Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:38 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote:My understanding of the situation with Monica and Vic is thus... Vic somehow harassed Monica many years ago...
Many years ago? I wasn't aware of the time frame; would you mind linking me the post?
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:51 pm

https://twitter.com/MichellMcC73/status ... 37440?s=19

New allegation from twenty-five years ago. Holy fuck. Vignogna is a creep.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:58 pm

Christ-all-fucking-mighty.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:00 pm

JulieYBM wrote:https://twitter.com/MichellMcC73/status ... 37440?s=19

Fucking disgusting.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:04 pm

Shaddy wrote:Christ-all-fucking-mighty.
Hey, let's not bring "Christ" into it. Mignogna's tarnished his name enough.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:18 pm

Yeah no, that's pretty shit. I like his performances but I don't know if I can divorce him from his roles. Dude shouldn't have made it as far as he has.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:18 pm

And again, before anybody tries to raise eyebrows about the timing or her motives, this was her talking about it a little over a year ago:

https://prettyuglylittleliar.net/topic/ ... ent=255652
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:29 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:Yeah no, that's pretty shit. I like his performances but I don't know if I can divorce him from his roles. Dude shouldn't have made it as far as he has.
Well, it'll make his villain roles pretty interesting, in retrospect. Just remember that he's every bit as much of a creep as Old!Broly is, and...there you go. You are now just as disgusted by him as the characters are.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:42 pm

Fionordequester wrote: That's called being a professional. Of course she's not going to call him out in front of a live audience; she's going to paint the best picture she can of until she's 100% certain that he's salvageable. That's what any good friend would do.
She doesn't have to post things on his feed, that has nothing to do with being professional. She can be just as professional by just not saying anything. And a good friend wouldn't be the most avid person on twitter trying to take him down. I have no problem with trying to take a predator down, but I'm just pointing out how it's weird for her to have such a 180 if she says she new he was like this previously. Though Monica most likely doesn't want to talk about it this much but all the attacks she is getting from Vic fans are probably making her retaliate. If what she says is true I support her 100% for speaking out, I'm just saying if she never liked him and knew what he was doing the whole time, she probably shouldn't be acting all buddy buddy, and then stab him in the back right when she has backup.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:46 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:Yeah no, that's pretty shit. I like his performances but I don't know if I can divorce him from his roles. Dude shouldn't have made it as far as he has.
Well, it'll make his villain roles pretty interesting, in retrospect. Just remember that he's every bit as much of a creep as Old!Broly is, and...there you go. You are now just as disgusted by him as the characters are.
Fits him like a glove both are very grabby. Shit ain't right.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:52 pm

dragon boss z wrote:And a good friend wouldn't be the most avid person on twitter trying to take him down..
Actually, they would. I'd do the same as Monica Rial if I found out my best friend was like that.
dragon boss z wrote:I have no problem with trying to take a predator down, but I'm just pointing out how it's weird for her to have such a 180 if she says she new he was like this previously.
I don't find it weird at all. It's perfectly logical to me.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:19 pm

Fionordequester wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:And a good friend wouldn't be the most avid person on twitter trying to take him down..
Actually, they would. I'd do the same as Monica Rial if I found out my best friend was like that.
dragon boss z wrote:I have no problem with trying to take a predator down, but I'm just pointing out how it's weird for her to have such a 180 if she says she new he was like this previously.
I don't find it weird at all. It's perfectly logical to me.
Yeah, it would make sense if she didn't know, but she is making it sound like she knew the whole time. Maybe she just didn't know how bad it was.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:23 pm

dragon boss z wrote:Yeah, it would make sense if she didn't know, but she is making it sound like she knew the whole time. Maybe she just didn't know how bad it was.
That's likely. Most victims of sexual assault are silent, till someone finally gets the ball rolling. 230 out of 1000 are reported, so... it's really not at all unusual.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:33 pm

That longform Twitter post seems pretty hard to not believe. I don't want people crucified for actions from 25 years ago however, not saying its OK, but to fire him from his current job for personality traits he could have easily amended by now seems unfair, similar to the James Gunn firing about that comment from ages ago.

However if this has taken place during his professional time with Funimation which I guess is a very a long time now, then yes he has to go I suppose. A shame he has committed these crimes if true, he had a huge passionate fan base and seemed to be a fun, friendly guy at cons.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:36 pm

If this new allegation had come out before so many voice actors had begun to speak out, I'm not sure what I would have thought. But it coming out now that I've accepted that there's definitely something not quite right - jeebus. :?

This one just takes the cake, it's a far more insidious use of his power than all of the other accusations so far. This one is just...straight up attempted rape. And if it reaches back this far, then it's sadly pretty safe to say that short of not being allowed near conventions (or maybe even recording booths) again, he's not likely to change, he's far too used to getting his own way at this point.

As far as I know all of the people coming forward have been women, and I really, really hate to think that darkly, but uh...has anyone seen any sort of statement from Aaron Dismuke (original English voice of Alphonse Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist, where Vic played his older brother Edward) in regards to all of this? Just wondering what his thoughts on all of this is, or if there was any weird vibes he ever got off of the man, all things considered.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:54 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:If this new allegation had come out before so many voice actors had begun to speak out, I'm not sure what I would have thought.
It did, with somewhat less detail. I immediately recognized her story when I saw it. My first impulse was to ask, "Was this you?" but I felt that would put her more on the spot.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:55 pm

Terez wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:If this new allegation had come out before so many voice actors had begun to speak out, I'm not sure what I would have thought.
It did, with somewhat less detail. I immediately recognized her story when I saw it. My first impulse was to ask, "Was this you?" but I felt that would put her more on the spot.
Oh, I saw that part. I should have spoken more clearly - I meant if it had come out here, and been brought to my attention as a result, prior to having accepted the other stories, I'm not sure how I'd have reacted.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:02 pm

JulieYBM wrote:https://twitter.com/MichellMcC73/status ... 37440?s=19

Jesus, why people still defend this guy is beyond me.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:17 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:As far as I know all of the people coming forward have been women, and I really, really hate to think that darkly, but uh...has anyone seen any sort of statement from Aaron Dismuke (original English voice of Alphonse Elric in Fullmetal Alchemist, where Vic played his older brother Edward) in regards to all of this? Just wondering what his thoughts on all of this is, or if there was any weird vibes he ever got off of the man, all things considered.
Hmm? What's wrong with asking that question?

Anyway, he probably wouldn't know any more than we do. Lots of folks record in separate booths when they record; he might not have even HAD any contact with Mignogna, far as we know.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:26 pm

Alright everyone, let's get our ducks in a row. What's all the evidence we have so far? Here's my very in complete list of what has been gathered...
Only 230 out of 1000 Sexual Assaults are Reported (also gives reasons for why that is):
https://www.rainn.org/statistics/crimin ... ice-system

Relevant excerpts from "Illia Sadri": A long time con staff member
(https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/ph ... &start=105)

Tempet: ANN Publisher & CEO
(https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/ph ... &start=120)

More Relevant Excerpts reaching as far back as 2011:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/20 ... s/67872530
https://hetalia-wank.livejournal.com/31 ... 71#t115571
http://vicmeggnognahorrorstories.tumblr ... /%20Creepy

Photoshopping Claim is False (note how Valerie Dave's name was NOT blanked out when this was leaked):
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 01/1cb.jpg
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 03/fcf.jpg
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 05/ab1.jpg

"Valerie Depa" FB Account was Stolen from Someone Else to Smear "KickVic":
https://www.deviantart.com/laundrysoapm ... -784600047
Anything anyone wants to add to this?