GT's Opening Alternative Story

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

GT's Opening Alternative Story

Post by Xeogran » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:18 pm

I'm not sure if this was ever discussed, but what is the story behind GT's Opening? It's quite unusual for an intro to show us an adventure of it's own, different to the one from episodes. For example Mr. Satan being seen in space sending off the gang (most likely because of Pan being with them)

There's also an interesting observation of mine that Giru was possibly meant to be Bulma's invention at first, since he was seen with Pan right as they were leaving to space.
Then there are things like the Aqua Planet, an ostrich swallowing DB, Trunks having a Sword, or the Iron Giant that never made it to the series.
Some other things like Pan driving a spaceship however did, albeit under a different variation
Was anything ever stated about how did the opening came to be, and how comes it was so different from the actual series?

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Re: GT's Opening Alternative Story

Post by NeoKING » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:29 pm

Not sure, but I always wished we seen more of that stuff from the OP. Goku and Trunks vs. that giant looked dope and much better than the entire Luud conflict.

Also would’ve loved to see Trunks using blasters like he did in that one Toriyama GT illustration he did for Jump.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:42 pm

I think the OP was more of a sizzle reel than anything actually intended to be in the series. You'll find the same thing with most of the OP footage of DB and Z too.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:58 pm

NeoKING wrote: Also would’ve loved to see Trunks using blasters like he did in that one Toriyama GT illustration he did for Jump.
He also wields sword in this opening, as well as Final Bout opening and in Xenoverse for some reason. Oh and he also uses it in DBGT Transformation for GBA.
Funny considering he never used it in actual anime even once.

Blasters look cool but i'm afraid people would say using Ki is better idea unless those would be VERY powerful blasters made by Capsule Corp.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:21 am

Xeogran wrote:
Was anything ever stated about how did the opening came to be, and how comes it was so different from the actual series?
There is a statement by the GT showrunner/s that was translated here about a year ago, in it the person/s interviewed did admit that back during the Pre-Production phase the Toei staff wanted to make the Black Star Dragon Balls Saga a bit longer with the heroes visiting a few other planets like one which is a HUGE jail full with prisoners, I can only asume that it's the one seen in the intro with Pan in the spacecraft BUT they had to cancel those ideas and cut straight to the Baby Saga due to it seeming too long/repitative for the space adventures plot.

Also, it is important to note that MOST of the intro happens on that aqua planet, even the grey robotic giant they destroy at the cave at the end of it is just a local to that planet.