Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:11 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:Ideally I’d like a 4K scan and new frame alignment (mostly for DB) with some decent colour correction and broadcast audio.
With the exception of the 23mm Namek episodes and the movies, I'm not sure how much benefit the show would have if scanned in 4K.
Sorry I should have clarified, I didn't mean the release would be in 4K - just the new scan.

That said, I expect either something incredibly lazy, or something that could have turned out incredible but was ruined by DNR and editing.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:24 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:Ideally I’d like a 4K scan and new frame alignment (mostly for DB) with some decent colour correction and broadcast audio.
With the exception of the 23mm Namek episodes and the movies, I'm not sure how much benefit the show would have if scanned in 4K.
Sorry I should have clarified, I didn't mean the release would be in 4K - just the new scan.

That said, I expect either something incredibly lazy, or something that could have turned out incredible but was ruined by DNR and editing.
I'm ignorant of this sort of thing. What is the benefit of scanning in 4K if the release isn't?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:28 pm

MarioSonicU wrote:You want to know what i want from an ideal 30th anniversary release? These 3 ideas.

-The unaltered original FUNimation dub dialogue for 68-291, and both specials. (Or better yet unalter it for the japanese music track.) Anything is better that the revised dub FUNi keeps putting into their release.)
-A rerelease of the Pioneer dubs for Movies 1-3
-A 4:3 release with no DNR, grain kept intact, and quality that is similar to the Level Sets.
-A release where the insert songs are left intact.
I would, honestly, just want them to redub the show in its entirety with the cast they have now for the Japanese music audio track & have the track with the English music be the one with the original dub. Hardcore English dub Z fans don't watch the dub with the Japanese audio anyways & the people who watch with the Japanese music are most likely embarrassed the dub's script wasn't better. It worked for their rerelease of Akira where they have the '88 dub & the '01 dubs both on the discs, or the Escaflowne rereleases where they have both their redub & the original Canadian dub on the discs. That'd be fine, honestly.

In terms of the original dub audio from before their redubs & retakes, I don't know if that would be a good move. Considering the original dub audio from '99 to when the series finished airing wasn't dubbed uncut, has an inconsistent cast that changes for some of the secondary & tertiary characters, & was recorded on low quality tape (which is why Schemmel's earliest takes sound different than the later ones, since he didn't rerecord them when he should've) on top of the acting quality being lower than even the retakes they did, I don't think that'd be a good move.

For a release of the Pioneer dubs, they clearly have the audio tracks for those since they rereleased the first 53 Ocean dub episodes & the 3 original Ocean dub movies several years ago, so those SHOULD be rereleased on newer releases with the FUNi redubs. I don't think that'd be bad & there's precedent for it like I said above.

The insert songs, does Toei even have clean versions of them? I heard that they didn't & that's why they didn't use them for the dub audio. Even some fan projects I've seen that reinserted them sourced them from the Japanese audio track since they weren't released anywhere else that I've seen. So, could that even be done since Toei junked the audio tapes of the original language track, which makes it hard to separate the songs from the mixes?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:48 pm

MarioSonicU wrote:-A release where the insert songs are left intact.
They definitely need to do this for the English dub with Japanese score audio tracks. I recall the Dragon Box version of the dub just having silence for the Gohan SS2 scene and it was really awkward.
Scsigs wrote:The insert songs, does Toei even have clean versions of them? I heard that they didn't & that's why they didn't use them for the dub audio. Even some fan projects I've seen that reinserted them sourced them from the Japanese audio track since they weren't released anywhere else that I've seen. So, could that even be done since Toei junked the audio tapes of the original language track, which makes it hard to separate the songs from the mixes?
They can't just take the full song, trim it back down to match the sync with the scene and insert it that way? Maybe that wouldn't be exactly identical to the original but it'd be better than nothing.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:52 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote:
MarioSonicU wrote:-A release where the insert songs are left intact.
They definitely need to do this for the English dub with Japanese score audio tracks. I recall the Dragon Box version of the dub just having silence for the Gohan SS2 scene and it was really awkward.
Scsigs wrote:The insert songs, does Toei even have clean versions of them? I heard that they didn't & that's why they didn't use them for the dub audio. Even some fan projects I've seen that reinserted them sourced them from the Japanese audio track since they weren't released anywhere else that I've seen. So, could that even be done since Toei junked the audio tapes of the original language track, which makes it hard to separate the songs from the mixes?
They can't just take the full song, trim it back down to match the sync with the scene and insert it that way? Maybe that wouldn't be exactly identical to the original but it'd be better than nothing.
That's not at all what I was talking about. I was asking a question on if Toei even has copies of the songs clean from the original productions of the shows separate from the Japanese audio tracks. It wouldn't surprise me since they have recordings of the OSTs & sound effects separate from the shows, but I've seen otherwise at points. Prove me wrong & let me know if there are clean versions of the songs FUNi could use & I'll say otherwise because of course they could if they are.

professorwho

Post by professorwho » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:10 pm

ABED wrote:I'm ignorant of this sort of thing. What is the benefit of scanning in 4K if the release isn't?
More detail. Even if it isn't released in 4K, when you scan at a higher resolution, more detail is picked up.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:30 pm

I wouldn't mind a slight Color corrected release of all the dboxes, and if there is a Blu-ray release I kinda hope there is a DVD counterpart for a bit less

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:58 pm

I just hope we get an official announcement soon. The suspense is killing me!
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:41 pm

Is there any chance that this new release will include the higher quality, broadcast JPN audio? I've heard people here saying Chris Sabat (I believe) has the files in his possession. And since this is a collaboration between FUNi and Toei, maybe it's FUNi sharing those? I'd also love it if this is announcing all three series receiving the Blu-ray treatment, not just Z. Similar to when the Dragon Boxes were first announced in Japan.

Very hopeful and not too likely, but still a guy can dream.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:22 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:I wouldn't mind a slight Color corrected release of all the dboxes, and if there is a Blu-ray release I kinda hope there is a DVD counterpart for a bit less
I'm actually a bit afraid they just re-release the DBoxes on BluRay. A few other series have done this. That is to say they put the Standard Def material on a BluRay.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:28 pm

ect5150 wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:I wouldn't mind a slight Color corrected release of all the dboxes, and if there is a Blu-ray release I kinda hope there is a DVD counterpart for a bit less
I'm actually a bit afraid they just re-release the DBoxes on BluRay. A few other series have done this. That is to say they put the Standard Def material on a BluRay.
Basically as in just upscales of their Dragon Box masters from the 16mm film negatives, which i hope isn't the case but i honestly wouldn't be surprised if that is what it turns out to be.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:51 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
ect5150 wrote:
Basically as in just upscales of their Dragon Box masters from the 16mm film negatives, which i hope isn't the case but i honestly wouldn't be surprised if that is what it turns out to be.
Oh - I mean literally 480P content. Upscales are possible... but you can get more episodes per disc using just 480P content. MPEG2 is allowed on BluRay.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:11 am

sumpter360 wrote:Is there any chance that this new release will include the higher quality, broadcast JPN audio? I've heard people here saying Chris Sabat (I believe) has the files in his possession. And since this is a collaboration between FUNi and Toei, maybe it's FUNi sharing those? I'd also love it if this is announcing all three series receiving the Blu-ray treatment, not just Z. Similar to when the Dragon Boxes were first announced in Japan.

AnimeAjay did a video on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLBEzJQU9M
Basically, I'm assuming after the Season Set Blu-Rays came out, fans gave files for the original broadcast audio of Z to Sabat & co. They were gonna give it to Toei, but Toei just wasn't interested. However, for this release, they may yet use them. Sabat at least wants to use them for a US release & I doubt Toei would wanna give up the chance to have it too, since they'd be giving up on potential money from the Japanese audience. At least, I hope they're not that stupid.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:46 am

Scsigs wrote:
sumpter360 wrote:Is there any chance that this new release will include the higher quality, broadcast JPN audio? I've heard people here saying Chris Sabat (I believe) has the files in his possession. And since this is a collaboration between FUNi and Toei, maybe it's FUNi sharing those? I'd also love it if this is announcing all three series receiving the Blu-ray treatment, not just Z. Similar to when the Dragon Boxes were first announced in Japan.

Basically, I'm assuming after the Season Set Blu-Rays came out, fans gave files for the original broadcast audio of Z to Sabat & co. They were gonna give it to Toei, but Toei just wasn't interested. However, for this release, they may yet use them. Sabat at least wants to use them for a US release & I doubt Toei would wanna give up the chance to have it too, since they'd be giving up on potential money from the Japanese audience. At least, I hope they're not that stupid.
What makes you think Toei wouldn't want to give up the chance using original Japanese broadcast audio literally two sentences after you said that Toei wasn't interested in using broadcast audio? Lol, you're confused.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:42 am

ZodaEX wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

What makes you think Toei wouldn't want to give up the chance using original Japanese broadcast audio literally two sentences after you said that Toei wasn't interested in using broadcast audio? Lol, you're confused.

I Hope if they use the broadcast audios that Chris Sabat will use the audio that animemaakuo release recently, cause it's better than the one he got before and have a whole 218 ep, can use ishikawa alternative for warnings
sadly as kei retain dragon ball audios there's no luck to see them in the "home release" if DB is part of the release

i think they will do announcement the 26 as it will be the day where first db episode was aired on tv in japan

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:54 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:I Hope if they use the broadcast audios that Chris Sabat will use the audio that animemaakuo release recently, cause it's better than the one he got before and have a whole 218 ep, can use ishikawa alternative for warnings
sadly as kei retain dragon ball audios there's no luck to see them in the "home release" if DB is part of the release

i think they will do announcement the 26 as it will be the day where first db episode was aired on tv in japan
Thing is, from their standpoint, if they did that, it would be condoning and supporting piracy and we all know how these two companies in particular hate that.

I don't know about Maakuo but Kei has to do the right thing and follow through with the promise he made that he would give all of the audio in *his* possession to Chris.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:04 am

professorwho wrote:
ABED wrote:I'm ignorant of this sort of thing. What is the benefit of scanning in 4K if the release isn't?
More detail. Even if it isn't released in 4K, when you scan at a higher resolution, more detail is picked up.
Like upscaling a DVD when you play it on a Blu Ray player?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:30 am

GokuDaimao wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:I Hope if they use the broadcast audios that Chris Sabat will use the audio that animemaakuo release recently, cause it's better than the one he got before and have a whole 218 ep, can use ishikawa alternative for warnings

Thing is, from their standpoint, if they did that, it would be condoning and supporting piracy and we all know how these two companies in particular hate that.

I don't know about Maakuo but Kei has to do the right thing and follow through with the promise he made that he would give all of the audio in *his* possession to Chris.
no it it's not supporting piracy as fans already make the first step by asking the use of those audios officially... and in france for example it's very current that companies download or copy dvd from others companies to take the dub from it

for example in france sailor moon have an uncensored french dub but instead of asking to ab group those audios, they used other sources (probably tvrips , copy of vhs or other way....) some companies also sometimes used fansub translation for their release

custumer is the king originally , Companies have to seduce us to sold product, the main trouble is that no matter the shit , fans support official release, the best way to lead the things is :
if they offer upscale shit with DNR, then no one buy them and massive sent message to said that the failure is only caused by the worst quality product
as long as fans will massively buy dnr upscale, and make them having benefit with big shit product, nothing will ever change

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:08 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
GokuDaimao wrote:

no it it's not supporting piracy as fans already make the first step by asking the use of those audios officially... and in france for example it's very current that companies download or copy dvd from others companies to take the dub from it

for example in france sailor moon have an uncensored french dub but instead of asking to ab group those audios, they used other sources (probably tvrips , copy of vhs or other way....) some companies also sometimes used fansub translation for their release

custumer is the king originally , Companies have to seduce us to sold product, the main trouble is that no matter the shit , fans support official release, the best way to lead the things is :
if they offer upscale shit with DNR, then no one buy them and massive sent message to said that the failure is only caused by the worst quality product
as long as fans will massively buy dnr upscale, and make them having benefit with big shit product, nothing will ever change
What the...???? I can't make heads or tails of what your post is saying.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:37 am

ABED wrote:
professorwho wrote:
Like upscaling a DVD when you play it on a Blu Ray player?
No I think he means in reverse, like when you get a 4K image and shrink it to 1080. Personally I think that the 16mm footage is so low-quality that there'll be no appreciable benefit from it.