DBZ Uncensored 2 is gone.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

DBZ Uncensored 2 is gone.

Post by TVfan721 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:04 pm

http://www.animecauldron.com/dbzuncensored2/

The website is kaput. The original DBZ Uncensored is still, somehow, online after all these years but it's all that's left from that era in time. DBZ Uncensored 2 came afterwards and was run by the same guy who ran the DBZOA. Years ago, I was pretty critical of just how extreme DBZ Uncensored 2 and DBZOA were in their criticisms of Funimation but it doesn't matter anymore. Everyone helped contribute to where we are today with the fandom in terms of faithfulness and respect towards the original material. People like VegettoEX, GreatSaiyaman777, SJR, Psaros, etc all played a role in that. (You can still access the site through archive.org by the way.)

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Re: DBZ Uncensored 2 is gone.

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:34 pm

Huh what are you talking about?
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:20 pm

No offence to GreatSaiyaman777, but that site was never anything more than a pale imitation of the original DBZ Uncensored so this is really no big loss. GSM777 was nowhere near as entertaining to read as Chris Psaros.
Everyone helped contribute to where we are today with the fandom in terms of faithfulness and respect towards the original material.
Some old timers here would argue that the DBZOA did not contribute positively to the discourse at the time. From what I've read in the archives, they had a reputation for being dumb, overzealous subbies.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:04 pm

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!ONE1!!!

I loved that site. Now I WILL NEVER READ the interview with the Toei animator that hated what Funimation did! Or his various awesomely colorful rants.

I wil cry the day Yu Gi Oh uncensored goes kaput.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:12 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!ONE1!!!

I loved that site. Now I WILL NEVER READ the interview with the Toei animator that hated what Funimation did! Or his various awesomely colorful rants.
https://web.archive.org/web/20090818182 ... index.html
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:22 pm

Speaking of, it’s a bit unfortunate that Chris never got past the Namek saga. Granted, as the show was less censored once it moved to Toonami there was less to takk about in terms of censorship. The very fact the site mostly focused at the Funi/Saban/Ocean dub is an amusing artifact on its self.

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:.

Not going to lie the webmaster of Yu-gi-oh uncensored really rubbed me the wrong way maybe it’s because his entire tone felt like an angry 13-year old boy or because he made false claims like 4Kids skipped a season.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:28 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Better get those handkerchiefs ready. http://www.animecauldron.com/ygouncensored/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Big Boss wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Better get those handkerchiefs ready. http://www.animecauldron.com/ygouncensored/

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:38 pm

I loved DBZ Uncensored. Greg Werner's old site was my first brush with the "real" version of DBZ. He posted a bunch of screen caps from his low quality fansubs, largely without explanation. Thankfully, I discovered DBZ Uncensored and Psaros was able to largely contextualize what I was seeing. Like who the hell that drunk blonde chick was. Or the weird bar in heaven filled with ghosts.

The DBZOA guys were all over the old planetnamek.com forums. I remember thinking they were nutjobs. Some of the ugliest flame wars I ever saw online involved them.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Ok, so is it said that I first learned about DBZ Uncensored 2 when this thread was posted? GDI!

Edit: Interview with a Polish DB Otaku "Another DBZ version outshines the American one."

NO. I'll give the French-derived dubs credit for keeping the original music and not dramatically changing the tone of the show to make it all action-y and edgy... but Funi's dub is still more coherent despite its major flaws. You don't have the script dumbed down to the point where characters are either never named, named much later than they should have been, or (Crane Hermit to Master Shen notwithstanding) named bizarrely for no apparent reason (Piccolo to Satan, Piccolo Jr to Satan Little Heart). Not to mention how the saiyans/saiyajin were named "Space Warriors"... At least in the actual interview, it is admitted that the script of French DB and French DBZ is shit.

Edit 2: I'm surprised the Latino review didn't mention how Oolong's wish for panties turned into "I wish to conquer Bulma!", an error which BLT, Funi, and BW lacked. No reference to Planeta Namekusei or Maki Gero either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by Danfun64 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Those errors are minimal. In the Latin American dub, and that DOES outshine the USA version. Sure its a bit dishonest to say it was all uncensored and mistake free. But then again what isnt?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:18 pm

True, overall the Latino dub pre-Kai is a LOT better than what Funi offered...and for what it's worth, the interviewer did say that it was "practically 95% like the original only in Spanish".

That reminds me though, I'm surprised the Castellan Spanish dub wasn't mentioned at all in the Latino interview. Granted, there's a good chance the interviewee didn't see it, but it would've been fun to see the reaction to it (bonus points would have been in order had the Big Green dub been mentioned as well, but Big Green wasn't that big when the interview came out or wasn't released yet(?))
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:05 am

There was a brief time I visited DBZOA a lot. However, it was mostly because they were hosting the defunct DBZ Uncensored. I do remember checking out some of their content. I read a few of Great Saiyaman 777's editorials, and I tried to follow some of their episode comparisons. But as others have said, they just didn't have the charm that Chris Psaros had. Psaros could be hyperbolic and ranty, but he was witty and often had at least a little bit of his tongue in his cheek. He had just enough self-awareness to make all of that funny and endearing. DBZ Uncensored 2 had all of the rage of the original site but none of the charm or wit, so the net result was more obnoxious and repetitive than funny, unfortunately. I suppose they were trying too hard to mimic Psaros's style rather than make their own, and it just felt like a pale imitation. But I appreciate the site for keeping DBZ Uncensored hosted until Castor Troy took it under his wing.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:14 am

I only vaguely remember the place. Black wallpaper, you could hover your mouse over images to reveal uncensored screenshots? Maybe that was the first one?
That sorta stuff wasn't too high up on my radar.

I remember DBZOA more vividly, but that's because they had translated scripts for a good chunk of Z and the movies and I would use quotes from those in fan-works. I saved a bunch of those notepad scripts, but I don't know if I still have them. That might've been all I used DBZOA for, actually. I don't recall ever reading any editorials posted there.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:41 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:Psaros could be hyperbolic and ranty, but he was witty and often had at least a little bit of his tongue in his cheek. He had just enough self-awareness to make all of that funny and endearing. DBZ Uncensored 2 had all of the rage of the original site but none of the charm or wit, so the net result was more obnoxious and repetitive than funny, unfortunately. I suppose they were trying too hard to mimic Psaros's style rather than make their own, and it just felt like a pale imitation.
Agreed. Being ranty and hyperbolic and having it come off as funny instead of obnoxious takes some skill to pull off. Psaros was good at riding that line, GSM777 was not.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:46 am

I wouldn't call Psaros witty at all. He was amusing when I was a teenager. However, I am thankful because it was a good source of information at a time when I didn't have easy access to the series.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:06 pm

DBZ Uncensored in general has a real "time and place" quality to it. I re-read the site like a year back and saw some inaccuracies and weird, dated humor, fanboyish hyperbole and a general lack of nuance. You kinda have to put yourself in the mindset of a 13 year old from 1999 who was just getting into Dragon Ball to really appreciate it. It mostly reminded me how much I miss the "old" internet, lol.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:32 pm

ABED wrote:I wouldn't call Psaros witty at all. He was amusing when I was a teenager. However, I am thankful because it was a good source of information at a time when I didn't have easy access to the series.
I’m more inclined to agree with this.

A lot of his stuff comes off as pretentious whining. Like how dare the Funimation Heads not be Otaku. How dare Toriyama and Toei sell the license to Funimation and let them make it more “commericially viable”*

Not that everything he said was meritless. He did say when he was fine with Funimation removing something for pacing (unlike some other uncensored sites that whine over every little snippit) and yeah Saban went too far with their demands of what needed to be censored and he rightfully called out Funimation when they tried to avoid responsibility on anything

*I don’t think DBZ needed to be drastically altered to be a commercial success but I think its a bit silly to be mad at Funimation for wanting the thing to succeed

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:24 pm

*shrugs* I still visit the site once in a while for a stroll down memory lane, and I still find the bulk of his criticisms extremely fair. Considering the purpose of his site was to document the changes made, of course there'd be cuts and censors mentioned that a people could unfairly classify as "nitpicks." One thing I've frequently noticed in my own public Dragon Ball work is that certain viewers tend to lack a certain nuance to hearing criticism. In particular, simply the act of mentioning something is enough to set people off or assume that it's being said with the same weight as the most scathing criticisms. If it's criticized, then it absolutely must mean it's abhorred to the highest level. So if someone looks at the running gag of Dr. Brief's cigarette being censored out in season 3, it shows up so often someone might be inclined to think it's some sort of vindictive vendetta when in reality, Dr. Brief shows up a lot in season 3, and the whole point of the site is to document the changes, so of course it has to be brought up frequently. But he was absolutely never shy about giving credit to things he thought were good, reasonable, or even better than the original. And, yes, there were multiple instances of the latter. He could be snarky and abrasive and passionate. But that really does sum up the fandom of that time. There's hardly anyone from that era and that section of the fandom who could honestly say they haven't angrily ranted at FUNimation's business practices and handling of Dragon Ball. The fact that we're currently up in arms about Toei censoring the movies shows that it's not at all a mindset relegated to the late '90s either.

I think where the site shows its age the most is simply its lack of basic information we take for granted nowadays about the production of the franchise. For example, he appeared woefully ignorant about the first television series, and as such, his confusion about when characters learned to fly is particularly cringe-worthy. I also believe he put the original version of the anime on an unrealistic pedestal a lot of the time, making it out as some artistic masterpiece on the level of Studio Ghibli as opposed to the weekly toy commercial it actually was. Then of course, there were fan rumors assimilated as fact, such as the belief that Toriyama planned to end the series after The Freeza Arc. But in context, a lot of that's understandable for the time. Unless you were fluent in Japanese and able to follow the franchise as it aired, you generally gathered your knowledge of the franchise in bits and pieces. Knowledge was scarce. Verifying things was difficult. Even seeing and owning the franchise in its entirety was difficult. While VegettoEX was around, there was certainly no Kanzenshuu as we know it now back then. It's easy to scoff at it now when everything is so readily at hand and has been for well over a decade. But I'm certainly not going to throw stones in my glass house...
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:52 pm

First. Confession Time: I hate Studio Ghibli. Second: I think Psaros did cut Funimation a lot of Slack.

This is on the final part of his Look What They've Done To My Show! rant.
This should outright disprove that Chris didnt understand that Funimation had to make a lot of these changes to appease executives. I will NEVER say they were genuinely necessary because that's FUCKING BULLSHIT.

And that's not the only time either.
Sure, I disagree that censorship is needed, but its a bone of fairness he does throw for Funimation.

So yes, he was an "Angry Anime Guy" but he wanst a caricature, he was of course, a human being who was very passionate about how he felt about Dragon Ball.