Captain Marvel Super Saiyan effect

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Captain Marvel Super Saiyan effect

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:33 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Like when people say Corey in the House is their favorite anime.
Indeed. Obviously, Shrek is far superior. ;)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Setting aside the densely multi-layered self-own of that Karate Kid comment (which yeah one can only hope, likely in deluding futility, that it was just a bad attempt at irony); one need not be at all familiar with wuxia, martial arts films of any sort, or even of the very existence of there being any Chinese film industry of any kind whatsoever to realize the inherent ludicrousness of this thread's entire premise.

Are you someone who is conscious and has a pulse of some sort in the modern world of 2018? Yes? You've likely watched these things called "movies" then. Are you a fairly young person whose tastes in media generally runs along the lines of the "geeky" persuasion? Yes? Then you've probably seen a lot of superhero films, Star Wars films, and general splashy and effects-heavy sci fi\fantasy movies.

Since as a modern day young person who is awake and breathing in 2018, you have likely seen a ton of special effects overdosed nerd tentpoles, and thus it is therefore safe to say that you have indeed seen PLENTY of movies featuring characters who routinely display one or more combinations of the following supernatural abilities:

- Fly
- Shoot lasers from their bodies
- Move at supersonic speeds
- Display superhuman, demigod levels of strength

Etcetera and so on and so forth. Seen The Matrix? Man of Steel? The Avengers? X-Men? Harry Potter? Star Wars? Then you've seen a buttload of perfectly suitable Ki-ishly lasery visual effects in a crapton of movies. Even the original Star Wars trilogy alone - made in the pre-CGI world of practical, physical, hand-made special effects - should clue one in that if we could handle making explosive and brightly-glowing laser beams coming out of the barrels futurustic sci fi blaster guns, we can probably also have them coming out of people's hands just as easily (and in point of fact, that's PRECISELY what most Wuxia films since, once again, the SILENT FILM ERA of the 1920s, have ALWAYS done: using the very same exact special effects technique as Star Wars no less). Same as the heat vision rays coming out of Superman's eyes in the 1970s Chris Reeves Superman movies.

Hell if you're a Dragon Ball fan (and why wouldn't you be if you're reading and posting here on a DB forum?) you've all but certainly seen this stuff in the actual - shitpile of a - Hollywood live action Dragon Ball movie that was made. Evolution certainly indeed sucked titanic amounts of assholes: it was still however able to manage characters throwing around Ki attacks at one another just fine. They looked underwhelming as all hell, but as was discussed earlier, that was entirely due to bad artistic/creative choices made in the film's visual aesthetic, not through the lack of viable special effects technology.

This thread's entire central conceit (that we're only JUST NOW as of the newest Captain Marvel trailer at the ass-end of 2018 reasonably sure that a live action big budget DB movie might just possibly be technologically capable of handling Ki auras and blasts) only makes ANY kind of sense at all if you're someone who has somehow never watched ANY big budget Hollywood fantasy geek movie ever made at any point within the last 30 - hell even 40 - years. And considering the general audience/community makeup here, I find that whole premise to be INCREDIBLY unlikely, even among some of the most ardently media-sheltered folks present.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:29 pm

I was always under the impression when people had reservations of Dragon Balls not translating to Hollywood they meant stuff like Goku’s hair, the animal people etc etc not the fighting style which Hollywood has ate up since at least the 90s or the pew pew pew energy blast.

And really the animal people are incredibly superfluous and easy to omit and Goku’s hair well to give Evolution some credit I thought they somewhat reasonably met in the middle with that if only they didn’t cast the whitest whitebread dude to play an obvious Japanese character based on a Chinese figure

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:53 am

Watched the trailer just to see the Super Saiyan effect and eh, it was okay. Yet another superhero flick as if there wasn't already a sea of them. In the old days, there was too many cowboy flicks and now there's too many superhero flicks. To be honest, I'd rather watch a Western movie instead.

At some point the market is going to get over-saturated with Marvel/DC movies if it hasn't already.

Daredevil was my favorite superhero-ish series and Netflix canned that, possibly so that Disney takes it and reboots/continues it on Hulu but it probably won't be the same. The Punisher and Jessica Jones are gonna receive the hammer too after their next seasons air.

/rant
MasenkoHA wrote:And really the animal people are incredibly superfluous and easy to omit and Goku’s hair well to give Evolution some credit I thought they somewhat reasonably met in the middle with that if only they didn’t cast the whitest whitebread dude to play an obvious Japanese character based on a Chinese figure
Well, if it wasn't already bad that the Dragon Ball community can be toxic then this is evidence its fans are racist too.

The Saiyans are an alien race and not Japanese, so having a European actor to play Goku wasn't really something that bothered me but rather the movie didn't do a decent job of being faithful to its source material. Watching it in Japanese was sorta cool.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:44 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:And really the animal people are incredibly superfluous and easy to omit and Goku’s hair well to give Evolution some credit I thought they somewhat reasonably met in the middle with that if only they didn’t cast the whitest whitebread dude to play an obvious Japanese character based on a Chinese figure
Well, if it wasn't already bad that the Dragon Ball community can be toxic then this is evidence its fans are racist too.

The Saiyans are an alien race and not Japanese, so having a European actor to play Goku wasn't really something that bothered me but rather the movie didn't do a decent job of being faithful to its source material. Watching it in Japanese was sorta cool.
ok i don't get how you can interpret what MasenkoHA said as racist but ok. like yea, the saiyans are aliens, but like, goku is still ethnically supposed to be Asian afaik, and it's based on a Japanese series, so unless goku was like said to be American, casting a white actor for the role is pretty stupid.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:51 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

ok i don't get how you can interpret what MasenkoHA said as racist but ok. like yea, the saiyans are aliens, but like, goku is still ethnically supposed to be Asian afaik, and it's a Japanese series, so yea casting a white actor for the role is pretty stupid anyways.

Thank you. The dude is clearly suppose to resemble a Japanese guy as much as say Superman is suppose to resemble a white dude.

It’s funny, I’ve seen fanboys flip their lid at someone even suggesting a non-white dude play Superman, despite the fact that “he’s not caucasian he’s an alien” very much applies. But Goku? “Welllll he’s an alien not Japanese :)

Fuck that, despite Toriyama’s world not being like ours (with dinosaurs and animal people and what not) it’s very suppose to still be Japan with people with Japanese names, speaking Japanese, with Japanese culture and customs. Son Goku is most definitely suppose to resemble a Japanese guy as much as Superman looks like a white guy

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:00 am

in somewhat fairness, super man being a Proud American White Boi, is afaik a somewhat important thing to his character, but yea i get your point, and trust me i agree lol. the amount of times comic book fans have made the news because they got mad because there's a version of a Classic Character not white or male is embarrassing.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:08 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:in somewhat fairness, super man being a Proud American White Boi, is afaik a somewhat important thing to his character, but yea i get your point, and trust me i agree lol. the amount of times comic book fans have made the news because they got mad because there's a version of a Classic Character not white or male is embarrassing.
There are actually a lot of alternate universe versions of characters in Marvel and DC that experiment with these tropes:

http://worldofblackheroes.com/2015/04/2 ... -superman/
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:17 am

lol God damn 6ft6 450 pounds, what a Unit.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:23 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:ok i don't get how you can interpret what MasenkoHA said as racist but ok. like yea, the saiyans are aliens, but like, goku is still ethnically supposed to be Asian afaik, and it's based on a Japanese series, so unless goku was like said to be American, casting a white actor for the role is pretty stupid.
Swap "didn’t cast the whitest whitebread" to "didn't cast the blackest blackbread" and it would be automatically racist but there's a clear double-standard.

Now, as for 'American', that's a nationality and not an ethnicity/race in itself as anyone who legally becomes a US citizen is an American by default.
MasenkoHA wrote:Thank you. The dude is clearly suppose to resemble a Japanese guy as much as say Superman is suppose to resemble a white dude.
Which part of Goku resembles to be a Japanese guy? The hair? The eyes? The skin color? The mouth?

The only thing you could go on that he's Japanese is the language he speaks and the clothes being in kanji but the character in itself isn't Japanese. Attack of the Titans has German characters speaking in Japanese, for example.
MasenkoHA wrote:“he’s not caucasian he’s an alien”
Caucasians are from the Caucasus as you may or may not know, it's in the Asian continent. "whites" as you prefer to call originally came from the European continent (hence they're Europeans) and are now also in the Americas continent (Canada, Mexico, America, Colombia, Brazil, etc) and Ocean Pacific (Australia, New Zealand).
MasenkoHA wrote:Fuck that, despite Toriyama’s world not being like ours (with dinosaurs and animal people and what not) it’s very suppose to still be Japan with people with Japanese names, speaking Japanese, with Japanese culture and customs. Son Goku is most definitely suppose to resemble a Japanese guy as much as Superman looks like a white guy
It depends how the characters are drawn and whether they're "white" or "Japanese". Anime characters tend to look more "white" than "Japanese". And as far as "Superman looks like a white guy" that's a really vague comment because "whites" don't lookalike and then again, there's your racist side showing up. If we're to go on about saying that then we might also say "Black Panther looks like a black guy" and is it true? No.

Latin, Germanic, Slavic, Scandinavian are all Europeans but still look very distinct from each other.

I honestly hate to bring up the word 'racist' but matter of the fact is that you are being and somehow you're not noticing you are.

I've made my point and rest my case.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:25 pm

Superman is a metaphor for immigration and growing up in a foreign country and embracing its values. Not sure how that metaphor has been lost.