Best PAL DVD of Bardock TV Special?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Best PAL DVD of Bardock TV Special?

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:21 am

Long story short, the Portuguese DVDs of the movies and TV specials use some old and ugly VHS masters as the source of their DVD transfers:
I've been meaning to do a custom DVD of the portuguese version for quite some time, so I'm looking for the best PAL transfer available on DVD. I understand that the remastered Dragon Box masters are the best quality source on DVD. But then again, they are NTSC.

So my question is: Is there a PAL release of the TV special that properly uses the remastered masters? I'm mainly focusing on the picture quality, the audio is not really important (although if it comes with the original japanese, then all the better). Feel free to post some lossless screencaps if you have them.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Luso Saiyan on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Best PAL DVD of Bardock TV Special?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:15 am

I'd recommend you Selecta Visión's Blu-ray release (only €10.20 not counting the shipping cost) but it's really just FUNimation's Double Feature remaster with the Castillan dub and the Japanese audio (+ Cast subs).

FUNimation's original Bardock TV Special DVD R1 release is compatible with R2 DVD Players, if I recall correctly, so you could just get that (or Madman's version) as it shows the whole 4x3 AR picture than being cropped to 16x9 AR.

Besides those, there's also AB Video's edition but I can't remember much from that one.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:21 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:I'd recommend you Selecta Visión's Blu-ray release (only €10.20 not counting the shipping cost) but it's really just FUNimation's Double Feature remaster with the Castillan dub and the Japanese audio (+ Cast subs).
The back picture says that includes the 4:3 versions in SD. Do you have this edition?
JohnnyCashKami wrote:FUNimation's original Bardock TV Special DVD R1 release is compatible with R2 DVD Players, if I recall correctly, so you could just get that (or Madman's version) as it shows the whole 4x3 AR picture than being cropped to 16x9 AR.
The issue is PAL speedup, not DVD compatibility. That's why I need a PAL DVD release to match the audio track.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:47 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:I'd recommend you Selecta Visión's Blu-ray release (only €10.20 not counting the shipping cost) but it's really just FUNimation's Double Feature remaster with the Castillan dub and the Japanese audio (+ Cast subs).
The back picture says that includes the 4:3 versions in SD. Do you have this edition?
JohnnyCashKami wrote:FUNimation's original Bardock TV Special DVD R1 release is compatible with R2 DVD Players, if I recall correctly, so you could just get that (or Madman's version) as it shows the whole 4x3 AR picture than being cropped to 16x9 AR.
The issue is PAL speedup, not DVD compatibility. That's why I need a PAL DVD release to match the audio track.
Well, to correct myself, it does have two versions one in SD and one in HD.

This review in Castillan goes into detail:
Este producto es defectuoso ya de origen, pues los especiales de TV que supuestamente incluye este disco se crearon para emitir con la serie original, y están hechos para pantallas cuadrada, pero lo que se nos ha anunciado son versiones recortadas por arriba y por abajo de una forma salvaje, perdiendo un 30% de la imagen original, para que se pueda llenar una pantalla panorámica actual.

Por lo tanto, este lanzamiento no incluye en HD las obras originales, sino una versión recortada y mutilada de ellos.

Como extra. se incluye una versión en SD de los especiales con su versión en SD sacada directamente de los DVD's anteriores, pero la calidad de imagen es brutalmente inferior. Al menos, podemos disponer de los especiales originales en un disco mucho más fiable que un DVD.

Todo lo demás es exactamente igual a lo que incluía la anterior edición DVD en cuanto a doblajes, sólo que esta vez dicen no haber pasado los audios por filtros tan agresivos.

Para el que quiera ver la diferencia, la imagen panorámica es del especial de Barduck en Blu-ray y la otra está sacada de la anterior edición DVD. El cambio y la mutilación salta a la vista

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 am

Thanks. From the picture he posted, it looks like the remastered version:

But it's hard to say. It also is unknown if it is 24fps or 25 fps.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Here's an English translation of that Castilian review.

(Translators note: some words have been changed, replaced or added to make it more natural for English readers while retaining the original spirit of the original text as much as possible. -Superrayman3)

This product is defective from the start because the TV specials that are supposedly included on this disc were made to be broadcasted with the original series and made for square screens, but what has been announced are versions that are cut at the top and bottom, creating a widescreen shape which loses 30% of the original image so that a current widescreen TV can be filled.

(Translators note: although the review says 30% of the image is lost it's actually probably closer to 40% considering if this Spanish Blu-ray is based off of the FUNi widescreen versions of the specials, then 20% of the image would be cut from both the top and bottom making it 40% of the image lost and not 30 if the math is correct -Superrayman3)

Therefore, this release does not include the original works in HD, but rather mutilated versions of them instead.

As an extra, SD versions of the specials are also included with the SD versions being taken directly from the previous DVD's, but the image quality is brutally inferior. At least we now have the original specials on a much more reliable disc than a DVD.

Everything else is exactly the same as what was included in the previous DVD edition in terms of dubbing, only this time they say they haven't improved the audio because of aggressive filtering.

For those who want to see the difference, the widescreen image is from the Bardock special on Blu-ray and the other is taken from the previous DVD edition. The change and mutilation is obvious.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Yes, I'm aware that the FUNimation Blu-ray of the TV special is cropped to widescreen. But what I'm looking for is the remastered, fullscreen 4:3 version in a PAL DVD. If such thing exists, that is. The release mentioned above includes the fullscreen version, but wether it's remastered and in 25fps remains to be seen. If anyone has this release and could confirm that, I would appreciate it. Or if someone knows of another PAL DVD released of the remastered version. Don't know if there's another spanish, french or italian release like that.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:37 pm

The Spanish release is not sped up, it was field-blended to 25fps to keep the original NTSC speed.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:02 pm

Puto wrote:The Spanish release is not sped up, it was field-blended to 25fps to keep the original NTSC speed.
Didn't know that. Now I'm wondering if the portuguese release is that way as well. I'll have to check later.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:28 pm

If you're re-encoding it, couldn't you take an NTSC or 1080p24 version and speed it up to PAL? I think the free software Avidemux would allow you to do this and export it as a DVD-compatible MPEG2 encoding.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:27 pm

LostTimeLord wrote:If you're re-encoding it, couldn't you take an NTSC or 1080p24 version and speed it up to PAL? I think the free software Avidemux would allow you to do this and export it as a DVD-compatible MPEG2 encoding.
The idea was to use a PAL source to avoid re-encoding and any quality loss.

EDIT:

To illustrate how bad the Portuguese DVD (right) is:

Image Image

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:17 am

Pretty sure that there isn't any sped up DVD of this particular special that doesn't look like crap.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:40 pm

Puto wrote:Pretty sure that there isn't any sped up DVD of this particular special that doesn't look like crap.
Well, if that's the case then there's only one solution: adjust the dub audio stream to fit the regular length of the special. Hopefully the pitch won't sound too low... Whenever I get the time to do it, I'll post a sample here too.