Super not only socred 620k viewers is also the 14nth most watch program of the day. I even dare to say that if it was put earlier it could pull a million even! But quite wisely Dragon Ball Kai and Super are sandwiched between the weaker shows so they too can thrive. The power of Dragon Ball is amazing indeed.
See, you're trying to boil every country in the world down to one simple answer either a 'Yes' or a 'No', and that just isn't possible. As I said, it's entirely dependable on each country and how it broadcasts whether via TV or Stream.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:39 am

That's also very true. Sorry about that. But I still mantain that Dragon Ball still does pretty well on TV. And if you take examples like Brazil and Chile where it scored 3 million (Brazil) or almost outdid Game Of Thrones (Chile). That's all I'm saying.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 am

My guess is that people want to see it first which is when it airs on TV. I believe episodes are put up for streaming after the initial airing. So simply out of seeing the first viewing possible people would still choose TV broadcast over streaming. Then there's also the fact that it's a bit more authentic. Yes, commercial breaks are a pain and all, but they're part of the experience, for better or worse. You can't get that streaming legal or illegal.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:06 am

People are having special bonds with TV. Same way people still prefer reading a physical copy of a book, a comic, a manga, a magazine, a newspaper etc. rather than reading it online.

At least, that how I see it. :P