Blue Water Dub Question

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Blue Water Dub Question

Post by Mosaic » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:08 am

How exactly did they censor the scene where Kuririn pulls down Bulma's top, prompting Muten Roshi to nosebleed all over the invisible man? For some reason I can't find this episode online anywhere, and I'm curious to know how they handled it.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Re: Blue Water Dub Question

Post by TheQuazz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:22 am

No idea since like you I've only seen the BW dub from online downloads and like you said it isn't included in any collection of rips (it kinda makes you think that maybe this episode didn't even air at all, based on the content...??? UK/Canadian fans with good memory help us out here pls). If it did air though (which it most likely did), based off of the edited Funimation dub I'd say they did the whole "tomato soup" thing. Krillin asks one the characters to get him some tomato soup, then it cuts to the Invisible Man getting drenched in red, and that's that. I don't see how they could have done it any other way, especially since they were still borrowing Funi's scripts by this point in the series.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:55 am

TheQuazz wrote:No idea since like you I've only seen the BW dub from online downloads and like you said it isn't included in any collection of rips (it kinda makes you think that maybe this episode didn't even air at all, based on the content...??? UK/Canadian fans with good memory help us out here pls).
YTV aired episode 71, "The Deadly and Bloody Battle!" on October 6, 2004.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:30 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
TheQuazz wrote:No idea since like you I've only seen the BW dub from online downloads and like you said it isn't included in any collection of rips (it kinda makes you think that maybe this episode didn't even air at all, based on the content...??? UK/Canadian fans with good memory help us out here pls).
YTV aired episode 71, "The Deadly and Bloody Battle!" on October 6, 2004.
Thanks for the confirmation. Also, that title really throws a wrench in my theory of them using Funimation's edit... Drat. Sorry for the garbage post guys.
Last edited by TheQuazz on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:25 am

Mosaic wrote:How exactly did they censor the scene where Kuririn pulls down Bulma's top, prompting Muten Roshi to nosebleed all over the invisible man? For some reason I can't find this episode online anywhere, and I'm curious to know how they handled it.
If I remember right it aired uncut on Toonami UK. Its been over a decade since I've seen that dub though, so I couldn't say 100% but I'm pretty sure.

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:19 pm

90sDBZ wrote:If I remember right it aired uncut on Toonami UK. Its been over a decade since I've seen that dub though, so I couldn't say 100% but I'm pretty sure.
That doesn't sound right, since the Blue Water dub was definitely edited. They did things like cut out Kuririn's dirty magazines, and paint underwear on Goku.

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:23 pm

I'm going off somewhat vague memories here but I recall having to stay up late to watch this episode when it aired on YTV (missed the EST broadcast so had to catch it on the YTV-West channel 3 hours later). Anyway, I was also super curious how it would be handled since I already knew what happened. I think it was just a couple really awkward cuts, combined with the screen freezing just as Krillin was running up behind Bulma, with the audio continuing, and then it played as normal after the Invisible Man was already covered in blood.

That might not be exactly how it went, but that's more or less how I remember it. A very similar edit happened with the "no balls" stuff in Episode 2; it was cut down so heavily as to be nonsensical.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:35 pm

Mosaic wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:If I remember right it aired uncut on Toonami UK. Its been over a decade since I've seen that dub though, so I couldn't say 100% but I'm pretty sure.
That doesn't sound right, since the Blue Water dub was definitely edited. They did things like cut out Kuririn's dirty magazines, and paint underwear on Goku.
It was surprising how much they left in at times, like how they aired Goku's fight with Piccolo Jr fully uncut with all the blood and stomping there in full.

But now that I think a bit harder I think the part were Krillin does the deed was removed so you see the aftermath and fill in the blanks yourself. So yeah I think you're right there and it was cut and I remembered it wrong. To be fair OG DB wasn't repeated much on Toonami UK after its initial broadcast, so it's easy to forget stuff like this.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:42 pm

I don't know the answer to Mosaic's question, but I have a suggestion. The Blue Water dub used the French dub's audio and video materials. This is evidenced by, among other things, the identical openings of the French and Blue Water dubs, and the fact that Blue Water never bothered to pitch-correct their audio masters when they converted the PAL video back to NTSC. I can't say for sure if they also used the French dub's scripts as the basis of their scripts like the Big Green dub did, but it's possible. In any event, if the French dub censored the scene, that automatically means it was censored in the Blue Water dub as well considering they were using the same video sources.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:26 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I don't know the answer to Mosaic's question, but I have a suggestion. The Blue Water dub used the French dub's audio and video materials. This is evidenced by, among other things, the identical openings of the French and Blue Water dubs, and the fact that Blue Water never bothered to pitch-correct their audio masters when they converted the PAL video back to NTSC. I can't say for sure if they also used the French dub's scripts as the basis of their scripts like the Big Green dub did, but it's possible. In any event, if the French dub censored the scene, that automatically means it was censored in the Blue Water dub as well considering they were using the same video sources.
Indeed.

The user Danfun64 and I have spent some time comparing the Blue Water DB dub to Funi's and the original Japanese, and I personally have made many observations at Blue Water's dub of GT. All evidence points to both Blue Water dubs using the French masters, and only making the most minimal of edits on top of that.

However, the pre-GT French dub -- GT was always uncut -- is inconsistently censored across airings, so you're going to have a bugger of a time ascertaining a definitive sense of what was and wasn't cut in the French masters. But generally, if something tended to be censored in France, it will have been censored in Blue Water's dub.
But, 90sDBZ says it aired uncut. So, it's possible Blue Water's copy of this episode included the scene as-is.

Unless someone comes forward with a copy of this episode -- and I do encourage anyone with any recordings of the Blue Water or Westwood dubs(Or even Big Green, from UK TV) to come forward and PM me :) -- it's impossible to know, sadly.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:01 am

I watched it when it aired at the time. The nosebleed was uncut. The Krillin/Bulma part was edited.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:26 am

Robo4900 wrote:But, 90sDBZ says it aired uncut. So, it's possible Blue Water's copy of this episode included the scene as-is.
I thought I remembered it being uncut but said in my later post that I probably remembered it wrong. The more and more I think about it the more I think it actually was edited with a few seconds being cut, so yeah sorry for the confusion. :)
TVfan721 wrote:I watched it when it aired at the time. The nosebleed was uncut. The Krillin/Bulma part was edited.
Yeah that's it I'm pretty sure this is how it was. I must have remembered the nosebleed part being left in and forgotten that the Krillin/Bulma part was cut.

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:57 am

TVfan721 wrote:I watched it when it aired at the time. The nosebleed was uncut. The Krillin/Bulma part was edited.
So how exactly did they explain the nosebleed? He just shows up and squirts out a nose bleed...?

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:35 am

I watched when it originally aired in Ireland on toonami. I for some reason remember them saying something about ketchup? Now I could be remembering wrong or someone in the same room as me could have mentioned ketchup :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Gdugz wrote:I watched when it originally aired in Ireland on toonami. I for some reason remember them saying something about ketchup? Now I could be remembering wrong or someone in the same room as me could have mentioned ketchup :lol:
I've heard the way Funimation's dub handled this scene was that they said Bulma brought some ketchup or tomato juice or something and spilled that over the invisible man. So, you may be thinking of that.

In my experience, while Blue Water seem to have referenced Funi's scripts for writing their scripts for DB, nonsense like this was usually replaced with something more sensible, or translated more closely from the original Japanese.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:35 pm

In the edited Funimation dub, Krillin asks Goku to bring Master Roshi with a can of tomato soup (they never explain why Bulma came along too). The scene where Krillin pulls down Bulma's top is replaced with a shot of Roshi opening up a beer can (edited to look like a can of tomato soup).

Of course the uncut English dub leaves the scene as is.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:03 am

Mosaic wrote:
So how exactly did they explain the nosebleed? He just shows up and squirts out a nose bleed...?
I don't remember what but I know there was something that caused the nosebleed. I do think the Bulma/Krillin thing was shown in some form.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:25 am

If Blue Water just cut the boobs shot, it sounds similar to how the Mexican dub edited the scene.

DBGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBGod » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:37 pm

I own the entirety of the Blue Water dub, in Hi-Fi Stereo nonetheless recorded from YTV. I can check at some point and confirm this as I can't recall on the top of my head if this was censored, but I believe it was.
If you have any English recorded material and would like to put it to good use, please PM me!
"He's strong, oh he's strong alright. This is not good, hmmm...."

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:45 am

DBGod wrote:I own the entirety of the Blue Water dub, in Hi-Fi Stereo nonetheless recorded from YTV. I can check at some point and confirm this as I can't recall on the top of my head if this was censored, but I believe it was.
That would be awesome, thank you!