Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by TheNingen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:22 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
TheNingen wrote:why nothing was done behind closed doors.
Because they could keep trucking along without causing a ruckus.
TheNingen wrote:Why Funimation let it go on.
Because they could keep trucking along without causing a ruckus.
TheNingen wrote:Why Monica flirted with Vic and was so overly playful.
Have you never been cordial and professional to a colleague that you didn't get along with? Didn't like? Had an extremely poor experience with?

Women who "cause problems" are regularly denied work and passed over. Out of self-preservation, many will bite their tongue and play along. It sucks. It's awful. It happens.
TheNingen wrote:If Vic was just openly sexually assaulting people and it was known, Funi SHOULD have terminated him then and there. Especially if there's a history of it.
Yes, absolutely...? Like, we all totally agree on this...?

The first two are not viable excuses. And so again, they are just as responsible of a party to this and are equally as accountable. Also...cordial and professional to the point of.....being flirty? With someone that you're afraid of? And hate? Having a poor experience and not liking someone or not getting along with them is not the same as being sexually assaulted by them. And I especially would not be flirty with someone who sexually accused me. Professional or cordial or not. Monica has been shown to have a bad habit of doing whatever she wants and not listening to counsel. Her lawyer says she should stay off Twitter, she does it anyway and keeps engaging with people who she's been advised not to.

As for the last quote, yes, we agree. So I don't understand your problem here. In this case, it wouldn't have been Monica "causing a problem." It wouldn't have been anyone "causing a problem." But instead they joked about it. They made fun of it. But they did nothing more than that. Sean, Sonny, Chris, Monica, they're ALL guilty of it. They are just as much as a part of the problem here. Again, this has been grossly mishandled and both sides. I'm not sure why that's not something you can accept, and it's all that I'm saying here.
Last edited by TheNingen on Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:23 pm

TheNingen wrote: It really isn't. If I knew you in real life and you did something to upset me, I can just say you sexually assaulted me and we roll the ball from there.

Yeah, no, statistically false allegations of sexual misconduct are few and far between. Instances where these actually go to trial are even rarer. There is a reason for the shift toward believing women and victims because the processes we have in place are actively hostile toward them, especially in the workplace.
TheNingen wrote:Then the burden of proof is on me.
If you're talking about some behind closed doors internal company process .. maybe?, but legally the burden remains with the prosecution.
TheNingen wrote: Again, plenty of people find it suspect in how overly playful Monica has acted with Vic, and how flirty she's been, and then suddenly he's this horrendous monster that she's been terrified to say anything about.
Yup, uhuh, victim blaming ... gross, moving on
TheNingen wrote:the behavior from Monica and Jamie has been just as toxic as the side defending Vic.
Yeah, not buying it. A bunch of moron kids sticking their noses where it doesn't belong aren't owed an ounce of civility.
TheNingen wrote: So please don't get on a high horse and act like you're explaining a concept I don't understand. I've been through this shit personally. I get it. And I understand it. That's why I had proof of my encounter with the person who tried to damage my life and showed her true colors.
You absolutely do not get it. What you went through is so statistically insignificant that it borders on non-existence. You can't then extrapolate that to all instances of sexual assault allegations. I do feel badly for you though, because whatever you went through must have been awful for you to come out the other side as this horrible person that thinks it appropriate to comb through the public profile of a victim in the hopes of finding a crack in her story.

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheNingen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:31 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
TheNingen wrote: It really isn't. If I knew you in real life and you did something to upset me, I can just say you sexually assaulted me and we roll the ball from there.

Yeah, no, statistically false allegations of sexual misconduct are few and far between. Instances where these actually go to trial are even rarer. There is a reason for the shift toward believing women and victims because the processes we have in place are actively hostile toward them, especially in the workplace.
TheNingen wrote:Then the burden of proof is on me.
If you're talking about some behind closed doors internal company process .. maybe?, but legally the burden remains with the prosecution.
TheNingen wrote: Again, plenty of people find it suspect in how overly playful Monica has acted with Vic, and how flirty she's been, and then suddenly he's this horrendous monster that she's been terrified to say anything about.
Yup, uhuh, victim blaming ... gross, moving on
TheNingen wrote:the behavior from Monica and Jamie has been just as toxic as the side defending Vic.
Yeah, not buying it. A bunch of moron kids sticking their noses where it doesn't belong aren't owed an ounce of civility.
TheNingen wrote: So please don't get on a high horse and act like you're explaining a concept I don't understand. I've been through this shit personally. I get it. And I understand it. That's why I had proof of my encounter with the person who tried to damage my life and showed her true colors.
You absolutely do not get it. What you went through is so statistically insignificant that it borders on non-existence. You can't then extrapolate that to all instances of sexual assault allegations. I do feel badly for you though, because whatever you went through must have been awful for you to come out the other side as this horrible person that thinks it appropriate to comb through the public profile of a victim in the hopes of finding a crack in her story.
You don't get to assume what I'm doing. Holding people accountable for shitty behavior isn't "victim blaming." You also don't get to tell me what I do and don't get, because you clearly do not get it. Using my anecdote as an excuse to saying I'm extrapolating it to all cases of sexual assault allegations is just so awful petty and disingenuous that I can't help but wonder what seriously is wrong with you. My story served as an example to say I get and understand both sides of the argument. To take that and turn it into something else that I never even did myself is flat out disgusting. There is a difference between being a victim, and playing one. There are signs and reasons. There are people that use controversy to their benefit and exaggerate situations to suit an agenda. I am not discounting every victim of Vic. I am not saying he is innocent of a lot of the behavior he is accused. I *am* saying that I do believe there are people jumping on a bandwagon to garner attention. Jessie Pridemore and Todd Haberkorn come to mind. Sorry we can't agree here. But I'm not going to continue with you further. Take care.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:34 pm

You know what's funny?
Viz and Bang Zoom have not said a thing about all of this.
You'd think there would be a statement from them by now, but nope.
I think they are going to quietly not use Mignogna in the future.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:22 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:Viz and Bang Zoom have not said a thing about all of this.
You'd think there would be a statement from them by now, but nope.
I think they are going to quietly not use Mignogna in the future.
Not only them, SEGA hasn't announced anything about what they are gonna do with Vic.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:45 pm

The only SEGA character I even recall Vic voicing is E-123 Omega, someone wholly irrelevant to the Sonic series currently and who's gone through like five voice actors with most of them sounding the exact same anyway. I'm not even sure anyone would notice if they replaced him.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:12 pm

Shaddy wrote:The only SEGA character I even recall Vic voicing is E-123 Omega, someone wholly irrelevant to the Sonic series currently and who's gone through like five voice actors with most of them sounding the exact same anyway. I'm not even sure anyone would notice if they replaced him.
Nor would anyone probably care. I'd be the only relevant new thing the Sonic franchise has produced since Generations that wasn't a throwback to the Genesis days.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:38 pm

TheNingen wrote:The first two are not viable excuses.
Well yeah of course not, but that's what happened and, guess what, for over a decade that tack worked for the company.
ShadowBardock89 wrote:You know what's funny?
I feel uninformed, how are ViZ involved in this?

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:40 pm

I'm not a fan of "both sides". It's not even comparable in the slightest.

Some people must really think women are out to get them I suppose.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:41 pm

Kokonoe wrote:Some people must really think women are out to get them I suppose.
Them and their comfy status quo. Ugh.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:50 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Well yeah of course not, but that's what happened and, guess what, for over a decade that tack worked for the company.
You know Viz does the English dub of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, right?
Vic Mignogna voices Rohan Kishibe in the series.
Mignogna also voices Obito in the Naruto franchise (also dubbed by Viz).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:59 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Gotcha! Okay, looks like I was confused about ViZ (manga) and Viz (dubbing house), who I hadn't heard about until now!

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:01 pm

KBABZ wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Well yeah of course not, but that's what happened and, guess what, for over a decade that tack worked for the company.

Gotcha! Okay, looks like I was confused about ViZ (manga) and Viz (dubbing house), who I hadn't heard about until now!
Same company: ViZ Media.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:02 pm

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote: You know Viz does the English dub of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, right?
Oh! Well I guess today I learnt that ViZ does manga as well as dubbing.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:23 pm

TheNingen wrote:If I knew you in real life and you did something to upset me, I can just say you sexually assaulted me and we roll the ball from there.
On the flipside, if I knew you in real life and straight-up grabbed your erogenous zones, Donald Trump style, I can just say "Your word against mine, bruh!" and we roll the ball from there.

Now pay attention, because here's where the distinction is super important: the circumstances I just described are way, way, waaaay more common than yours. Sexual assault has been a stupidly widespread problem since antiquity, especially for women. False accusations are so unimaginably scarce in comparison that you might as well not even entertain them in cases as ridiculously corroborated as our old pal Vicky Dicky's here.

Like, dawg, no. Please stop and actually think about this. You're talking about a man consistently outed for sexual misconduct by his own peers, virtually all of his colleagues, women who knew him before his career even took off, fans who have interacted with him privately, the list goes on. Were all of them really hatching a top secret conspiracy from their super secret clubhouse, or are you suggesting that multiple industry professionals only coincidentally decided to spread lies? Is Monica Rial the evil mastermind behind this devious scheme? Were these big bad villains plotting to get poor little Vic fired for over a decade?

Allegations like this don't just pile up out of happenstance, partner. That's not how this works.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:53 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
I completely forgot he voices Rohan. Since HXH is fully dubbed and it has 20 episodes left, JoJo Part 4 is likely completed as well. Sucks Vic is gonna appear on Toonami for the next dozen and a bit weeks...

In regards to replacing his existing roles, Qrow, Broly and Sabo are the big ongoing roles he had which will need redoing. I can see a new Broly debuting in FighterZ DLC if not the BR release of DBS: Broly with a redub of Broly's parts. Thankfully with the current VA talent pool replacing Vic is easy. Edward is the only role of his that would be near impossible to replace, but thankfully no FMA projects are on the horizon.

Have we heard anything more on Haberkorn? His situation reminded me of a fake sexual assault allegation I went through in high school where the only way to prove my innocence was chat logs from the weeks after the alleged event. Albeit my situation didn't involve alcohol so it might not be all similar. Unlike Vic, Todd is a big face for Funimation especially right now with Fairy Tail's final season simuldub and I believe he has a major role in Boruto too. I would appreciate an update since I couldn't find anything on Todd the past 2 dozen pages of the thread.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:41 am

Marlowe89 wrote:Is Monica Rial the evil mastermind behind this devious scheme? Were these big bad villains plotting to get poor little Vic fired for over a decade?.
This is the actual truth though. All of this has been Monica Rial’s neferious plot to steal the role of Broly from Vic. Right now she’s in her evil hideout sitting in her chair stroking the head of her right-hand cat “Soon, soon my precious the role of Broly will be mine and it will be my power that is maximum!”

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:51 am

KBABZ wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: Gotcha! Okay, looks like I was confused about ViZ (manga) and Viz (dubbing house), who I hadn't heard about until now!
Oh! Well I guess today I learnt that ViZ does manga as well as dubbing.
They’re doing the Sailor Moon redub, and Naruto, and Inuyasha (with the Ocean Group).

And a lot more but I’m not really on the up and up with anime in general.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:05 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:I completely forgot he voices Rohan. Since HXH is fully dubbed and it has 20 episodes left, JoJo Part 4 is likely completed as well. Sucks Vic is gonna appear on Toonami for the next dozen and a bit weeks...
Why? Would you feel guilty about enjoying a show he took part in being in the dub cast for? That's a weird reason to not wanna watch the show dubbed.
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:In regards to replacing his existing roles, Qrow, Broly and Sabo are the big ongoing roles he had which will need redoing. I can see a new Broly debuting in FighterZ DLC if not the BR release of DBS: Broly with a redub of Broly's parts. Thankfully with the current VA talent pool replacing Vic is easy. Edward is the only role of his that would be near impossible to replace, but thankfully no FMA projects are on the horizon.
FighterZ, it's entirely possible he's recorded the lines for. If not, then they're in need of an actor ASAP.
The Broly movie, which several of us have already commented on here, is NOT going to be partially redubbed. FUNi already paid him for the recordings last year & it's not gonna affect their bottom lines whatsoever. Maybe a slight hit, but that's it. The movie's already broken records at the box office & literally it would cost them MORE to replace Vic's recordings with another actor's. Why would they bother? Only a small amount of DB fans aren't going to pick up the home media release of the film because of Vic, so it's literally a no risk situation for them.
In terms of FMA, yeah, that series is done & dusted, minus those shitty live action films they've either made or are making. No way that Aniplex is gonna rerecord his part, though. It'd be too extensive, since they'd have to partially redub every episode, every OVA, & every movie & it'd be a fruitless effort since he both fit the role really well & everyone who owns the home releases of the series has audio of his recordings, so they couldn't get rid of them if they tried.
Really, I feel the only role that'll be interesting to see who they get to replace him is Sabo, since he used a voice similar to the one he used for Edward for him. probably not a lot of people they have can replicate his voice exactly. I'd like to see Daman Mills take a crack at it, though. That dude has RANGE.
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:Have we heard anything more on Haberkorn? His situation reminded me of a fake sexual assault allegation I went through in high school where the only way to prove my innocence was chat logs from the weeks after the alleged event. Albeit my situation didn't involve alcohol so it might not be all similar. Unlike Vic, Todd is a big face for Funimation especially right now with Fairy Tail's final season simuldub and I believe he has a major role in Boruto too. I would appreciate an update since I couldn't find anything on Todd the past 2 dozen pages of the thread.
Haberkorn, it just seems that this situation has blown over for him. Literally the first place I read anything about HIS allegations was here & no one's made any updates here since, so I assume that his accuser & he were able to settle things pretty quickly.
MasenkoHA wrote:They’re doing the Sailor Moon redub, and Naruto, and Inuyasha (with the Ocean Group).

And a lot more but I’m not really on the up and up with anime in general.
You're kinda behind. They wrapped up recording the Naruto dub & the last Inyasha anything they dubbed was The Final Act back in 2012 or so. Now, it's Boruto & Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:28 am

So, uh...not only have several fans on Twitter pulled up a couple of pictures of Monica Rial kissing fans on the cheek, but someone on Twitter apparently accused Jamie Marchi of sexual assault.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GhostShellZe ... 0339710979

What exactly do we make of this? The person who made that accusation could very well simply shit-posting, especially with the “IStandWithVic” hashtag, but how can we know for sure?

Edit: What is happening? (https://mobile.twitter.com/UrbanValkyri ... 8551355392)
Last edited by WittyUsername on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:46 am, edited 3 times in total.