Would you like to see the Dragon Ball Franchise on Netflix, (Even if it was redubbed)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you like to see the Dragon Ball Franchise on Netflix, (Even if it was redubbed)

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:11 pm

Onikage725 wrote:. The dub narrators have always been...remember when it was Ginyu for some reason?
Twice it was Captain Ginyu kinda. Dale Kelly was the first narrator for Funimation’s original in house Z dub up until whenever Kyle Hebert took over (around the Android saga?) and then Kyle Hebert ended up replacing all of Kelly’s dialog on the narrator for the remastered dub.

THEN Brice Armstrong who was the narrator for Dragon Ball (but sadly not Z) voiced Ginyu for the 2005 in-house redub of season 2 and the 2007 quasi rerecording of season 3

. Which was itself an attempt to step away from the nasally Drummond impression he started with (since the redub on the bricks, many forget this).
Weirdly enough Sabat appeared to stop rerecording his dialog after Garlic Jr so the Android and Cell sagas still has him sounding Brian Drummond esque. He didn’t appear to get his “iconic” Vegeta voice until Buu and didn’t master it until Kai

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: Would you like to see the Dragon Ball Franchise on Netflix, (Even if it was redubbed)

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:14 pm

Majin Buu wrote:Exactly. Natural is when it sounds like the actor isn't trying to act and is just speaking/emoting normally, even when the voice in question isn't a normal voice.

Forced is when the performance sounds off because the actor is noticeably trying too hard to get the desired effect across.
This sums up my whole overall point pretty much perfectly.

Let me clarify a few things here about what I was talking about earlier:

Are there some (some) members of the Japanese cast who put on a "cartoon-ish" affectation in their voice for certain characters? Absolutely. Pilaf is my usual go-to example, but Fat Majin Buu is indeed another one. Is it however a majority or even a lot of them who put their voices into an over-the-top cartoon-ish mode? No way. Absolutely not: we're talking about a handful of noteworthy examples there (that certainly stick out all the more so due to how rare it is among the majority of the Japanese cast). What the overwhelming majority of the Japanese cast members do, more often than not, is simply adjust their vocal register slightly, but otherwise speak in a normal, organic manner.

Nozawa's Goku voice for example is EXTREMELY close to just her regular everyday speaking voice: she just pitches it slightly higher. That's basically it. She isn't "transforming" her voice all that radically: she simply adjusts her pitch slightly, but otherwise just speaks naturally and organically into the microphone, allowing her to actually, y'know, act instead of putting such a ridiculous amount of effort into "maintaining" some kind of absurd vocal gymnastics she'd otherwise be needlessly putting herself through.

Schemmel can claim he's doing the same thing (using his normal voice but pitched higher) all day long all he likes, but the thing is that's only actually true SOME of the time. When Goku is in a normal, casual speaking scene, Schemmel has only gotten to a point where he's "naturalized" his speaking style for it STUPIDLY recently (relative to his whole history with the character). We're talking from around maybe Kai and onward. Anytime prior to Kai (be it Z, video games, whatever) his "casual speaking" Goku voice was a MUCH more "forced" affectation, along the lines of "this is me doing my over-the-top-macho-superhero-manly voice".

From around Kai onward, he's dropped that level of forced affectation for casual speaking scenes... but ONLY then. The thing is, Goku is a martial arts character in a martial arts show: so he spends a LOT of his screentime fighting and otherwise speaking in a heightened emotional state. For fight scenes, or any scene where Goku is enraged or otherwise in emotional turmoil of some kind... schemmel defaults back to his "this is my over-the-top-cartoon-superhero" voice, and it renders almost completely moot the otherwise largely serviceable performance he's more recently managed only in the more low key "casual" scenes.

Awhile back someone asked me to basically dissect a scene of Schemmel's acting in Kai to illustrate what I was talking about, and it ended up being the scene where Goku goes SSJ for the first time against Freeza. This is in KAI mind you, the one where Schemmel has "evolved into a phenomenal Goku" according to most dub fans. In the original, Nozawa plays this scene VERY low key for the most part right up until the very end. She chokes back sobs, her breathing is heavy... but she isn't going batshit over the top making absurd noises to show how ENRAGED she is. That's precisely however what SCHEMMEL is doing: I cued up the Kai clip with ZERO expectations. I made sure to take on the mindset that I was going in with absolutely none of whatever baggage I have from the old Z sub, thinking I was in for something that was radically different.

What I heard was Schemmel basically sounding like he was tweaking on meth the whole time: it caused me to genuinely, involuntarily laugh out loud. This is supposed to be for one of Goku's most pivotal emotional scenes and a massive turning point in the whole DB series... and with Nozawa, you're totally invested in the moment because she sounds genuinely in emotional anguish over Goku's dead friend. With Schemmel though,unless he's doing a scene of Goku just hanging out around his friends casually at a Capsule Corp barbecue or something along those lines (and even that's only a relatively recent development for him), the guy is seemingly fundamentally incapable of playing Goku without putting his voice through an absurd ringer of weird, ridiculous noises and vocal spasms.

He doesn't sound like he's in any kind of genuine emotional stress during that SSJ transformation scene, or any other such scene that required any kind of emotion that's even remotely heightened beyond "casually hanging out with friends": he sounds like he's completely spazzing out on a caffeine bender, and its fundamentally laugh-out-loud ridiculous and IMPOSSIBLE to get invested in ANY such scene that he's in because of it. And in a martial arts fighting show, that's a LOT of scenes. To say nothing of his actual "fighting" noises, which are similarly silly and stupid-sounding to listen to, even to this very day. And in a show like DB/Z, you're going to have to hear Schemmel's ridiculous "fighting" noises an awful, awful LOT of the time.

Nozawa may be a woman who plays Goku with a high vocal register: but she's absolutely and totally capable of totally natural, un-forced line delivery in it. Even during fight scenes, she isn't "GRRRRRRRUNTING AND STRAINING" like she's having digestive issues... she knows how to smoothly and organically deliver a "martial arts kiai" which no, isn't just spastically yelling and grunting randomly.

In other words: sometimes "less is more", rather than constantly always going balls-out over the top in every scene: that's what I meant earlier by "emotional subtlety". It doesn't mean that these characters are portrayed as densely layered straight out of Tennessee Williams play: it means that by going with a more smooth, naturalistic acting-style, there's actually room within the performance to convey more subtle emotional cues - which thus, allows the character to come across as more three dimensional, and thus as more humanly relatable and easy to connect with - rather than constantly hamfistedly blaring out everything at an 11 or more, which is just obnoxious and irritating and tarnishes the whole thing into straight up unwatchability.

When I say that the FUNimation (and Ocean) voices are doing "over-the-top cartoon character voices" I'm not saying that simply because they're altering their voices, nor am I saying that any voice actor who alters their voice to ANY degree (even simple pitch adjustment) is inherently guilty of doing a ridiculous cartoon affectation. That's obviously not true and would be absurd to suggest. I'm saying it rather because of the degree to which the FUNimation actors (and many of the Ocean actors) alter their voices. There's a HUGE difference between "modulating one's tone and pitch slightly to sound like a different person when speaking" and "putting one's voice through some forced transformation that makes it so they have to always STRAIN very hard to maintain it".

The number of the Japanese VAs in DB who do the latter are EXCEEDINGLY few and far between: and even the ones that do it are generally MUCH better at it and more capable at maintaining the voice without STRAINING so hard and thus sacrificing tremendous degrees of naturalism in their delivery. 95% of them though simply just slightly adjust their pitch or modulate their tone somewhat: but otherwise, they're simply just speaking organically and smoothly into the mic in a slight variation or spin of what's otherwise just their normal speaking voice, be it Furukawa's Piccolo, Horikawa's Vegeta, Nozawa's Goku, Furuya's Yamucha, Tanaka's Kuririn, Nakao's Freeza, Yanami's Kaio, etc.

Schemmel can claim that that's what he's doing with his Goku all he likes: but that's maybe only actually true in practice like, at best, maybe 25/30% of the time on average, and only from Kai onward.

And that's all just in how the actors SOUND in the roles vocally, without even getting into the - all kinds of wrong and cringe-worthy - ways in which they even just emote: Schemmel of course being notable for how he often plays up his Goku performance in a very overtly "superhero"-like delivery in most scenes (generally of the non-"hanging out with my friends" variety), as if he's basically Superman or Captain America in a dogi, which is fundamentally at odds with Goku's (and really, the entire story's) basic-most nature and conception, and is as much a dramatic creative revision that undermines the character as any script rewrite.

And finally... the whole thing about "why do you want these characters to sound like human beings when they're not TECHNICALLY ACTUALLY supposed to be human?" is about the most absurdly pedantic, obtusely over-literal interpretation of what I was trying to get across: made all the more worse by how many times Ireland kept repeatedly hammering on that point.

What I clearly and obviously meant by "these characters need to sound like believable human beings" was that they should come across as emotionally relatable. Dragon Ball may be an over the top silly and absurd martial arts fairy tale starring an assortment of aliens and demons that's culled largely from old Chinese myths (and some campy sci fi B movies mixed in for good measure)... but while much of it is indeed very overtly comedic, a lot of it is also very much dramatic and expects the viewer to take it at least SOMEWHAT seriously in those more dramatically intense moments.

Particularly in such dramatic moments, when characters react to things, you should be able to connect with it on an emotional level if the story is going to have any real weight or impact on the viewer. The more hamfisted and overly-on-the-nose-silly the reaction, the more of an invisible wall of separation there is between the viewer and the story being told that disconnects their emotional investment from it.

A great example is Chaozu's death against Nappa: in that scene in the original Japanese Z, Hirotaka Suzuoki plays that scene almost disturbingly grounded and real. He puts genuine anguish and gravitas into the moment, so that you're able on some level to get a sense of Tenshinhan's pain in a way that rings as dramatically honest. Yeah, if my lifelong best friend killed themselves right in front of me... that sounds like a rough approximation (more or less) of how I, or someone else in general, might sound in that horrible moment.

I'm certainly not saying its Oscar-caliber or rivaling Olivier, or anything of that sort at all: just that its a genuinely sincere, organic acting performance of a character in emotional pain over the sudden and violent loss of a friend, rather than a forced affectation of a caricature doing his "Rrrrrrrr, LOOK HOW SERIOUS I AM!!" voice. When that scene happens in Japanese, you actually feel something in no small part because of the earnestness and rawness of Suzuoki's performance. This is incredibly basic drama 101 stuff: if you want the audience to feel the dramatic weight of something, convey emotions that they can connect to something tangibly real or sincere.

Contrast that to ANY English version of that Tenshinhan scene where it falls completely and utterly hollow, because the actor playing Tenshinhan there (take your pick among all the English iterations) just isn't invested in the scene at all. They're not acting it as if they just saw someone they care about get killed like how Suzuoki plays it (which yeah, is pretty heavy for a kids' mystical Kung Fu cartoon: but that's the sort of "extra effort" that helps put DB in its Japanese form a step above your average such material): they're still acting in their "this-is-my-cartoon-character" voice.

They thus don't sound anything like anything that vaguely resembles the baseline human emotional reaction one might have in such a horrible moment: they still sound like a stereotypical kids cartoon superhero character, just saying "Oh no! Chaozu!" or whatever, while making absurd, ridiculous, and cringe-worthy "HHHHHGGGGGH!!!! ARAAAAAAWWWWWAAAAAAAHHH!!!!" noises in an attempt to convey "I'm upset" in a way that isn't at all how ANYONE actually conveys being upset: it ends up sounding like they just have a nasty bout of indigestion.

And once again, no: I'm not asking for Gary Oldman-caliber acting chops here or anything remotely close to that level. Not in the least bit. I'm asking for "Basic Fundamentals of Properly Conveying Drama 101" here: something that any average, generic TV-level actor can provide. I'm asking for the English VAs to stop playing these roles like they're knowingly and self-awarely in a bad kids' superhero cartoon, and instead play their roles like they're acting in a (silly and high concept, but still dramatically earnest) martial arts movie: because that's how the Japanese cast has always played these roles for the past 30+ years now. If they can do it, there's NOTHING stopping anyone else from doing likewise.

Central characters like Goku and Vegeta being alien were-apes from outer space has absolutely ZERO bearing on anything that I'm talking about with regards to fundamental basics of emotionally sincere and earnest acting and emoting: they still feel and express human emotions such as happiness, anger, sadness, boredom, puzzlement, etc. the same as any human character does. Countless actors have portrayed alien or otherwise non-human characters across a dizzying array of film and TV media and have managed to do so with NO problems whatsoever delivering a competent, emotionally believable and relatable performance. Parsing what I've been saying here in such a thuddingly hyper-literal way ("..but they're not supposed to be humans!") is ludicrous pedantry of the highest possible order.

Also, this problem with basic acting and emoting is one that goes across ALL characters anyway, including most of the humans: so even if one wants to make the (absurdly idiotic) argument that Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, etc. are all aliens and thus there's something specific about their extraterrestrial natures that justifies their being played acting-wise as strained and forced Saturday Morning Cartoon Superhero Caricatures with unnaturally stilted and growly delivery (despite that having NEVER been the case in the original): that excuse STILL doesn't fly with characters like Kuririn, Tenshinhan, Yamucha, Muten Roshi, etc. who all share that same exact issue despite being 100% Earth-born humans. So even on its own migraine-inducingly stupid terms, this argument STILL falls apart under its own logic.

Two of the relatively FEW original FUNimation cast members that this problem doesn't and has never affected are Chuck Huber and Meredith McCoy's 17 and 18, easily and unquestionably two of the best, most naturalistic performances across the entire dub. Not a high bar to clear by any means, but they both have managed to their credit. More performances along the same lines as THOSE across the core cast would've gone a LONG way toward salvaging the FUNi dub and making it at least halfway tolerable and listenable at a baremost minimum.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:41 pm

I'd say that Kara Edwards's Videl is also a very naturalistic performance as well.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:49 pm

During Goku's first SSJ transformation, Nozawa had him choking back sobs? How am I only now getting this?

I agree with most of Kunzait's comments (even if I still like Schemmel's performance while acknowledging his flaws) except for the "TV level" actor one. I also don't agree with his assessment of Huber. I would say Strait's performance, especially once he dropped the super high pitch, is very natural and a better example, whereas Huber strains to sound cool and dethatched.

Yes, I would like to see DB on Netflix or Hulu, especially if it was redubbed. I'm not about to buy another version of DB.
Last edited by ABED on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:59 pm

ABED wrote:During Goku's first SSJ transformation, Nozawa had him choking back sobs? How am I only now getting this?

I agree with most of Kunzait's comments (even if I still like Schemmel's performance while acknowledging his flaws) except for the "TV level" actor one. I also don't agree with his assessment of Huber. I would say Strait's performance, especially once he dropped the super high pitch, is very natural, whereas Huber strains to sound cool and dethatched.

Yes, I would like to see DB on Netflix or Hulu, especially if it was redubbed. I'm not about to buy another version of DB.
Huh, I thought you liked Huber's 17.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:05 pm

I don't recall saying I liked Huber's 17. I like McCoy's 18. She sounds remarkably like a girl I went to high school with.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:10 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I'd say that Kara Edwards's Videl is also a very naturalistic performance as well.
I would add whoever voices Agent Mai and the guy voicing Mercenary Tao to the list.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:04 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I'd say that Kara Edwards's Videl is also a very naturalistic performance as well.
I would add whoever voices Agent Mai and the guy voicing Mercenary Tao to the list.
I like Williams' Tao, but I haven't heard anyone talking like that.

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Apslup » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Yeah, since it will make the series more accessible to new fans since Netflix is one of the most popular streaming services in the World.

If Netflix were to do so, then they would probably pick to have Kai instead of Z since it's shorter and more accessible to new fans. I think it'll have both the Dub and the Sub since Netflix usually has the English and Japanese versions of their anime on the service.

I do also see them getting Super, but only if the series is popular amongst the Netflix users.

However, if Netflix decided to go with Z, they should have an uncropped version with the same level of quality to do Dragon Boxes (or Level Sets if possible) and to use the best quality audio they have access to (maybe they can finally put the OBA to use).

I know that Battle of Gods and Resurrection F are on Netflix in the UK, so I can see it happening if Netflix have some sort of distributing deal with Manga UK or Funimation.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Realistically speaking a complete redub with a brand new cast would not go over well. Fans are waaaaaay too attached to Sean Schemmel and Chris Sabat.

If I were Funimation (since they would be the ones handling it I imagine) I would redub Dragon Ball since it has a way less rapid nostalgic fanbase than Z.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:57 pm

A Netflix re-dub would illicit such a hysterical reaction that I kind of want to see it happen. I'm not sure I could suppress my laughter after reading a flood of fans demand the """""""""""original""""""""""" voice cast return.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:A Netflix re-dub would illicit such a hysterical reaction that I kind of want to see it happen. I'm not sure I could suppress my laughter after reading a flood of fans demand the """""""""""original""""""""""" voice cast return.
Right? I can only imagine

“We want want the original English cast back!”

Oh so you mean like Ian Corlett, Scott Mcneil, Brian Drummond, Saffron Henderson

“What? No we meant Sean Schemmel Chris Sabat Stephanie Nadolny, Tiffany Vollmer

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:A Netflix re-dub would illicit such a hysterical reaction that I kind of want to see it happen. I'm not sure I could suppress my laughter after reading a flood of fans demand the """""""""""original""""""""""" voice cast return.
Right? I can only imagine

“We want want the original English cast back!”

Oh so you mean like Ian Corlett, Scott Mcneil, Brian Drummond, Saffron Henderson

“What? No we meant Sean Schemmel Chris Sabat Stephanie Nadolny, Tiffany Vollmer
Those fans would have to realize that those two ladies wouldn't come back.

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:18 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote: Those fans would have to realize that those two ladies wouldn't come back.
Have you been on YouTube comments? They do NOT realize this lol
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:48 am

Honestly, I wouldn't want a redub of anything DB (not counting whatever decision Ocean makes AFTER their Kai 1.0 dub finally airs...or if the Bang Zoom dub of Super is uncanceled) until ALL known alternate English dubs have been released in their entirety. I would be ecstatic if Funi bought the rights of them and put them all on FunimationNow (from well known ones like Westwood Z, Blue Water DB and GT, and Big Green; to dubs known to exist but aren't available online like Harmony Gold's test dub of the first few DB episodes, the Fillipino English dubs of DB and Z, and the Animax dub of DB). Until every licensed alternate dub is accounted for, doing yet another dub wouldn't be wise.

Though if we're talking about a fresh dub, at this point I don't believe it will ever happen. A completely new dub that ignored the entirety of the English DB dubbing history in favor of doing as faithful and accurate a dub as possible would be a beautiful thing, but it would be so different from the vast majority of Funi's in-house dub (even to this day) that complaints would be inevitable.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:49 am

Kai was a good excuse to put in a more faithful rendition of the script, but for it to happen with OG Dragon Ball it would also need to get the Kai treatment, and with so much happening with Super I just can't see Toei bothering with it.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Even if Dragon Ball got the Kai treatment there’s no guarantee Funimation would treat it any better. Their redub of Curse of the Blood Rubies was largely just recycled from their 1995 dub which itself was recycled from the Harmony Gold dub.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:57 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Even if Dragon Ball got the Kai treatment there’s no guarantee Funimation would treat it any better. Their redub of Curse of the Blood Rubies was largely just recycled from their 1995 dub which itself was recycled from the Harmony Gold dub.
I think you mean the script specifically. Kai required a new script because it's quite different from Z due to the amount that's been removed or had to be reworded to fit the new context of filler not being present.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 pm

KBABZ wrote: I think you mean the script specifically. Kai required a new script because it's quite different from Z due to the amount that's been removed or had to be reworded to fit the new context of filler not being present.
No it didn’t. The Japanese Z and Kai scripts are nearly identical. Funimation could have very easily used their old Z scripts (which the first 67 episodes are already recycled from their 1996-1998 dub with Ocean) for Kai with minimal if any changes needed. They didn’t and stuck closer to the Japanese script because they wanted to get it right this time.

In a theoretical Kai edit of DB the Japanese script would be pretty much the same and given how little concern Funimation seems to have for original Dragon Ball just using their old scripts without the filler would be super easy and super likely.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:23 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
KBABZ wrote: I think you mean the script specifically. Kai required a new script because it's quite different from Z due to the amount that's been removed or had to be reworded to fit the new context of filler not being present.
No it didn’t. The Japanese Z and Kai scripts are nearly identical. Funimation could have very easily used their old Z scripts (which the first 67 episodes are already recycled from their 1996-1998 dub with Ocean) for Kai with minimal if any changes needed. They didn’t and stuck closer to the Japanese script because they wanted to get it right this time.

In a theoretical Kai edit of DB the Japanese script would be pretty much the same and given how little concern Funimation seems to have for original Dragon Ball just using their old scripts without the filler would be super easy and super likely.
It's been a while since I've seen Kai, but Robo told me that the scripts for Funimation Kai weren't that accurate.

He'll give examples.

I recall coming across a YouTube video that compared the confrontation scene between Piccolo and Kami from both the original and Kai versions. In the Kai version, he says this: "Let's just hope that when you come to your senses, there will still be a world for us to save." while in the Japanese version, he says: "Waiting for the irrevocable to happen and you finally make up your mind." The Kai line kinda throws me off for some reason.