Need help identifying kanji from "Goku vs Sky Dragon"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Son Goharotto

Need help identifying kanji from "Goku vs Sky Dragon"

Post by Son Goharotto » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:53 pm

My knowledge of Japanese is extremely limited and I'm wondering what the sign of Chin Taiken's school actually says:

The DVDs seem to be using dubtitles and it's an obscure enough detail that I can't find a reliable resource online. In the episode (#80), Shoken even states the name of the school, but I can't parse it out by ear. Using the resources I have on hand, I was able to identify three of the six characters: 陳_星__法

The first is just the guy's surname, Chin (陳). The third is Sei (星) for "Star" and relates to his Genseiken ("Illusion Star Fist") technique, a.k.a. Zanzouken with the serial numbers filed off. But the preceding and following kanji don't match anything that I can find for "Illusion" or "Fist." The sixth character, Hou (法), means "Law" and seems to be part of a compound term referring to his martial arts school.

Any help would be much appreciated. =)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Need help identifying kanji from "Goku vs Sky Dragon"

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:10 pm

Incidentally, I have this all written up from this never-ending family name guide I've been working on...! (All of the following was worked on and vetted with Julian/SaiyaJedi, so don't just take my word for it):
Upcoming Kanzenshuu Family Name Guide wrote:During his training and journeys leading up to the 22nd Tenka'ichi Budōkai, in Dragon Ball episode 80 Goku learns of and meets a strong martial artist named "Chin Taiken". The man has a young son named "Shōken"; 大拳 (taiken) means "big fist" while 小拳 (shōken) means "little fist".

In one instance during the episode, rival martial artist Tenlong refers to the father by his presumed given name of just “Taiken”. A sign above the door at the family's dōjō reads as 陳家星極拳法 (Chin-ka Seikyoku Kenpō, "Chin Family Star-Extremities Martial Arts"). There is an actual martial art called the "Eight Extremities" style; the name of the Chin family's martial art appears to be a pun on that and the word kyoku-sei, or "pole star".

The father and son are listed in the episode's credits with just their given names of 大拳 and 小拳, respectively:

Daizenshuu 3, however, showcases both the father and son labeled with their full names:

Being a father/son duo with a pseudo-Chinese name (which would be read as "Chén") shared between them in eastern order, it is very likely that "Chin" is indeed their family name.
(Gonna move this out of the "In-Universe" section, btw.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Son Goharotto

Post by Son Goharotto » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:33 pm

"Star-Extremities," lol. That makes sense, given the way his strikes appear when seen head on, like rays of light or the points of a star. This is one of those miniscule details that only suddenly matter to me because I'm writing a fanfic and I feel like I need to know it, even if I don't actually reference it. :lol:

Thanks for coming to the rescue. So I take it this info isn't already on the site? 'Cause I'd feel really dumb for missing it...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Nope, not live yet. We did an intro to the subject as a podcast episode, which I've built on to extreme degrees since then and haven't been able to finish just yet. I really thought I'd have it done by summer last year, then by the end of the year, now I'm looking at maybe Q1 this year... :think:
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Son Goharotto

Post by Son Goharotto » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:18 pm

As a fellow perfectionist, I can sympathize with wanting to make sure it's all done and 100% right before publishing. That's probably why I have so many abandoned WIPs on my harddrive. I recently forced myself to post chapters as I write them, damn the consequences, and now my longest running fic is up to 46 chapters and I somehow still have the motivation to keep going. But then again, I'm the last person to be giving advice on productivity. :roll: