Dragon Ball Super: Cooler ...?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Cooler ...?

Post by Grimlock » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:41 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Dragon Ball Super: Janemba

Let's just not, okay?
Let's just yes for this one.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:If we count SDBH, we have Cooler in that thing but he was always watching others fight so might as well they'd not bother showing him, then.
Did you forget the manga and arcade?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:59 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:As long as Platinum Cooler becomes a thing, I'd be happy.

As for your story, a little I would throw in is that Cooler is not a prodigy like his brother.
King Cold knew that. To ensure Freeza's ascension went unopposed, Cold pitted the brothers against each other.
Cooler lost and was left for dead.
His loyal subordinates retrieved him, nursed him back to health, and left the Cold Force in exile.
King Cold and Freeza believed Cooler died, so they did not bother hunting him.

While Freeza continued his tyranny, Cooler and his subordinates moved from planet to planet. The harsh conditions of their exile forced them to train in order to survive.
News reaches Cooler of Freeza's defeat and the death of his father. With the Freeza Force in disarray, the opportunity arrived for Cooler to take back what believed was rightfully his.
In the present, Freeza returned as leader of the Freeza Force and is rebuilding his empire.

What Freeza doesn't know is that Cooler has been building an army of his own in his absence and they have a few surprises in store for the vertically-obsessed tyrant....
I really like this idea. Instead of him being forgotten, he was somewhat sent to exile. Good thinking!
Polyphase Avatron wrote:Dragon Ball Super: Hirudegarn
I actually liked Hirudegarn's backstory a lot! He was a "god" so he could be relevant in this continuity.
P O W E R

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:53 am

Grand Marshal 1 wrote:snip
I love your idea and I think I had somehow the same. In one of my idea look what I was proposing in the 2 Broly's thread in the videogames section.
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:I think this thread has its place in the "general franchise discussion", I got one interesting idea for fanfic artist or fanmangaka, heck even In video games they can do that sort of what if story if they want/can play this card. The idea is Broly (93 movie) and Broli (DBS Movie) are twins the shy one being older than the dangerous one.

Imagine the possibilites of story playing this card "the evil and good twins brother" that would be good.

Also here is my own take on this idea for my own DB work project.
https://imgur.com/3PQPyR0

It's in French but the thing in bracket would perhaps help.
Tell me your thought ?
Metalwario64 wrote:While I find modern Toriyama very hit and miss, I feel Broly was a huge hit. I definitely wouldn't mind him bringing other previously "non-canon" characters into the franchise with a greatly expanded backstory beyond being evil for evil's sake.

I think a rewritten and heavily expanded and version of Bojack and his gang would be cool as well. They had barely any characterization in movie 9 beyond basic personalities, but they have an interesting backstory and designs that would be cool to see brought in to the main story and given a much more fleshed out characterization.
90sDBZ wrote:I say why the hell not. He's pretty much the most popular movie villain after Broly, being the only other one to star in more than 1 movie, and also being almost as prominent as Broly in videogames.

With Frieza's return to prominence and Broly being canonised it would make sense. The rivalry between Frieza and Cooler was one of my favourite parts of Xenoverse 2, where you got to decide who to side with.

I don't think I'd make him golden though.
I say I agree to the both of you also to add to this about Bojack to expand my thought with this comment...
Dragon Ball Super: Hirudegarn
Dragon Ball Super: Android 13
Dragon Ball Super: Lord Slug
Dragon Ball Super: Turles
Dragon Ball Super: Garlic Jr.
Dragon Ball Super: Dr. Wheelo
Dragon Ball Super: Bio-Broly
Dragon Ball Super: King Gurumes

Let's just not, okay?
...I can see only characters such as, Cooler, Android 13, Lord Slug and Garlic Jr to makes sense as weel as Bojack because each of them expand the lore to a degree, Garlic Jr is link to Kami-Sama and the demon lore, Android 13 to Gero and the Red Ribbon Army, Lord Slug to the Namekian and Piccolo, Bojack and his gang are link to the Kaios, Turles is this character that is a what if Goku was a Saiyan but can be reworked as why not a Cooler minion.

Hirudegarn, Tapion, Dr Uiro and Gurumes are too far outside the lore they don't link to anything.
Bruma rabu wrote:When gogeta told freeza about fusion cooler came to mind. I can total see something like that happening.
It's as if they are teasing us no ? :D
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:04 pm

Maybe instead of Frieza’s brother they could make him Frost’s older brother and he can be the main villain of a U6 arc.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:22 pm

...I can see only characters such as, Cooler, Android 13, Lord Slug and Garlic Jr to makes sense as weel as Bojack because each of them expand the lore to a degree, Garlic Jr is link to Kami-Sama and the demon lore, Android 13 to Gero and the Red Ribbon Army, Lord Slug to the Namekian and Piccolo, Bojack and his gang are link to the Kaios, Turles is this character that is a what if Goku was a Saiyan but can be reworked as why not a Cooler minion.

Hirudegarn, Tapion, Dr Uiro and Gurumes are too far outside the lore they don't link to anything.
I think you have that flipped, the characters that would actually expand the lore (whatever that means) are those without links to the characters we know. They don't like to anything so we would be seeing something different. And why do people care so much about lore?

We already have too much Freeza, so I have zero desire to see Coola again. Hell, I don't even like the idea of reusing any of these villains, but if we have to, why not choosing a character without a link to an overexposed character?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Cooler is my favorite movie villain, so I'm all for him returning. And instead of "Golden Cooler," his ascended form colors could be a callback to movie 6, something along these lines:

This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Dragon Ball Super managed to breath wonderful new life into Broly, and a re-tooling of Cooler could provide an interesting dynamic to future story arcs now that Freeza is alive and kicking and and planet conquering again. You could have Freeza and Cooler go to war with each-other or have them team up and fight the main cast, or even have Cooler involved in the universes that were excluded from competing in the Tournament Of Power.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:04 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
Grand Marshal 1 wrote:snip
I love your idea and I think I had somehow the same. In one of my idea look what I was proposing in the 2 Broly's thread in the videogames section.
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:I think this thread has its place in the "general franchise discussion", I got one interesting idea for fanfic artist or fanmangaka, heck even In video games they can do that sort of what if story if they want/can play this card. The idea is Broly (93 movie) and Broli (DBS Movie) are twins the shy one being older than the dangerous one.

Imagine the possibilites of story playing this card "the evil and good twins brother" that would be good.

Tell me your thought ?
Metalwario64 wrote:While I find modern Toriyama very hit and miss, I feel Broly was a huge hit. I definitely wouldn't mind him bringing other previously "non-canon" characters into the franchise with a greatly expanded backstory beyond being evil for evil's sake.

I think a rewritten and heavily expanded and version of Bojack and his gang would be cool as well. They had barely any characterization in movie 9 beyond basic personalities, but they have an interesting backstory and designs that would be cool to see brought in to the main story and given a much more fleshed out characterization.
90sDBZ wrote:I say why the hell not. He's pretty much the most popular movie villain after Broly, being the only other one to star in more than 1 movie, and also being almost as prominent as Broly in videogames.

With Frieza's return to prominence and Broly being canonised it would make sense. The rivalry between Frieza and Cooler was one of my favourite parts of Xenoverse 2, where you got to decide who to side with.

I don't think I'd make him golden though.
I say I agree to the both of you also to add to this about Bojack to expand my thought with this comment...
Dragon Ball Super: Hirudegarn
Dragon Ball Super: Android 13
Dragon Ball Super: Lord Slug
Dragon Ball Super: Turles
Dragon Ball Super: Garlic Jr.
Dragon Ball Super: Dr. Wheelo
Dragon Ball Super: Bio-Broly
Dragon Ball Super: King Gurumes

Let's just not, okay?

Bruma rabu wrote:When gogeta told freeza about fusion cooler came to mind. I can total see something like that happening.
It's as if they are teasing us no ? :D
So;
Bebi Hatchiyak wrote:I think this thread has its place in the "general franchise discussion", I got one interesting idea for fanfic artist or fanmangaka, heck even In video games they can do that sort of what if story if they want/can play this card. The idea is Broly (93 movie) and Broli (DBS Movie) are twins the shy one being older than the dangerous one.

I find this idea so damn cool! Unfortunately, there is room for only one Broly. Lol
P O W E R

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:07 pm

ABED wrote:

I think you have that flipped, the characters that would actually expand the lore (whatever that means) are those without links to the characters we know. They don't like to anything so we would be seeing something different. And why do people care so much about lore?

We already have too much Freeza, so I have zero desire to see Coola again. Hell, I don't even like the idea of reusing any of these villains, but if we have to, why not choosing a character without a link to an overexposed character?
I have to admit that I could afford a little more of Cooler in the franchise. However, I could say that the Tuffles really meed an overhaul in Universe 7. Hatchiyak could return (I mean he isn't as famous as other characters) in order to set the foundation for the Tuffle-Saiyan rivavrly once again.

But, Hirudegarn is definitely my second choise after Cooler. He was meant to be a god. This is very relevant to the current events.
P O W E R

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:16 pm

But why? Why do we need more about the Tsufuru-jin rivalry than we've already gotten from both the backstory Kaio gave Goku and the Baby arc? Going to the past to mine new material on occasion is fine, but long running stories can't keep going to that well.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:21 pm

ABED wrote:But why? Why do we need more about the Tsufuru-jin rivalry than we've already gotten from both the backstory Kaio gave Goku and the Baby arc? Going to the past to mine new material on occasion is fine, but long running stories can't keep going to that well.
Well, the Baby arc is different. GT isn't Super. I get your points though. I also want something fresh. I don't want old material to return in the cost of new never being made. I am simply throwing suggestions (just like everyone) of things that could return. Who knows? In 10 years or more. Maybe never. I will always put new material as my top priority.

It is just that even the old stories weren't feeling completed. North Kai's story was ok, it was a explanation of what happened in the past afterall. But why not learning more about it? People want to know more for Yamoshi (an example) but should we not get anything because Shenron's story suffices?

I am open to your opinion.
P O W E R

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:27 pm

I don't think so, and I hope it doesn't happen. Revisionism aside, Broly was treated as a random Saiyan discardaded right away and stuck in an obscure planet. There's a reason for why he was never mentioned or made aware of by the existing characters in past stories.

Cooler is Freeza's brother, so if he was to exist, he should have been mentioned already in Resurrection 'F' (and in Broly too). Something that did happen with Vegeta's brother (mentioned in Battle of Gods and Broly), who is a character that in theory we have never seen.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:12 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:I don't think so, and I hope it doesn't happen. Revisionism aside, Broly was treated as a random Saiyan discardaded right away and stuck in an obscure planet. There's a reason for why he was never mentioned or made aware of by the existing characters in past stories.

Cooler is Freeza's brother, so if he was to exist, he should have been mentioned already in Resurrection 'F' (and in Broly too). Something that did happen with Vegeta's brother (mentioned in Battle of Gods and Broly), who is a character that in theory we have never seen.
You haven't read OP idea on this take, he literally made the only one known about Cooler existence Cold, since Cold is dead no one knows about Frieza having a brother and Frieza himself doesn't know. Possibly Whis but since no one ask him then you have the general idea.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:00 pm

Grand Marshal 1 wrote:It is just that even the old stories weren't feeling completed. North Kai's story was ok, it was a explanation of what happened in the past afterall. But why not learning more about it? People want to know more for Yamoshi (an example) but should we not get anything because Shenron's story suffices?

Thanks, and fair enough. I don't think it's incomplete. Even without GT, the backstory was little more than an example of the Saiyans' brutal nature. It has a beginning, middle, and end. Two races lived on the same planet, for a while it was constant warring, but due to a full moon, the Saiyans gained the edge necessary to obliterate them. Not sure what there's left to tell.

I have no idea who Yamoshi is.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:38 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote: It's as if they are teasing us no ? :D
Right? I can see it now. Freeza tries to recruit broly again finds out that goku has all ready won him over. Then figures that there's absolutely nothing else he can do but ask his big brother for help. Shit happens they're losin and then that's where goku reminds them of fusion everybody gets mad at him. They fuse then more shenanigans.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:01 pm

Cooler would be interesting.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:36 am

ABED wrote:
Grand Marshal 1 wrote:It is just that even the old stories weren't feeling completed. North Kai's story was ok, it was a explanation of what happened in the past afterall. But why not learning more about it? People want to know more for Yamoshi (an example) but should we not get anything because Shenron's story suffices?

Thanks, and fair enough. I don't think it's incomplete. Even without GT, the backstory was little more than an example of the Saiyans' brutal nature. It has a beginning, middle, and end. Two races lived on the same planet, for a while it was constant warring, but due to a full moon, the Saiyans gained the edge necessary to obliterate them. Not sure what there's left to tell.

I have no idea who Yamoshi is.
Makes sense. I can't say I conpletely disagree. However the Saiyans fought with the Tuffles for years until the full moon appeared. Not sure where I heard that though. Anyway, Yamoshi is the Original Super Saiyan God. He seems far more interesting to expand on to be honest, instead of the Tuffle-Saiyan war.
P O W E R

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:32 am

You heard it when Kaio tells Goku about Saiyan history.

I understand the desire to hear more about interesting bits of lore, but much of the time, expanding on backstory is a mistake. Backstory is valuable mostly as a tool to inform the present.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:57 pm

ABED wrote:You heard it when Kaio tells Goku about Saiyan history.

I understand the desire to hear more about interesting bits of lore, but much of the time, expanding on backstory is a mistake. Backstory is valuable mostly as a tool to inform the present.
That's where I beg to differ, because since I love science I love when I can do some science inside a work of fiction life for exemple how the tectonic plate work in Earth Dragon Ball or what is the Vegeta genealogy tree or how does Ki works on a biological level, an author of fiction who can provide us those kind of information makes the Univers and lore in general of the franchise more real.

For exemple in Ace Combat there is a lot of information not useful for the context of the game but in the overall canvas you see how certain event are connected to each other. Same for Assassin's Creed or Metroid look at all the information and date you collect in the Metroid Prime Trilogy not everything is useful for the story but that's give some interesting bits to the story as a whole.

And that's I strongly believe that certain characters such as Garlic Jr, Slug, Cooler, Bojack and Turles/Tullece could fit well into the overall canvas of Dragon Ball.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Perhaps it makes it more real (debatable, because no matter how much science you put into magic and superpowers, they are still made up BS), but that doesn't mean the story is the better for it if it slows the story to a crawl just to explain how things fictional things work. Don't let the tail wag the dog.
And that's I strongly believe that certain characters such as Garlic Jr, Slug, Cooler, Bojack and Turles/Tullece could fit well into the overall canvas of Dragon Ball.
They already do. They may not be canon, but who cares? Why retread old characters instead of making new ones?