Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:01 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
KinguKurimuzon wrote: Hopefully this means a new remaster so I can finally toss my Blu Bricks out the window. I'd probably kill myself if it turned out to be those same releases in a new packaging.
What if it's censored like the movies?
There's been no signs at this point that they are going to extend that same type of editing to the series as well, i mean yeah there was Kai but that's a different story.
There were no signs of it before it suddenly happened on the blu Ray release of the movies. Heck, the amazon remasters that came out before the bds were uncut, so why are you using this argument that "there has been no signs"?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:12 am

sangofe wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
sangofe wrote:
What if it's censored like the movies?
There's been no signs at this point that they are going to extend that same type of editing to the series as well, i mean yeah there was Kai but that's a different story.
There were no signs of it before it suddenly happened on the blu Ray release of the movies. Heck, the amazon remasters that came out before the bds were uncut, so why are you using this argument that "there has been no signs"?
Ok, apparently i am just having a bizarre train of thought or something. I meant that i am not so sure that they will pull the same stunt with the show as the movies.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:57 pm

I'm willing to bet that Toonami's big announcement is that they're going to be putting Z back on the air, with the new Toei remasters and maybe a new dub from FUNi. Which would mean that FUNimation will have done two new dubs for Z (Kai and this new one), while OG Dragon Ball continues to get the shaft... :problem:
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:36 am

PremiumSalt wrote:I'm willing to bet that Toonami's big announcement is that they're going to be putting Z back on the air, with the new Toei remasters and maybe a new dub from FUNi. Which would mean that FUNimation will have done two new dubs for Z (Kai and this new one), while OG Dragon Ball continues to get the shaft... :problem:
There is no way Funimation will redub z. That's way too much money and time spent.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:14 am

NewKakarot wrote:Really hope we get an updated Dragon Box release (on Blu-ray). The DVDs are ridiculously expensive on the secondary market, and they're only in standard definition.
The Dragon Boxes go for no more than $100 per box last I checked. Except maybe for 2. So this is not accurate.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:24 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote:
NewKakarot wrote:Really hope we get an updated Dragon Box release (on Blu-ray). The DVDs are ridiculously expensive on the secondary market, and they're only in standard definition.
The Dragon Boxes go for no more than $100 per box last I checked. Except maybe for 2. So this is not accurate.
I mean, i have personally been able to get most of them on eBay from auctions for less than that even. Occasionally with some diligent searching every now and then you can find some in the wild not being listed for ridiculously high prices and with the exception of volumes 4 and 7 i have all the rest of them.

In fact, i actually got Dragon Box 1 used a few years ago from my now since closed local Movie Stop of all places for only about $20 something and some change, now that was one heck of an amazing find in their sizable anime section.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:07 pm

sangofe wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:I'm willing to bet that Toonami's big announcement is that they're going to be putting Z back on the air, with the new Toei remasters and maybe a new dub from FUNi. Which would mean that FUNimation will have done two new dubs for Z (Kai and this new one), while OG Dragon Ball continues to get the shaft... :problem:
There is no way Funimation will redub z. That's way too much money and time spent.
They could use the Kai audio for most of it, so that elukd mitigate some of the cost. It would still be a bit much. Also, I heard Toonami's announcement was some sort of giveaway
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:10 pm

gokaiblue wrote:
sangofe wrote:
They could use the Kai audio for most of it, so that elukd mitigate some of the cost. It would still be a bit much. Also, I heard Toonami's announcement was some sort of giveaway
Kai would be half of it not most. And using half archived audio and half newly recorded dialog would just sound dumb

They’re not going to redub DBZ. It would be cool if they redubbed DB and DBZ from top to bottom but they won’t. Too much money and their wider consumer base likes DBZ dubbed the way it is despite it being crap.

The only way I could see a full redub happening is if Funimation somehow lost the license and another company grabbed it and decided to make their own dub. And even then slim chance

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:29 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:30 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Kai would be half of it not most. And using half archived audio and half newly recorded dialog would just sound dumb

They’re not going to redub DBZ. It would be cool if they redubbed DB and DBZ from top to bottom but they won’t. Too much money and their wider consumer base likes DBZ dubbed the way it is despite it being crap.

The only way I could see a full redub happening is if Funimation somehow lost the license and another company grabbed it and decided to make their own dub. And even then slim chance

I'd love there to be a consistent re dub of the entirety of DBZ and not just their patchwork selective Orange Brick re dub from 2007, but that's not going to happen at this point.

The prospect of there being a complete redub is sadly a pipe dream, and i really don't see FUNi losing their license anytime soon unless something significant happens between them and Toei in the coming years.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:33 pm

It is Toei, so i wouldnt raise my hopes too much, if there will be BD release, i hope terrible sales of censored Movies will make it they wont change footage ever again...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:44 pm

gokaiblue wrote:They could use the Kai audio for most of it, so that elukd mitigate some of the cost. It would still be a bit much. Also, I heard Toonami's announcement was some sort of giveaway
That wouldn't work on several levels. As pointed out by Masenko, Kai only covers half the audio of Z, which means there's still a LOT of work to do left over for a dub who's target audience is perfectly satisfied (and any critics will either go to Kai or stick to the Japanese audio). More than that however is the context of this dialogue. Scenes and shots that would have previously referred to filler are now adjusted to work assuming they aren't there anymore, and that's important even for the Japanese script. On top of that, there are many scenes, most of them in the Namek arc, which are pasted in from across a multitude of episodes, and are dubbed as that order of scenes. You can't just take that dialogue and put it back into the original episodes.

Take for example the scene where Frieza, having just sent Zarbon to search for Vegeta, ponders the situation thus far regarding who has what Dragon Balls. That scene, despite being from the manga, comes from the Bulma and the Crabs episode in Z, and thus plays as the B-plot of that episode and is entirely individualized (which often necessitates the addition of flashbacks due to how long ago that was for the audience). The Kai version however has that scene in and among other important ones that directly play into it, thus the performance will be slightly different under the context.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:52 pm

KBABZ wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:They could use the Kai audio for most of it, so that elukd mitigate some of the cost. It would still be a bit much. Also, I heard Toonami's announcement was some sort of giveaway
That wouldn't work on several levels. As pointed out by Masenko, Kai only covers half the audio of Z, which means there's still a LOT of work to do left over for a dub who's target audience is perfectly satisfied (and any critics will either go to Kai or stick to the Japanese audio). More than that however is the context of this dialogue. Scenes and shots that would have previously referred to filler are now adjusted to work assuming they aren't there anymore, and that's important even for the Japanese script. On top of that, there are many scenes, most of them in the Namek arc, which are pasted in from across a multitude of episodes, and are dubbed as that order of scenes. You can't just take that dialogue and put it back into the original episodes.

Take for example the scene where Frieza, having just sent Zarbon to search for Vegeta, ponders the situation thus far regarding who has what Dragon Balls. That scene, despite being from the manga, comes from the Bulma and the Crabs episode in Z, and thus plays as the B-plot of that episode and is entirely individualized (which often necessitates the addition of flashbacks due to how long ago that was for the audience). The Kai version however has that scene in and among other important ones that directly play into it, thus the performance will be slightly different under the context.
Yes, and combine that with the amount of pure filler material they cut out not just individual scenes but whole episodes and scenarios that did not happen in the manga. Trying to insert the revised version of dialogue from Kai into the originals simply wouldn't mesh at all considering how different they are at their base.

Kai is a faster paced product with the intention of being closer to the manga, and was produced in most aspects with that intention in mind.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:57 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Yes, and combine that with the amount of pure filler they cut out not just individual scenes but whole episodes and scenarios that did not happen in the manga. Trying to insert the revised version of dialogue from Kai into the originals simply wouldn't mesh at all considering how different they are at their base.

Kai is a faster paced product with the intention of being closer to the manga, and was produced in most aspects with that intention in mind.
All true, but what I think gokaiblue was implying was that they use the Kai dialogue for half the show, meaning they only have the other half of Z to redub today.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:58 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Yes, and combine that with the amount of pure filler they cut out not just individual scenes but whole episodes and scenarios that did not happen in the manga. Trying to insert the revised version of dialogue from Kai into the originals simply wouldn't mesh at all considering how different they are at their base.

All true, but what I think gokaiblue was implying was that they use the Kai dialogue for half the show, meaning they only have the other half of Z to redub today.
Yes, though as you and MasenkoHA mentioned already it simply wouldn't work for the reasons listed above. Kai is it's own animal with a specific purpose of being closer to the original source manga, and the newer revised dialogue just simply cannot be mixed and matched together with the original show.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
RedHeat wrote:Not sure if I should ask here, but what are the chances of them announcing a new anime at that huge San Diego CC event they mentioned?
Hopefully never.

We don’t need a new anime.
Unfortunately to you, a new anime is most likely going to be announced sometime soon this year.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:30 pm

If FUNi makes a proper release of the series I will finally buy it, I don't own the orange bricks or the Blu-rays because I won't support widescreen BS-remastered DBZ in any form whatsoever, period. Too bad I missed the Dragon Boxes and I was prepared to buy the Level sets but I held off and I'm glad I did due to their cancellation.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:40 pm

Char Aznable wrote:If FUNi makes a proper release of the series I will finally buy it, I don't own the orange bricks or the Blu-rays because I won't support widescreen BS-remastered DBZ in any form whatsoever, period. Too bad I missed the Dragon Boxes and I was prepared to buy the Level sets but I held off and I'm glad I did due to their cancellation.
Same story with me, though i resorted to getting the Dragon Boxes wherever i could because there was no way in hell i was going to waste my money on their crap DNR'd to oblivion, 16:9 faux "remastered" versions either the OB's or Season BDs. It is a darn shame though that the Levels sadly bit the dust just after beginning release, because had they kept on producing them i would have been happy to get the rest because of how promising they looked video quality wise and when it seemed like for a moment that FUNi had finally gotten it right at last.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:58 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote:
How is that not expensive? It'll be $700+ to own the whole series and one that is a terrible adaptation of Toriyama's manga, has a terrible dub and awful sound for the JPN audio and then no one is ever gonna get their money worth because of the lack of re-rewatchability the series has. How often is one gonna watch a 291 ep series? I'd imagine not often.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:36 am

I have missed the english Dragon Box and with Orange Bricks, that I won't comment on and I am not sold on those blurays either, I will be happy if this will be english release of the original japanese format in HD.
I am playing movies and shows on PS4 and Sony HDTV and DVDs look like hell and are unwatchable.

I hope, it will be for a reasonable price. Batman TAS was released remastered on Bluray for 70 dollars - complete series!!!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88