Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:56 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Paulo Gabriel wrote:
NewKakarot wrote:Really hope we get an updated Dragon Box release (on Blu-ray). The DVDs are ridiculously expensive on the secondary market, and they're only in standard definition.
The Dragon Boxes go for no more than $100 per box last I checked. Except maybe for 2. So this is not accurate.
How is that not expensive? It'll be $700+ to own the whole series and one that is a terrible adaptation of Toriyama's manga, has a terrible dub and awful sound for the JPN audio and then no one is ever gonna get their money worth because of the lack of re-rewatchability the series has. How often is one gonna watch a 291 ep series? I'd imagine not often.
Exactly, even with the best deals out there the Dragon Boxes are still expensive for what they are. If there was an uncropped complete standard definition release of Dragon Ball Z widely available no one would say paying $700 for a Collector's Edition version of that. That's looking at 3-4 times what most people would be willing to pay just to have slightly better colours, booklets and a sturdier box to keep the DVD cases in. The improved picture quality and extra packaging is most certainly nice to have but it's not worth paying hundreds of extra dollars for. I sold my Dragon Boxes as it made more sense to wait and see if TOEI would be remastering the series (which now looks likely) because there is every chance that release will look better, cost less (for the time being), contain more episodes per disc and be on a more durable format than the Dragon Boxes.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:03 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Paulo Gabriel wrote:
The Dragon Boxes go for no more than $100 per box last I checked. Except maybe for 2. So this is not accurate.
How is that not expensive? It'll be $700+ to own the whole series and one that is a terrible adaptation of Toriyama's manga, has a terrible dub and awful sound for the JPN audio and then no one is ever gonna get their money worth because of the lack of re-rewatchability the series has. How often is one gonna watch a 291 ep series? I'd imagine not often.
Exactly, even with the best deals out there the Dragon Boxes are still expensive for what they are. If there was an uncropped complete standard definition release of Dragon Ball Z widely available no one would say paying $700 for a Collector's Edition version of that. That's looking at 3-4 times what most people would be willing to pay just to have slightly better colours, booklets and a sturdier box to keep the DVD cases in. The improved picture quality and extra packaging is most certainly nice to have but it's not worth paying hundreds of extra dollars for. I sold my Dragon Boxes as it made more sense to wait and see if TOEI would be remastering the series (which now looks likely) because there is every chance that release will look better, cost less (for the time being), contain more episodes per disc and be on a more durable format than the Dragon Boxes.
That right there is the issue that FUNi and Toei face of this indeed is Z series release and not movies. Much cheaper releases of the series already exists in three versions (OB's, BD's and Kai) no matter how they market this release, if it is main Z series, it is gonna be difficult, a proper remaster is gonna expensive. Would folks cough up $500+ up front? Since Toei are involved we can kiss any chance of the broadcast audio goodbye, less incentive for hardcore fans already. If it's like the level sets a volume release could be another instance of cancellation because again why would people bother especially when the new material is also being released.

That is why I think this will be the movies JPN got, they can market it similar to how they did Rock the Dragon

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:35 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:, they can market it similar to how they did Rock the Dragon
How do you figure?

Wasn’t Rock the Dragon’s marketing ZOMG nostalgia!!?!?11! and hey that meme remember that meme? It came from this! It’s over 9000!!!!!

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:52 am

In regards to Toei's involvement, I wouldn't give up hope on the Broadcast audio just yet. Funimation most likely knows about the demand and will be able to convince Toei better than yiur average fan
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:, they can market it similar to how they did Rock the Dragon
How do you figure?

Wasn’t Rock the Dragon’s marketing ZOMG nostalgia!!?!?11! and hey that meme remember that meme? It came from this! It’s over 9000!!!!!
Oh I meant easier to market. Like how they had all the 52 eps and the movies in one special collectors packing and charged what $75 was it? I feel like they could do something similar with the old movies and specials put them in a special release charge not too much and I think they'd do well. Plus the old movies haven't had a release for a while too.

I just think main Z series is gonna hard to convince people to be into it, when you can get it "how it was meant to be seen" for chips we saw what happened with DBOXES/Levels FUNi just can't rely on hardcare fans.
A good remaster isn't gonna be cheap, on top of that although picture maybe uncropped etc the JPN audio issues are still gonna be an issue and we'll still be subjected to that terrible dub aswell. Unless of course they do something like print on demand, that might be the smartest way to go about it actually.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:15 pm

The DBoxes and Level sets were two VERY different instances. The Level Sets were meant to be mass marketed. The DBoxes were limited releases.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:30 pm

ABED wrote:The DBoxes and Level sets were two VERY different instances. The Level Sets were meant to be mass marketed. The DBoxes were limited releases.
I actually considered getting the Level Sets back when they were first coming out in 2011 because the quality looked so good and it seemed like FUNi was on the right track, it's a darn shame that they went belly up and got replaced by those crap Season BD's.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:25 pm

TheRed259 wrote:What about Fathom Events?

Do you think they will bring more DBZ Movies in the U.S. theaters?
Seeing as how funi used the uncensored remasters for fathoms, I think it's a good assumption to say we're at least getting the movies(please add ocean audio) Tho I really hope for a better release of the show.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:01 pm

ABED wrote:The DBoxes and Level sets were two VERY different instances. The Level Sets were meant to be mass marketed. The DBoxes were limited releases.
Point this both did poorly, because of other cheaper options available. That's why I think they'll struggle here if these are indeed the proper series whether it is for the general audience or hardcore.

BA will obviously be a different story.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:07 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Point this both did poorly, because of other cheaper options available.
You say they both did poorly but they had two different goals and targets. How do you know the dragon boxes did poorly?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Paulo Gabriel wrote:
NewKakarot wrote:Really hope we get an updated Dragon Box release (on Blu-ray). The DVDs are ridiculously expensive on the secondary market, and they're only in standard definition.
If you think it's a terrible adaptation, then why bother with the anime at all? Let the people who DO care about it to pay as much as they want to. And I speak this as someone who DOES personally prefer the manga, and also thinks the anime is terrible at places.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:44 am

My wishlist for the anime release:
Uncut 4:3
No DNR at all
Similar Colours with the amazon releases of the movies:
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:38 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
How do you figure?

Oh I meant easier to market. Like how they had all the 52 eps and the movies in one special collectors packing and charged what $75 was it? I feel like they could do something similar with the old movies and specials put them in a special release charge not too much and I think they'd do well. Plus the old movies haven't had a release for a while too.

I just think main Z series is gonna hard to convince people to be into it, when you can get it "how it was meant to be seen" for chips we saw what happened with DBOXES/Levels FUNi just can't rely on hardcare fans.
A good remaster isn't gonna be cheap, on top of that although picture maybe uncropped etc the JPN audio issues are still gonna be an issue and we'll still be subjected to that terrible dub aswell. Unless of course they do something like print on demand, that might be the smartest way to go about it actually.
That's not true. The old movies just got a new release by Toei.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:31 pm

Dragon Ball Super Meeting (April 1)
The agency is also celebrating the 30th Anniversary of Dragon Ball, with an event dedicated to the brand in which new plans for 2020-21 will be presented alongside Toei Animation and the main partners.

Source: https://www.licensingmagazine.com/2019/ ... y/?lang=en
mentre a chiusura di giornata Starbright proporrà il Dragon Ball super meeting, dove presenterà le principali novità della prossima stagione.

Google translate:
while at the end of the day Starbright will propose the Dragon Ball super meeting, where it will present the main new features for next season.
Source: https://wearebabynerd.blogspot.com/2019 ... 19-il.html

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:44 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:25 pm
TheRed259 wrote:What about Fathom Events?

Do you think they will bring more DBZ Movies in the U.S. theaters?
Seeing as how funi used the uncensored remasters for fathoms, I think it's a good assumption to say we're at least getting the movies(please add ocean audio) Tho I really hope for a better release of the show.
It's my understanding that FUNi had no involvement in the Fathom Events DBZ movie screenings last year.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:58 am

'DRAGON BALL' CELEBRATES WHIRLWIND YEAR
Toei Animation and Funimation have released their annual Dragon Ball franchise report, detailing a whirlwind year chock full of new licensing deals, events, releases and celebrations in support of the 30th anniversary of “Dragon Ball Z.”

2019 marks the 25th anniversary of “Dragon Ball’s” introduction to U.S. and Canadian audiences and the 30th anniversary of the “Dragon Ball Z” anime series.

The celebrations included last year’s release of a new film, Dragon Ball Super: Broly, which earned $30 million at the box office; the North American Dragon Ball Tour, which spanned seven months and showcased exclusive licensed figures as well as electronic games; an appearance at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with the debut of a giant-sized Goku helium balloon and successful collaborations with Bioworld (apparel), Adidas (footwear) and Primitive (apparel).

Toei Animation and Funimation have inked a host of new deals including:

Accutime for two new watch collections based on “Dragon Ball Super” and “Dragon Ball Z”;

Underboss for two collections including underwear, sleepwear, swimwear and Mo-Show socks based “Dragon Ball Super” and “Dragon Ball Z”;

Rabbit Tanaka for a collection of tattoo sleeves, dimensional shadow boxes, MDF board signs and tin signs based on “Dragon Ball Super”;

Spirit Halloween for a direct-to-retail collection of adult and children Halloween costumes and accessories based on “Dragon Ball Super”;

Traly for a collection of enamel pins for Target based on “Dragon Ball Z”;

Fusion FG for a collection of fighting gi, rash guards, spats and fighting shorts based on “Dragon Ball Z”;

Ground Up for a collection of casual footwear, seasonal footwear, sandals, slides, flip flops and slippers based on “Dragon Ball Z”;

Party City for two direct-to-retail collections of adult and children Halloween costumes and accessories based on “Dragon Ball Super” and “Dragon Ball Z”;

Primitive Skate Company for a new co-branded collection based on “Dragon ¬Ball Super”;

Naked and Famous for a co-branded Dragon Ball Z x Naked and Famous collection of denim pants and jackets based on “Dragon Ball Z” and

Transworld Entertainment for a direct-to-retail collection of consumables, confectioneries, beverages, beauty products, soap, bath bombs and scents based on “Dragon Ball Z.”

Looking ahead to June, Toei Animation and Funimation will be actively seeking new partners at Licensing Expo 2019 for “Dragon Ball Super” and “Dragon Ball Z”-themed merchandise in a variety of categories including pet accessories, bedding, health and beauty.

Source: https://www.licenseglobal.com/televisio ... lwind-year

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:09 am

"Oh, and the first anime exists as well I guess"

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:34 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:09 am "Oh, and the first anime exists as well I guess"
Yeah, this attitude being taken by Toei and Funi has always really annoyed me. Can they actually celebrate and recognise the whole original run, not just the middle 300 episodes?

Still, maybe once they've got the new Z remaster out, DB and GT will follow along. And hey, who knows, maybe Funi will even import their remasters this time around.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:37 am

pet accessories, bedding, health and beauty
Nice. Hey guys, if the Blu-ray set isn't made or ends up being a piece of crap, at least we'll still have our pet accessories, bedding, and health and beauty products.