Which arcs do you think each recurring character was best and worst potrayed in and why?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Which arcs do you think each recurring character was best and worst potrayed in and why?

Post by zarmack » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:19 pm

What saga do you think each character (that's appeared in more than one arc) was best (and worst) written in and why? This includes arcs from GT and filler, though no movies.

I'll start off with some of my choices and give an explanation why in another post.

Goku
Best: Majin Buu arc.
Worst: Black Star arc

Vegeta
Worst: Copy Vegeta arc

Bulma
Best: Android/Cell arc
Worst: Namek arc

Gohan
Best: Saiyan arc
Worst: RoF arc

Piccolo
Worst: ToP arc (manga only)

Freeza
Best: Namek arc

Future Trunks
Worst: Black arc (manga only)

Android 17
Best: ToP arc (anime only)
Worst: Super 17 arc

Goten
Best: Baby arc

Krillin
Best: 21st TB arc
Worst: Android/Cell arc

Tien
Best: 22nd TB arc
Worst: ToP arc (both versions)

Present Trunks
Best: Majin Buu arc

Beerus
Best: Battle of Gods arc

Any thoughts?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Which arcs do you think each recurring character was best and worst potrayed in and why?

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:30 am

Son Goku
Best: Piccolo Daimou saga
Worst: Buu saga

Bulma
Best: Android/Cell saga
Worst: Shenron saga

Yamucha
Best: Shenron saga
Worst: Post-Saiyajin

Kuririn
Best: Namek saga
Worst: Tournament saga

Tenshinhan
Best: Tenshinhan saga
Worst: Post-Saiyajin

Piccolo:
Best: Saiyajin saga

Gohan
Best: Saiyajin saga

Vegeta
Best: Namek Saga
Worst: Saiyajin saga

Chichi
Best: Wedding Dress filler arc
Worst: Namek saga

Leaving out GT and Super stuff out of preference not that they’re less valid

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Which arcs do you think each recurring character was best and worst potrayed in and why?

Post by TheBigBoy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:03 am

Vegeta is at his absolute best in the Namek/Freeza arcs. Just a "freakin' genius" who is thinking 2 steps ahead of everyone else. Picking off Freeza's lieutenants like a villain in a slasher movie and using his newfound abilities to his advantage. Even just having Kuririn nearly kill him to boost his power shows his tenacity and awareness of the rules of the series. I think his escape from Freeza's ship while stealing the Dragon Bal's is one of my favorite moments. He buys into his own hype so much that he actually thinks he's the legendary Super Saiyan until he gets a HARD dose of reality. His arc concludes perfectly with him realizing that Goku is actually The Guy. He's never this interesting again IMO...he comes close as Majin Vegeta but...HOT TAKE ALERT...I probably would have liked him more overall if he stayed dead after Freeza. The series works hard to redeem him but I don't like how whiny and ineffectual he is in the Cell arc. Plus it's hard to rehab a guy who committed genocide for fun and profit.

I like him a lot in the Saiyan arc as well. He's AWESOME as a straight villain.

Kuririn is pretty good at the arc as well. He's outgunned on all sides but is smart and resourceful enough to keep the team afloat until backup arrives....plus he gets to punk on the main villain for a while. Something he NEVER really gets to do.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:00 am

Only doing the original series as worst will always end up being something from Super. I’ll do a follow up post for just GT and Super later.

Son Goku
Best: Majin Boo
Worst: Hunt for the Dragon Balls

- Goku in the Majin Boo arc feels the most mature he’s ever been. He has a certain wisdom to how he carries himself and I love how he wants to pass on the torch to the next generation. While I love how he interacts with the rest of the cast during the Boo conflict, he wins major points just for the ending. Goku flying off to train Oob brings his arc full circle while wrapping up the series thematically.

- Goku in the first arc just doesn’t have much of a character. He’s flat, bland, and not particularly motivated. I think there’s still a chance to how he’s written, but he’s far from compelling. Training with Kame Sen’nin in the next arc helps his character quite a bit.

Bulma
Best: Cell
Worst: Namek

- Cell arc Bulma is mature, genuinely helpful, and has a nice presence. I especially love Future Bulma’s depiction, both in the anime and the manga. You can really see how she influenced Trunks.

- Bulma on Namek does very little other than acting as some brief moments of levity. The anime takes this a bit too far, but she’s not a BAD presence. This is just her worst depiction as she feels like an afterthought despite coming along for the ride. Very reminiscent of the General Blue stuff, albeit she played a more significant role there.

Muten Roshi
Best: 21st Tenkaichi Budokai
Worst: Any Z-era arc

- Who doesn’t love Jackie Chun showing everyone who’s boss at the Tenkaichi Budokai? I also love the slow unraveling of who Kame Sen’nin is as a character. He’s a lecher, but he’s a genuine master with some great philosophy worth passing along.

- Muten Roshi is so consistently absent past the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai that you can’t really pin down just own Z-era arc. To be fair, though, his lesser role is appropriate as his arc came to a very definitive close. No real complaints from me.

Kuririn
Best: Namek
Worst: Red Ribbon Army

- Kuririn on Namek is large, in charge, and putting his best self forward. He’s at his absolute bravest and the first half really allows him to shine as a character. Come the Freeza fight, you can’t help but cheer him on and feel Goku’s pain when he seemingly dies for good.

- Kuririn during the Red Ribbon Army arc is another story entirely. Not only does the plot poorly utilize him such as having him immediately lose in Uranai Baba’s Tournament, Goku overshadows him completely.

Yamcha
Best: Hunt for the Dragon Balls
Worst: Cell

- The first arc gives Yamcha an actual character development, gives him some nice focus, and even has him save the day. It’s all downhill from there, but his character stays strong until the Cell arc.

- Yamcha in the Cell arc honestly just exists to suffer humiliation after humiliation. He’s the first to get attacked by the Artifical Humans, he cheats on Bulma, and he practically retires form martial arts. What a truly sad fate.

Tenshinhan
Best: 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai
Worst: Piccolo Daimao

- Tenshinhan’s character arc during the 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai is easily one of the series’ best. He starts out as a wannabe assassin and ends up a genuine martial artist. Every major best in the arc serves to build up the man Ten will become.

- Only for Toriyama to poorly utilize him in the Piccolo Daimao arc. He spends so much time learning the Mafuba only to be bodied by Drum and do absolutely nothing to hurt Piccolo. At least he saves Goku’s life with Bukujutsu.

Chaozu
Best: 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai
Worst: 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai

- To be fair, Chaozu isn’t a particularly compelling character regardless of arc. The 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai gives him a weird and snarky personality that works for him.

- By the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, said personality is gone and he’s defeated but TaoPaiPai in four short panel. Ah well.

Piccolo
Best: Saiyan
Worst: Majin Boo

- Piccolo character arc in the Saiyan arc is my personal favorite show of development in the entire series. It’s heartfelt, believable, and ends on a genuinely emotional beat. Piccolo’s death remains the only moment in the series that consistently makes me tear up.

- Piccolo in the Majin Boo arc is fine and quite funny, but pairing him with Gotenks more often than not doesn’t help him all too much. That portion of the story always drags for me and it’s hard to appreciate where Piccolo has ended up as a character at that point.

Son Gohan
Best: Saiyan

- Alongside Piccolo, the Saiyan arc developed Gohan quite a bit. He’s a fundamentally different by the end of the fight with Vegeta. Going into Namek, he’s confident and determined. Toriyama really hit it out of the park when writing Gohan.

- Only to drop the ball with the Cell arc. The problem with Gohan in the Cell arc is simply that he doesn’t play a large enough role before the last act. He’s so in the background that his showing the Cell Game, while enjoyable to read, feels totally out of place.

Vegeta
Best: Majin Boo

- Boo arc Vegeta’s struggle with who he was and who he’s become is just such a compelling story. What makes me love him, though, isn’t his story in the first half, but the second. Vegeta admitting Goku is number one might actually be my favorite moment in the entire franchise. It’s well earned and wraps up Vegeta’s arc perfectly.

- It’s honestly amazing how good Boo arc Vegeta is when his Cell arc counterpart puts up such a poor showing. He has too much of a presence, constantly makes insufferable decisions, and warms up to Trunks way too late even if the moment he does makes perfect narrative sense. It’s a shame as Vegeta played the role of the helpful antagonist so well on Namek.
Last edited by OhHiRenan on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:25 am

Please remember to include thoughts/context for the items you are describing, rather than posting simple lists. Thank you!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:04 pm

Counting only characters that appeared in at least two series out of four.

Goku

Best: Shadow Dragons saga
Worst: Cell saga / Tournament of Power saga

I always say that kid Goku was a lot more fun + he has SSJ4 which made his SD saga or GT overall best version of him.
Cell saga and ToP were the most stupid and annoying portrayals of Goku

Vegeta

Best: Majin Buu saga
Worst: Cell saga / Copy-Vegeta saga

Buu saga had the best balance between good design, personality and relevance. GT had design and personality, DBS had relevance.
Copy-Vegeta saga was absolute garbage and everyone knows that. In Cell saga he was annoying af and dumb more than ever.

Bulma

Worst: Frieza saga

I never liked this character except for her Buu saga portrayal and GT for helping Vegeta.
Her future self from Z was cool tho.

Gohan

Best: Majin Buu saga (early)
Worst: Cell saga

Early Buu saga Gohan was so fun. I like him being portrayed as responsible father and husband that's why GT and most of Super overall did better on him than Z where he was awful character until Buu saga.
That brat from Cell saga wasn't even Gohan so tbh i shouldn't put Cell saga on this list. The boy sucked.

Videl

Worst: Entire DBS

Note that i still like her in Super and she is still probably my favourite character from Super but she is almost nothing like Videl and while still good, her Z&GT versions were better. Worst doesn't mean bad in this case. You can look at "Worst" as "Least Best" honestly :lol: Also it's hard to pick just one arc because after Z she was more like support character so there wasn't any difference between Super/GT arcs.

Pan

Best: Black Star Dragon Ball saga
Worst: Entire DBS

She got huge character development in first GT saga and a lot of memorable scenes basically making her my favourite character in franchise.
For worst see Videl. It's the same reason. I still like her in Super and i can't just pick one arc because there is no difference.

Piccolo

Best: Cell saga
Worst: RoF saga

Piccolo was easily saving grace of Cell saga.
RoF saga is the worst because of rehashed and pointless death. Nothing especially bad except for that.

Freeza

Best: Frieza saga
Worst: RoF saga

Tbh everything about Frieza after Namek sucked. But RoF sucked the most. Golden Frieza, my god. Also rehashed return from early Cell saga.

Android 17

Best: Super 17 saga
Worst: ToP saga

People will probably eat me for this, but i was never big fan of #17 aka "#18's brother". Super 17 was badass and sick and that's the reason this arc won. In ToP he did a lot for team and was more relevant than ever, but i simply didn't enjoy portrayal of this character. Yeah, the only version of #17 i really liked was Super 17.

Android 18

Best: Cell saga (late)
Worst: End of Z

She is always awesome so this is just a battle of designs. The best won. The worst lost. Simple as that.

Future Trunks

Best: Cell saga
Worst: Zamasu saga

There isn't much to choose considering he appears in two arcs. So one of them has to be best, second one has to be worst. I enjoyed his Z version a lot more so it won.

Present Trunks

Best: Black Star Dragon Balls saga
Worst: Buu saga / entire DBS

I never liked kid Trunks so all his appearances are the worst (+ in Super there wasn't much difference between arcs except for him having small role in Zamasu saga). The best has to be Black Star since Trunks got his own personality in GT, existed without Goten and was very useful despite not being much help in battle.

Goten

Best: Baby saga
Worst: entire DBS

His Buu saga version was awesome but in GT, just like Trunks, he actually existed as a character on his own + got his own 1vs1 fight against MAIN villain of arc. Awesome. There isn't anything wrong with his Super version. It's just that he barely exists in series, does completely nothing on his own even with Trunks. While Trunks at least slightly existed on his own (relationship with Mai and his future self), Goten didn't exist as character at all.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:30 am

Goku
Best - Cell Arc: While he was out half the arc, his fights with Android 19 and Cell were great even though he lost both of them. He also shows a bit of subtle maturity as he knew he reached his limit and knew that his son could surpass him. He showed great faith in his sonand even took responsibility when things went south and sacrificed himself.
Worst - TOR Arc: While I do enjoy the arc, it seems like they want to either blame or forgive Goku, it doesn't seem like no real development has happened nor does the story.

Vegeta
Best - Buu Arc: He went evil because he was tired for being content, then his atonement, and then coming back and admit that Goku was the best as he watched Goku fight Kid Buu.
Worst - Cell Arc: Despite him having his hand in defeating Cell, he was kind of a insufferable at time because he wanted both the Androids released and Cell being perfect which endangered others around him.

Gohan
Best - Cell Arc: He was recognised by his dad as being the strongest and he went through an emotional journey with his fight against Cell that made him the hero of that arc.
Worst - ROF: While he was fine in the movie, the anime just made him just a calling card for Goku and Vegeta. Then he said he wanted to train again but that went nowhere until TOP.

Krillin
Best - Freeza Arc: Probably Krillin's finest moments were from here. He was the leader for most of this and had some great moment against both the Ginyu Force and Freeza.
Worst - Red Ribbon Army: Mostly outside of Blue and loss against the Vampire, he really didn't contribute much.

Piccolo
Best - Saiyan Arc: His emotional journey with Gohan went out with a bang.
Worst - Universe 6 Arc: While his fight with Frost was entertaining, it really seemed like he didn't need to be there.

Yamcha
Best - Pilaf Arc: The first arc was probably his finest. Sure he was goofy and was kind of a villian,but he did help stop Goku's ape form and saved Bulma from King Carrot.
Worst - Cell Arc: For obvious reasons.

Tien
Best - 22nd Tournament: His introductory arc was his best. From villian to redeemable, he had a great moments and fights.
Worst - TOP Arc: He shows up and doesn't really do anything.

Master Roshi
Best - 22nd Tournament: He had great fights with the Man Wolf and Tien. His conversation with Tien while Goku and Krillin are fighting is just amazing.
Worst - Buu Arc: Mostly since he is just a background character.

Chiaotzu
Best -22nd Tournament: For obvious reasons.
Worst - Cell Arc: Tien finally pushed him to the side to keep him safe and nothing ever comes from it.

Future Trunks
Both Cell arc and Goku Black arc were great with him. Since he only shows up in those two arcs, I really can't think of anything bad about him.

Present Trunks
Best - Black Star/Baby Arc: Him being the tech and straight man to Goku's and Pan's shenanigens is hilarious. Also he defeated Muchi Muchi to save Goku.
Worst - Super Android 17 Arc: He didn't contribute much other then defeating Yakon and some Saibamen.

Goten
Best - Black Star/Baby arc: He was fun in this arc as he was on his date. Also had an entertaining fight against Baby.
Worst - Super Android 17 Arc: He didn't contribute much other then defeating Pui Pui and some Saibamen.

Yajirobe
Best - Saiyan Arc: Him saving Goku and and then later Gohan shows that he can be brave despite how he acts.
Worst - 23rd Tournament Arc: He shows up but doesn't do much.

Majin Buu
Best -Buu Arc: He had great development and his freindship with Hercule is heartwarming.
Worst - All of Super: Super just keeps going back on the gag of him sleeping so he doesn't do anything.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Goku
Best - Freeza Arc: It's a classic, but it describes his courage and determination so well. We got a lot of information right before and during the battle about what Goku must have been experiencing and thinking, which gives us insights about how he grew and in a sense became more mature as a person and a fighter.
Worst - U6 Arc: It's important for characterization and how you feel about characters, to know more about how characters feel about certain actions. That makes us feel empathic as a viewer.
This arc gave him a beyond belief power-up with Blue Kaioken times 10, but very little information about how he must have been experiencing the tournament.

Vegeta
Best - Buu Arc: The first time in his life he truely sacrified himself for reasons that were not selfish. An important step in his character development.
Worst - BOG: besides the epic "My Bulma-moment" I thought he was portrayed as very lame. He was being jealous because he couldn't have the power Goku used, for the rest he didn't do anything meaningful whatsoever.

Gohan
Best - Cell Arc: He really shone during this arc, we all know it's a classic and it truely stands out untill now as 'his moment'. He became mature as a fighter, passed his limits and followed in his fathers footsteps. The fact it was revealed pretty late in the arc he was going to be the main protagonist, made him shine even more.
Worst - ROF: He was just fodder and didn't resemble his former self at all.

Krillin
Best - Saiyan Arc: He excelled in bravery during this one, he just kept on fighting as long as he could, and even challenged Nappa, although he knew he was much stronger.
Worst - Tournament of Power: he was hyped up during the recruitment process as being pretty strong, i really felt he was eliminated too soon within the Tournament, he should have lasted longer, definetely knowing how long Tenshinhan and Master Roshi lasted.

Piccolo
Best - Android Arc: i really liked how he became a real protagonist at some point, fusing with Kame and keeping on pair with A17 during an epic showdown.
And: he basically discovered and located the main antagonist and gave birth to a much forgotten but great fight in which he shone brilliantly versus Imperfect Cell.
Worst - Tournament of Power: pretty weak how he was eliminated, definetely after how he handled the U6-Namekians, his exit should have been way more epic.

Yamcha
Best - Emperor Pilaf Arc: he had most of his glory moments by far within this arc, and we got the most glimps of his personality.
Worst - Tournament of Power: it would have been the moment, like with Gohan and Master Roshi, to give him a major powerboost and make him relevant again. If they can, why can't Yamcha?

Tien
Best - 22nd Tournament Arc: great fight scenes with Tien as he grew from villain to "good guy".
Worst - TOP Arc: he was basically only filler.

Master Roshi
Best - Tournament Arc: his motivation to join the Tournament wasn't selfish, he just wanted Goku and Krillin to keep motivated. Great storytelling and he shone as a fighter.
Worst - U6: he didn't do anything usefull except for the sake of "being around"and "watching the Tournament".

Chiaotzu
Best -Saiyan Arc: epic scene when he sacrified himelf against Napa. A small guy with great courage.
Worst - Universe 6 Arc: only a background figure.

Future Trunks
Best - Android Arc: as if only for the scene with Freeza and King Cold, timeless Dragon Ball and o so Trunks.
Worst - Future Trunks: he has epic moments, but he was generally too op and plot protected, his massive power-ups and use of the Genki-Dama sword wasn't explained at all.

Present Trunks and Goten
Best - World Tournament, great stuff when he and Goten still were seperate individuals and not just Gotenks.
Worst - Battle of Gods: destined to become Gotenks forever?

Yajirobe
Best - King Piccolo and Saiyan Arc: he really had a "role" in those arcs.
Worst - All other arcs: He really didn't have big significance.

Majin Buu
Best -Buu Arc: great stuff in interaction with other characters, definetely Mr. Satan.
Worst - All of Super: does not have any relevance.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sat May 11, 2019 2:26 pm

Goku
Best: Namek arc.

Vegeta

Bulma
Worst: Buu arc arc

Gohan

Piccolo

Freeza
Best: Namek arc

Future Trunks
Worst: Black arc (manga only)

Android 17
Best: ToP arc (anime only)

Android 18

Goten
Best: Baby arc

Krillin
Best: 21st TB arc

Tien
Best: 22nd TB arc
Worst: ToP arc (both versions)

Present Trunks
Best: Majin Buu arc

Beerus
Best: Battle of Gods arc
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

KuririnNoKotoKa

Post by KuririnNoKotoKa » Sun May 12, 2019 10:25 pm

Lets see...

Son Goku
Best - Majin Boo arc: Goku's wild here. Yeah, some inconsistencies and retcons fly around, but the character beats are so good. And the epilogue. Holy shit, what an ending.
Worst - Cell arc: There is just nothing particularly interesting going on with it until the final bits of the arc, which are more so credited to the Boo arc than anything.

Vegeta
Best - Freeza arc: Fun smug bastard. Strong character moments by the end too.
Worst - Cell arc: It's all fine. Just kind of dull. It sure is Vegeta Vegetaing a whole lot in this.

Son Gohan
Best - Boo arc: Gohan finally becomes his own character here. Yeah, he is thrown aside with next to no elegance, but hardly a big deal.
Worst - Freeza arc: Boring. He is a brute with repeated story beats of the Saiyan arc.

Piccolo
Best - 23rd Budokai arc: Piccolo just a joy to here. He is a simpler character than his future self would become, but it's just incredibly exciting to see him play off Goku.
Worst - Freeza arc: It's just a whole bunch of nothing.

Kuririn
Best - 21st Budokai arc: He softens up quite a bit from being around with Goku, and seeing their friendship grow from mutual enjoyment of martial arts is great.
Worst - 23rd Budokai arc: Very dishonest character beats.

Bulma
Best - Hunt for the Dragon Balls arc: She is just overall a fun character here and carries the story really well.
Worst - Freeza arc: She is a pilot. Wastes space otherwise.

Gokitalo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gokitalo » Wed May 15, 2019 6:48 pm

I think I'm going to break the format here and pick a single character: Bulma. My favorite arc for her was the Android/Cell arc, since that's where we really got to see her shine as a brilliant and competent scientist. It really shaped her portrayal in Dragon Ball Super, which is the series that I feel has most consistently done her justice. She's played a prominent role in both the manga and anime versions of Super, and you can tell the anime staff really enjoys writing for her.

Her weakest arc was probably the Freeza Saga, I'm sorry to say, since it's otherwise a great arc. Her role in that story is to basically freak out and hide in a cave. I mean, I get that being on a planet undergoing invasion by evil and powerful planet traders would be scary for any normal human, but it's still a pity we didn't get too many moments in that storyline reminding us why Bulma's so great.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu May 16, 2019 8:58 am

Goku

Best - Saiyan arc. Tough choice between the RRA and Saiyan arcs, but I’ll go with the Saiyan arc because it was a major changing point for him. And while it wasn’t the first time he’s made a selfish decision, sparing Vegeta is probably his most notable one. Character defining moment.

Worst - Future Trunks arc. I don’t hate Goku in any arc, but the dumb writing with the Senzu, Mafuba, and punching up some of his goofy characteristics a little too much make this his worst arc as a character.

Vegeta

Best - Freeza arc. I really wanted to say Buu arc, but he’s dead for like 60% of that one so I chose the Freeza arc instead. Still has great moments and is around longer. Funny how his two best arcs are ones he dies in.

Worst - Universe Survival arc. I’ve been bitching about Vegeta in this arc for a while and I absolutely hate how he’s portrayed here for 90% of it. It’s Cell arc Vegeta without the logical reasoning behind it.

Gohan

Best - Buu arc. Everyone’s said it, but this is when he starts to become more well rounded as a character.

Worst - Resurrection F arc. No, not because he didn’t train, but because of how they handled it. It’s just not one of his finest moments.

Piccolo

Best - Saiyan arc. It would almost be a crime if I didn’t put this arc down as his best. We all already know why.

Worst - Resurrection F. Same with Gohan, it wasn’t his finest moment.

Bulma

Best - Hunt for the Dragon Balls arc. It was either this or the Cell arc, and I chose this because she had a more prominent role in it.

Worst - Freeza arc. She literally did nothing for 99% of it.

Kuririn

Best - 21st Tenkaichi Budokai arc. He went from being a little shit to a great friend for Goku. Lots of great comedic moments.

Worst - Honestly, I don’t know. If I HAD to choose one, I’d pick the RRA arc since it was coming off the 21st Budokai, and he didn’t really have the best showings in fights.

Muten Roshi

Best - 21st Tenkaichi Budokai arc. I wanted to put 22nd, but he’s more important here. Lot’s of the series themes are formed in this arc and Roshi is responsible for a lot of it.

Worst - Universe Survival arc. Out of all the arcs he is relevant in, this is the worst. I liked his tournament episodes fine, especially the Frost one, but the rapey jokes in the recruitment isn’t a great look.

Yamcha

Best - Hunt for the Dragon Balls arc. His intro arc is his best. Great moments all around, and he gets over his fear of girls at the end.

Worst - Universe Survival arc. I know he doesn’t do anything in this, but he turns into a literal joke for a whole arc, something that wasn’t done before with him.

Tenshinhan

Best - 22nd Tenkaichi Budokai - Easy choice, nothing else comes close.

Worst - Universe Survival arc. Look, I don’t hate this arc, but some characters are just straight up bad here. Tenshinhan might be the worst off from all of them, which is saying something.

Freeza

Best - Freeza arc. It has to be acknowledged now. Freeza is part of the main cast. And even though he’s been in multiple arcs, his intro arc is still his best. Watching him go from a calm and confident monster to an almost dead, cut in half coward begging for his life makes for one of the best villain arcs in all of DB.

Worst - Super 17 arc. You thought I would forget this shit? No, I didn’t.

Mr. Satan

Best - Majin Buu arc. One of the best characters in this arc. The more I think about it, the more I like his role here. Funny moments, actually great development with Buu, and helping with the ending Genki Dama are all fantastic.

Worst - Cell arc. He does his role fine, but isn’t as lovable as he is in future arcs.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Thu May 16, 2019 10:22 am

Son Goku:
  • Best: Late Saiyan arc and Namek/Freeza arc. I think Goku learning about his ancestry and progressively aknowledging and coming to terms with it, which changes his character a bit and culminates with achieving the super saiyan form is probably at the top.
  • Worst: arguably the Hunt for the Dragon Balls arc. It's hard for me to point a finger at GT or Super because I don't remember much from the first and the second had Goku written differently within the same arcs; in DB however, I agree he wasn't interesting in the very first arc.
Vegeta:
  • Best: Namek/Freeza arc. It was probably the period where the most interesting side of him is shown, and I gamble on saying most people who don't care about Vegeta generally actually like him during this arc. Majin Boo arc is a close second.
  • Worst: probably Super 17 arc in GT. I don't remember him having a noteworthy moment.
Piccolo:
  • Best: 23rd Tenka'ichi Budoukai. I was tempted to say Namek or Artificial Humans arcs, but in either of them from getting in touch with his ancestry to fusing with Kami, coming full circle with his character, actually amounted to nothing, which is sad. At this arc, he attempts revenge on Goku and nearly succeded, hinting already differences with his previous incarnation.
  • Worst: DBSuper's Revival of F. Had nothing to show for and got his butt handed constantly, when he and Gohan should be the top fighters available to protect the Earth at the time (excluding Gotenks and Boo for no reason).
Son Gohan:
  • Best: early Majin Boo arc.
    KuririnNoKotoKa wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:25 pmBest - Boo arc: Gohan finally becomes his own character here. Yeah, he is thrown aside with next to no elegance, but hardly a big deal.
    Couldn't agree more. Although Saiyan arc comes pretty close.
  • Worst: Definitly Revival of F. Alongside of Piccolo, disappointing and regressive.
Bulma:
  • Best: probably Hunt for the Dragon Balls arc. However she did well in the Red Ribbon Army arc until... her drone was destroyed when Goku arrived to the RRA HQ. In the Artificial Humans arc she could have gotten a better spotlight but ended up without doing much. In the very first arc she was practically the main character.
  • Worst: aside from the tournament arcs which she understandably has nothing to add, probaly Majin Boo arc...? Possibly the arc she contributed less.
Krillin:
  • Best: Saiyan arc. The 23rd tournament comes close becase it was where he stood out as a martial artist, but the next arc he was confronted with a deadly battle against dangerous enemies and held his own pretty well.
  • Worst: I'm biased between Majin Boo and Revival of F arcs. He doesn't do much in the first but he does have a few shining moments (in the tournament specifically); in the second, while aside from beating the soldiers and not being expected to do much, it was harmful for his character to be afraid of fighting enemies which he far outclassed.
Muten Roshi:
  • Best: 22nd Tenka'ichi Budoukai. Not only he asserts his role as a mentor as also assists on developing new characters. The tournament of Power arc comes close but the exaggerated portrayal of his pervyness was terrible for him.
  • Worst: Probably Majin Boo arc. He barely did anything other than being perverted at the most inconvenient moments.
Yamcha:
  • Best: Perhaps the 22nd Tenka'ichi Budoukai. He trains with Muten Roshi and easily advances through the tournament until he's beaten by Tenshinhan, after putting up a good fight. He even gets his own theme song!
  • Worst: Artificial Humans arc. His character was butchered and tossed into the background. In the Tournament of Power his character was also poorly portrayed, I'd say he even acted out of character and turned into nothing more than a sad joke (just like in the majority of Super).
Tenshinhan:
  • Best: 22nd Tenka'ichi Budoukai. Not only he becomes the champion after a very tough fight with Goku, he also grew as a character.
  • Worst: hard to say, possibly the Tournament of Power. In the recruitment episodes he was not impressive at all (and it was Muten Roshi instead that drew most of the atention) and expected more of him in the tournament itself.
Chaozu:
  • Best: possibly the 22nd Tenka'ichi Budoukai. His mysterious appearance and powers worked well and actually made him interesting, even though he deserved the same care as Tenshinhan when turning on their master.
  • Worst: likely the Piccolo Daimao arc. He barely did anything of note and died prematurely for no important reason.
Honorable mentions for Yajirobe who did great in the saiyan arc but barely mattered in the 23rd tournament, and android 18 who did good at the Tournament of Power arc, but I'd say her absence in RoF was unexplainable.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.