WIth Pokemon Live Action a thing, maybe a serious Live Action DB Series could work...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

WIth Pokemon Live Action a thing, maybe a serious Live Action DB Series could work...

Post by Professor Freeza » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:51 pm

I would say i really like the realistic Pokemon designs. And we have all seen Datrinti and other artists model real people intro Dragon Ball characters.

So maybe... IF this Pokemon movie works out... could we hope for a return of DB in live action?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: WIth Pokemon Live Action a thing, maybe a serious Live Action DB Series could work...

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:14 pm

That could work or in style à la Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Re: WIth Pokemon Live Action a thing, maybe a serious Live Action DB Series could work...

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:15 pm

I always have hopes for a live-action DB (either TV/film series) to be done well.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:43 pm

I've always thought it could work. I just don't know if they'd ever get the right talent required for it.

Its not like that it would be that difficult to make a faithful adaptation of say the Saiyan Saga. Some of the looks like Goku's eye and Krillin lack of a nose could be odd but probably the biggest issue would be regarding Gohan.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:52 pm

Detective Pikachu looks good because they just inserted Pokemon into our world with more of a neo-noir bent instead of trying to cram in something from the games or TV show into a movie format.

That's not gonna work if you want to see anything remotely like anything from the manga or anime in live action.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ratbomb

Post by ratbomb » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Bullza wrote:I've always thought it could work. I just don't know if they'd ever get the right talent required for it.

Its not like that it would be that difficult to make a faithful adaptation of say the Saiyan Saga. Some of the looks like Goku's eye and Krillin lack of a nose could be odd but probably the biggest issue would be regarding Gohan.
What would be the issue with Gohan?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:08 pm

I maintain my view that a live action Dragon Ball movie just wouldn't work. It's largely carried by its art, and it just isn't Dragon Ball without that art. Besides, why do people want it so badly? What would it do that a manga or anime couldn't?

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:22 pm

No it wouldn't because you can't find actors who can really capture Goku in his core like Nozawa, also Live action anime adaptations have never been good

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:20 pm

Forte224 wrote:Besides, why do people want it so badly? What would it do that a manga or anime couldn't?
Give people a vicarious sense of "validation" from seeing their favorite property get more pop cultural spotlight and praise. That's the biggest reason that so many people seem to want this so badly: they want the thing that they love to be the next Avengers/Harry Potter-esque "Darling of the Moment" in the mainstream public eye, because that will give them a quick adrenaline rush of "Ah, now everyone finally realizes how awesome this thing that I'm into has always been, and that (somehow or other) makes me awesome by association!", similar to how sports fans are when their favorite team wins the Superbowl or World Series that season.

Its really, really stupid of course, and always has been. Besides which, there's already metric TONS of actual Wuxia movies that have long been out there for decades and decades now that are pretty much already effectively live action DB films in all but name. Its not as if anyone's been starved for live action movies of mystical martial arts masters flying around, firing Chi lasers, throwing each other through mountains, and fighting demons and even robots and space aliens while melding wacky slapstick goofball comedy with hyper-violent dramatic seriousness, since the 1980s. Having one that specifically stars Toriyama's characters isn't somehow inherently an absolute must of a priority that urgently needs to happen.

You want some kind of a live action DBZ fix, just go pop in A Chinese Tall Story or a Buddha's Palm movie or something along those lines. We don't necessarily NEED another movie of Sun Wukong flying around punching and blasting away alien invaders: people have already made that movie. Quite a few times now.
ekrolo2 wrote:Detective Pikachu looks good because they just inserted Pokemon into our world with more of a neo-noir bent instead of trying to cram in something from the games or TV show into a movie format.
I seriously hope you just meant "looks good" purely and solely in a raw aesthetic "the effects and creatures meld themselves seamlessly with the live action footage" sense, and not in a "this looks like its gonna be a legitimately really cool and worthwhile movie!" sort of sense. :sick: :sick: :sick:
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:28 pm

The movie looks like it will be a fun kids movie and worth the price of admission. If it clears that bar, I'm happy.

I don't think DB would work in live action. I can't articulate exactly why, and I don't have a pressing need or desire to be proven wrong.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:38 pm

ratbomb wrote:What would be the issue with Gohan?
He'd be a little 5 or 6 year old kid with a major role and little kids can't act. Plus he has a large fighting role and it'd look silly to see him fighting a grown adult and they probably wouldn't be able to get away with the adults kicking him around.

That's one thing that can work for the anime but not a live action movie.

You see Kindergarten Cop? Remember the little kids? Imagine one of them having a serious fight scene with Arnold Schwarzenegger. That's Gohan vs Nappa.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:43 pm

DB is better off not having any live-action stuff. The settings and the characters would look really out of place.

And don't think that just because a filmmaker is passionate about the franchise, he'd do a good job at handling DB.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:54 pm

Professor Freeza wrote:I would say i really like the realistic Pokemon designs. And we have all seen Datrinti and other artists model real people intro Dragon Ball characters.

So maybe... IF this Pokemon movie works out... could we hope for a return of DB in live action?
Possibly, but Dragon Ball isnt as popular of a franchise as Pokemon is, so I doubt its get as much investment.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Bullza wrote:
ratbomb wrote:What would be the issue with Gohan?
He'd be a little 5 or 6 year old kid with a major role and little kids can't act. Plus he has a large fighting role and it'd look silly to see him fighting a grown adult and they probably wouldn't be able to get away with the adults kicking him around.

That's one thing that can work for the anime but not a live action movie.

You see Kindergarten Cop? Remember the little kids? Imagine one of them having a serious fight scene with Arnold Schwarzenegger. That's Gohan vs Nappa.

I'm just gonna leave these here.

Image Image

Image Image

Oh, and also this.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:28 pm

I think a live action series featuring Bulma as the lead character could work, with Goku in a supporting role. Something like that could air on the CW network maybe.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:06 pm

Given how DBE was a critical and box office flop, I still doubt anyone in Hollywood would want to touch DB again anytime soon.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:13 pm

It may have been done before, but doesn't make it not silly.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:59 pm

ABED wrote:
It may have been done before, but doesn't make it not silly.
Couple things:

1) This is Dragon Ball and Wuxia: two very much inherently, fundamentally silly things.

Dragon Ball contains an old man (Muten Roshi) who at one point rides around on the back of a miniature version of the Kaiju monster Gamera (a giant turtle that flies around with rockets up its butt), as well as small palm-sized capsules that sprout entire fully functioning and furnished homes, a flying/shapeshifting cat and pig, magic beans, a martial artist who kills a guy with his tongue, transforming wereapes from outer space, a time traveling insect person, a universe destroying demon made out of magic pink bubblegum, and whatever the hell this nonsense might be described as.

And Wuxia more broadly-speaking has... you know what, I'm just gonna reiterate once more that there was once a Wuxia movie that had a giant, magic, kung fu fighting, sentient, rampaging peach monster.

That fired Ki blasts from its belly-button.

Image Image
And it was the single greatest thing ever committed to celluloid by anyone in all of film history

So yeah: small children getting into kung fu battles (normal or over the top magical/super-powered) is, in the grand scheme of things here, REALLY not any more inherently ridiculous or off-puttingly silly than anything else already present in either DB itself or in the broader framework of its genre as a whole.

And 2) Contrary to Bullza's assertion (using fucking Kindergarten Cop of all movies as a creative yardstick), there are indeed some damn talented child actors and martial artists out there who can more than hold their own alongside adult co-stars in a kung fu movie. The kid I used as an example in those earlier gifs (Tse Miu) successfully held the screen alongside none other than motherfucking Jet Li in his 90s prime.

And I'm going to once more highlight this clip here of Angie Tsang (who was all of 12/13 years old at the time) as a child-aged Wong Fei Hung in Iron Monkey.

Tsang fucking KILLS in this movie, both as an actor and as a martial arts stunt performer. To this day the woman (now in her 30s) is and remains a world-champion Wushu competitor outside of film.

Am I saying that there AREN'T a lot of shitty child actors out there that stink up a ton of movies? Of course I'm not. There's also plenty of shitty adult actors that likewise ruin movies with awful performances. I'm simply pointing out that there are also plenty of damn talented kids out there as well that are more than capable of putting in some great work in some good movies (even in action and stunt-heavy martial arts/wuxia films), and discounting that - based on a movie like a shitty Schwarzenegger family comedy acting as one's critical gauge - is a touch narrow-thinking here.

This shit isn't anywhere NEAR as unthinkable or un-doable in live action as so many people around here blow it up into being. One of the many reasons that I harp so much on the Wuxia thing is because so many people here act like literally NOTHING even VAGUELY approaching Dragon Ball's style has EVER been attempted before in live action. When in reality, not only has it been attempted, its been routinely cranked out by the truckloads over in Hong Kong and Taiwan for the better part of the last... hundred or so years of film history now?

All the constant hand-wringing that goes on in these kinds of threads (that I swear crop up almost routinely) "How can a live action DB movie POSSIBLY work? Nothing at all like it has ever been tried before!" just gets to become comically absurd when its like... guys, take a look outside of the latest round of MCU and Young Adult summer tentpole films for five seconds, and you'll find that there's a GARGANTUAN library's worth of movies out there that have taken on DB's trappings, style, and themes more than plentifully. Many of them in fact were what inspired and influenced Dragon Ball's creation in the first place.

People need to stop thinking about movies solely in terms of the latest crop of Hollywood blockbusters and start branching out their film horizons a little more.

Oh, and Detective Pikachu looks about as appealing as a trip to the gas chamber. Gas chamber might even edge it out a little if one were forced to choose between the two.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:33 pm

Well, Legendary Pictures (the same company that’s helming the upcoming Pokémon movie) are supposed to be making a live action adaptation of My Hero Academia, which seems to be a pretty weird series from what I can tell, so maybe the performance of that would be a better indication of whether or not a live action DB movie could work?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:52 am

I don't have any interest in a live action film. I don't see the artistic value in it and I'm not especially enthused by the prospective talent that may or may not work on such a project.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter