Super Boo: The worst form of a main villain ever?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Super Boo: The worst form of a main villain ever?

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:13 pm

This guy might be the worst character to ever take up the role of the main antagonist.

That includes Vegeta and Freeza, but some characters actually have very different personalities between their transformations. So Imperfect Cell, Semi Perfect Cell, and Perfect Cell all count as different. Fat Boo, Super Boo, and Kid Boo are all different, and to some extent, Super Boo with any of his absorbtions counts as another individual. Because as soon as Boo absorbs Gotenks, he instantly loses any uniqueness as a character or person. He's arrogant, toys around a for a ridiculously long time, then gets really mad when someone beats him. He's every Dragon Ball trope written as lazily as possible. He's just so bad, even his artstyle changes as soon as he starts sucking.
Cool, scary
Sucks.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Super Boo: The worst form of a main villain ever?

Post by zarmack » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:18 pm

Semi-Perfect Cell is even worse, but any version of Super Buu (except Base) sucks as a character. He basically becomes a blander version of Perfect Cell the moment he starts absorbing people.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:44 am

I disagree. I love how he was played up to be this unpredictable maniac who couldn't be reasoned with. Vegeta gave the good guys 3 hours to wait for Goku, Cell gave them 10 whole days to train, but Super Buu wouldn't even wait an hour.

From the minute he appears there's a real sense of dread. Just the way he stands and his mannerisms make it clear he's a truly sadistic freak. For example the way he laughs before killing the gunman in one of the most horrific ways possible, and right after that he catches a glimpse of Mr Satan and proceeds to twist his upper body all the way around as if he's relishing the moment right before going in for the kill (even though he lets him live due to Good Buu's influence).

Up to that point Fat Buu had been immensely powerful and unstoppable, so giving all that power to someone who is genuinely pure evil makes it clear that things have taken a turn for the worst for the good guys.

And the tension only increases when you realise he's flying towards the lookout. I love that moment because after all of the careful planning in the safe refuge of the lookout, shit just hits the fan completely and he's there in their face with that evil grin. For me that's got to be one of the bleakest moments of the series and it's to Piccolo credit that he's able to keep things from completely falling apart by talking and stalling.

For me Fat Buu was a fun villain with comedic value but was wearing a bit thin (no pun intended) by that point, so Super Buu was the perfect way to shake things up again.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:07 am

90sDBZ, I believe the OP was talking about Super Buu after he's absorbed characters like Gohan, Piccolo, and Gotenks.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Disagree of course (look at my current profile pic).

One of the reasons I like Buu in general is that I find the way he changes throughout the arc interesting. First he's innocent and childlike, then he becomes evil but still fairly simple minded, then with this and his Gohan forms he becomes smarter, more eloquent and boastful, and more faux affably evil, but still retains the childlike streak that all of Buu's forms have; with this form it's just hidden underneath his more eloquent persona and only reemerges once Vegetto shows up and starts kicking his ass. Yes, he basically becomes the standard archetype for Dragon Ball villains at this point, but I think it works because of how we see him evolve into that (and later devolve from that into something completely mindless and instinctual like Kid Buu).

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:14 pm

Freeza form 3 kinda sucks.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:26 pm

Well Boo is the worst main villain ever by far,(not including GT) so it makes sense that one of his forms would be the worst form of a main villain ever. I don't necessarily agree with Super Boo being the worst form, at least that form was capable of forming a sentence. Although, I think normal Super Boo is the best of the bunch, and frankly every other iteration of Boo is just boring trash. It's a toss-up between Kid Buu, Fat Buu, Buutenks and Buuhan for which one is the biggest pile of garbage.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:45 pm

TheBigBoy wrote:Freeza form 3 kinda sucks.
I agree, Freeza's third form is probably the worst form of a main villain in the main series.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:50 pm

I thought his mannerisms changing after absorbing people was neat. It added some uniqueness to absorption when compared to something like Cell's absorption. Which I also liked for the creepiness factor, but it didn't alter his personality really, just his power.

That said, if Super Boo with Gohan absorbed was the final battle, yeah that would've been lame. As it was, it was a neat change up from the low intelligence Boo we were used to by that point, but certainly not final battle worthy. I think Kid Boo was the way to go there. Just pure evil wrecking everything in sight with no remorse, only stalling so as to prolong the "fun".

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 pm

I wouldn't say 3rd form Freeza's the worst. It doesn't take up enough time for it to be the worst.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:15 pm

Bootenks/Boohan is really no worse than Perfect Cell. Which is kind of the problem considering how droll and bland Cell is. In a way, Evil Boo definitely is the worst form of a main villain (at least in the original series,) but Fat Boo and Pure Boo are great enough antagonists where I can't dislike Majin Boo as a whole. That said, Fat and Pure Boo being such good villains just makes Evil Boo look all the worse.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:31 pm

I much prefer Super Boo over Kid Boo. At least the former has an actual personality, some sort of elegance, and some kind of motivation that drives him forward. The latter is just an animal who wants to destroy everyone because he is completely crazy. B-O-R-I-N-G. I am not saying that every Dragon Ball villain should be as complex and multi-layered as Goku Black/Zamasu, but the writers could at least try to make them more elaborate than a simple rabid child who wants to kill everyone.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:36 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:Bootenks/Boohan is really no worse than Perfect Cell. Which is kind of the problem considering how droll and bland Cell is.
While I do think that persona works for Buu here because of what I posted earlier, it's true that Cell is kind of bland in terms of character. He's basically Freeza without the character traits that made Freeza interesting.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:42 pm

ABED wrote:90sDBZ, I believe the OP was talking about Super Buu after he's absorbed characters like Gohan, Piccolo, and Gotenks.
Yes I'd just realised after I'd already posted. The topic name threw me off.

I will say that Super Buu loses his creepiness once he absorbs Gotenks/Piccolo. And yes he's pretty similar to Cell in those absorption forms. Although I think the Funimation dub actually helped Buutenks by giving him extra dialogue where he gets inside Gohan's head and messes with him. It made that whole fight more interesting than just the usual "Now I'm stronger than you".

Buuhan I will admit does come across as a somewhat generic bad guy, getting angry when he can't win and such. But I can forgive it because it's just so funny to watch Vegito make a fool of him, particularly during the candy Vegito scene.

And there are those scenes of Buuhan alone after he's absorbed Vegito, where he goes on a childish rampage in a manner that Frieza or Cell wouldn't do. It's also funny seeing him go to all those cake stores and stuff his face. It just shows that deep down inside he still retains some of that childish/greedy nature of Fat Buu.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:17 pm

90sDBZ wrote:And there are those scenes of Buuhan alone after he's absorbed Vegito, where he goes on a childish rampage in a manner that Frieza or Cell wouldn't do. It's also funny seeing him go to all those cake stores and stuff his face. It just shows that deep down inside he still retains some of that childish/greedy nature of Fat Buu.
Exactly. He celebrates like a little kid when he think's he's beaten Vegetto, which is not how Freeza or Cell would celebrate defeating an opponent. Even in his most "standard DBZ villain" form, that fundamental aspect of Buu's character remains.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:30 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:I much prefer Super Boo over Kid Boo. At least the former has an actual personality, some sort of elegance, and some kind of motivation that drives him forward. The latter is just an animal who wants to destroy everyone because he is completely crazy. B-O-R-I-N-G. I am not saying that every Dragon Ball villain should be as complex and multi-layered as Goku Black/Zamasu, but the writers could at least try to make them more elaborate than a simple rabid child who wants to kill everyone.
And yet I'm more compelled to watch Kid Buu because he's not around as long, the fights are better, and his nihilism combined with childlike nature, makes for an interesting combination. The other Buu's personality isn't that interesting and he stays around for way too long and it doesn't amount to much.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Dragon Ball and villains-who-posture-endlessly-and-are-super-arrogant-and-never-shut-up are a pretty solid pair at this point.

It's one of the reasons I think people are too harsh on Broly (at least the first movie). For once in the series we get a villain who just gets down to business.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote:Dragon Ball and villains-who-posture-endlessly-and-are-super-arrogant-and-never-shut-up are a pretty solid pair at this point.

It's one of the reasons I think people are too harsh on Broly (at least the first movie). For once in the series we get a villain who just gets down to business.
A much easier taske when you only have to fill 90 minutes.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:22 pm

ABED wrote:A much easier taske when you only have to fill 90 minutes.
Without question, and I guess that you can argue that Janemba is just "movie Buu" and therefore much more effective, but the Dragon Ball series from DBZ onward has never had a complex primary antagonist except for Vegeta (and he had no complexity when he was the primary antagonist). Literally every villain is either:

1) A narcissistic asshat who thinks they're god, or
2) Some monstrous form of directionless chaos

Then again, Dragon Ball isn't exactly famous for its character development.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:26 pm

It's reductive to say DB doesn't have character development. At the very least, the characters are all well defined and despite being archetypal in many ways, they are unique and don't feel like cardboard. While not all the characters have grand changes in personality, their circumstances change a whole hell of a lot. How many long running stories can you think of that show you the main characters from childhood through adulthood?

I don't ask for a whole lot in the antagonists. I don't care what type they are, just don't be boring. There's no formula or shortcut to it. A villain can be evil for the sake of evil and be more interesting than one that is meant to be three dimensional and even sympathetic.