What did Stan Lee think about Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

What did Stan Lee think about Dragon Ball?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:06 am

He sadly passed away at the age of 95 (kind of an awesome age to reach, though) as everyone already knows but I don't remember ever reading or seeing him talk about Dragon Ball. How did he feel about it? Did he ever share his thoughts on Masako Nozawa (the Original Son Goku) and Akira Toriyama? Is there video footage of it at all?

Thank you.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What did Stan Lee think about Dragon Ball?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:35 pm

Stan Lee (godspeed :( ) was at least aware of anime and manga in general, between the various Japanese productions that have come up of Marvel's properties over the years, as well as new things that Lee was involved with (like the anime Heroman, or the manga Ultimo). But Dragon Ball specifically? I don't know that anything has ever shown that he was aware of it. There's likely a decent chance he'd at least heard the title somewhere before, just between how well-known the franchise is and just still going to conventions for so late into his life, but beyond that, I doubt he was super familiar with the brand.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Stan Lee (godspeed :( ) was at least aware of anime and manga in general, between the various Japanese productions that have come up of Marvel's properties over the years, as well as new things that Lee was involved with (like the anime Heroman, or the manga Ultimo). But Dragon Ball specifically? I don't know that anything has ever shown that he was aware of it. There's likely a decent chance he'd at least heard the title somewhere before, just between how well-known the franchise is and just still going to conventions for so late into his life, but beyond that, I doubt he was super familiar with the brand.
Considering his interest in anime/manga and collaboration with creators like Hiroyuki Takei, and the massive popularity and influence of the Dragonball brand, I would be incredibly surprised if he was not at least passingly familiar with it. However, I don't recall ever hearing him mention it.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:28 am

I've seen a lot of weird questions on this board, but "Did Stan Lee ever mention Masako Nozawa in an interview?" might have to take the biscuit.

No, there's no readily-available indication that he was aware of Dragon Ball, but I'm sure he would have at least heard of it in passing somewhere.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:10 pm

We will never know.

That said, I hope he came across it on a TV/library and what he saw of it he enjoyed.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.