Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:15 pm

How about we blame the sixty year old for not being able to keep his hands to himself over a fifteen year period rathernthan make the victims out to be liars and opportunists.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:17 pm

Look, sometimes good people do bad things. Is Vic the scum of the earth? Is he a worthless man? Did he fully intend to cause every bit of suffering and hurt he has caused? Most likely, no. He's no Hitler, he's no Stalin, he's no Bundy, he's no Bin Laden...you could easily make an argument that he's a great and talented guy.

But he still has a 16+ year record of interacting with under-age girls in a completely inappropriate way; he's still hurt people; and the victims of his behavior (and that's what they are; victims) have still been hurt in ways that should never have happened to them.

Ergo, he still has to go. There needs to be consequences for his behavior; that's just the bottom line.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:20 pm

Scsigs wrote:And, he just brought up that SOME users on Facebook falsified evidence. He even quotes the owner of that group from those screenshots a few pages back.
One user suggested faking evidence, and even then that woman claims she doesn't have a Facebook account. From how it's worded, why would you even believe it?

The whole "What?! I thought we were supposed to be faking evidence!" And "Good idea! Let's make him look like Hitler!" It doesn't sound like someone who hates Vic, they're probably a fan of his stirring trouble, and the fact that they leaked the discussion with their name not blacked out makes it more obvious.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:23 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Scsigs wrote:And, he just brought up that SOME users on Facebook falsified evidence. He even quotes the owner of that group from those screenshots a few pages back.
One user suggested faking evidence, and even then that woman claims she doesn't have a Facebook account. From how it's worded, why would you even believe it?

The whole "What?! I thought we were supposed to be faking evidence!" And "Good idea! Let's make him look like Hitler!" It doesn't sound like someone who hates Vic, they're probably a fan of his stirring trouble, and the fact that they leaked the discussion with their name not blacked out makes it more obvious.
Could be, yeah.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:24 pm

It is not acceptable for Vignogna and Taberkorn to be in fandom spaces like cons or events. That's all that matters at this point.
She/Her
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:28 pm

And I'm not even saying that an initial skeptical reaction is bad. I myself, not being familiar with the general anime community let alone the convention scene, only really knew about the religious zealotry and homophobia accusations and when I saw that first tweet pop up a few weeks ago my initial reaction was "Well isn't that convenient :roll: ." But after doing just a small amount of reading about this situation and listening to the accounts of dedicated fans, voice actors, and victims, how can you still be at this stage? It's knuckle-dragging stupidity at best
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:31 pm

I just want to say that I'm not looking for trouble from anyone so if you bother trying to fight with me you're going to be disappointed lol I just want someone to feel me in on WHAT WE KNOW TO BE 100% TRUE. Are there good videos I can watch etc etc? I'm honestly afraid to say anything because I know so little about what's going on... :?
I do want to say I do find it hard to believe that all these people (How many are there exactly?) would be lying just to ruin his career and have a laugh. Surely you'd want to go after someone like Chris or Sean right? I wont call the people liars. The only cases I ever find funny is when someone is running for political stuff and then someone or some people come out against them at that moment seems odd to me.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:33 pm

Banning them from fandom spaces is really the lightest of punishnents, too. Even if they were tried and convicted it would still be inappropriate to inhibit their ability to work, outside of restricting them from being around minors. If FUNimation wants to keep them around that is up to them, unless on-grounds abuse can be proven.
She/Her
bisexual milf

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:58 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Banning them from fandom spaces is really the lightest of punishnents, too. Even if they were tried and convicted it would still be inappropriate to inhibit their ability to work, outside of restricting them from being around minors. If FUNimation wants to keep them around that is up to them, unless on-grounds abuse can be proven.
Yeah this makes sense. Even if their intentions aren't malicious, if they are making people uncomfortable that would probably be fore the best at this point.
jjgp1112 wrote:And I'm not even saying that an initial skeptical reaction is bad. I myself, not being familiar with the general anime community let alone the convention scene, only really knew about the religious zealotry and homophobia accusations and when I saw that first tweet pop up a few weeks ago my initial reaction was "Well isn't that convenient :roll: ." But after doing just a small amount of reading about this situation and listening to the accounts of dedicated fans, voice actors, and victims, how can you still be at this stage? It's knuckle-dragging stupidity at best
samuraix123 wrote:I just want to say that I'm not looking for trouble from anyone so if you bother trying to fight with me you're going to be disappointed lol I just want someone to feel me in on WHAT WE KNOW TO BE 100% TRUE. Are there good videos I can watch etc etc? I'm honestly afraid to say anything because I know so little about what's going on... :?
I do want to say I do find it hard to believe that all these people (How many are there exactly?) would be lying just to ruin his career and have a laugh. Surely you'd want to go after someone like Chris or Sean right? I wont call the people liars. The only cases I ever find funny is when someone is running for political stuff and then someone or some people come out against them at that moment seems odd to me.
Yeah, I agree, the number of people complaining proves there a problem. But I keep seeing things from the victims that are kind of weird. For example, Monica (Bulma's VA) just days before the incident started, commented on one of Vic's tweets saying she had a great time with him, and then a few days later she goes on bashing him and said she was one of his victims. I don't know about you guys, but if I was a sexual assault victim I would not be posting on the assualters tweets saying how much fun I had with them. If anything that reinforces their behavior. Just imagine if you did go around getting close with women, but then those women keep telling you how much they liked being with you, and then all of a sudden all the women from your past came out that they never actually liked it and you were a terrible person. That would be confusing. Many predators, or people who step over boundaries don't actually think they are terrible people or doing wrong, and when people don't stand up for themselves in person it just feeds into their behavior. If someone steps over the line, you need to be clear with them, and don't pretend like you are friends until others join your cause and attack him on twitter. Just to be clear, I'm not victim blaming or saying it's not Vics fault, but lets be honest, when someone is making you uncomfortable it's better to let them know in case they don't realize it, and you shouldn't pretend like you are their friend and then stab them in the back. Treat predators like predators, and treat friends like friends.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:04 pm

dragon boss z wrote:Many predators, or people who step over boundaries don't actually think they are terrible people or doing wrong, and when people don't stand up for themselves in person it just feeds into their behavior. If someone steps over the line, you need to be clear with them, and don't pretend like you are friends until others join your cause and attack him on twitter.
Monica WAS clear with him; and he still continued. This shouldn't be news to him.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Banning them from fandom spaces is really the lightest of punishments, too. Even if they were tried and convicted it would still be inappropriate to inhibit their ability to work, outside of restricting them from being around minors. If FUNimation wants to keep them around that is up to them, unless on-grounds abuse can be proven.
The problem is also that these guys are also involved with certain dubs. Mignognia has been voicing Broly for years now, as well as being the voice of Sabo in One Piece & Haberkorn is the voice of Natsu in Fairy Tail, as well as being Jaco. Considering how well-established these guys are for these things, it would also be a matter of FUNi giving up a consistent actor for these roles. Vic is interesting, as FUNi isn't dubbing One Piece right now &, depending on when Sabo appears next, they might take the time to find a voice double.
Haberkorn is different. Fairy Tail Season 3 is currently being put together & FUNi is probably dubbing it, since they already have released trailers for it. Haberkorn is most likely contracted to be in the dub of it, which they'll mostly likely keep, since they like to keep consistency unless forced not to. Jaco is also in Dragon Ball material for the rest of Super & is probably going to appear in future DB material depending on how Toriyama wants to use him. The voice is also very unique, so I don't think that they'll replace him. Also, have the allegations against him been proven to be true? I haven't heard anything on it outside of here, so it doesn't seem like it.

Cancelling con appearances & others is them, or the people running the cons, wanting to be separate from the situation & having it deflate for a bit. Honestly, it's the best option. However, firing them is nothing more than cutting them off from revenue in the only work they get a lot of their income from. Unless these allegations are 100% proven, anything more than those is something I think is going a bit far. However, if the allegations are proven to be true, I'd understand firings & cutting ties.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:12 pm

You have one person claiming you sexually harassed them then yeah like I can get siding with Vic in that instance. But when it gets to the point we're nearing 50+ accusations then at that point it's obvious he's done something to warrant such a reaction.

It's not like 50 girls just call you inappropriate for being a dude at cons. I've been at cons for many years and never had anything weird like this accused at me, surely not 50+ at that.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:13 pm

Scsigs wrote:The problem is also that these guys are also involved with certain dubs...
That should not be the priority, here.
Scsigs wrote:Unless these allegations are 100% proven, anything more than those is something I think is going a bit far. However, if the allegations are proven to be true, I'd understand firings & cutting ties.
I said it before, and I'll say it again; that's never going to happen. Sexual assault is such that it's next to impossible to ever prove anything for certain. It would be irresponsible to withhold judgment just for that reason.
Last edited by Fionordequester on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:13 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:Many predators, or people who step over boundaries don't actually think they are terrible people or doing wrong, and when people don't stand up for themselves in person it just feeds into their behavior. If someone steps over the line, you need to be clear with them, and don't pretend like you are friends until others join your cause and attack him on twitter.
Monica WAS clear with him; and he still continued. This shouldn't be news to him.
Oh I agree, though we have to take her word she was clear with him and we don't know exactly what she said in what scenario. What we do know for a fact is she said she had a great time with him in response to one of his tweets, and then a few days later went on a tirade about his behavior. If she really had that much of a problem with him she probably shouldn't be going out of her way to say how she had a good time with him, unless the assault took place in-between her tweets, which is unlikely do to them being only a few days apart. It would be one thing if she had no idea he was a predator, and then she started bashing him once she learned the news and felt betrayed, that would make 100% sense. But she seemingly new the whole time and was pretending to be his friend? That just doesn't seem right.
Last edited by dragon boss z on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:14 pm

dragon boss z wrote: Yeah, I agree, the number of people complaining proves there a problem. But I keep seeing things from the victims that are kind of weird. For example, Monica (Bulma's VA) just days before the incident started, commented on one of Vic's tweets saying she had a great time with him, and then a few days later she goes on bashing him and said she was one of his victims. I don't know about you guys, but if I was a sexual assault victim I would not be posting on the assualters tweets saying how much fun I had with them. If anything that reinforces their behavior. Just imagine if you did go around getting close with women, but then those women keep telling you how much they liked being with you, and then all of a sudden all the women from your past came out that they never actually liked it and you were a terrible person. That would be confusing. Many predators, or people who step over boundaries don't actually think they are terrible people or doing wrong, and when people don't stand up for themselves in person it just feeds into their behavior. If someone steps over the line, you need to be clear with them, and don't pretend like you are friends until others join your cause and attack him on twitter. Just to be clear, I'm not victim blaming or saying it's not Vics fault, but lets be honest, when someone is making you uncomfortable it's better to let them know in case they don't realize it, and you shouldn't pretend like you are their friend and then stab them in the back. Treat predators like predators, and treat friends like friends.
A valid point, but the other thing you have to consider is that Monica's a professional and likely wanted to keep her issues with Vic behind closed doors, and she eveidently addressed him on it before. But regardless, she and others were trying to promote a movie and when it comes to doing their jobs, many people will put on their best happy face and make it seem like everything is fine to the public even if they can't stand each other. Controversy's a distraction. But she and others had gotten harassed by crazy fans enough that she had to break her silence.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:17 pm

dragon boss z wrote:Oh I agree, though we have to take her word she was clear with him and we don't know exactly what she said in what scenario. What we do know for a fact is she said she had a great time with him in response to one of his tweets, and then a few days later went on a tirade about his behavior. If she really had that much of a problem with him she probably shouldn't be going out of her way to say how she had a good time with him, unless the assault took place in-between her tweets, which is unlikely do to them being only a few days apart. It would be one thing if she had no idea he was a predator, and then she started bashing him once she learned the news and felt betrayed, that would make 100% sense. But she seemingly new the whole time and was pretending to be his friend? That just doesn't seem right.
That's called being a professional. Of course she's not going to call him out in front of a live audience; she's going to paint the best picture she can of until she's 100% certain that he's salvageable. That's what any good friend would do.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:17 pm

JulieYBM wrote:How about we blame the sixty year old for not being able to keep his hands to himself over a fifteen year period rathernthan make the victims out to be liars and opportunists.
it's honest to god so frustrating anytime something comes out about someone sexually abusing someone, most people go "Yea But False Accusations Happens Sometimes (still way less then actual sexual assault) So Clearly Everyone Who Accused Them Is A Liar And Wants To Ruin Their Lives". like no let's please believe victims rather then making excuses for abusers. and ofc a lot of that is just misogyny but yea.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:19 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: A valid point, but the other thing you have to consider is that Monica's a professional and likely wanted to keep her issues with Vic behind closed doors, and she eveidently addressed him on it before. But regardless, she and others were trying to promote a movie and when it comes to doing their jobs, many people will put on their best happy face and make it seem like everything is fine to the public even if they can't stand each other. Controversy's a distraction. But she and others had gotten harassed by crazy fans enough that she had to break her silence.
Yeah you have a point, but I'm just saying even if it's makes money or helps promote something, I'm not sure that's moral justification for being friendly and staying silent with a true sexual predator. Now in this case you could say it's not that bad since it's more of Vic just inappropriately kissing and hugging, but knowing someone is trying to have sex with underage girls or is a full blown rapist and keeping quite, while also saying how much fun you had with them, which would basically tell your fans it's fun to be with him, is not ok.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:22 pm

I'll say there's nothing morally correct about all of these actors being silent for so long.

That said... It's understandable for a few reasons.

1. They'd lose their job and have no money for their families.
2. Dragon Ball is a global thing so to come out and say something would cause a lot of controversy regarding the material.
3. If they did come out there's no telling of people would believe them and it would make things harder on them or even future work.

It's pretty complicated.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:33 pm

My understanding of the situation with Monica and Vic is thus... Vic somehow harassed Monica many years ago. She told him to cut it out. He left her be from that point, but continued to harass others without her knowledge. Thinking he’d cleaned up his act, she was the bigger person and overcame her beef with him until the allegations from other parties came to light. When she became aware that Vic has continued to be a shitbag behind her back, she realised that her forgiveness was misplaced. Nothing in this version of events contradicts her being professional and courteous with him in the intervening period.