Do you still care about the end of Z?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do you still care about the end of Z?

Post by ZodaEX » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:04 am

ABED wrote:I think he's being concrete. Any changes Super makes to the original can be hermetically sealed since the original is still there. Super's changes don't physically change Toriyama's manga. To use Star Wars as a counterexample, Lucasfilm made actual changes to their movies and you can't find good releases containing the original footage.
The Star Wars Original Trilogy Laser discs were a perfectly good release of the films for the time that they were released. Sure, they added a subtitle to Star Wars' title. But when Dragon Ball eventually hit home video, it wasn't exactly the same as the broadcast version either. Arguably worse than the Star Wars films were because of their relatively low quality sound quality.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:50 am

ZodaEX wrote:
ABED wrote:I think he's being concrete. Any changes Super makes to the original can be hermetically sealed since the original is still there. Super's changes don't physically change Toriyama's manga. To use Star Wars as a counterexample, Lucasfilm made actual changes to their movies and you can't find good releases containing the original footage.
The Star Wars Original Trilogy Laser discs were a perfectly good release of the films for the time that they were released. Sure, they added a subtitle to Star Wars' title. But when Dragon Ball eventually hit home video, it wasn't exactly the same as the broadcast version either. Arguably worse than the Star Wars films were because of their relatively low quality sound quality.
How many people do you know who have laserdiscs?

I'm not talking about small changes like lower quality audio or a subtitle, I'm talking about Greedo shooting first, forcing Hayden Christensen into a film that came out when he was still a toddler, putting CGI into a movie made decades prior.

The unaltered trilogy isn't easy to track down. Toriyama's original manga is.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:06 am

No way, I love the End of Z and I love Goku's blue gi with white belt. I am sad that this outfit haven't got into the Xenoverse at all.
So I don't want them to retcon it. It is just that if DB Super will continue, that time window between Buu and the epilogue is kinda crammed as it is.
Also, having this epilogue and going over it in series that started before it, would be weird. I wonder, how will Dragon Ball progress in future.

GT did to me as a kid, that it pushed the boundary after Z so much in years forward, that EoZ was not epilogue anymore and everyone tought, that the series can go forever
and ended with Goku going somehwere on pretty sorrowfull note. Which made us pretty sad and pissed off, as kids.

I love the original manga ending, being cheerful, with story going forward. Gokus will train Uub as a succesor and there will be more adventures of course.
So I wouldn't mind, if they will redo the epilogue in Super, animating the Kanzenban ending, as in the Z anime, it gets cut even tough the original ending has this final message.
Also, they can go with another series from there, if they'd like.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:15 pm

ABED wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:

I'm not talking about small changes like lower quality audio or a subtitle, I'm talking about Greedo shooting first, forcing Hayden Christensen into a film that came out when he was still a toddler, putting CGI into a movie made decades prior.

Wrong. The Unaltered trilogy is very easy to track down. In fact it cost astronomically less money than a few Dragon Ball home video collections that come to my mind. It's a fact that way way more Gout Star Wars Trilogy sets were produced than Dragon Boxes.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:16 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
ABED wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:

Wrong. The Unaltered trilogy is very easy to track down. In fact it cost astronomically less money than a few Dragon Ball home video collections that come to my mind. It's a fact that way way more Gout Star Wars Trilogy sets were produced than Dragon Boxes.
The Star Wars Trilogy in its unaltered form (without the new footage). I have no idea why you brought up the subtitle "A New Hope" as if you didn't know exactly what I was talking about.

I'm not talking about the anime. I'm talking about Toriyama's original manga. It's still in print.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:34 pm

ABED wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:
ABED wrote: How many people do you know who have laserdiscs?

The Star Wars Trilogy in its unaltered form (without the new footage). I have no idea why you brought up the subtitle "A New Hope" as if you didn't know exactly what I was talking about.

I'm not talking about the anime. I'm talking about Toriyama's original manga. It's still in print.
If you were talking about the DB manga then why did you bring up the issue about low audio quality? Last time I checked the manga doesn't have any sound right? Then why talk about lower quality audio if it had no relevance to what we were discussing?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:47 pm

I didn't bring it up! You did.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 pm

It's not so big a deal to me anymore, but I really love Goku's outfit from that era and I really want him to transition to it in the series soon.

Changing the characters' outfits won't suddenly ruin the profitability of the franchise, or else RoF, as bad as it was wouldn't have been as financially successful.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:31 am

I care since it's part of the original manga but I'm coming to terms with the possibility that this chapter may be overriden in favor of Super's continuity. I believe this might happen because of the apparently inconsistent ages in Broli's movie and the vague timeline of Super.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:54 pm

It would be weird as hell for them to change a pre-established event, but I suppose retcons aren't really a new thing for Super.

Still, if it makes for a better story, I'm all for doing it differently.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Robo4900 wrote:It would be weird as hell for them to change a pre-established event, but I suppose retcons aren't really a new thing for Super.

I think it can easily be solved just by adjusting Bulma's line to something more generic like "I haven't seen you in ages!" or "You practically disappeared after [Last major event in Super]!"

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:15 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:It would be weird as hell for them to change a pre-established event, but I suppose retcons aren't really a new thing for Super.

I think it can easily be solved just by adjusting Bulma's line to something more generic like "I haven't seen you in ages!" or "You practically disappeared after [Last major event in Super]!"
TBH yeah.

Though, I personally would take the route of moving that line to Vegeta or someone, and reusing Hiromi Tsuru's recordings from Kai TFC for any lines spoken by Bulma, if they retell the original ending.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:22 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:

TBH yeah.
Though, I personally would take the route of moving that line to Vegeta or someone, and reusing Hiromi Tsuru's recordings from Kai TFC for any lines spoken by Bulma, if they retell the original ending.
I'd be in support of that as well. I think it'd make more sense for Bulma though considering Goku is much more likely to spar with Vegeta frequently than he is to talk with Bulma (which could be part of the reason why Bulma is so upset at him!).

On the other hand, Super and Broly show that Goku's gotten a lot better about hanging out with his friends these days, so I think the line should be Bulma getting angry about something different entirely as it's very unlikely, even with the time difference being thrown out the window, that Goku would just be absent for such an extended period of time anymore.

On top of that, they could also use it as an opportunity to have Goku be clearer about his training with Uub with a few line adjustments. Have him abandon the Tournament by saying "Eeee! I can't wait, let's start training right now! Sorry Vegeta!", and then clarify to Pan that "We can train anywhere in the world, so of course I can still be with you and the family!". That way the main issue people have with the ending (Goku abandoning his family for a kid) can at least be smoothed over into something less sociopathic whilst still keeping the spirit of Goku being excited to have such a powerful new opponent.

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:42 pm

The fact that we still didn’t reached the eoz makes me actually angry I am absolutely no more interested in what’s happening in the 10 Years Time skip to the point that I care actually more about GT than Super