Dragon Ball Super: Cooler ...?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball Super: Cooler ...?

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:15 pm

Cooler

Yes, that one character who has sparked intense arguments within the Dragon Ball fanbase. The unseen brother of the tyrrant himself. The first son to King Cold, the leader and possible founder of the greatest faction in the history of Universe 7. And yet, he is nowhere to be seen....

In this thread, I will explain to everyone why I believe that Cooler could have appeared in the current "Canon" (let us not discuss what "Canon" stands for) and could have potentially changed the flow of the story by a wide margin.

Cooler is stated to be King Cold's first son. However, given the fact that Freeza was far more "loved" by the King, Cooler was casted aside. You can say that this isn't the case, but in the original Cooler movies, he (Cooler) states that his brother's locked potential is so massive that he can't control his Final Form (50%). This was a long time ago and it suggested that Freeza was the son Cold wanted.

Subsequently, he allowed to Cooler to still be a member of the Royal Family of Cold's Empire, but not a direct heir to the throne, a position that would be filled by Freeza. Thanks to Dragon Ball Super: Broly, we even got to see Cold's retirement and Freeza's rise to power, along with his reveal to the Saiyans and perhaps to the rest of the civilizations under Cold's rule.

Cooler on the other hand, remained pretty much a secret. Someone that Cold didn't want to talk about. Cooler was aware of that of course. Cooler is most certainly disgusted by his father and his younger brother, as they chose to push him aside, in order to remain in their positions of authority. Great King Cold and Emperor Freeza. But Cooler was nothing.

So back to our main point, after years of lurking from the shadows, Cooler had pretty much learned everything he had to about Universe 7. Cold warned him and his brother to never oppose the God of Destruction Beerus and to never encounter Majin Buu (which brings up the question of whether Cold is much older than he seems, or if he has access to knowledge restricted to the Supreme Kais). Cooler knew of Freeza's role as a temporary Agent of Destruction to Beerus and of the Saiyans' internal conflicts, most notably King Vegeta's with a military officer of his, Paragus.

Cooler wouldn't be bothered with his brother's affairs, but he would spy on him. He would see the destruction of the Saiyan race by the Emperor himself, just like what he did in the original movie. He would know about Broly's existence. He would be aware of Goku's and of Prince Vegeta's survival. Yes, King Vegeta had a second son too, didn't he?

Cooler would teach himself that if he wished to take back what he was denied of, he would have to do the unthinkable for a member of his gifted race. Train. Cooler would train for years. He would be able to control his true form, his Final Form (50%) and he wouldn't stop there. He would learn to exploit 100% of his Final Form's powers and then to break his limits. Achieve a new form. One that would augment his strength, multiply it. It wouldn't be his own strength anymore. He was getting stronger that his limitations.

And then, Namek. Freeza has perished. The Empire is falling. The Super Saiyan did the job. Freeza was a fool for believing that he would top everyone in the universe. Cooler could have probably killed the Saiyan if he was in his brother's position. Yet again, he would decide to not interfere. Cold would save Freeza etc. They both die for good. Cooler is now alone. At the moment, no one is there to stop him. That Saiyan with the enormous battle power is stranded on that desolated planet and the one that killed Freeza is on a distant planet. Prince Vegeta isn't a threat.

Cooler would absorb as many remnants from the Freeza Force as possible and he would learn of Majin Buu's return and of Beerus' awakening. Freeza is a goner and Cooler has trained enough to pose a serious threat to the main cast of characters. The unthinkable happens. When Cooler was preparing to venture off to kill the Saiyans Goku and Vegeta, Freeza would be resurrected.

The events of Resurrection F would take place, but to Cooler's suprise, his brother has attained a new form. The ultimate evolution form of their species. Superior to his own super evolution. The Golden form. That is because Freeza's potential is much greater to Cooler's.

And as such, with ignorance to the ensuing events (Freeza's death, the Tournament of the Destroyers and the ToP) Cooler has reached the golden form by the time of DBS: Broly. He understands that the Golden form comes with a disadvantage of decreased stamina, but he overcomes that by applying it on top of his Fourth Form, instead of his Final Form, subsequently skipping the extra training part required to unlock the True Golden Form.

Ultimately, Cooler would be an unseen enemy. Of course many things would probably be repeated with him (such as his similarities with Freeza), but after all these years, it would be great for him to be all alone and thirsty for revenge. From DBS: Broly onward, his story could take many different turns, but I would keep Cooler as a third party character. An overhaul to his character could be essential, just like with Broly. He needs to share less similarities with his brother.

Last but not least, his character would be a great addition to the lore, as we could expand more on the backstory of Freeza's family, without giving away that feel of mysetry that surrounds them. You may think that making him attain the Golden form (or actually an augmented Golden form) would be a bit too hasty, but in order for him to be relevant, he would require to gain access to god-level power. The perfect way to do that would be with him encountering Freeza after DBS: Broly and getting beat up from his brother's ultimate form, which would in turn force him to retreat and go through the process which I explained earlier.

Anyway, thanks for reading this! Be sure to drop me your ideas down below! It might sounds a bit like a "What-if" but I tried to tie Cooler with the "Canon" without changing anything prior to his potential debut to the show.
P O W E R

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Cooler ...?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:34 pm

I’m frankly sick of rehashing old villains and ideas.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:37 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:I’m frankly sick of rehashing old villains and ideas.
I genuinely wasn't sure myself if I should make this post, but Cooler is the only thing that I would like to see returning. I didn't even care for Broly prior to the movie. He is awesome though. Anyway, I am not a fan of seeing old stuff returning either.
Last edited by Grand Marshal 1 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P O W E R

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:37 pm

Along with not wanting an old villain brought back again, Cooler wasn't mentioned in RoF or Broly. I don't think they care enough.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:38 pm

Grand Marshal 1 wrote:
I genuinely wasn't sure myself if I should make this post, but Cooler is the only thing that I would like to see returning. I didn't even care for Broly prior to the movie. He is awesome though. Anyway, I am not a fan of seeing old stuff returning either.
Sorry didn’t mean to seem like I was discouraging you from posting.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:41 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Grand Marshal 1 wrote:
Sorry didn’t mean to seem like I was discouraging you from posting.
Lol no! XD
I accept all kinds of criticism. Which is why I post. I want to know if people like this idea or not. It has been a topic for debate for quite a while, at least from my perspective.
P O W E R

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:52 pm

Dragon Ball Super: Janemba
Dragon Ball Super: Hirudegarn
Dragon Ball Super: Android 13
Dragon Ball Super: Lord Slug
Dragon Ball Super: Turles
Dragon Ball Super: Garlic Jr.
Dragon Ball Super: Dr. Wheelo
Dragon Ball Super: Bio-Broly
Dragon Ball Super: King Gurumes

Let's just not, okay?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:55 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Dragon Ball Super: Janemba
Dragon Ball Super: Hirudegarn
Dragon Ball Super: Android 13
Dragon Ball Super: Lord Slug
Dragon Ball Super: Turles
Dragon Ball Super: Garlic Jr.
Dragon Ball Super: Dr. Wheelo
Dragon Ball Super: Bio-Broly
Dragon Ball Super: King Gurumes

Let's just not, okay?
:lol: well that would take it too far actually. I assume that you wouldn't like this idea come to fruition. Interesting.
P O W E R

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Broly was a character I never really liked but DBS Broly changed my heart, I love his character now and he's very likeable, well developed and runs his emotions properly (screaming Kakarroto was kinda annoying and that he was a brainless idiot).

Now, I'd not say no to a DBS Cooler movie but still feels Super Broly's story isn't over, it just begun.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:38 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Broly was a character I never really liked but DBS Broly changed my heart, I love his character now and he's very likeable, well developed and runs his emotions properly (screaming Kakarroto was kinda annoying and that he was a brainless idiot).

Now, I'd not say no to a DBS Cooler movie but still feels Super Broly's story isn't over, it just begun.
Most certainly. The tile was more or less used to signify the role that Cooler could have have in DBS. A movie about him would be too much. I agree with you on the fact that Broly's journey has just begun!
P O W E R

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:21 pm

While I find modern Toriyama very hit and miss, I feel Broly was a huge hit. I definitely wouldn't mind him bringing other previously "non-canon" characters into the franchise with a greatly expanded backstory beyond being evil for evil's sake.

I think a rewritten and heavily expanded and version of Bojack and his gang would be cool as well. They had barely any characterization in movie 9 beyond basic personalities, but they have an interesting backstory and designs that would be cool to see brought in to the main story and given a much more fleshed out characterization.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:34 pm

I say why the hell not. He's pretty much the most popular movie villain after Broly, being the only other one to star in more than 1 movie, and also being almost as prominent as Broly in videogames.

With Frieza's return to prominence and Broly being canonised it would make sense. The rivalry between Frieza and Cooler was one of my favourite parts of Xenoverse 2, where you got to decide who to side with.

I don't think I'd make him golden though.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:49 pm

If it turns out like DBS Broly and rewrites Cooler in a way that makes him a far more interesting and compelling character of course I'd be all for it, and thankfully after DBS Broly Toriyama has regained my trust. I was even more open to this new Bardock due to the atonement angle that was given.

I hope DBS Broly's box office performance will give the right message that quality matters and if we get well written and animated Dragon Ball movies more people will get on board.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:50 pm

90sDBZ wrote:I say why the hell not. He's pretty much the most popular movie villain after Broly, being the only other one to star in more than 1 movie, and also being almost as prominent as Broly in videogames.

With Frieza's return to prominence and Broly being canonised it would make sense. The rivalry between Frieza and Cooler was one of my favourite parts of Xenoverse 2, where you got to decide who to side with.

Understandable. But, to this point, it would be the only way for him to keep up (I mean going Golden). That's just a technical issue though.
P O W E R

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:53 pm

Grand Marshal 1 wrote:
90sDBZ wrote:I say why the hell not. He's pretty much the most popular movie villain after Broly, being the only other one to star in more than 1 movie, and also being almost as prominent as Broly in videogames.

Understandable. But, to this point, it would be the only way for him to keep up (I mean going Golden). That's just a technical issue though.
They could always give him some other power up, like a new form that actually looks different perhaps. I just think there are better ways to handle it than a basic pallet swap.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:54 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:If it turns out like DBS Broly and rewrites Cooler in a way that makes him a far more interesting and compelling character of course I'd be all for it, and thankfully after DBS Broly Toriyama has regained my trust. I was even more open to this new Bardock due to the atonement angle that was given.

I hope DBS Broly's box office performance will give the right message that quality matters and if we get well written and animated Dragon Ball movies more people will get on board.
DBS: Broly did the best thing for me. It combined many things into one movie extremely well! Gogeta (as an element from Fusion Reborn and GT), Broly (our boi), the entire story behind Vegeta's destruction (DB Minus, perhaps part of the Bardock special and how Freeza and Cold had to do with this along with their role in the empire). Cooler would have fit very well imo. Just a cameo appearance.

Damn even Turles and Slug have potential (even Bojack as a fellow member indicated above), but I am not sure if some things should be used. Cooler is the best choise though.
P O W E R

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:57 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
Grand Marshal 1 wrote:

They could always give him some other power up, like a new form that actually looks different perhaps. I just think there are better ways to handle it than a basic pallet swap.
Lol, it would be quite ironic if we had to deal with a color swapping for the members of Freeza's race as well and not only for the Saiyans. XD

I agree. I wouldn't like to see a "Meta-Cooler" though. That would be 100% unoriginal.
P O W E R

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:11 pm

As long as Platinum Cooler becomes a thing, I'd be happy.

As for your story, a little I would throw in is that Cooler is not a prodigy like his brother.
King Cold knew that. To ensure Freeza's ascension went unopposed, Cold pitted the brothers against each other.
Cooler lost and was left for dead.
His loyal subordinates retrieved him, nursed him back to health, and left the Cold Force in exile.
King Cold and Freeza believed Cooler died, so they did not bother hunting him.

While Freeza continued his tyranny, Cooler and his subordinates moved from planet to planet. The harsh conditions of their exile forced them to train in order to survive.
News reaches Cooler of Freeza's defeat and the death of his father. With the Freeza Force in disarray, the opportunity arrived for Cooler to take back what believed was rightfully his.
In the present, Freeza returned as leader of the Freeza Force and is rebuilding his empire.

What Freeza doesn't know is that Cooler has been building an army of his own in his absence and they have a few surprises in store for the vertically-obsessed tyrant....
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:40 pm

If we count SDBH, we have Cooler in that thing but he was always watching others fight so might as well they'd not bother showing him, then.

It'd be like bringing back Turles but he'd do absolutely nothing and dammit, that'd be a tease. I like Turles a lot. Yeah, Turles is just an "Evil Goku" but he was pretty good in his movie.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:00 pm

When gogeta told freeza about fusion cooler came to mind. I can total see something like that happening.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink: