Best VIZ release of the Manga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Best VIZ release of the Manga?

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:51 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:The Full Color comics are pricey but we've got to remember it's a premium product, the paper quality is fantastic and the pages all in color look absolutely magnificent. I just find it hard to buy them right now cause Viz is taking way too long.

I don't want to buy the Freeza arc and then wait a year or more for the Cell arc. And then wait yet again for Majin Boo's arc and not to forget, the Boyhood arc.

Seriously, Viz should either speed it up or cancel as this is just a tease leaving fans not knowing when we can expect more of Full Color comics.
That's the issue. At this point, I'd be surprised if they finish the run in the next ten years, so in my opinion, it's just not a product worth investing in.
NewKakarot wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Well... That is, assuming you want to buy a release. It would, of course, be much cheaper to get the $2/month Shounen Jump service from Viz, which includes all of Dragon Ball, though in black and white. Though apparently it uses the earliest print masters from the individual volumes, so it's got the most minimal censorship you can get in the Dragon Ball manga.
I do have that Shonen Jump subscription, but they lack the colored chapters. I like the convenience of digital, but I would prefer having it physically
That's fair. If you prefer print and/or want colour, VizBigs are the way to go. You made a solid choice. :)
NewKakarot wrote:It's been 2 years since they finished the Frieza arc. But I did some quick research and saw that they also took 2 years to release them after the Saiyan arc. So maybe they take 2 year breaks in between? No idea why they would do that, but maybe they'll start the Androids Arc this year.

Even so, that'll take a while. And then it would likely be another 2 years for the Boo Arc. I wouldn't want to wait so long.
I calculated this a while back...
At the rate Viz put these things out, I estimated that without any additional hiatuses(Like we've been in for the past half-year :lolno:), they wouldn't have the whole run out until 2028.

Given Cell didn't begin releasing in 2018, though, and given we have no announcement yet, I imagine the earliest we'll see Cell begin is 2020. That pushes my entire predictive schedule back 2 years, putting the end of the run to 2030, or if they decide not to release the Boyhood and Piccolo volumes, then 2026, with the release of the last Boo volume. Though technically speaking, it'd more likely be very early 2027(As in like January), given their established pattern.

I imagine if Viz do indeed decide to finish Full Colour, they'll be taking their time to figure out a way to get it relased on a more sensible timeframe(Apparently the main hold-up all along has been Shueisha dragging their feet on the licensing). Perhaps they'll release them in sets of two arcs; Cell in 2020-2021, Boyhood & Piccolo in 2023-2024.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:30 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I imagine if Viz do indeed decide to finish Full Colour, they'll be taking their time to figure out a way to get it relased on a more sensible timeframe(Apparently the main hold-up all along has been Shueisha dragging their feet on the licensing). Perhaps they'll release them in sets of two arcs; Cell in 2020-2021, Boyhood & Piccolo in 2023-2024.
I imagine that a particular issue holding them back is that their release of the Full Colors is quite a lot larger than when it was released in Japan. Not sure it justifies waiting around like it's the new Duke Nukem Forever, though.

TenshinFan
Beyond Newbie

Post by TenshinFan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:33 pm

I think vols 1 and 9 are the only ones with any major censorship. Correct me if I'm wrong. The red tankobon with the old, non-square, viz logo is the way to go for those. For the rest VizBigs

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:48 pm

Just got my VizBigs in the mail (just DB 2-4 for now). Do like the quality so far, but I've been told the binding is weak so I'll be cautious while reading them. I might start listing the censorship they have for people who may want that sort of info. Overall, from what I'm seeing it's not butchered to the point where they aren't enjoyable. So while it's a shame they're censored, I guess it's not all bad.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:21 pm

NewKakarot wrote:Just got my VizBigs in the mail (just DB 2-4 for now). Do like the quality so far, but I've been told the binding is weak so I'll be cautious while reading them. I might start listing the censorship they have for people who may want that sort of info. Overall, from what I'm seeing it's not butchered to the point where they aren't enjoyable. So while it's a shame they're censored, I guess it's not all bad.
A censorship option for the site would be a nice read, so writing that down might be very helpful!

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:51 pm

So far I've only been looking for specific scenes that I know typically get censored.

Chapter 100, there's the famous scene where Krillin pulls down Bulma's top in order to reveal her boobs, which makes Roshi bleed on the Invisible Man to help Yamcha see him. In the VizBigs, she is given a bra to cover up (which is also in viz.com)

Chapter 114, there's a scene where Tien mocks Roshi's students by saying they're lucky they won't face him in the preliminaries and will be lucky to make the top 8, which prompts Yamcha to give him the middle finger. But in the VizBigs (and viz.com), he only raises a fist.

So far it looks like they have the same bits of censorship throughout. I might order volume 1 soon, so that I can directly compare that with my 3-in-1 edition, which I already had.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:11 am

NewKakarot wrote:So far I've only been looking for specific scenes that I know typically get censored.

Chapter 100, there's the famous scene where Krillin pulls down Bulma's top in order to reveal her boobs, which makes Roshi bleed on the Invisible Man to help Yamcha see him. In the VizBigs, she is given a bra to cover up (which is also in viz.com)

Chapter 114, there's a scene where Tien mocks Roshi's students by saying they're lucky they won't face him in the preliminaries and will be lucky to make the top 8, which prompts Yamcha to give him the middle finger. But in the VizBigs (and viz.com), he only raises a fist.

So far it looks like they have the same bits of censorship throughout. I might order volume 1 soon, so that I can directly compare that with my 3-in-1 edition, which I already had.
Volume one is interesting because visually the newer prints are uncensored but sometime there is older dialogue (Bulma telling Goku he can have to quick feel *of her butt*) and Yamcha talking about not having a Lolita Complex. And sometimes it's the newer dialogue (bulma telling Goku he can have a quick peek)

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:28 am

I hope they do finish at least the rest of the "Z" storyline in the Full Color volumes. It really is a great product and for somewhat older fans like myself, the price point is acceptable for the quality of product we are receiving. I never bought the manga before so the Full Color version really is the best way to go for me. But like everyone else I wish they would release more of it, or at least make an announcement that more is coming soon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:39 am

obiwan23s wrote:I hope they do finish at least the rest of the "Z" storyline in the Full Color volumes. It really is a great product and for somewhat older fans like myself, the price point is acceptable for the quality of product we are receiving. I never bought the manga before so the Full Color version really is the best way to go for me. But like everyone else I wish they would release more of it, or at least make an announcement that more is coming soon.
At this point I'd appreciate an announcement that it's cancelled! The complete unknown on the status of Full Colour is what kills me the most!

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:56 pm

Sadly the most recent 3-in-1 editions is the best release thus far. It's the only version that contains the proper title throughout with all of the proper chapter numbers. I say "sadly" because it also claims to be "uncut and uncensored" despite a few of panels still be edited for content and their insistence of referring to Mr. Satan as "Hercule."

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:00 pm

I find their censorship decisions to be strange. In the first 3-in-1, they keep Bulma's boobs uncensored (more specifically in her shower scene), but when she's supposed to be giving Pilaf the middle finger, they edited it to be her index instead. That makes no sense to me, it's rated T for Teens. I would've figured they were gonna edit the boobs and keep the middle finger, but they did the opposite.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:41 pm

NewKakarot wrote:I find their censorship decisions to be strange. In the first 3-in-1, they keep Bulma's boobs uncensored (more specifically in her shower scene), but when she's supposed to be giving Pilaf the middle finger, they edited it to be her index instead. That makes no sense to me, it's rated T for Teens. I would've figured they were gonna edit the boobs and keep the middle finger, but they did the opposite.
I really don't get that, it seems there is no rhyme or reason to the stuff that they have or haven't edited over the years.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:49 pm

obiwan23s wrote:I hope they do finish at least the rest of the "Z" storyline in the Full Color volumes. It really is a great product and for somewhat older fans like myself, the price point is acceptable for the quality of product we are receiving. I never bought the manga before so the Full Color version really is the best way to go for me. But like everyone else I wish they would release more of it, or at least make an announcement that more is coming soon.
The rest of the Z storyline would take them more than half-way there. If they finish the Z storyline and just stop there, then that would be the goddamn worst.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:43 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
The rest of the Z storyline would take them more than half-way there. If they finish the Z storyline and just stop there, then that would be the goddamn worst.
Agreed. As much as I love reading the Z portion, the end-goal is to support them long enough for them to get to Kid Goku. It's so weird: the files still exist, and the translation does too; the only thing that really changes is the formatting of the text itself.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:58 pm

So, today I finally learned about the Dragon Ball Digest Edition release (aka the Soshuhen release). These are pretty much the original chapters as they appeared in the series' original Weekly Shonen Jump run. There's even a page about them in the main site: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/digest/

Haven't seen myself, but based on the description, they're amazing! It's like the Kanzenbans, but better. And here we are, stuck with the Viz releases like a bunch of peasants. Stuff like this almost makes me wish I was Japanese. But only almost.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:07 pm

NewKakarot wrote:So, today I finally learned about the Dragon Ball Digest Edition release (aka the Soshuhen release). These are pretty much the original chapters as they appeared in the series' original Weekly Shonen Jump run. There's even a page about them in the main site: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/digest/

Haven't seen myself, but based on the description, they're amazing! It's like the Kanzenbans, but better. And here we are, stuck with the Viz releases like a bunch of peasants. Stuff like this almost makes me wish I was Japanese. But only almost.
I personally am partial to Full Colour (what a surprise): colour, and it's in the Shonen Jump size!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:28 pm

NewKakarot wrote:So, today I finally learned about the Dragon Ball Digest Edition release (aka the Soshuhen release). These are pretty much the original chapters as they appeared in the series' original Weekly Shonen Jump run. There's even a page about them in the main site: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/digest/

I have the full set and they're awesome! only downside it I wish they were hard cover like the delux Akira set but the price per volume was a steal! one downside is they used the newer ending and Gohans age is the tankobon revised and sometimes the extra coloring is not 100% accurate to the original weekly jumps

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:51 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:I have the full set and they're awesome! only downside it I wish they were hard cover like the delux Akira set but the price per volume was a steal! one downside is they used the newer ending and Gohans age is the tankobon revised and sometimes the extra coloring is not 100% accurate to the original weekly jumps
May I ask how much they cost you? I probably wouldn't get them because I can't read Japanese, but they still sound really cool. Wish Viz would give us one of those.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:59 pm

NewKakarot wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:I have the full set and they're awesome! only downside it I wish they were hard cover like the delux Akira set but the price per volume was a steal! one downside is they used the newer ending and Gohans age is the tankobon revised and sometimes the extra coloring is not 100% accurate to the original weekly jumps
May I ask how much they cost you? I probably wouldn't get them because I can't read Japanese, but they still sound really cool. Wish Viz would give us one of those.
I think they're out of print now, but shipping to US was about 12 per volume. I wish viz did too, this is what the 3in1s should have been

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:14 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:I think they're out of print now, but shipping to US was about 12 per volume.
Looked them up on ebay out of curiosity. They're listed at ~$25-30 (with shipping). Eh, not too bad considering they're imports.