Would you like to see the Dragon Ball Franchise on Netflix, (Even if it was redubbed)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you like to see the Dragon Ball Franchise on Netflix, (Even if it was redubbed)

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:20 pm

GT initially skipped the first saga for not being DBZ enough added a faux metal replacement score with a narrator who was even more srs bizness than Dale Kelly/Kelly Hebert. It’s as bad of a dub as Z if not worse because they should have known better by this point.

If their Z dub was diving into the deep end of the pool without knowing how to swim GT is ignoring everything you learned and doing it your way anyways.

Their Dragon Ball dub, at the very least, kept all the original music intact (aside from a few insert songs which might have been Toei’s fault) had an appropriate narrator (though some of the lines they made Brice Armstrong say were cringe as hell) and at least tried to maintain the tone and spirit of the Japanese show. But the added jokes (for a show that already has humor), sugarcoating racy material in their alleged uncut product, and just plain changing dialog because they felt like it, plus mixed quality of voice acting brings that dub down from a good dub to simply a meh dub.

And then you have Kai which tries to marry certain aspects of their Z dub with something closer to the Japanese original and it works mostly okay but you kind of wish Funimation would stop catering to the nostalgia of their Toonami fambase most of who have no interest ina Dragon Ball show without butt rock blaring out and everyone talking like the cost of cigarettes went down 90 percent at the gas station

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Would you like to see the Dragon Ball Franchise on Netflix, (Even if it was redubbed)

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:32 pm

If a dub can't even tell the story the show is suposed to be telling right, then the quality of the dialogue and acting doesn't really help, does it?
I don't agree fully. A good performance can make chicken salad out of chicken scratch or at the very least make it more pallatable.
Thing is, one can argue about individual pieces like the acting quality, but what matters is the overall product presented. And overall, Funi's GT just isn't a faithful or good representation of GT.
Well we diverge wildly on our assessment of Z. I can't enjoy it even in a so bad it's good way. It's awful. At the very least with GT, the cast has more experience.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Having watched GT with the subs on for the Review of Awesomeness, while the script often veers wildly from the original, there are moments where it's surprisingly on-point regarding Goku's love of fighting over being a good person.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:17 pm

ABED wrote:
If a dub can't even tell the story the show is suposed to be telling right, then the quality of the dialogue and acting doesn't really help, does it?
I don't agree fully. A good performance can make chicken salad out of chicken scratch or at the very least make it more pallatable.
Totally fair. Though, I think -- as I touched on before -- the overall picture Funi's GT gives us ends up being unpalletable overall. Admittedly there are a few good performances, but I think they're vastly overshadowed.
ABED wrote:
Thing is, one can argue about individual pieces like the acting quality, but what matters is the overall product presented. And overall, Funi's GT just isn't a faithful or good representation of GT.
Well we diverge wildly on our assessment of Z. I can't enjoy it even in a so bad it's good way. It's awful. At the very least with GT, the cast has more experience.
That's fair. My main thesis here isn't necessarily that I enjoy Funi Z -- I can put up with it as the fill-in guys for episodes 54-107 when Ocean were put on a bus for a while, but that's about as far as I go :lol: -- it's more that it does have some entertainment value, even if it doesn't appeal to me in that way, but GT meanwhile, I don't think it has even that value.
MasenkoHA wrote:Their Dragon Ball dub, at the very least, [...] had an appropriate narrator
Y'know, actually, for all the crap I give Funi's dubs, Brice Armstrong is one of the best English narrators the franchise has had. Much as I maintain Funi's DB dub is not as much of an improvement as a lot of people claim it is, Armstrong's narration is certainly a very strong saving grace. I just wish he'd been Funi's narrator in other media too. Original score + Armstrong narration would have probably done some good to their other work. If nothing else, he would have at least make those turds a little more shiny.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:01 am

Ugh, too much civil disagreement. Where's the drama?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:19 am

Would you like to see the Dragon Ball Franchise on Netflix, (Even if it was redubbed)

The title looks really odd with the comma unnecessarily added. The whole Even if it was redubbed is in parenthesis so the comma doesn't apply to it.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:18 am

Another major issue with the Funimation dub of GT is how they made Goku even more of a superhero than the dub of Z did. Oh, and Pan's voice is really annoying. At least Minaguchi is more tolerable.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:17 am

ABED wrote:During Goku's first SSJ transformation, Nozawa had him choking back sobs? How am I only now getting this?

I agree with most of Kunzait's comments (even if I still like Schemmel's performance while acknowledging his flaws) except for the "TV level" actor one. I also don't agree with his assessment of Huber. I would say Strait's performance, especially once he dropped the super high pitch, is very natural and a better example, whereas Huber strains to sound cool and dethatched.

Yes, I would like to see DB on Netflix or Hulu, especially if it was redubbed. I'm not about to buy another version of DB.
It was quite a shock when I listened to Dead Zone's commentary and discovered that Garlic Jr/Pilaf is closer to Huber's natural speaking voice than 17/Hiei
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:09 am

I have a feeling that Funimation wants as little to do with Netflix as possible for the foreseeable future.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:45 am

Kuwabara wrote:I have a feeling that Funimation wants as little to do with Netflix as possible for the foreseeable future.
They seem to have a better relationship with Hulu at least

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:59 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
ABED wrote:During Goku's first SSJ transformation, Nozawa had him choking back sobs? How am I only now getting this?

I agree with most of Kunzait's comments (even if I still like Schemmel's performance while acknowledging his flaws) except for the "TV level" actor one. I also don't agree with his assessment of Huber. I would say Strait's performance, especially once he dropped the super high pitch, is very natural and a better example, whereas Huber strains to sound cool and dethatched.

Yes, I would like to see DB on Netflix or Hulu, especially if it was redubbed. I'm not about to buy another version of DB.
It was quite a shock when I listened to Dead Zone's commentary and discovered that Garlic Jr/Pilaf is closer to Huber's natural speaking voice than 17/Hiei
Wait, seriously?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:35 am

ABED wrote:Ugh, too much civil disagreement. Where's the drama?
Are you reading the same thread as I am?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:02 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
ABED wrote:Ugh, too much civil disagreement. Where's the drama?
Are you reading the same thread as I am?
I was referring to my interactions with Robo. And yes, I have read this thread. The vast majority of disagreement is civil.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:36 pm

Kuwabara wrote:I have a feeling that Funimation wants as little to do with Netflix as possible for the foreseeable future.
I think the implication is that Funimation lose the rights to everything Dragon Ball and Netflix picks it up.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:32 pm

The Time Traveller wrote: I think the implication is that Funimation lose the rights to everything Dragon Ball and Netflix picks it up.
If that were to happen, it wouldn't appeal to me because I think Netflix is a really half assed, shitty commodification of media that should be shunned. I admit to enjoying some of the content they help produce, and gladly purchase it physically... But until Netflix is more comprehensive, I will never pay for it or take it seriously as a streaming platform.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:57 pm

Kuwabara wrote:If that were to happen, it wouldn't appeal to me because I think Netflix is a really half assed, shitty commodification of media that should be shunned. I admit to enjoying some of the content they help produce, and gladly purchase it physically... But until Netflix is more comprehensive, I will never pay for it or take it seriously as a streaming platform.
What does this even mean?

I would like it to be on an easy to use streaming platform that has more to it than anime, so I don't care if it's Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:18 am

ABED wrote:What does this even mean?

I would like it to be on an easy to use streaming platform that has more to it than anime, so I don't care if it's Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime.
What it means is that I don't like streaming platforms on a fundamental level. I'm not sure what you would like for me to clarify; I think the selection is really paltry, though Netflix has somehow done a great job of convincing general viewers otherwise.

In concept, I actually prefer specialized platforms like FunimationNow because it's focused on one medium and encompasses a lot of what Funimation has licensed, instead of trying to be a catch all for a dozen types of media. FilmStruck is another example of what I would consider a step in the right direction, it's a shame to hear that it's going away. Regrettably, FunimationNow actually has the opposite problem where the UI and even playback leaves a lot to be desired compared to Netflix. Can't win for losing... :yawn:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:11 am

Kuwabara wrote:What it means is that I don't like streaming platforms on a fundamental level. I'm not sure what you would like for me to clarify; I think the selection is really paltry, though Netflix has somehow done a great job of convincing general viewers otherwise.
What's wrong with streaming? For the price, you get a bigger selection and a FAR better deal than you would ever got at video stores. It may not have a selection to your liking but they haven't pulled the wool over anyone's eyes. These platforms have a great selection at a hell of a price. It would've cost me hundreds of dollars to buy all the DVDs of the shows I watched this summer alone. Instead I paid $30/month.

I get preferring platforms that specialize, but you made it sound like you have a problem with streaming platforms as such, using odd phrases like "commodification of media", whatever the heck that means. What about streaming platforms don't you like on a fundamental level?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:56 am

I actually get exactly where Kuwabara's coming from. Netflix's selection overall is REALLY quite awful and stiflingly limited. Some of their original content is indeed quite excellent and certainly worth checking out the service for: but overall, I tremendously disagree with ABED that their selection is even a tenth of what you'd get from a good video store back in the day. That and they routinely remove and cycle out a TON of their selection (that isn't their original content anyway), so you can't really rely on any personal favorites to dependably be there when you want them.

That having been said though: as much as I'm loathe to promote them as a company in general these days (due in large part to Jeff Bezos' utterly amoral and ever-increasingly scumbag financial dealings and business practices behind the scenes) Amazon's streaming platform IS admittedly a great, great deal more comprehensive and vastly overwhelmingly superior in the breadth and scope of its selection compared to Netflix's, and absolutely provides a selection that is MUCH more comparable to that of a good quality video store's.

Overall though, I'm 100% a supporter of physical media in general, if only just for the sheer convenience of having access to exactly what you want, when you want it, anytime you want it, without any fear of it getting delisted and removed from a digital streaming selection. There's something to be said for the inherent permanence of the fact that when you personally, physically own something, that's it: its yours forever, and its not going anywhere.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:35 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:I actually get exactly where Kuwabara's coming from. Netflix's selection overall is REALLY quite awful and stiflingly limited. Some of their original content is indeed quite excellent and certainly worth checking out the service for: but overall, I tremendously disagree with ABED that their selection is even a tenth of what you'd get from a good video store back in the day. That and they routinely remove and cycle out a TON of their selection (that isn't their original content anyway), so you can't really rely on any personal favorites to dependably be there when you want them.

That having been said though: as much as I'm loathe to promote them as a company in general these days (due in large part to Jeff Bezos' utterly amoral and ever-increasingly scumbag financial dealings and business practices behind the scenes) Amazon's streaming platform IS admittedly a great, great deal more comprehensive and vastly overwhelmingly superior in the breadth and scope of its selection compared to Netflix's, and absolutely provides a selection that is MUCH more comparable to that of a good quality video store's.

Overall though, I'm 100% a supporter of physical media in general, if only just for the sheer convenience of having access to exactly what you want, when you want it, anytime you want it, without any fear of it getting delisted and removed from a digital streaming selection. There's something to be said for the inherent permanence of the fact that when you personally, physically own something, that's it: its yours forever, and its not going anywhere.
You can disagree, but you'd be wrong just based on floor space alone. Even a great video store couldn't carry nearly the amount of titles. Much of the time when they remove titles it's because of the contracts and not out of choice. That's not even to mention that not only were stores limited in the number of titles, they were limited in the quantity of those titles, especially older ones. Those were also the days when home video was 4:3, so you were likely not getting proper aspect ratios. I realize how ironic that last sentence was given FUNi's treatment of DB. What video stores were you going to that had a greater selection? Few of them had TV shows to choose from, and even if they did... Take DB for example, You'd find maybe a few of the VHS or DVD copies. To get the whole series, you would be lucky to have a store that specialized in anime in your town.

I agree that Amazon's content is more comprehensive, but it's also a different business model. You can buy episodes/movies, or rent them for a limited time. Netflix is just streaming.

I like physical media as well, but in terms of cost (not just financial, but also opportunity cost and marginal cost, and shelf space), streaming is a far greater bargain.