Dub Changes That Don't Bother You...that much

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dub Changes That Don't Bother You...that much

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:35 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Over 9000 is the 90s equivalent to The Cake Was a Lie. Not that funny to begin with, and was within a week overused to death.
Over 9000 didn't take off as a meme until 2006. Anytime prior to that point, much less back in the 90s, if you randomly said "Its Over 9000!!" to anyone - even to a die-hard anime Otaku - they'd most likely look at you like you were a complete mental patient. Rightly so.
Should have stuck with my original "DBZ equivalent" wording, haha.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:44 am

Also, despite being wholly unsurprising, this is still fucking depressing as hell.

http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:27 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:in fairness, internet culture and memes as whole from that age, doesn't hold up well and a lot of that stuff was pretty hit and miss with how funny it was. i won't lie i do kinda miss the simplicity of it though.
You're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that Over 9000 was a case of "This was funny at one point long ago in a more innocent time, but just doesn't hold up these days." I'm saying that it was NEVER funny and was ALWAYS completely brain dead, even back then when it first became a thing, and people were always being ridiculously stupid for even making it into a thing in the first place.
oh hahaha yea i never found it really funny either, just kinda interesting about how people view memes and that sorta stuff.
And honestly, roughly 80 to 90% of damn nearly ALL internet memes are similarly idiotic inherently, and guaranteed most all of the big ones of today will likely seem just as stupid and unfunny ten years from now as those from circa 2006 might seem to some folks today: and that's because most of them are innately stupid and unfunny to begin with, particularly a lot of the most widespread ones.
I'm hyped to see all this doggo, pupper, etc stuff to be viewed like how Can I Haz Cheeseburgers is now lmao.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:40 am

Not only was the It’s over 9000 line never funny it just got embarassing when certain companies were using it well past its expiration date

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:04 am

Not a "dub" change exactly but I always liked Piccolo's quasi-Shakesperean dialogue he uses for a time in the Viz translation.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:36 pm

When it came to over 9000 I felt bad for Chris Sabat. People CONSTANTLY asked him to do it and after a while you could see how sick of it he was. Weird part is that the meme was majority used with the ocean dub voices.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:02 am

Fionordequester wrote:Bardock becoming more of a good guy in the Bardock movie. Because NOW, that's pretty much what Toriyama's made him, anyway :lol: .
Eh... I would've accepted it better if they used his final words to Freeza from the Kai dub's first episode. Otherwise, Sonny Strait makes it work for all its worth.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:44 am Also, despite being wholly unsurprising, this is still fucking depressing as hell.

Ah, let people have their own stupid fun. If they think the meme is funny, fine by me. Who are we to dictate somebody's tastes?

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:37 pm

I prefer the cheesy move names personally

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:09 am

Tao Pai Pai being called Mercenary Tao never bothered me it just kinda ruined the name scheme of the Red Ribbon Army but then again he never was a member.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:51 am

Mr.Poot wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:09 am Tao Pai Pai being called Mercenary Tao never bothered me it just kinda ruined the name scheme of the Red Ribbon Army but then again he never was a member.
I didn't mind "Mercenary Tao," but later on you had stuff calling him "general," which was pretty weird.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:00 am

In the latest Super episode, they changed the dialogue that sort of implied Roshi was going to rape Caway (or at least that she was afraid that he would). That was probably a good idea.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:04 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:00 am In the latest Super episode, they changed the dialogue that sort of implied Roshi was going to rape Caway (or at least that she was afraid that he would). That was probably a good idea.
Agreed. I'm normally all for "keep it as accurate as possible", but in this case I throw it in the same bucket as Pan's "Girls are stronger when they cry!" line GT, Oolong all but saying he'll rape Bulma in the Double Decker Capsule Bus, and General Blue saying that Obotchaman is "his type" before leaning in for a kiss.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:51 am
Mr.Poot wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:09 am Tao Pai Pai being called Mercenary Tao never bothered me it just kinda ruined the name scheme of the Red Ribbon Army but then again he never was a member.
I didn't mind "Mercenary Tao," but later on you had stuff calling him "general," which was pretty weird.
The "General Tao" name actually predates the "Mercenary Tao" name, it comes from the Harmony Gold dubbed version of Mystical Adventure. FUNimation used this name in its Cell saga before dubbing the DB series.

The only reason FUNimation's Tao has a title at all is probably because of the Harmony Gold name. I doubt they would have given him the "Mercenary" name without it.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:01 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:54 pm
The "General Tao" name actually predates the "Mercenary Tao" name, it comes from the Harmony Gold dubbed version of Mystical Adventure. FUNimation used this name in its Cell saga before dubbing the DB series.

The only reason FUNimation's Tao has a title at all is probably because of the Harmony Gold name. I doubt they would have given him the "Mercenary" name without it.
Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Still weird, though. Unless he was actually part of the RRA in Mystical Adventure? I haven't seen the DB movies.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:02 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:54 pm The only reason FUNimation's Tao has a title at all is probably because of the Harmony Gold name. I doubt they would have given him the "Mercenary" name without it.
That and Tao Pai-Pai sounds too foreign. Can't have that in the dub of a show inspired by Journey to the West!

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:01 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Still weird, though. Unless he was actually part of the RRA in Mystical Adventure? I haven't seen the DB movies.
He's part of the Mifan Empire's army in Mystical Adventure, so it actually made sense to give him the general name there. Funi dubbed the movie around the same time as the Cell arc, so I'd imagine that's where the confusion came from.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:20 pm

If I recall, there was one point in the dub of GT where it seemed like the writers tried to make Baby come across as a well intentioned extremist (or at least someone who pretended to be) by having him justify his mind control with the argument that he was eliminating things like war and conflict. That change didn’t especially bother me, although it didn’t mesh especially well with the fact that Baby was willing to kills his followers just to test his power. Then again, I guess you could make the argument that it emphasized his hypocrisy.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:24 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:20 pm If I recall, there was one point in the dub of GT where it seemed like the writers tried to make Baby come across as a well intentioned extremist (or at least someone who pretended to be) by having him justify his mind control with the argument that he was eliminating things like war and conflict. That change didn’t especially bother me, although it didn’t mesh especially well with the fact that Baby was willing to kills his followers just to test his power. Then again, I guess you could make the argument that it emphasized his hypocrisy.
This is the stance that I took. Baby's character overall is that of a massive, MASSIVE hypocrite, someone who maybe on some level is trying to avenge the Tsufruians, but is ultimately using that as an excuse to enact his revenge and power by any means nessecary. Makes him unique as far as DB villains go.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:47 pm

Okay, as someone who absolutely prefers watching the Japanese version not just because that's how I usually watch anime but also because of the excessive amount of unnecessary changes made in the DB dub I will admit that they did make one change that not only didn't bother me but that I wholeheartedly support. I actually appreciate that Mr. Popo does not speak in a broken dialect like he does in that Japanese version. His appearance is troublesome enough (though I don't think that justifies censorship) but I think having him speak broken English in the dub would have just made the situation worse.