Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:28 pm

PacificOceanDub wrote:Definitely interested in what the home video release(s) will be. But the thing that caught my eye was the Adult Swim/Toonami announcement. I wonder if they’ll put Kai back in the rotation and just start from the beginning. Or better yet, original Z. I would say original Dragon Ball, but I feel like that’s a long shot
Never gonna happen but give us a Dragon Ball redub that actualy follows the Japanese script.

I don’t even care if that would mean Colleen Clinkenbeard as Kid Goku.

I kinda warmed up to her on that anyways

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Toei Animation celebrates 30 years of DragonBall Z with new licensing deals, products and events!

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:44 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
PacificOceanDub wrote:Definitely interested in what the home video release(s) will be. But the thing that caught my eye was the Adult Swim/Toonami announcement. I wonder if they’ll put Kai back in the rotation and just start from the beginning. Or better yet, original Z. I would say original Dragon Ball, but I feel like that’s a long shot
Never gonna happen but give us a Dragon Ball redub that actualy follows the Japanese script.

I don’t even care if that would mean Colleen Clinkenbeard as Kid Goku.

I kinda warmed up to her on that anyways
She was decent in the Blood Rubies re dub and the select few flashback clips in Kai, but what would be great is if she could make her voice better fit with Goku's character if FUNi were to go through with a re dub of the original series. In the former especially she was basically using her Gohan and Luffy voice in terms of the overall performance, and it didn't really capture the naive and fearless nature of his personality even as much as she tried.

Simply put, it just isn't different enough from her other roles as young boy characters although the performance itself is good for what it is.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:55 pm

Exciting!. I really hope these Z sets are new masters produced in Japan, Q-TEC would be nice, but knowing how tight Toei are, they'll be done in house.
It is about time we had a new master, and one which is going to be the new "definitive release" to replace the aging Dragon Boxes, which of course, are DVD.

I would expect artbooks, and maybe some new on disc extras.
I can't think what adult swim are doing, other than perhaps airing these new "masters" (if we're getting any) weeknights.

Bandai Namco Entertainment possibly announcing more titles? I suppose with this Z game being an action rpg, they may be working on an out and out fighting title to be released later down the line, possibly Xenoverse 3.

Please, Toei and FUNi, for the love of God, don't mess this release up.
No silly, awkward cropping, green tints or anything else.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:23 pm

MagicBox wrote:My first though upon hearing about the Symphonic Adventure Concert was "Oh no, please don't be the dub music." But then I thought, "They probably aren't going to go through the trouble of re-arranging an entirely separate concert".
I can just imagine one or two asshat-looking folks in the US crowd walking out when Cha La Head Cha La opens the show.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:17 am

My wishlist:

1) 4:3
2) No cut content (Kai is already out)
3) FUNimation Broadcast audio! Seriously there doesn't exist a single release or box set that has the Nathan Johnson / Bruce Faulconer from Episode 1-291

Dragon Box was so damn close but they only included the Japanese OST. This might finally be my dream box! I would instantly drop 300 bucks if this collection contained DB-DBGT + Movies properly remastered in 4:3.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:29 am

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:My wishlist:

3) FUNimation Broadcast audio! Seriously there doesn't exist a single release or box set that has the Nathan Johnson / Bruce Faulconer from Episode 1-291

Dragon Box was so damn close but they only included the Japanese OST. This might finally be my dream box! I would instantly drop 300 bucks if this collection contained DB-DBGT + Movies properly remastered in 4:3.
The Dragon Box Z wasn't really aimed toward the dub audience, that was mostly a special thing for those fans of the original version who wanted the show in 4:3. I believe the reason why they excluded the broadcast dub track mostly boiled down to a technical limitation of they could only put so many tracks on there with the extra episode per disc without sacrificing quality or bitrate, and as such decided to just go with the Japanese audio track and the dub with OST music track to keep it even.

Quite honestly, i like them not just for those things but also because i was horrified by the orange bricks' terrible quality and wanted something that presented the show for what it is.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:38 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

The Dragon Box Z wasn't really aimed toward the dub audience, that was mostly a special thing for those fans of the original version who wanted the show in 4:3. I believe the reason why they excluded the broadcast dub track mostly boiled down to a technical limitation of they could only put so many tracks on there with the extra episode per disc without sacrificing quality or bitrate, and as such decided to just go with the Japanese audio track and the dub with OST music track to keep it even.

Quite honestly, i like them not just for those things but also because i was horrified by the orange bricks' terrible quality and wanted something that presented the show for what it is.
Yeah I know, which is why I was disappointed. God I am praying so hard for the US FUNimation tracks! Before anyway says anything I love the Japanese score for Dragon Ball because it's the first version I heard and can't imagine anything different. The same thing is for Z with the FUNimation/Menza tracks. Please FUNimation! Don't screw this up!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:51 am

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

Yeah I know, which is why I was disappointed. God I am praying so hard for the US FUNimation tracks! Before anyway says anything I love the Japanese score for Dragon Ball because it's the first version I heard and can't imagine anything different. The same thing is for Z with the FUNimation/Menza tracks. Please FUNimation! Don't screw this up!
To be honest the lack of the Team Faulconer/Nathan Johnson score on the Dragon Boxes is not really a huge issue for me, i guess you could say even though i watched the show on Cartoon Network/Toonami as a kid in the early 2000's including the former it hasn't really left a nostalgic attachment on me. Basically, at this point i'm just so used to having it with the Kikuchi music track that they are in effect the definitive release in my eyes aside from the proper aspect ratio and great video quality, as well as the complete presentation of the original Japanese version. On another note, the Dragon Boxes are my primary way of watching Z subbed. Now for viewing the show dubbed on the other hand i mainly stick with Kai. I definitely prefer FUNi's dub of Kai over their original DBZ dub from back in the day by a country mile, and it represents some of the in house cast's best voice work in their history with the series.

Simply put, it all boils down to what you personally prefer.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:01 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
To be honest the lack of the Team Faulconer/Nathan Johnson score on the Dragon Boxes is not really a huge issue for me, i guess you could say even though i watched the show on Cartoon Network/Toonami as a kid in the early 2000's including the former it hasn't really left a nostalgic attachment on me.
The replacement music never should have happened to begin with and I applaud Funimation for trying to draw attention away from it (not being the default option on the DVDs, not being the version uploaded for streaming). I think Funimation is embarrassed of that stuff (and rightfully so)

Now, if Funimation wanted to pander to nostalgia and release their original in-house dub of Z as it aired on Toonami (instead of their reversionist crap) complete with Faulconer music as a Rock the Dragon part 2? I would be behind that. It may have been awful but I’m sick of Funimation trying to sell their half-ass revised version as the one you grew up with.

. I definitely prefer FUNi's dub of Kai over their original DBZ dub from back in the day by a country mile, and it represents some of the in house cast's best voice work in their history with the series.

I will say I think the Funimation cast themselves prefer their work on Kai over Z as well. Sabat, said as much. But Z has nostalgia on its side so Funimation will continue to push that and hope no one realizes how unlistenable and awful it is.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:19 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
To be honest the lack of the Team Faulconer/Nathan Johnson score on the Dragon Boxes is not really a huge issue for me, i guess you could say even though i watched the show on Cartoon Network/Toonami as a kid in the early 2000's including the former it hasn't really left a nostalgic attachment on me.
The replacement music never should have happened to begin with and I applaud Funimation for trying to draw attention away from it (not being the default option on the DVDs, not being the version uploaded for streaming). I think Funimation is embarrassed of that stuff (and rightfully so)

Now, if Funimation wanted to pander to nostalgia and release their original in-house dub of Z as it aired on Toonami (instead of their reversionist crap) complete with Faulconer music as a Rock the Dragon part 2? I would be behind that. It may have been awful but I’m sick of Funimation trying to sell their half-ass revised version as the one you grew up with.

. I definitely prefer FUNi's dub of Kai over their original DBZ dub from back in the day by a country mile, and it represents some of the in house cast's best voice work in their history with the series.

I will say I think the Funimation cast themselves prefer their work on Kai over Z as well. Sabat, said as much. But Z has nostalgia on its side so Funimation will continue to push that and hope no one realizes how unlistenable and awful it is.
Yeah, the Faulconer/Johnson/Menza replacement scores used on Z and GT are relics of the mindset that FUNi had back when those respective dubs were produced. A lot of those decisions made in regard to such things were due to the people who were in command of the company at that point in time primarily Barry Watson and a few others, and as those people have gradually departed over time they have shifted their practices to be more faithful to the source as their more recent dubbing projects show. I believe those there now view those as a reminder of the company's shameful "reversioning" past and are trying to divert away from them as much as possible, the fact that things like the Dragon Boxes not having the dub music at all is a good example even if it was mostly due to a technical reason. They've more and more started to treat the series as faithfully as possible while leaving their old methods of dubbing and music replacement in the past. On your second point there, it would be good if they put out something like the Rock the Dragon set of their original 1999-2003 dub for those fans who watched it on TV and want that particular version over their half baked replaced version that was created for the Orange Bricks and onward with it's inconsistent re dubbing.

Yes i definitely get that, but it's good that Kai's dub exists for those fans who just cannot handle the old Z dub with all of it's heavy remwrites and questionable performances and want something that's more faithful to the original even if it isn't completely 100% accurate.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:56 pm

A Rock the Dragon 2 would be good release to put out for the Dale Kelly fans, although Funimation should really use that as an excuse to release at least the Westwood dub episodes without additional edits. It would mean they could sell one set to two customer bases that are probably too niche on their own. It would also mean they are testing the waters, and then when RTD2 goes for insane prices on the collector's market they could announce a full Westwood dub edition so the fans not interested in the OG Funi dub can sell their RTD2s and then buy the complete Westwood edition.

In terms of TOEI's own releases I definitely think this means the original three series on Blu-Ray (starting with DBZ) is coming, which would be a day one purchase if done right, which it hopefully will.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:02 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:A Rock the Dragon 2 would be good release to put out for the Dale Kelly fans, although Funimation should really use that as an excuse to release at least the Westwood dub episodes without additional edits. It would mean they could sell one set to two customer bases that are probably too niche on their own. It would also mean they are testing the waters, and then when RTD2 goes for insane prices on the collector's market they could announce a full Westwood dub edition so the fans not interested in the OG Funi dub can sell their RTD2s and then buy the complete Westwood edition.

In terms of TOEI's own releases I definitely think this means the original three series on Blu-Ray (starting with DBZ) is coming, which would be a day one purchase if done right, which it hopefully will.
I think it would be nice for the fans who grew up with the Westwood dub to get a home video release but the chances Funimation would release that dub is pretty slim

Hell I would consider getting the Westwood dub as it has, overall, better voice acting.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:22 pm

I don't know why the fan-base can't be united. Some people wish or hope FUNimation doesn't include the US tracks which a very large portion of fans enjoy. It just seems wrong to do that to a lot of fans while hoping they just include the tracks you prefer.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:21 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote:I don't know why the fan-base can't be united. Some people wish or hope FUNimation doesn't include the US tracks which a very large portion of fans enjoy. It just seems wrong to do that to a lot of fans while hoping they just include the tracks you prefer.
Because it kinda opens a can of worms. If we include the Faulconer tracks, should we also include the original, pre remastered ones? Or how about we include the Ocean dub too, to cater to those people? There's only so much room on a disc.

The Faulconer score is a relic of the past, most of us would like to keep it that way.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:26 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
SuperSaiyanPan wrote:I don't know why the fan-base can't be united. Some people wish or hope FUNimation doesn't include the US tracks which a very large portion of fans enjoy. It just seems wrong to do that to a lot of fans while hoping they just include the tracks you prefer.
Because it kinda opens a can of worms. If we include the Faulconer tracks, should we also include the original, pre remastered ones? Or how about we include the Ocean dub too, to cater to those people? There's only so much room on a disc.

The Faulconer score is a relic of the past, most of us would like to keep it that way.
I agree, FUNimation has pretty much entirely moved on from those days and doesn't replace the shows' original musical scores anymore. It's an obsolete practice from the '90s that a lot of dubbing companies have long since ceased the regular use of.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:38 pm

Honestly my issue with it is that it's just enabling of a mindset that I kind of want to die in the fanbase, the nostalgia-blinded "90s dub and Faulconer or nothing" mantra. I don't like to call opinions "objective" but I specifically dislike both Funi's Z dub and Faulconer's score for the specific fact that they don't even try to acknowledge the way the show was originally constructed and meant to be enjoyed, and are different enough from the real show as a result (aside from being generally worse anyway, but that's more subjective) that it creates divisions and arguments in a fanbase that's already too divided for comfort. It's like if they included an option for Kai's dub to have the "hope of the universe" speech from Goku, it's saying "Yeah! this is just as much Dragon Ball as the original! We have the authority to decide that!". That'd be insulting. You'll get what the original creators intended for the series and you'll fucking like it.

I guess you could argue dubbing a series at all is an example of this, but there are at least more and less accurate dubs that do or do not preserve the original intent and feel of things, but an entirely different soundtrack played at different points, with a different tone and never shutting the fuck up is pretty objectively not what the original intent was for any part of Dragon Ball.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:43 pm

I'd love to see either a rerelease of the dragonboxes because I only needed 2 and 4. Or maybe dragonball on bluray. Even though I already have them on dvd I'd just like to see a bluray release because I hate for them to go outta print on folks
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:49 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I'd love to see either a rerelease of the dragonboxes because I only needed 2 and 4. Or maybe dragonball on bluray. Even though I already have them on dvd I'd just like to see a bluray release because I hate for them to go outta print on folks
Same, though it's volumes 4 and 7 for me as i have the rest of them.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:45 am

KinguKurimuzon wrote:
“In February, along with Funimation, we’re going to have a 30th anniversary collectible home video release announcement,” says Yamatoya.
Hopefully this means a new remaster so I can finally toss my Blu Bricks out the window. I'd probably kill myself if it turned out to be those same releases in a new packaging.
What if it's censored like the movies?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:48 am

sangofe wrote:
KinguKurimuzon wrote:
“In February, along with Funimation, we’re going to have a 30th anniversary collectible home video release announcement,” says Yamatoya.
Hopefully this means a new remaster so I can finally toss my Blu Bricks out the window. I'd probably kill myself if it turned out to be those same releases in a new packaging.
What if it's censored like the movies?
There's been no signs at this point that they are going to extend that same type of editing to the series as well, i mean yeah there was Kai but that's a different story.