Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Are There Any Updates On The Harmony Gold Dub Of Dragon Ball?

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:25 pm

So I wonder if anyone has any guess why Harmony Gold skipped Sleeping Princess in Devil’s castle. The three movies all kind of tied together in an alternate continuity (even though Funi tried to tie movie 2 and 3 to the series) so it weird for them to skip movie 2 and suddenly Bongo and Marilyn.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:29 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:So I wonder if anyone has any guess why Harmony Gold skipped Sleeping Princess in Devil’s castle. The three movies all kind of tied together in an alternate continuity (even though Funi tried to tie movie 2 and 3 to the series) so it weird for them to skip movie 2 and suddenly Bongo and Marilyn.
I have absolutely no idea what their their thought process was in leaving it out, they could have just as easily included it and made a triple feature by combining all three together.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 pm

I watched all of the HG dub of Curse of the Blood Rubies. Surprised how much Funimation kept. Some lines were dead on the same plus besides the obvious Master Roshi and Nimbus coming from them there was also renaming Pansy Penny (which is a way better name than Pansy) and calling the Dragon Radar a Bleeper which is what Funimation went with in the 95 dub until they moved onto DBZ.

Also Harmony Gold tried to sorta keep Roshi’s perversion by at least asking for a kiss from Bulma where Funimation in 1995 removed his interest in her completely and curbed his dirty old man to just being a lonely old man who wanted Bulma to set him up with a woman his age.

Also Angelica Pickles as Squeaker/Puehr was super distracting

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:I watched all of the HG dub of Curse of the Blood Rubies. Surprised how much Funimation kept. Some lines were dead on the same plus besides the obvious Master Roshi and Nimbus coming from them there was also renaming Pansy Penny (which is a way better name than Pansy) and calling the Dragon Radar a Bleeper which is what Funimation went with in the 95 dub until they moved onto DBZ.

Also Harmony Gold tried to sorta keep Roshi’s perversion by at least asking for a kiss from Bulma where Funimation in 1995 removed his interest in her completely and curbed his dirty old man to just being a lonely old man who wanted Bulma to set him up with a woman his age.

Also Angelica Pickles as Squeaker/Puehr was super distracting
Yeah, it's very interesting how some of things like names and such in FUNimation's later dubs were incorporated from Harmony Gold's dub, they sure esourced quite a lot.

Also yeah, the first time i heard Puar (Squeaker) talk while watching the HG Blood Rubies dub i was like "Hold on, is that Angelica's voice i hear?" and sure enough i knew who it was.

inninnin

Post by inninnin » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:16 am

A while ago, I think I heard that some guy on here that goes by the username "kei17" has all the Harmony Gold dub episodes...

Is this true?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:20 am

inninnin wrote:A while ago, I think I heard that some guy on here that goes by the username "kei17" has all the Harmony Gold dub episodes...

Is this true?
I saw something on the forum about that once quite some time ago, but apparently he has been gone from the forums for a while now so i can't remember exactly.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:56 am

inninnin wrote:A while ago, I think I heard that some guy on here that goes by the username "kei17" has all the Harmony Gold dub episodes...

Is this true?
Doesn't matter if it's true. Kei17 is notoriously protective of his rare content, and he's probably still pissed about all that broadcast audio being leaked. In other words don't expect him to share anything.

That said, he did post one clip from HG episode 1 on YouTube.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

inninnin

Post by inninnin » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:26 am

Danfun64 wrote:

Is this true?
Doesn't matter if it's true. Kei17 is notoriously protective of his rare content, and he's probably still pissed about all that broadcast audio being leaked. In other words don't expect him to share anything.

That said, he did post one clip from HG episode 1 on YouTube.
Well... if he doesn't want to share them, then is there anyone else on here who has the HG episodes and is willing to share them?

I mean, he can't be the only one on here to have the HG episodes, can he?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:27 am

MasenkoHA wrote:So I gotta say watching more clips I do think Barbara Goodson would have made the best English Goku. It’s a lot closer to Masako Nozawa’s version albeit it has that “80s kids cartoon voice vibe” going for it.
Yeah, Goodson's Goku definitely gives me Nozawa vibes, certainly moreso than any other kid Goku actor we've seen.

It's a shame the Bang Zoom dub of Super didn't cast her as Goten like Wendee Lee getting cast as Bulma again. Would have been nice for her to get a chance to work on Dragon Ball again and deliver another performance like that.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:53 am

It never made much sense to me how Nozawa voices literally ever male iteration of the Son family line, but there's absolutely no denying that she puts a unique flavour to all of them so that they don't all sound the same.
DBGod wrote:I might know someone who has all the episodes already transferred on VHS in Hi-Fi Stereo recorded SP. I think its about time I get my hands on them myself for my own collection this was an interestingly good dub for the short while it was around. Just wish it could have lasted longer.
I'm not sure how censored the Harmony Gold dub is visually (does Goku wear shorts and grab a fish full of dollars?), but if you could get the audio off of those I could try syncing them up with my Dragon Box footage to up the picture quality and keep the dub the same! Considering this was the first English dub of any Dragon Ball content EVER it deserves to be more widely available than it is right now.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:28 am

KBABZ wrote:It never made much sense to me how Nozawa voices literally ever male iteration of the Son family line, but there's absolutely no denying that she puts a unique flavour to all of them so that they don't all sound the same.
I'm pretty sure VegettoEX said it once, but I'm inclined to agree that Nozawa is the voice of animated Dragon Ball. Whenever Goku is not around, as is the case with the Bardock special or episodes of DBZ where he is not prevalent Gohan is around. That's why it would be so hard to recast any of the Son family should anything happen to her. Even when she puts a different spin on each character its still the general sound of Dragon Ball, much like how Freddie Mercury doesn't always use the same key when singing but you always know the sound of Queen. In the case of Dragon Ball, Nozawa has been in absolutely everything since 1986, no one other than Toriyama can come close to her association, involvement and pure dedication to the franchise.
KBABZ wrote:Considering this was the first English dub of any Dragon Ball content EVER it deserves to be more widely available than it is right now.
Totally agree, as much as I like Funimation's work on the series its rather unfortunate there's no precedent for them releasing alternate English dubs or giving pre-Z DB any kind of special treatment. Like others suggested in the big thread on this topic I'd be all for a Legacy Collection edition of OG Dragon Ball that would include the first 5 (or more if they can be found and acquired) episodes of Harmony Gold plus the TV movie, all 13 BLT episodes and movie, as well as the Blue Water and inhouse dubs, preferably on Blu-Ray even for more episodes per disc but to own all those dubs legally DVD would do. That however would be a pipe dream, much like full episodes of this dub surfacing at all :(
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:11 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:Totally agree, as much as I like Funimation's work on the series its rather unfortunate there's no precedent for them releasing alternate English dubs or giving pre-Z DB any kind of special treatment. Like others suggested in the big thread on this topic I'd be all for a Legacy Collection edition of OG Dragon Ball that would include the first 5 (or more if they can be found and acquired) episodes of Harmony Gold plus the TV movie, all 13 BLT episodes and movie, as well as the Blue Water and inhouse dubs, preferably on Blu-Ray even for more episodes per disc but to own all those dubs legally DVD would do. That however would be a pipe dream, much like full episodes of this dub surfacing at all :(
I was more thinking just having them up on YouTube with the Dragon Box as the video source, aside from censored scenes.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:35 am

KBABZ wrote:It never made much sense to me how Nozawa voices literally ever male iteration of the Son family line
I don’t think it’s that different from the English iterations tendency to have Kid Goku and Kid Gohan share a voice actress: Saffron Henderson, Stephanie Nadolny, Colleen Clinkenbeard.

Even Kara Edwards in the Westwood voiced Goten after taking over the role of Gohan from Henderson and also, iirc, briefly voiced Kid Goku in a flashback (and probably would have in GT and DB if production for those two wasn’t moved to Blue Waters in Calgary)

Frankly I’m kind of surprised they didn’t have Schemmel voice Bardock...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:42 am

MasenkoHA wrote:I don’t think it’s that different from the English iterations tendency to have Kid Goku and Kid Gohan share a voice actress: Saffron Henderson, Stephanie Nadolny, Colleen Clinkenbeard.
Well in this case I don't think the mistake is having the same VA for two related roles of the same age, and more the fact that the vocal performances are identical. For example, Nadolny does (IMO) a great Kid Goku while Clinkenbeard does a great Kid Gohan, but their performances just aren't appropriate in the inverse roles. And while nothing can replace Nadolny in my heart, I'd be very interested to hear what Clinkenbeard would be able to do if she were given the space and time to really carve out and develop a specialized Kid Goku voice, rather than just copy/pasting the Kid Gohan voice for the odd flashback or quick movie dub banger.
MasenkoHA wrote:Frankly I’m kind of surprised they didn’t have Schemmel voice Bardock...
I actually think Schemmel could do a really good Bardock! We know through Goku Black that (despite the controversial direction which I don't want to get into) he can seriously change up the voice whilst still keeping the core Goku recognizeability.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:12 am

KBABZ wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:I don’t think it’s that different from the English iterations tendency to have Kid Goku and Kid Gohan share a voice actress: Saffron Henderson, Stephanie Nadolny, Colleen Clinkenbeard.
Well in this case I don't think the mistake is having the same VA for two related roles of the same age, and more the fact that the vocal performances are identical. For example, Nadolny does (IMO) a great Kid Goku while Clinkenbeard does a great Kid Gohan, but their performances just aren't appropriate in the inverse roles. And while nothing can replace Nadolny in my heart, I'd be very interested to hear what Clinkenbeard would be able to do if she were given the space and time to really carve out and develop a specialized Kid Goku voice, rather than just copy/pasting the Kid Gohan voice for the odd flashback or quick movie dub banger.
MasenkoHA wrote:Frankly I’m kind of surprised they didn’t have Schemmel voice Bardock...
I actually think Schemmel could do a really good Bardock! We know through Goku Black that (despite the controversial direction which I don't want to get into) he can seriously change up the voice whilst still keeping the core Goku recognizeability.
Yeah no question there, i believe that Colleen's voice as Goku would have been better in Blood Rubies had she tried to make it sound distinctly different from her kid Gohan which sounds about the same more or less as her performance as Luffy in the One Piece dub.

That's very interesting, i think his Goku Black voice would be a good fit if they ever were to do a re dub of the Bardock special.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:32 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:That's very interesting, i think his Goku Black voice would be a good fit if they ever were to do a re dub of the Bardock special.
I think that would piss off the "Bardock is a savage" crowd even more than DB- itself did!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:45 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:That's very interesting, i think his Goku Black voice would be a good fit if they ever were to do a re dub of the Bardock special.
I think that would piss off the "Bardock is a savage" crowd even more than DB- itself did!
Yeah, i wasn't being serious though. I know they won't actually do that besides it doesn't look like they are going to redub the special snytime soon anyway.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:00 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Yeah, i wasn't being serious though. I know they won't actually do that besides it doesn't look like they are going to redub the special snytime soon anyway.
Shame really, it'd be nice to have that and the Trunks Special side-by-side and watchable with Kai.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:19 am

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: I think that would piss off the "Bardock is a savage" crowd even more than DB- itself did!
Shame really, it'd be nice to have that and the Trunks Special side-by-side and watchable with Kai.
Yeah because of how early on that they were dubbed, even though i mostly watched them subbed it would be nice if they were to give both new re dubs.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:41 am

MasenkoHA wrote:So I wonder if anyone has any guess why Harmony Gold skipped Sleeping Princess in Devil’s castle.
They might have chosen movie 3 for Arale's scenes, as they'd also dubbed some of Dr Slump.