Best VIZ release of the Manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Best VIZ release of the Manga?

Post by NewKakarot » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:03 pm

So, I've never actually collected the full manga series (mainly because I would just go to the library to get them temporarily whenever I felt like revisiting)

I've kinda wanted to get a printed run for my own shelf, but I can't decide which. I tried looking at my options in the Kanzenshuu guides, but they only show the Japanese versions in their guide sections (or maybe I just didn't look in the right spot). The reviews and comparisons I found on YouTube were all poorly made, so I was hoping some other users would be able to bring up the pros and cons of each releases to determine which would be best for me or anyone else who wants a set (based on quality, censorship, translation, etc). I also feel like the manga release needs more attention, as all I typically see is people discuss the anime's home releases. Hopefully this helps out.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Best VIZ release of the Manga?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:24 pm

NewKakarot wrote:So, I've never actually collected the full manga series (mainly because I would just go to the library to get them temporarily whenever I felt like revisiting)

I've kinda wanted to get a printed run for my own shelf, but I can't decide which. I tried looking at my options in the Kanzenshuu guides, but they only show the Japanese versions in their guide sections (or maybe I just didn't look in the right spot). The reviews and comparisons I found on YouTube were all poorly made, so I was hoping some other users would be able to bring up the pros and cons of each releases to determine which would be best for me or anyone else who wants a set (based on quality, censorship, translation, etc). I also feel like the manga release needs more attention, as all I typically see is people discuss the anime's home releases. Hopefully this helps out.
I am currently collecting the manga myself, and have so far been doing it with the Jump Graphic Novels which are basically the equivalent of the Tankobon release in Japan. The main difference between these and the Japanese books is obviously the color of the front and back covers and the split of the Viz volumes into 16 for the Dragon Ball half and 26 for the DBZ half while naming them those in the same way the anime does.

As far as what to go with i would break it down like this, depending on which release offers the best overall reading format to you.

Graphic Novels (English Tankobon)

Pros: Good paper quality, less censored compared to other editions

Cons: May take time to collect entire run, no color pages (same as Japanese release)

VizBigs

Pros: Great paper quality, most color chapters from original Jump run and Kanzenban

Cons: Unwieldy size, some original color chapters in black in white, may have weak binding, more edits than other editions

3 in 1's

Pros: Cheap price, uniform with no DB/Z split, Kanzenban art

Cons: Poor paper quality, ink bleeding on some pages, might be more edited
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:02 pm

I will go with the original release. They are the least censored although recent editions may be edited. Viz Bigs are fine but feel bulky. As it's been stated the three in ones are just poor quality. I was tempted to buy them but they feel kind of cheap.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:32 pm

It isn't a complete run, but I want to give a shout-out to the Full Colours. In addition the the colouring making the artwork look beautiful, as far as I'm aware it's is the only release anywhere that matches the size of the original Shonen Jump publications in the 80s and 90s.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:43 pm

I actually do have the first volume of the 3-in-1 set, but yeah, the paper quality isn't very good. I'm also not a fan of the lack of color pages. The colored chapters really stick out in a bad way because they're reduced to grey-scale, and the details become unclear. I think I might go for the VizBigs instead, even with the edits it may have.

Also, any specific examples of how they're edited? Like, with Mr. Popo's lips, covering up Bulma, middle-fingers, etc?
KBABZ wrote:It isn't a complete run, but I want to give a shout-out to the Full Colours. In addition the the colouring making the artwork look beautiful, as far as I'm aware it's is the only release anywhere that matches the size of the original Shonen Jump publications in the 80s and 90s.
Oh yeah, it's unfortunate that it never got a complete run. I guess it's never too late for the Androids and Buu arcs, but tbh I prefer the original art with less/ no color. Not sure why, I guess I'm just so used to it not being in full-color?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:24 pm

NewKakarot wrote:
KBABZ wrote:It isn't a complete run, but I want to give a shout-out to the Full Colours. In addition the the colouring making the artwork look beautiful, as far as I'm aware it's is the only release anywhere that matches the size of the original Shonen Jump publications in the 80s and 90s.
Oh yeah, it's unfortunate that it never got a complete run. I guess it's never too late for the Androids and Buu arcs, but tbh I prefer the original art with less/ no color. Not sure why, I guess I'm just so used to it not being in full-color?
I getcha, it isn't how it was originally drawn and published after all! I personally prefer full-colour because not only does it look purty, but for a lot of the more detailed scenes it really helps clarify what's the ground, the mountains, smoke, etc at a quick glance, so there's more emphasis on the composition and placement rather than figuring out what everything in the background actually is.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:52 am

That's easy, the Full Color mangas! But the problem is that Viz takes an eternity to release it so you might have to pick another edition.

If you know Spanish, they've released all or almost all of the Full Color volumes. I do but I'd rather just have it in English for convenience.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:57 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:That's easy, the Full Color mangas! But the problem is that Viz takes an eternity to release it so you might have to pick another edition.

If you know Spanish, they've released all or almost all of the Full Color volumes. I do but I'd rather just have it in English for convenience.
As it doesn't look like they will be finishing the Full Colors' release anytime soon i will keep on with collecting the Grapic Novels/English Tankobon for the time being.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:34 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:If you know Spanish, they've released all or almost all of the Full Color volumes. I do but I'd rather just have it in English for convenience.
I do know Spanish, but even so I don't think getting all of those would be very easy. And I'm much more comfortable reading in English. But thanks for the tip, I didn't think they got the Full Color series there lol

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:42 pm

Excluding the Fullcolors, Vizbigs are the best they have great paper quality, large panels, color pages, and they also come with the author notes and chapter art if that's right terminology for it.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:18 pm

I'm just gonna go with the VizBigs. The classic color pages are a huge selling point to me. Biggest gripe (aside from the basically unavoidable censorship) is that I'll miss out on the Spine Art. All they have are a bunch of Goku pics on both the spine and covers. But oh well. Thanks guys!

I guess opinions could still be shared here for other people looking to buy manga in the future.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:54 pm

Quick update: I ordered a few VIZBIGs (Dragon Ball 2-4). Skipped vol. 1 because I have 3-in-1 vol. 1 as a stand in for now. I'll replace it later.

Though now that I think about it, I should've gotten it for a direct comparison lol. Oh well.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:16 pm

NewKakarot wrote:Quick update: I ordered a few VIZBIGs (Dragon Ball 2-4). Skipped vol. 1 because I have 3-in-1 vol. 1 as a stand in for now. I'll replace it later.

Though now that I think about it, I should've gotten it for a direct comparison lol. Oh well.
That's great! I have all the VizBigs and they are great to read. I don't find them too bulky and while the censorship is annoying. It's hard to find the regular volumes with less censorship because it varies with each print as far as I know.

For Z, I would recommend getting the Full Colors and then finishing off the Cell and Buu with VizBigs.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:29 pm

TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:For Z, I would recommend getting the Full Colors and then finishing off the Cell and Buu with VizBigs.
Pretty good idea, but I'm just not into the Full Colors. They're nice, but I prefer the way it was originally colored (or, not colored, mostly). Plus I think they might be a bit pricier than just going for the VizBigs, and I'm cheap lol

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:45 pm

NewKakarot wrote:
TheKingOfKamehamehas wrote:For Z, I would recommend getting the Full Colors and then finishing off the Cell and Buu with VizBigs.
Pretty good idea, but I'm just not into the Full Colors. They're nice, but I prefer the way it was originally colored (or, not colored, mostly). Plus I think they might be a bit pricier than just going for the VizBigs, and I'm cheap lol
The Full Colours cost a bloody fortune, and given that even if they'd started putting Cell out this year on schedule they wouldn't be finishing the run until at least 2028, I don't think it's a release that's worth any attention unless you're a serious, hardcore collector willing to drop top doller on crap like that.

VizBigs are the cheapest release, and for what they contain they're the best non-Full Colour release, so IMO it's kind of a no-brainer that the VizBigs are the manga release to go for.

Well... That is, assuming you want to buy a release. It would, of course, be much cheaper to get the $2/month Shounen Jump service from Viz, which includes all of Dragon Ball, though in black and white. Though apparently it uses the earliest print masters from the individual volumes, so it's got the most minimal censorship you can get in the Dragon Ball manga.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:48 pm

The Full Color comics are pricey but we've got to remember it's a premium product, the paper quality is fantastic and the pages all in color look absolutely magnificent. I just find it hard to buy them right now cause Viz is taking way too long.

I don't want to buy the Freeza arc and then wait a year or more for the Cell arc. And then wait yet again for Majin Boo's arc and not to forget, the Boyhood arc.

Seriously, Viz should either speed it up or cancel as this is just a tease leaving fans not knowing when we can expect more of Full Color comics.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:51 pm

I would say the Full Colors but Viz cancelled that :(

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:17 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Well... That is, assuming you want to buy a release. It would, of course, be much cheaper to get the $2/month Shounen Jump service from Viz, which includes all of Dragon Ball, though in black and white. Though apparently it uses the earliest print masters from the individual volumes, so it's got the most minimal censorship you can get in the Dragon Ball manga.
I do have that Shonen Jump subscription, but they lack the colored chapters. I like the convenience of digital, but I would prefer having it physically

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:23 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:I would say the Full Colors but Viz cancelled that :(
It wasn't cancelled, they're just taking too long.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:51 pm

It's been 2 years since they finished the Frieza arc. But I did some quick research and saw that they also took 2 years to release them after the Saiyan arc. So maybe they take 2 year breaks in between? No idea why they would do that, but maybe they'll start the Androids Arc this year.

Even so, that'll take a while. And then it would likely be another 2 years for the Boo Arc. I wouldn't want to wait so long.