Replacement opening rankings

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatJaiyaman
Banned

Replacement opening rankings

Post by GreatJaiyaman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:34 am

Dragonball GT rap theme, Ultimate uncut Dbz red opening, or Rock the Dragon? I have much nostalgia for rock the dragon myself.
VegettoEX is a snowflake

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Replacement opening rankings

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:29 am

I have a lot of nostalgia for Rock the Dragon. I found that it has a catchy tune to it. The "lyrics" aren't exactly Grammy level, but the music itself is so good. The Ultimate Uncut theme is just a generic rock track. There's really not much to remember about it (though the intro was pretty cool before the music really kicks in). The GT rap... Terrible voice, horrible lyrics, and just a terrible idea. BUT, I found the actual music to be catchy. It wasn't good, but it was catchy. And to anyone who felt like the rap threw off the tone of the series, the series never had a rock tone either, so it's not like their previous replacement music was more in line in that regard.

I'll rank them, but I'll preface it by saying that none of the replacement scores are actually great, just some are better than others. I'm also going to throw in all of the openings and include the Weatwood/Ocean and Blue Water versions as well. I'm leaving out the replacement scores that were based on their original counterparts, including Blue Waters GT opening even though they messed with the flow of the lyrics.

Okay, so from least favorite to most:

8 ) The intro they originally used for the Bardock special (I believe) where it starts with some high pitch and some guy keeps saying "Dragon Ball Zeeeee!" Ugh, what a horrendous piece of music

7 ) The Z intro used on all of Funimation's later releases (orange bricks and onward) because it's so generic and doesn't even have one catchy arrangement of notes

6 ) Blue Water Dragon Ball intro because it was so totally cheesy, but so much better than the ones I mentioned before this

5 ) Westwood/Ocean Dragon Ball Z intro for it being simple and having a Saturday morning cartoon feel

4 ) GT rap for its catchy beat

3 ) Ultimate Uncut theme because while it's generic, it is okay

2 ) Original "Season 4" and onward theme (the one that served as the base for the entire series' replacement score) for the catchy beat and being the lesser of evils than the others

1 ) Rock the Dragon for its super catchy beat and nostalgia

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 am

Can I vote for the two FUNI Dragon Ball anime openings?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:52 am

the intro used for the orange bricks and stuff is so lame and generic lol. rock the dragon is peak stupid but like, it's fun i guess. gt rap cracks me up just for how bad it is, but like i don't hate it like a lot of others.

i liked the replacement intro for dragon Ball tho quite a bit, even if the singing is like kinda weird.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:17 am

As for the many many many DBZ openings Funimation made

1. Uncut Toonami Opening- Even though this is my go to to point out everything wrong Funimation did to DBZ it’s still pretty badass.

2. Rock the Dragon- Mostly for noatalgia

3. Toonami opening from season 4 onwards- Wasn’t it just the Faulconer title card and outro music played on loop for 30 seconds? Fuck that noise

4. Orange Brick opening- It sounds like free stock music for “Baby’s First Video Project” in their first video production class. I hate it even worse because Funimtion insist on keeping this with their English Audio with Japanese music option. Also it just drags out since it uses the exact same animation as Head Cha La

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: 3. Toonami opening from season 4 onwards- Wasn’t it just the Faulconer title card and outro music played on loop for 30 seconds? Fuck that noise
No it wasn’t just that :roll:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:48 pm

Rock The Dragon is one of best "So Bad, It's Good" replacement songs I've heard for any anime ever.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:59 pm

The only one I ever really heard much of was Rock the Dragon. Toonami didn't play the intros to the show much, usually only when they played on of the first 3 Z movies. I think FUNi's Ultimate Uncut opening fits the show best, but I'm not particularly fond of any of them. GT's is of course at the very bottom.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:44 pm

Rock The Dragon was pretty catchy when I was 12. And at least they had the good sense to use some clips from the movies and the actual intros which look quite a bit better than footage from the actual episodes.

That Funimation intro they started using in "Season 4" or whatever is freaking terrible. Absolutely the most random assortment of clips taken from the late Freeza/Garlic Jr. saga, edited nonsensically. I know some fans will defend Faulconer to the death but holy cow it just sounds like stock music.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:22 am

Honestly, aside from the non-Faulconer Funimation openings, I think they're all pretty solid. Naturally, the GT rap, Ultimate Uncut, and a bunch of the other Funi ones utterly suck, but I've never really had much of a problem with the others. The Faulconer Z opening was pretty catchy and fun, the Westwood one is pretty neat and groovy, Rock The Dragon is a classic... It's good stuff.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:01 am

No love for BLT!? FOR SHAME! Its epic. And I didnt even grow up with it or whatever.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:54 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:No love for BLT!? FOR SHAME! Its epic. And I didnt even grow up with it or whatever.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:06 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:No love for BLT!? FOR SHAME! Its epic. And I didnt even grow up with it or whatever.
It’s a fun kitschy 90s kids cartoon opening. I honestly hold it up higher than Rock the Dragon, The Canadian opening of Z, the Ultimate Uncut Z opening, the remastered Z opening, and Step into the Grand Tour