Has anyone seen the Big Green Dub of DBGT's TV-Special?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Has anyone seen the Big Green Dub of DBGT's TV-Special?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:25 am

I'm curious if this dub was actually good because it seems to be impossible to find now but surely someone here must have seen it. If so, how was it? Was it accurate? Did you like it?

TV ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-9IpbbYTfs

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Has anyone seen the Big Green Dub of DBGT's TV-Special?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:42 am

I seen it when it aired on Toonami UK all those years ago. Kicking myself not not recording it though, that ad is pretty much all that can be found of the special.

I didn't think much of the voice acting back then but from the snippets I remember it was on par with most of the Big Green dub acting... so not very good. Can't say about its accuracy either as I don't remember the dialogue specifically. I remember liking it and immediately looking for DVDs online, suffice to say the Funi dub is the only one that would ever be available.

Hopefully someone has a recording of it somewhere they can upload.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:27 am

No recordings circulate, to my knowledge, and I personally don't remember watching it on TV back in the day.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:53 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:I'm curious if this dub was actually good because it seems to be impossible to find now but surely someone here must have seen it. If so, how was it? Was it accurate? Did you like it?

:roll:

The majority of the Parisian dubs have long been available and their quality never improved. Having not seen their dub of this TV special, I still feel safe in saying it was almost certainly not any better.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote:No recordings circulate, to my knowledge
And that's why I want to kick the ass of whoever produced the scandinavian releases. Seriously, they released movies 1-9 and Trunks and Bardock specials but not this GT special? Something's fishy here...

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:47 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I seen it when it aired on Toonami UK all those years ago. Kicking myself not not recording it though, that ad is pretty much all that can be found of the special.

I didn't think much of the voice acting back then but from the snippets I remember it was on par with most of the Big Green dub acting... so not very good. Can't say about its accuracy either as I don't remember the dialogue specifically. I remember liking it and immediately looking for DVDs online, suffice to say the Funi dub is the only one that would ever be available.

Hm, sounds pretty standard then.

Any chance you saw the Big Green Dub of Dragon Ball Movies 2 and 3, too?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:38 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:I'm curious if this dub was actually good because it seems to be impossible to find now but surely someone here must have seen it. If so, how was it? Was it accurate? Did you like it?

:roll:

The majority of the Parisian dubs have long been available and their quality never improved. Having not seen their dub of this TV special, I still feel safe in saying it was almost certainly not any better.
You are actually right about the quality of this dub never improving. I recall David Gasman commenting on his BTVA's page that, if they had known what Dragon Ball was, the dub could have been better.

Here's the original comment:
David Gasman wrote:Yo, I do play some of the games I'm in.
As for Z, none of us knew the series at all when we did it. I bought a ton of eps and watched them after, but it was too late.
We could have been SO MUCH BETTER if we'd known what the hell we we were doing. AB was in a hurry and we kind of just showed up and ripped through them. I'm actually sort of proud that they are even as good they are.

I'd love to do Rayman again.
Thanks for all the love,
David Gasman

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:The majority of the Parisian dubs have long been available and their quality never improved. Having not seen their dub of this TV special, I still feel safe in saying it was almost certainly not any better.
The quality of dubs that used AB Groupe as its source varied in quality, for example the Castillan dub was actually pretty good (imo) with the exception of some weird translations they did on their own (rather than AB's fault).

Blue Water's Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT were based on AB Groupe's content too and they did a really good job, but could have been better.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:21 pm

Content, but not scripts. Since AFAIK French GT never had any cuts and BW GT used a translated Dan Dan and instrumental Hitori Janai, the AB Groupe's involvement might have been invisible if you weren't paying attention to the credits and stuff. BW DB did have the pre-existing French edits, but since AFAIK it didn't use the French script at all the obfuscation was minimal in comparison. And of course, Westwood Z used the Funi scripts throughout its entire run, even when switching to AB Groupe footage for the last few episodes.

As for the Castillan dub, it didn't use the AB Groupe scripts during the whole run (meaning you got Mr. Satan, more references to Kakarot/Kakarotto/Kakalot etc and IIRC Piccolo) but they were still used nonetheless (meaning you got Space Warriors et al)... and even in that respect the other Spain dubs were luckier (well, until Kai and the new Z movies, where the Catalan and Galician (and maybe Basque) dubs kept many of the old terms (like Onda Vital) but the Castellan dub switched to consistently using Saiyen and Kamehameha)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:50 pm

@ Danfun64

Dragon Ball's Blue Water Dub used AB Groupe's DB opening, well, some kind of a translated version of it. However, there's also the UK Dragon Ball Opening which was quite unique in itself.

AB (English / BW)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVrVTinOsBw

AB (French)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfBBbR4Z_RU

AB (Portuguese)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE9Zo1Dh6wA

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:43 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I seen it when it aired on Toonami UK all those years ago. Kicking myself not not recording it though, that ad is pretty much all that can be found of the special.

Hm, sounds pretty standard then.

Any chance you saw the Big Green Dub of Dragon Ball Movies 2 and 3, too?
Unfortunately I don't recall seeing movies 2 and 3. I may have seen 1, but much like the GT special my memory is very hazy on that one.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:47 am

I have seen the GT special when it aired. I had it recorded but last time I went trhough my VHS collection I found out it had been taped over. I remember the part with Goku jr and his pen being pretty funny with the way the VA dubbed the screams. I have seen all the other Dragon ball movies. I have the first one on VHS but currently have no way too get that onto a computer. The only one I cant remember much of is the 3rd dragon ball movie probably due to not recording it. Some day in the future I will go through every single VHS I have and see what is on them might get lucky and find it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:47 pm

Come to think of it, most, if not all of the Z Big Green movies and specials were released on the Danish DVDs. I wonder why the GT special and OG DB movies were only broadcast?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:03 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Come to think of it, most, if not all of the Z Big Green movies and specials were released on the Danish DVDs. I wonder why the GT special and OG DB movies were only broadcast?
Z Movies 1-9 and the TV-Specials 1-2 were released all on DVD but strangely enough, the GT TV-Special and DB Movies 1-3 were TV-only. We've never known if they made a Big Green Dub of Z Movies 10-13 and DB Movie 4 but maybe we'll know one day.