Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:02 pm

Toei Animation
2019 marks the landmark 30th anniversary of “Dragon Ball Z,” which Toei plans to celebrate via a host of major events, licensing deals, promotions, product launches and activations fit for a property of this magnitude.

Bandai Namco Entertainment
Though Bandai Namco Entertainment is not prepared to officially announce future releases in partnership with Toei, according to Hartness, there could be more video games on the horizon in celebration of “Dragon Ball Z’s” 30th anniversary. And the storied partnership is showing no signs of slowing down in 2019 and beyond. “We plan to continue creating games that our mutual fans crave,” says Hartness. “I can’t mention details at this point, but please stay tuned for future announcements.”

Bioworld
In celebration of “Dragon Ball Z’s” 30th anniversary, Bioworld will create capsule collections throughout 2019 that will feature design direction that honors the history of the franchise. And Bioworld plans to work hand-in-hand with Toei to keep the momentum going throughout the year. “Bioworld is honored to be working on the ‘Dragon Ball Z’ franchise,” says Taylor. “We are proud to assist Toei in growing the brand to the next level.”

Fathom Events
“We couldn’t be more excited to be working with Toei and to celebrate the 30th anniversary of ‘Dragon Ball Z’ this year,” says Deulley. “There are lots of discussions happening at the moment, so fans should stay tuned to Fathom Events and Toei’s websites and social channels throughout the year.”

Funimation
“The January theatrical opening of Dragon Ball Super: Broly is the jumping-off point for our yearlong ‘Dragon Ball Z’ 30th anniversary campaign,” says Fukunaga. “‘Dragon Ball Z’ has made a visible and lasting mark on North American pop culture. We will be celebrating the history of ‘Dragon Ball Z’ throughout this year while also exploring its impact in a variety of areas such as gaming, sports and music. There will, of course, also be unique product offerings for both fans and collectors alike. Stay tuned!”

Adult Swim
Between March and April, Turner’s Adult Swim and Toei will help celebrate the “Dragon Ball Z” anniversary via an announcement and a promotional giveaway for fans.

30th anniversary collectible Home Video Release
“In February, along with Funimation, we’re going to have a 30th anniversary collectible home video release announcement,” says Yamatoya.

DragonBall Symphonic Adventure in USA and Canada
“This summer, we will partner with Overlook to host a ‘Dragon Ball Z’ symphony concert in the U.S. and Canada. The audience can listen to the symphony while clips from the show play, allowing fans to see the story on-screen with live music.”

DragonBall at San Diego Comic-Con
In July, Toei and Bandai plan to bring “Dragon Ball” back to Comic-Con in a big way following the success of its appearance last year, which included the “Dragon Ball” takeover of the convention’s adjacent Marriott hotel. “This was the first time there was such a big push for anime at San Diego Comic-Con,” says Yamatoya. “At first, we were very skeptical about how people were going to respond because we felt it is a Hollywood-focused kind of event. But San Diego Comic-Con told us they wanted us back. We thought anime was too niche to do so well, but we are planning on a bigger presence.”

DragonBall at Anime Expo, Crunchy Roll Expo and New York Comic Con
Toei will also bring the “Dragon Ball” franchise to Anime Expo, Crunchy Roll Expo and New York Comic Con this year.

DragonBall at Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
And in November, Toei will once again participate in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, as it did last year with its massive Goku balloon. This year, Toei Animation will also celebrate the 20th anniversary of its “One Piece” series and the 20th anniversary of its “Digimon” series, which launched in 1999. As the year continues to roll out, many more licensed deals surrounding “Dragon Ball Z’s” milestone 30th anniversary will be announced.

Source

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:09 pm

Selecta Vision is supposedly remastering Dragon Ball in high definition for a Blu-ray release but it's not even mentioned there? Huh.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:07 pm

I'd imagine the new home video release will be the old Z movies and possibly specials. I didn't get any of MangaUK's so I'd probably get those.

If it is the full 291 episodes of Z then I won't have any interest the release.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:19 pm

Really hope we get an updated Dragon Box release (on Blu-ray). The DVDs are ridiculously expensive on the secondary market, and they're only in standard definition.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:23 pm

They had me at "home video release". 8)

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:44 pm

“In February, along with Funimation, we’re going to have a 30th anniversary collectible home video release announcement,” says Yamatoya.
Hopefully this means a new remaster so I can finally toss my Blu Bricks out the window. I'd probably kill myself if it turned out to be those same releases in a new packaging.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:51 pm

Don't fuck this up, I swear to Kami. Both Toei and FUNi now have a history of fucking up remasters, between Toei's censoring and FUNi's 'REMASTERED IN HIGH DEFINITION DVD WIDESCREEN THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE SEEN' auto-DNR bullshit. This could finally be the perfect release if you DO NOT FUCK THIS UP.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:21 pm

A proper HD release of the Dragon Ball Z TV anime and all the movies, at a reasonable price and unedited, would certainly interest me greatly.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:33 pm

What did Toei do for Dragon Ball’s 30th anniversary 3 years ago? :think:

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:36 pm

My first though upon hearing about the Symphonic Adventure Concert was "Oh no, please don't be the dub music." But then I thought, "They probably aren't going to go through the trouble of re-arranging an entirely separate concert".

Besides, North America is likely far more familiar with Kikuchi's music than fans realize.

On FUNi's Dragon Ball Z home video releases, the "English-Dub-with-Japanese-Music" plays as the default audio track. Most people simply put a disc into their player and press "Play". Dub music fans are very passionate and vocal (and they certainly have a right to be), but I'd be willing to bet that your average Joe is more familiar with the original music.

I'm VERY excited they seem to have realized this and are bringing the show over here.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:They had me at "home video release". 8)
Possibly the TOEI HD DB & DBZ Movies for a US Blu-ray release. Just hope it's uncut.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:52 pm

MagicBox wrote:My first though upon hearing about the Symphonic Adventure Concert was "Oh no, please don't be the dub music." But then I thought, "They probably aren't going to go through the trouble of re-arranging an entirely separate concert".

Besides, North America is likely far more familiar with Kikuchi's music than fans realize.

On FUNi's Dragon Ball Z home video releases, the "English-Dub-with-Japanese-Music" plays as the default audio track. Most people simply put a disc into their player and press "Play". Dub music fans are very passionate and vocal (and they certainly have a right to be), but I'd be willing to bet that your average Joe is more familiar with the original music.

I'm VERY excited they seem to have realized this and are bringing the show over here.

In all honesty, while the “ Faulconer or it aint DBZ! “Crowd are a very loud loud minority I think your average casual dub DBZ fan doesn’t think twice about the music. They probably play the default option on their Orange Brick DVDs and just enjoy the nostalgia trip. I only ever see the whining for Faulconer on Youtube videos and message board forums at any rate.

Funimation, to their credit, has been pretty good at drawing attention away from the fact that they ever replaced the music to begin with. FunimationNOW only has dub episodes with the Japanese music as was the way they were uploaded when select episodes were on Hulu. A fan would have to bother to select the option for the dub music on their dvds. And I think the average “Cool Dragon Ball Z on DVD that was my shit as a kid!” consumer doesn’t think twice about it and just hits play.

I would be extremely surprised if a symphony orchestra performs Faulconer music.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:53 pm

Not sure if I should ask here, but what are the chances of them announcing a new anime at that huge San Diego CC event they mentioned?
Feels over Reals.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:55 pm

RedHeat wrote:Not sure if I should ask here, but what are the chances of them announcing a new anime at that huge San Diego CC event they mentioned?
Hopefully never.

We don’t need a new anime.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:59 pm

I called it. 30-year anniversary home video release in HD. I bloody called it.

Predictions:
It'll be all three series, Z first.
MangaUK won't import it, and it'll be released in frustratingly small numbers, and it'll have a few glaring holes, but still end up being the best master so far, and people will put it on a crazy pedestal because of how crap every other master is.
Also Funi might put out some dub thing. Probably not the Westwood dubs; more likely the OG Funi dub. Probably in some collectable box in very limited numbers, and it'll skyrocket in value far beyond what any sane person would spend on it, and it'll only be released in the US.
And we'll probably get a bunch of neat video game announcements; one of them might even not be a fighting game.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Robo4900 wrote:more likely the OG Funi dub.
I would be very surprised. They seem dead set on presenting the remastered version as their only version.

I honesty think they should have included the edited for Toonami version of their dub with the Ocean dub on the Rock the Dragon set since they were marketing that as “Hey this is the version you watched when you were six right after Power Rangers!”

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:more likely the OG Funi dub
I would be very surprised. They seem dead set on presenting the remastered version as their only version.

I honesty think they should have included the edited for Toonami version of their dub with the Ocean dub on the Rock the Dragon set since they were marketing that as “Hey this is the version you watched when you were six right after Power Rangers!”
Well, this is basically what I was imagining there... Almost like a "Rock The Dragon: Part 2"
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:10 pm

Bandai talking about UDMs wrote: ... you'll see that it has super high detailed colour and moulding just like the anime!!

Shut the f**k up please Bandai.
RedHeat wrote:Not sure if I should ask here, but what are the chances of them announcing a new anime at that huge San Diego CC event they mentioned?
New series should be airing in Japan by then, probably be an announcement for U.S license or a celebration of the new series (if the U.S license had been announced before).
MasenkoHA wrote:
Hopefully never.

We don’t need a new anime.
And that isn't really answering the question. If you modern DB haters are gonna be snarky then keep it to yourselves please.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:24 pm

If the symphony event is half as good as the past international ones then I'll be sure to check it out. The new home release has to really impress me to warrant buying it again.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:26 pm

Definitely interested in what the home video release(s) will be. But the thing that caught my eye was the Adult Swim/Toonami announcement. I wonder if they’ll put Kai back in the rotation and just start from the beginning. Or better yet, original Z. I would say original Dragon Ball, but I feel like that’s a long shot
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!