How Scooby Doo's Shaggy joined DBZ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

How Scooby Doo's Shaggy joined DBZ

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Ultra Instinct Shaggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h9V0nDT9XU

Memes can be real fun to see.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: How Scooby Doo's Shaggy joined DBZ

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:41 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Ultra Instinct Shaggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h9V0nDT9XU

Memes can be real fun to see.
OMG Scooby as a destroyer, i love it!!!! :lol:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:59 pm

Belongs in fan created works forum...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:14 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Belongs in fan created works forum...
No kidding, i can tell that Scooby as a Destroyer piece is obviously a fan created artwork.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:26 pm

I thought the Scooby-DBZ meme was worth a discussion. But if nothing much comes from it, it can be moved to FanWorks.

Anyway a dog should have been one of the gods of destruction, to go with the two cats and the mouse.
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:30 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:I thought the Scooby-DBZ meme was worth a discussion. But if nothing much comes from it, it can be moved to FanWorks.

Anyway a dog should have been one of the gods of destruction, to go with the two cats and the mouse.
I just gotta say that pic of Scooby drawn as a God of Destruction is pretty cool actually.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:13 am

https://www.cbr.com/jump-force-shaggy-mod/

It got so popular it made it to the Jump Force video game.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:51 am

Like how it's allowed in the General Franchise Discussion. Good to know the admin knows the truth.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:12 pm

I LOVE the Ultra Instinct Shaggy joke. It's great.

Though, I do wish Ultra Instinct Jerry had taken off.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:48 pm

Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:55 pm

How is exactly this topic still here?
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:15 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:How is exactly this topic still here?
It has more to do with Dragon Ball than the shitty Mignogna thread.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:37 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I LOVE the Ultra Instinct Shaggy joke. It's great.

Hard disagree. This is fast becoming the "Over 9000" of the 2010s: a Youtube "joke" that was brain-numbingly stupid and never at all funny in the first place being thoroughly run into the ground by morons.

For some perspective on how much this has already been run into the ground by now: there was a petition to have Shaggy included as a guest character in Mortal Kombat 11 that managed to clear over 340,000 signatures. I've seen petitions for shit that actually matters (like ending the Yemeni famine) that only BARELY clear more sigs than that, if they're lucky.

The internet is - broadly speaking at least - basically a mental asylum for special needs patients that's run by cocaine-addicted chimpanzees. Certainly within "nerd spheres" at any rate. Ultra Instinct Shaggy is just their latest inane scribbling drawn with half-eaten crayons and their own feces.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:15 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:I LOVE the Ultra Instinct Shaggy joke. It's great.

Hard disagree. This is fast becoming the "Over 9000" of the 2010s: a Youtube "joke" that was brain-numbingly stupid and never at all funny in the first place being thoroughly run into the ground by morons.

[...]

The internet is - broadly speaking at least - basically a mental asylum for special needs patients that's run by cocaine-addicted chimpanzees. Certainly within "nerd spheres" at any rate. Ultra Instinct Shaggy is just their latest inane scribbling drawn with half-eaten crayons and their own feces.
Eh, I still enjoy it.

Yeah, it's a really dumb meme that usually requires far less effort than, say, an involved Steamed Hams edit, so it's arguably pretty inane even among dumb memes, but it makes me laugh, it brings a smile to my face, I'm clearly not alone in that... It's harmless fun, man.
Kunzait_83 wrote:For some perspective on how much this has already been run into the ground by now: there was a petition to have Shaggy included as a guest character in Mortal Kombat 11 that managed to clear over 340,000 signatures. I've seen petitions for shit that actually matters (like ending the Yemeni famine) that only BARELY clear more sigs than that, if they're lucky.
If you don't do something because you could in theory use that time -- or the money you'd spend on that thing -- on charitable work, no one would ever do anything, and most people would probably have some kind of mental breakdown on a regular basis.
Yes, signing important petitions and doing charitable stuff is a good thing to do, and people should absolutely make time for that if they possibly can, but ragging on people for spending their leisure time doing something dumb when they could be doing something important is just a silly criticism to have.

Yes, I could spend a couple of free hours I have on a particular day volunteering at a food bank or something, but everyone needs leisure time, time to recharge their batteries, time to just sit and chill, time to take a break from the troubles of the world, and curling up on my sofa with a video game or shitposting about Ultra Instinct Shaggy with my friends is a solid use of my time for that reason. If I don't take a break, do stuff for myself that's entertaining, I'd probably have some kind of mental breakdown, as most people who don't take some time to chill out tend to. Are you really going to criticise someone for just needing some chill time, and spending that time posting dumb memes that are arguably stale?

Yes, it's perfectly justified to roll your eyes at what you consider to be a stale meme, and yes it's mildly depressing that so many petitions like the one you mentioned were so widely ignored, but ragging on people for spending their leisure time/break time/whatever on something that you personally don't think is very funny... Well, all this time you're spending posting these long, involved posts on Kanzenshuu -- while they are very entertaining, and I imagine you get much enjoyment out of them -- would surely be better spent volunteering at a food bank or something, no? :wink:

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:26 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Well, all this time you're spending posting these long, involved posts on Kanzenshuu -- while they are very entertaining, and I imagine you get much enjoyment out of them -- would surely be better spent volunteering at a food bank or something, no? :wink:
I spend a considerably large chunk of my day to day time doing both State-level legislative work (taking meetings with Senators and State Reps to try and help get certain bills to pass), as well as street activism and helping to organize over 1500 volunteer activists across my State. It also looks like I might possibly be getting into broader community organizing as well later in the year.

The time I spend on this forum at the end of the day is, believe it or not, exceedingly minimal. And with only a small handful of notable exceptions (the Wuxia thread, my two-part response to one of Gaffer Tape's videos, etc.) just about every single one of my "trademark long-ass" posts takes me a VERY short amount of time and little effort to hammer out: I usually don't need more than 5 or 10 minutes for the vast majority of them. I think fast and type fast. :P
Robo4900 wrote:Are you really going to criticise someone for just needing some chill time, and spending that time posting dumb memes that are arguably stale?
Nope. Not at all what I'm saying or doing.

Since you brought it up though, what I AM going to do instead is criticize a VAST chunk of online "geek culture" for, in a VERY broad sense mind you (obviously there are many pockets of individual people out there who are awesome and to whom this doesn't at all apply to) for putting FAR too much of their (in many cases, vast abundance of) free time and mental energy into leisure and entertainment/hobbies instead of actually educating themselves about real life (to say nothing of spending VASTLY more time out living in it instead of locked away in their room with their cartoon and toy collections), and having a critical understanding of the world around them...

- which might, god forbid, possibly lead to MUCH more time better spent doing something genuinely constructive with their lives instead of whiling away their teens, 20s, and 30s shitposting lame-ass, godawful, brain-damaged memes -

...instead of being passive shut-ins who (again, in many cases, broadly speaking) opt to wallow in self-pity and petty resentments instead of doing some serious self-analysis and self-improvement; which then causes them to spill all that internalized, corrosive ugliness out onto the internet - and in many cases, right on up into other people's personal lives - and help further instigate and worsen a FUCKLOAD of the problems you see going on out there every day. And lest you think I'm strawmanning here, take a look inside the Vic Mignogna thread on here, or into numerous corners of places like 4chan, Reddit, Youtube, Twitter, and so on.

NONE of which is REMOTELY the same thing mind you as a normal person living a decently productive life who just goes on the internet from time to time to harmlessly goof around.

But that's obviously a MUCH bigger topic unto itself which is entirely beside the point of this (fairly pointless) thread. :) But yes, things like the Shaggy meme are super dumb and witless, and far too many people on the internet in a general sense (and particularly in a lot of online geek spaces as a whole) have a disturbing tendency to be either total lunatics, complete fucking idiots, or some combination of both. And yes, I WILL draw a correlation (albeit a very nuanced one with a whole myriad of other different factors surrounding it) between that and online chan/meme/shitposting culture eating up more of people's free time than actually cracking open an honest to god actual book about something real and trying to work on being better, more rounded and critically-engaged people in general.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:32 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Well, all this time you're spending posting these long, involved posts on Kanzenshuu -- while they are very entertaining, and I imagine you get much enjoyment out of them -- would surely be better spent volunteering at a food bank or something, no? :wink:
I spend a considerably large chunk of my day to day time doing both State-level legislative work (taking meetings with Senators and State Reps to try and help get certain bills to pass), as well as street activism and helping to organize over 1500 volunteer activists across my State. It also looks like I might possibly be getting into broader community organizing as well later in the year.

The time I spend on this forum at the end of the day is, believe it or not, exceedingly minimal. And with only a small handful of notable exceptions (the Wuxia thread, my two-part response to one of Gaffer Tape's videos, etc.) just about every single one of my "trademark long-ass" posts takes me a VERY short amount of time and little effort to hammer out: I usually don't need more than 5 or 10 minutes for the vast majority of them. I think fast and type fast. :P
Robo4900 wrote:Are you really going to criticise someone for just needing some chill time, and spending that time posting dumb memes that are arguably stale?

Since you brought it up though, what I AM going to do instead is criticize a VAST chunk of online "geek culture" for, in a VERY broad sense mind you (obviously there are many pockets of individual people out there who are awesome and to whom this doesn't at all apply to) for putting FAR too much of their (in many cases, vast abundance of) free time and mental energy into leisure and entertainment/hobbies instead of actually educating themselves about real life (to say nothing of spending VASTLY more time out living in it instead of locked away in their room with their cartoon and toy collections), and having a critical understanding of the world around them...

- which might, god forbid, possibly lead to MUCH more time better spent doing something genuinely constructive with their lives instead of whiling away their teens, 20s, and 30s shitposting lame-ass, godawful, brain-damaged memes -

...instead of being passive shut-ins who (again, in many cases, broadly speaking) opt to wallow in self-pity and petty resentments instead of doing some serious self-analysis and self-improvement; which then causes them to spill all that internalized, corrosive ugliness out onto the internet - and in many cases, right on up into other people's personal lives - and help further instigate and worsen a FUCKLOAD of the problems you see going on out there every day. And lest you think I'm strawmanning here, take a look inside the Vic Mignogna thread on here, or into numerous corners of places like 4chan, Reddit, Youtube, Twitter, and so on.

NONE of which is REMOTELY the same thing mind you as a normal person living a decently productive life who just goes on the internet from time to time to harmlessly goof around.

But that's obviously a MUCH bigger topic unto itself which is entirely beside the point of this (fairly pointless) thread. :) But yes, things like the Shaggy meme are super dumb and witless, and far too many people on the internet in a general sense (and particularly in a lot of online geek spaces as a whole) have a disturbing tendency to be either total lunatics, complete fucking idiots, or some combination of both. And yes, I WILL draw a correlation (albeit a very nuanced one with a whole myriad of other different factors surrounding it) between that and online chan/meme/shitposting culture eating up more of people's free time than actually cracking open an honest to god actual book about something real and trying to work on being better, more rounded and critically-engaged people in general.
I don't know about you, but after hours of wasting my time with flat earthers, creationists, neo-nazis, and Vic defenders, it's nice to just cool down by watching/making some goofy videos.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:53 am

I liking More and More this Internet Phenomenon around UI Shaggy and the Scooby Doo Franchise connecting the DB Lore! 8)

Been a BIG Scooby Doo Fan since I was a Kid as young as I can remember, so I am getting allot of fun and coolness out of this! :thumbup:

Now HOW do you Include UI Shaggy, GoD Scooby, Angel Velma and the Rest of the Gang into the DB Mythos?!

EASY; 8)

When DB Super comes back, have one of the effects of Android 17's Wish on the Super Dragon Balls at the end of the ToP Arc to Bring back ALL the Erased Universes TO Include also the Universes Erased BEFORE the ToP arc and Make one of those Universes be where the DB Scooby Gang is From! :wink:

Also, Their Universe number can be Universe 13! 8)

Why U-13 ~~~~ Well Most ANYONE that is Knowledgeable of the Scooby Doo Mythos will get Why they be from Universe 13 and how that Number fits them so well with their Mythos! :wink: :lol:

--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:09 am

UI Shaggy was only funny as an offshoot of the El Hermano/Gohan Blanco meme train (mocking silly fan theories and cliches), via sheer randomness. I think it started with Shaggy randomly showing up on parodic power level charts. It was a one-off, over and done with. Running it into the ground this way is missing the point and in my opinion the meme has long since worn out its welcome.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:24 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
I love it. 10/10. More please. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:I don't know about you, but after hours of wasting my time with flat earthers, creationists, neo-nazis, and Vic defenders, it's nice to just cool down by watching/making some goofy videos.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sometimes, you just need to chill. Sometimes that means watching reruns of Futurama, sometimes that means sitting and re-reading Harry Potter for the millionth time, and sometimes it means just going on YouTube and watching a perfectly-executed Mega Man Battle Network Steamed Hams video.
You do you, fam. It's your chill time, there should be no judgement on how you spend it. :)

Especially if you have to deal with flat earthers. I'm always in awe that such stupidity and ignorance can even exist in this day and age...
Kunzait_83 wrote:

Yes, but surely that's 5 or 10 minutes you could spend doing more street activism, etc? ;)

Again, this works precisely into my point; this is your free time. I don't think it's fair to judge how someone spends their free time in such a way. Except in jest, of course. ;)
(For the record, I do appreciate your presence on Kanzenshuu; even if I don't always agree with you, you're always an interesting part of the threads you post in. Just thought I should make that totally clear... My taking the piss out of you for posting your trademark long posts was in jest, to illustrate a side of the point I'm trying to make)
Kunzait_83 wrote:

I agree with you 100% until that last part, so I'll first just say... Yeah, definitely. So many people out there need to get off their asses and take some time to improve themselves. Even something as simple as stepping away from the PC and reading a book, or putting on some videos about history or something while they're playing a video game could do a world of good.
Just the tiniest thing to get someone to step outside their own shoes, get an even slightly different perspective, or even just a somewhat broader one, on something...

But, while I can understand the frustration in looking at these Shaggy memes and having the association you've got in your head with the people behind them -- which I can understand; certain phrases, memes, and attitudes will immediately turn me into "STOP RUINING THE INTERNET AND YOURSELF BY BEING A GODDAMN SHUT-IN TROGLODITE WITH NO SENSE OF WHAT IT IS TO BE HUMAN!!" mode, such as someone outwardly taking a stance of #IStandWithVic -- ultimately, I think the Shaggy memes are simply an outlet. A chunk of people misusing that outlet personally, to no detriment to anyone but themselves, isn't a problem with the Shaggy memes as much as it's a problem with internet culture, and Shaggy memes are, not a cause or even a catalyst of it, but simply another thing that such culture can latch onto.
It calls to mind, for me, the situations of Watchmen and Infinity War(the Infinity War movie specifically. I've only read the book of Watchmen, and only seen the movie of IW, but I'm given to understand IW is very different, while Watchmen is pretty much page-to-screen...), where despite being fantastic works in and of themselves, there's a certain element of discomfort among some regarding these works, because of how certain interpretations can have some rather horrible implications... Thanos being the central character of Infinity War can be looked at as an interesting deconstructionist take on the kind of extremism he exhibits, which somewhat tears down the "i am burdened by this great honourbound goal i must enact at all costs, and no one can stop me" kind of thing some rather grim superheroes can take, but one could also look at it as celebrating this kind of attitude, with the oft-cited crux of this being an uncomfortable take being a key scene that, from this point of view, sends the message that abuse is love.
And as we saw with Watchmen, some people will look at a deconstructionist work that goes to horrible places like that, and takes the characters as aspirational rather than satirical. And to some people, who have to deal with the kinds of attitudes that kind of take would imply, this is a frustrating, depressing, and awful thing to have to confront, so Watchmen and IW become problematic works for these people.

So... Sometimes something can become attached to some awful people who use it as an outlet for their awful behaviour. The thing isn't in the wrong, the people being awful are... I'm quite good at separating such things, but some aren't. And in this case, it seems I can simply enjoy Shaggy memes at face value, but you can't. I imagine you not finding them funny is somewhat central to this; I suppose if there's no entertainment value, then all there is is this association with awfulness, in which case... Yeah, Shaggy memes must be very frustrating for you to see. :lol: