Would you like to see the Dragon Ball Franchise on Netflix, (Even if it was redubbed)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Would you like to see the Dragon Ball Franchise on Netflix, (Even if it was redubbed)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:02 am

So... The Evangelion franchise is coming to Netflix. And it seems it Netflix will comission a new dub with a new cast In Spain and Latin America. So my question is this. Would you like to see Dragon Ball in its entirety on the Netflix Platform, even if it required a new dub? Keep in mind that this is for any region and country... even if I hadnt planned it that way. I had intended only hearing for the English version but now I realized that would be just the same old same old. Before you answer, THINK. DB, DBZ, DBZKai (Maybe) and GT. All Gone.

Super could be included but it doesnt have the audio issues that plague the old dub releases that make this a necessity.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Mewzard
I Live Here

Re: Would you like to see the Dragon Ball Franchise on Netflix, (Even if it was redubbed)

Post by Mewzard » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:05 am

I would especially love a redub with the same care and effort that Kai got, with all of the original music, accurate scripting, better acting, etc. Would make me quite happy.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Would you like to see the Dragon Ball Franchise on Netflix, (Even if it was redubbed)

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:49 am

Of course I'd like to see Dragon Ball content on Netflix, I even made a thread about it a while ago as what was actually stopping it from happening considering it's already on Microsoft Video Store, PlayStation Video Store, Apple's Video Store, FUNimation Now! and that's more or less it. A ton of places, but not Netflix for some reason.

Dragon Ball would actually give me a reason to keep subscribed so I could just tune in, watch and episode and enjoy it without having to bother around with DVDs/BDs.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:30 am

No, honestly. I’d rather them put the subbed Japanese version along with whatever dub they want to appeal to all fans. If it’s only dubbed, I won’t care, even if it’s a more accurate, new redub.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:07 am

MajinMan wrote:No, honestly. I’d rather them put the subbed Japanese version along with whatever dub they want to appeal to all fans. If it’s only dubbed, I won’t care, even if it’s a more accurate, new redub.
Netflix tend to offer multiple dubs if it's available, so you'd not be stuck to a single audio track.

I just read earlier that Netflix canceled Daredevil.. dammit. :thumbdown:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:33 pm

MajinMan wrote:No, honestly. I’d rather them put the subbed Japanese version along with whatever dub they want to appeal to all fans. If it’s only dubbed, I won’t care, even if it’s a more accurate, new redub.
This would honestly be the best route. Put the subbed Japanese version on for fans of the original Japanese version and the uncut dub with the dub music for the dub fans.

As appealing as a full redub would be impractical. Too many fans are attached to the dub as presented to them in the remastered sets. Most people who want a faithful redub are generally okay with watching the show in Japanese

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:44 pm

I'd love to see Dragon Ball on Netflix, subbed.

If dub-only, I would be vastly disappointed, apathetic, and annoyed unless it's either a new dub, or includes the Ocean/Blue Water dubs.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:08 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I'd love to see Dragon Ball on Netflix, subbed.
Fortunately in the US we get that on Hulu :P and GT. Just not Z or Kai and Super is on Crunchyroll I think
If dub-only, I would be vastly disappointed, apathetic, and annoyed unless it's either a new dub, or includes the Ocean/Blue Water dubs.
Netflix UK you might get lucky with the Blue Water/Ocean dubs
but Netflix USA would probably give us the Funimation dub.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:21 pm

Definitely, anything that gives the series more exposure is a good move in my book.

A redub would be absolutely incredible, but I severely doubt Funimation would risk doing it from a business perspective, especially with their Super dub ongoing and the show most likely returning next year.

As for the Canadian dubs, next to a home release (which is unlikely) being put on a streaming service would be the next best thing. I'd be all for it, especially if they can get Kai :)
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:17 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Fortunately in the US we get that on Hulu :P and GT. Just not Z or Kai and Super is on Crunchyroll I think
Good for you. :P

While I did mean Dragon Ball as a whole, meaning DB, Z, GT, maybe the movies and Kai too, honestly I'd be happy with just the original series.

Though, that'll be the crappy "Season" DVD masters anyway, so...
MasenkoHA wrote:Netflix UK you might get lucky with the Blue Water/Ocean dubs
Quite.

Good thing I live in the UK. :wink:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Netflix UK you might get lucky with the Blue Water/Ocean dubs
That would be more likely to happen for Netflix CA than Netflix UK, and let's not forget about the whole EU Article 13 which involves the delicate issue of copyright and who owns it and whatnot. UK's exiting the EU so that shouldn't really matter too much.
Robo4900 wrote:Good thing I live in the UK. :wink:
Don't get your hopes up just yet but it's possible.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:48 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:That would be more likely to happen for Netflix CA than Netflix UK
Not really.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:and let's not forget about the whole EU Article 13 which involves the delicate issue of copyright and who owns it and whatnot.
Won't matter. That affects social media, forums, search engines, etc. Netflix would be okay.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:04 pm

One would hope that FUNimation will use the Japanese HD Remaster of the series as their chance to put it up on Netflix.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:08 pm

In all honesty any English speaking country that got Dragon Ball on Netflix would most likely get the Funimation version lifted straight from the Blue/Orange/Green Bricks.

And maybe I’m wrong but the Blue Water and Westwood dubs were comissioned by AB Groupe for the European market they just ended up on Canada because they had a bigger appeal to Canadian Broadcasting requirements?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:26 am

Robo4900 wrote:Not really.
If you want to believe that, okay, buddy.

Ah, and what a great anime distro the UK has. They are definitely way better than FUNimation, Madman and Selecta Visión. God bless Manga UK! :thumbup:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Won't matter. That affects social media, forums, search engines, etc. Netflix would be okay.
It affects copyright material. Don't try to pretend Netflix and other content would be unaffected.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:38 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:If you want to believe that, okay, buddy.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... descension
MasenkoHA wrote:And maybe I’m wrong but the Blue Water and Westwood dubs were comissioned by AB Groupe for the European market they just ended up on Canada because they had a bigger appeal to Canadian Broadcasting requirements?
No, you are wrong. Canada didn't get these dubs until something like a year after the UK did, as I recall. The UK switched from the beginning of the Westwood Z run, with episode 108, while Canada didn't switch until IIRC episode 168. Both did go on to broadcast Blue Water's DB and GT, though. Cancon almost certainly had nothing to do with it, though. I also will note, though -- even if it did, it would be of little relevance here and now; Cancon applies differently to streaming(In fact, perhaps it doesn't apply at all, I'm not totally clear on this).

As for AB Groupe, they seem to have only been involved in its European distribution. Actual production was Westwood media. It's possible AB commissioned it, and then outsourced the day-to-day production duties to Westwood, which wouldn't surprise me, especially given the way this dub made it to the UK and Holland first, but honestly, we really don't know. The production of the Canadian dubs is something of a mystery.

So, realistically, there is absolutely no reason Canada would be more likely to get the Canadian dubs than the UK. Since Cancon isn't involved, and originally Canada didn't get this stuff until much later... It really isn't a factor. UK and Canada are likely on even ground here.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:52 am

Robo4900 wrote: No, you are wrong. Canada didn't get these dubs until something like a year after the UK did, as I recall. The UK switched from the beginning of the Westwood Z run, with episode 108, while Canada didn't switch until IIRC episode 168. Both did go on to broadcast Blue Water's DB and GT, though. Cancon almost certainly had nothing to do with it, though. I also will note, though -- even if it did, it would be of little relevance here and now; Cancon applies differently to streaming(In fact, perhaps it doesn't apply at all, I'm not totally clear on this).

As for AB Groupe, they seem to have only been involved in its European distribution. Actual production was Westwood media. It's possible AB commissioned it, and then outsourced the day-to-day production duties to Westwood, which wouldn't surprise me, especially given the way this dub made it to the UK and Holland first, but honestly, we really don't know. The production of the Canadian dubs is something of a mystery.

So, realistically, there is absolutely no reason Canada would be more likely to get the Canadian dubs than the UK. Since Cancon isn't involved, and originally Canada didn't get this stuff until much later... It really isn't a factor. UK and Canada are likely on even ground here.

I meant the Westwood dub was commissioned by Ab Groupe for the European markets and then Canadian Broadcast networks were like “okay” and grabbed them much later. Even though it was being dubbed by Canadians it wasn’t being made, initially, for Canadians who were still getting the in-house Funi dub until around the Cell Games? (I think)

I know Cancon laws has nothing to do with streaming I just figured since the Westwood dub was made for European territories in the first place and not Canada(who again I assumed only got it much later back in the day because of Cancon but I guess I was wrong) that would get Netflix UK the edge of getting the Westwood dub over Netflix Canada

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:55 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:.

I just read earlier that Netflix canceled Daredevil.. dammit. :thumbdown:
Due to Disney’s own streaming service coming out soon I believe Netflix is cancelling all their shows with Disney. I know Iron Fist and Luke Cage got the boot as well. Jessica Jones is next

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:59 am

MasenkoHA wrote:I meant the Westwood dub was commissioned by Ab Groupe for the European markets and then Canadian Broadcast networks were like “okay” and grabbed them much later. Even though it was being dubbed by Canadians it wasn’t being made, initially, for Canadians who were still getting the in-house Funi dub until around the Cell Games? (I think)
Yes, this is correct.
However, the reason they grabbed the Canadian dubs is more likely to do with Funimation being terrible at delivering their tapes to Canada on time, and the much higher prices they were charging, compared to the cheaper to license Canadian dubs, which ended up delivering their masters in a far more timely manner than Funi.
MasenkoHA wrote:I know Cancon laws has nothing to do with streaming I just figured since the Westwood dub was made for European territories in the first place and not Canada(who again I assumed only got it much later back in the day because of Cancon but I guess I was wrong) that would get Netflix UK the edge of getting the Westwood dub over Netflix Canada
Ah, I see.

Well, we're really not sure, if I'm honest. As I say, we can make a lot of assumptions based on what we do know, and we can talk about what's more likely and less likely, but we can't be entirely sure...

However, I don't think Netflix UK or Canada would have any particular edge over the other for the Canadian dubs. The way it worked back then still meant both the UK and Canada went Canadian with their dubbing for most of the run, so... It's hard to say.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:12 pm

Sooo... it seems that Netflix is indeed redubbing Evangelion.

Also I forgot to put this. The Japanese version is available as always. Just the dub being replaced. With a new cast.

Also I freaking love you Robo, but you are derailing the thread lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: