Lack of females characters in Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bruma rabu
Regular

Re: Lack of females characters in Dragon Ball

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 pm

ABED wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:
ABED wrote:I wouldn't say she wants what's best for her family. There are far better ways of encouraging your kid's education. If you lived in a world where Piccolo Daimao existed, would you discourage your kid from learning self defense?

Not an excuse for a writer. If you have nothing else to do for them, then write them out.
You know i probably would if my kid was 5 years old. I guess he should of written out piccolo, yamcha, tien, oolong, hurcule, master Roshi, etc.
5 year olds aren't old enough to learn martial arts? Given they live in the woods away from civilization and in a world with super powerful villains, it wouldn't be a bad idea to not shelter your child.

Mr. Satan had plenty to do. Piccolo helped teach Trunks and Goten. Muten Roshi at the very least could provide some sage wisdom. As for Oolong, Yamcha, and Tenshinhan, yes, I'm all for writing them out if they don't add anything.
What would be the point of teaching a 5 year old martial arts in a world with Piccolo daimao? Yeah I showed my 5 year old martial arts he'll be able to defend him self against an asshole like piccolo. In that moment in time chichi doesn't know Gohan is strong, all she see is her baby and not only that but goku beat both piccolo daimao and piccolo Jr. The world was at peace, she doesn't see the need for it.
Satan did 2 major things he befriended boo and convinced everybody to raise their hands. The first point could of been anyone it didn't have to be him if Toriyama felt like it. I'll give him the second point but honestly it didn't even need to be that way. Piccolo teaching trunks and goten also could of been anyone else shit master Roshi could of done it.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:03 am

Your aren't Son Goku. Certainly Goku teaching HIS SON would be vastly different than if you or I taught our kids even in Dragon World. It doesn't matter if Chichi or even Goku knew, by not teaching Gohan anything, they damn near guarantee Gohan wouldn't be able to defend himself against anything. It's not even about needing another warrior, it's about giving him the basic ability to fend for himself. He lives away from civilization, so fighting would come in handy. She sheltered him. How does that protect him?
Satan did 2 major things he befriended boo and convinced everybody to raise their hands. The first point could of been anyone it didn't have to be him if Toriyama felt like it.
But he didn't. Mr. Satan being the one to befriend Majin Buu was such a great subversion of expectations, and also gave a dimension to Mr. Satan. He started off as an obnoxious braggart, but ended up not only being able to admit the truth about the kind of world he lived in (ki and the like weren't all tricks), but he plays an active part in saving it. That's great character development. Mr. Satan is a famewhore who took credit for Gohan's victory against Cell. He profited off a lie. Using that fame to help is a great payoff.

"Anyone could've done it"... but they didn't.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:00 pm

ABED wrote:Your aren't Son Goku. Certainly Goku teaching HIS SON would be vastly different than if you or I taught our kids even in Dragon World. It doesn't matter if Chichi or even Goku knew, by not teaching Gohan anything, they damn near guarantee Gohan wouldn't be able to defend himself against anything. It's not even about needing another warrior, it's about giving him the basic ability to fend for himself. He lives away from civilization, so fighting would come in handy. She sheltered him. How does that protect him?
Satan did 2 major things he befriended boo and convinced everybody to raise their hands. The first point could of been anyone it didn't have to be him if Toriyama felt like it.
But he didn't. Mr. Satan being the one to befriend Majin Buu was such a great subversion of expectations, and also gave a dimension to Mr. Satan. He started off as an obnoxious braggart, but ended up not only being able to admit the truth about the kind of world he lived in (ki and the like weren't all tricks), but he plays an active part in saving it. That's great character development. Mr. Satan is a famewhore who took credit for Gohan's victory against Cell. He profited off a lie. Using that fame to help is a great payoff.

"Anyone could've done it"... but they didn't.
You're missing my point, there was no reason to learn how to fight. Goku beat the the biggest threat there was twice, chi chis logic was well no point in my kid wasting his time learning martial arts when he can study and be some thing "better".
My point with Satan was he could never return after the cell arc but instead Toriyama keep him in the story.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:50 pm

I get your point, I'm saying there is a reason to learn to fight. Even if Goku defeated Piccolo, he BARELY survived both encounters. Also, given the world they live in and just there immediate surroundings on Mt. Paoz, it is a good idea to teach Gohan how to defend himself. Then there's the positive benefits of a healthy body. There's no downside in teaching him martial arts. He can do both. Instead, Chichi's reaction is one of the reasons I don't like her - it's exaggerated to the point of caricature.

I don't know what your last sentence means. It's logically incoherent. If Mr. Satan couldn't return how was he kept in the story?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:52 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
ABED wrote:He's male isn't he?
He’s male but the Saiyajin race always struck me as a race of asexuals who only find sex useful for the strict purpose of procreation and not so much for pleasure.

Even when Nappa suggest they breed with earth’s women (which Vegeta shoots down) It’s more of a “let’s create an army of uber hybrids” than “We’re evil so let’s have our way with their women just cuz”

Sex seems like a means to an end for Saiyajin. Not a hedonistic thing.
That's just Goku.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:52 pm

ruler9871 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
ABED wrote:He's male isn't he?
He’s male but the Saiyajin race always struck me as a race of asexuals who only find sex useful for the strict purpose of procreation and not so much for pleasure.

Even when Nappa suggest they breed with earth’s women (which Vegeta shoots down) It’s more of a “let’s create an army of uber hybrids” than “We’re evil so let’s have our way with their women just cuz”

That's just Goku.
And this is based on what? What we’ve seen of the Saiyajin it’s hardly just Goku.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:58 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Honestly can you name anything about her character post-Namek. She does things like create a time machine and an off switch for the Androids. And she gives birth to Trunks. But what can you legitimately say about her personality? She’s pretty much chilled the fuck out since her first story arc-Namek days. She doesn’t seem to have feelings toward Vegeta being a dead beat dad one way or there. She only really engages with the other characters for exposition (hey that’s Dr.Gero!)
Easily. She's egotistical, sort of paranoid, vain, possessive, etc. These are all personality traits.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:04 pm

ruler9871 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:Honestly can you name anything about her character post-Namek. She does things like create a time machine and an off switch for the Androids. And she gives birth to Trunks. But what can you legitimately say about her personality? She’s pretty much chilled the fuck out since her first story arc-Namek days. She doesn’t seem to have feelings toward Vegeta being a dead beat dad one way or there. She only really engages with the other characters for exposition (hey that’s Dr.Gero!)
Easily. She's egotistical, sort of paranoid, vain, possessive, etc. These are all personality traits.
I’m talking specifically Bulma post-Namek. Those traits were Bulma from the Shenron arc-Namek. My point is she really didn’t have a personality after Namek

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:07 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
ruler9871 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:

That's just Goku.
And this is based on what? What we’ve seen of the Saiyajin it’s hardly just Goku.
That's mainly do to Toriyama's unwillingness to write about sex/relationships beyond gag scenes (hence why Roshi seems to be the only recurring character of any race to overtly express interest in sex, and it's always a gag scene when he does).

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
ruler9871 wrote:
I’m talking specifically Bulma post-Namek. Those traits were Bulma from the Shenron arc-Namek. My point is she really didn’t have a personality after Namek
All does traits still exist post-Namek (especially in the 1st half of Super). Are you even paying attention to the character? Nearly everything she says and does reflect these things.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
ruler9871 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:He’s male but the Saiyajin race always struck me as a race of asexuals who only find sex useful for the strict purpose of procreation and not so much for pleasure.

That's just Goku.
It's fairly implied in both takes of the Bardock story too. He doesn't give a damn about taking care of Goku (the low prowess thing was icing on the cake to me), and in the modern take Gine points out that it's odd for a Saiyan male to care about his child. Given the warrior, battle-loving nature of the Saiyans, having sex primarily to produce powerful offspring who make a name for themselves makes a lot of sense for their culture.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:07 pm

ABED wrote:I wouldn't say she wants what's best for her family. There are far better ways of encouraging your kid's education. If you lived in a world where Piccolo Daimao existed, would you discourage your kid from learning self defense?.
You don't need martial arts for self-defense and Piccolo wasn't doing shit (but even then Goku and co. can handle him).
Bulma obviously doesn't like Vegeta being a dead beat and she's had plenty of interaction with other characters outside detailing plot points.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:15 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:It's show for boys so it's obvious, but i wouldn't mind more females tho.
I think the main problem isn't lack of females in general but lack of relevant female fighters or female villains.

The only relevant female fighters are #18 and Pan, but even they doesn't do that much with #18's biggest feat being beating Ribrianne and Pan being mostly a support fighter with only one villain killed on her own (Natto).
We also have no main female villain except for Towa in games and only few side villains like #18, Oceanus Shenron and Zangya.

I'd really like to see female being a main villain for once.
should count Caulifla, Kale and Kefla for facing Goku and being the secret weapon of U6

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:38 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
ABED wrote:I wouldn't say she wants what's best for her family. There are far better ways of encouraging your kid's education. If you lived in a world where Piccolo Daimao existed, would you discourage your kid from learning self defense?.
You don't need martial arts for self-defense and Piccolo wasn't doing shit (but even then Goku and co. can handle him).
Bulma obviously doesn't like Vegeta being a dead beat and she's had plenty of interaction with other characters outside detailing plot points.
In DB world, you do need martial arts for self defense, and Piccolo was doing something. He was spending his time training in order to kill Goku.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:It's show for boys so it's obvious, but i wouldn't mind more females tho.
I think the main problem isn't lack of females in general but lack of relevant female fighters or female villains.

The only relevant female fighters are #18 and Pan, but even they doesn't do that much with #18's biggest feat being beating Ribrianne and Pan being mostly a support fighter with only one villain killed on her own (Natto).
We also have no main female villain except for Towa in games and only few side villains like #18, Oceanus Shenron and Zangya.

should count Caulifla, Kale and Kefla for facing Goku and being the secret weapon of U6
True but i meant either protagonists or actual villains so i didn't include U6 girls since they are probably just episodic anyway.
Because other than that we had some minor fighting girls before as well, like RanFan, Anin or ChiChi and i think it's enough, not too much but not too few either.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:58 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Tai Lung wrote:

True but i meant either protagonists or actual villains so i didn't include U6 girls since they are probably just episodic anyway.
Because other than that we had some minor fighting girls before as well, like RanFan, Anin or ChiChi and i think it's enough, not too much but not too few either.
they would count as antagonistic at least.
no but they faced high level enemies like Goku UI omen which is already quite and is comparable to acction of android 18 fights vegeta which had a quite high level for the series in Z.
in general, chichi and ranfan are very weak even for that moment in DB, although maybe you could count ranfan for facing nam even though she did not do it for her power.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:45 pm

KBABZ wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
ruler9871 wrote: That's just Goku.
It's fairly implied in both takes of the Bardock story too. He doesn't give a damn about taking care of Goku (the low prowess thing was icing on the cake to me), and in the modern take Gine points out that it's odd for a Saiyan male to care about his child. Given the warrior, battle-loving nature of the Saiyans, having sex primarily to produce powerful offspring who make a name for themselves makes a lot of sense for their culture.
Well, real-life warrior/barbarian cultures tend to be highly promiscuous and rapey (look at the Spartans, Mongols, Zulus, etc), so that's what I was going off of.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:24 pm

ABED wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
In DB world, you do need martial arts for self defense, and Piccolo was doing something. He was spending his time training in order to kill Goku.
Not when you can sneeze a whole continent away and Piccolo still wasn't doing anything. He essentially just hung around the mountains.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:29 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Not when you can sneeze a whole continent away and Piccolo still wasn't doing anything. He essentially just hung around the mountains.
His Makankosappo says otherwise.

Gohan is the son of Son Goku. That would make a world of difference to him training. And it's still not a bad idea to train if you live in the Mt. Paoz.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:34 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
ABED wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: You don't need martial arts for self-defense and Piccolo wasn't doing shit (but even then Goku and co. can handle him).

Not when you can sneeze a whole continent away and Piccolo still wasn't doing anything. He essentially just hung around the mountains.
He developed a technique to specifically kill Son Goku. He only teamed up with Goku because Raditz and the Saiyajin were a threat to his own plans to take over the world.

He was hardly just hanging around just because that’s how we saw him in the first episode of Z