Does Sean Schemmel smoke?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Does Sean Schemmel smoke?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:28 am

I'm watching the Funi-redub of Goku vs vegeta and then the Kai version and I notices shemmels voice was a lot more throaty (for lack of a better word) which I notice happens to a lot of people who smoke. Does anyone know?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does sean shemmel smoke?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:36 am

Watching the dub my personal theory is Funimation’s recording studio is next to a gas station that has cigarettes for really cheap if bought in a bundle.

Though really of all the “Funimation voice actor whose performance make them sound like they smoke 6 packs a day” Schemmel ranks pretty low on the list

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:52 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Watching the dub my personal theory is Funimation’s recording studio is next to a gas station that has cigarettes for really cheap if bought in a bundle.

Though really of all the “Funimation voice actor whose performance make them sound like they smoke 6 packs a day” Schemmel ranks pretty low on the list
True haha, but it seems like a noticeable change in the quality of his voice.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:59 am

If you think that's bad....wait until Buu arc of Kai and you hear his SS3 Goku voice.... /: Thank god SS3 isn't in modern DB much, absolutely hate his voice for that form Buu Kai wqs going so well too up until that point.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:17 am

I don't think so, but Chris Sabat used to at one point and Eric Vale IIRC.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:31 am

I would have a hard time believing that any professional voice actor or vocal performer whose livelihood depends on preserving and taking care of their voice, would smoke. It's the equivalent of a hand model biting his or her fingernails. I don't doubt that a bunch of them used to smoke, but at some point when this little voice acting gig goes from paying the rent to becoming a full-blown career, any smart person would quit the habits that could hinder that career. Voice acting is very demanding in breathing, which isn't exactly a smoker's companion. Furthermore, Sean played the French horn growing up and might (or might not) have done some singing. So, I don't know if Sean Schemmel smokes or not, but I'm going to go ahead and give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he's too smart for that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:47 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:I would have a hard time believing that any professional voice actor or vocal performer whose livelihood depends on preserving and taking care of their voice, would smoke. It's the equivalent of a hand model biting his or her fingernails. I don't doubt that a bunch of them used to smoke, but at some point when this little voice acting gig goes from paying the rent to becoming a full-blown career, any smart person would quit the habits that could hinder that career. Voice acting is very demanding in breathing, which isn't exactly a smoker's companion. Furthermore, Sean played the French horn growing up and might (or might not) have done some singing. So, I don't know if Sean Schemmel smokes or not, but I'm going to go ahead and give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he's too smart for that.

I mean, Nadolny, Vollmer, Sabat, Vale, and Young all sound like they chainsmoke if their performances indicate anything.

Schemmel, for whatever criticism you can say about his performances never sound like he smoked between recordings.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:16 pm

I recall Sabat saying he smoked for a while.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:19 pm

The rasp in in half the cast's voices makes it sound like they're bringing their smokes right to the recording studio.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:01 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:The rasp in in half the cast's voices makes it sound like they're bringing their smokes right to the recording studio.
The rasping at least fits for Trunks but what a shame Trunks was never that great of a character. He went from killing Mecha Freeza to a used car salesman. :(

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:28 pm

No way of knowing unless someone asks him or catches him red handed out in public smoking.

I wouldn't say the throaty sound in Funi's redub guarantees anything though. The real difference for me in Kai was the confidence in Schemmel's performance. He knew what he was doing and as a result sounded much more at ease and natural whereas the Z redub left a lot to be desired.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:07 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:No way of knowing unless someone asks him or catches him red handed out in public smoking.

I wouldn't say the throaty sound in Funi's redub guarantees anything though. The real difference for me in Kai was the confidence in Schemmel's performance. He knew what he was doing and as a result sounded much more at ease and natural whereas the Z redub left a lot to be desired.
He has gotten a lot better, before i just watched a few clips and thought he was channeling Nozawa (the raspyness) of her screems similar to kelamis, but then I watched a few episodes and noticed he voice overall was like that

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:14 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:He has gotten a lot better, before i just watched a few clips and thought he was channeling Nozawa (the raspyness) of her screems similar to kelamis, but then I watched a few episodes and noticed he voice overall was like that
Schemmel's Goku on the Super Broly dub sounds fairly similar to Masako, imo. Goofy, immature, happy go lucky and a somewhat 'light' voice rather than heroic/deep that's how I'd recognize Goku as.

"Ally to good, nightmare to you" think FUNimation mixed up Marvel/DC with anime back then. :P

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:He has gotten a lot better, before i just watched a few clips and thought he was channeling Nozawa (the raspyness) of her screems similar to kelamis, but then I watched a few episodes and noticed he voice overall was like that
Schemmel's Goku on the Super Broly dub sounds fairly similar to Masako, imo. Goofy, immature, happy go lucky and a somewhat 'light' voice rather than heroic/deep that's how I'd recognize Goku as.

"Ally to good, nightmare to you" think FUNimation mixed up Marvel/DC with anime back then. :P
Thats good! I havent seen it.dubbed it, but that sounds good :D

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:22 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Thats good! I havent seen it.dubbed it, but that sounds good :D
It's a movie well worth watching and re-watching time and time again. I plan on buying the Spanish and US Blu-rays for the dubs (the US BD for both - dub and sub).

I'm hoping there's a sequel and Freeza gets his wish. xD

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:24 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Thats good! I havent seen it.dubbed it, but that sounds good :D
It's a movie well worth watching and re-watching time and time again. I plan on buying the Spanish and US Blu-rays for the dubs (the US BD for both - dub and sub).

I'm hoping there's a sequel and Freeza gets his wish. xD
I hope there's a sequel and we cut to Commander Red in hell shouting "That was MY idea!!"

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Does Sean Schemmel smoke?

Post by uncutpokemon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Alright so I don't know anything about Sean smoking. But I do know from a panel that Sabat stated that he smoked back in his 20s, but quit before he started voice acting. As for Vale, I'm not surprised as his other role besides Trunks is Sanji from One Piece, so it's likely he smokes to give Sanji that slight rasp of a smoker to make it sound right.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:35 pm

My guess is that his voice has just been changing over the years as he's gotten older (after all, it's been like 20 years since he started). And I guess all the screaming and shouting that he does for Goku hasn't been too kind to his throat.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:00 pm

His acting as Goku has definitely improved and become more refined in the nearly 20 years since he started playing the role in 1999, compare his more recent performances in Kai/Super and the most recent movies plus games to when he first started out with the Ginyu episodes and you can definitely tell his modern take isn't nearly as forced sounding as his original season 3 take was.

I don't believe i saw anything that said he was a smoker, at least not like some of the other VA's like Sabat and Vale have previously been before they quit.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:40 pm

NewKakarot wrote:My guess is that his voice has just been changing over the years as he's gotten older (after all, it's been like 20 years since he started). And I guess all the screaming and shouting that he does for Goku hasn't been too kind to his throat.
This.^

That said, Chris Sabat said he used to smoke pretty regularly, even after he landed his roles. I don't know if he still does, though.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."