How much have you spent on the franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

How much have you spent on the franchise?

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Hello Everyone! I was just curious How much have you spent on the franchise? Now...I'm not asking you to be 100% accurate because I'd almost believe that would be impossible. lol But for the media aspect alone I'd say I've spent about $1300 to $1500? That's just because I normally buy a lot of the releases as they come out so I have to pay the full retail price because around here in Kentucky finding stuff in real stores is actually pretty difficult. I live about 4 or 5 hours away from the nearest mall and 40 minutes from a small walmart and an hour away from a big walmart lol Soooooo...lol I mostly do all my shopping online because it's easier. :thumbup: I was never into collecting figures heavily so if you want to try to add them you can and it's been years since I was buying the toys as they released so I'm not sure how I could add them :? I also normally try to buy all the games that get released nowadays I especially would buy the ps2 releases as they came out. :lol: So whether you're a dub fan or a sub fan or both like me. if you spend this much on 1 series, you're a hardcore fan straight up! 8)

Edit - Oh by the way...I forgot about buying a lot!!! of the vhs as they were released back in the day say so ugh...I'd say all together I'm looking around $2500 maybe? :crazy:
Last edited by samuraix123 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: How much have you spent on the franchise?

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:55 pm

I've bought several of the home releases, most of the VHS tapes, the 42 manga volumes, and a couple video games. Doing some VERY rough math, probably between $7-8k.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:58 pm

I have a boxset of the first five Z movies that I got at a used dvd store. I have a hulu subscription to watch the original Dragon Ball and for a while I had a subscription for FunimationNow

I thought about getting the DVDS for the Ocean dub of the first 3 Z movies if I could ever find them for a reasonable price on Amazon.

So not a whole lot.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:59 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:I have a boxset of the first five Z movies that I got at a used dvd store. I have a hulu subscription to watch the original Dragon Ball and for a while I had a subscription for FunimationNow

So not a whole lot.
When did you get into the series?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:02 pm

ABED wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:I have a boxset of the first five Z movies that I got at a used dvd store. I have a hulu subscription to watch the original Dragon Ball and for a while I had a subscription for FunimationNow

So not a whole lot.
Around the time Goku was fighting Freeza on Namek on Toonami though I casually watched some episodes during the time Toonami was still running the Ocean episodes.

I never felt the need to own the series while it was on tv for some reason. The Blue and Orange Bricks seem like a waste of dough when I can currently get it on streaming

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
ABED wrote:

So not a whole lot.
Around the time Goku was fighting Freeza on Namek on Toonami though I casually watched some episodes during the time Toonami was still running the Ocean episodes.

I never felt the need to own the series while it was on tv for some reason. The Blue and Orange Bricks seem like a waste of dough when I can currently get it on streaming
I got one buddy who just streams everything but he lives in NJ and has waaaaaaaay better internet than me lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:17 pm

samuraix123 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
ABED wrote: When did you get into the series?

I got one buddy who just streams everything but he lives in NJ and has waaaaaaaay better internet than me lol
Me though. I already have Hulu which has Dragon Ball completely subbed and when I need a Z fix I just get a FunimationNow subscription during the time being.

I do want to start collecting the manga though

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:17 pm

I watched the show back when it was on Cartoon Network starting around the late Androids or early Cell arc.

Didn't really start getting the series on home video and such until Kai came around here in 2010, and even then it's been here and there purchases so i haven't broken the bank too much.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:19 pm

I'm frugal and I don't spend money on much beyond my condo, car (just upkeep and taxes as I'm not a car guy), food, and entertainment.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:23 pm

On money not much but on time almost 34 years.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:24 pm

I bought a total of 4 Dragon Ball videogames:

* Dragon Ball Infinite World
* Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi 2
* Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi 3
* Dragon Ball FighterZ (no DLCs)

The first three I got at a bargain in a garage sale at least than $10 in total, FighterZ costed me $72 (definetely the most expensive DB relate product I ever bought).

Somewhere in 2008-2010 I got a pirate DVD that had all 13 DBZ movies at about $5.

So I spent close to $90 as a whole.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:25 pm

ABED wrote:I'm frugal and I don't spend money on much beyond my condo, car (just upkeep and taxes as I'm not a car guy), food, and entertainment.
Yeah I don't have a lot of money(I don't even own a cell phone or car) but as I get older I see that a lot of stuff just doesn't make me happy especially collecting like it used too. I actually gave all my dbz movies away and orange bricks away to my brother because once I got the dragonboxes and blurays I was satisfied.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:42 pm

samuraix123 wrote:
ABED wrote:I'm frugal and I don't spend money on much beyond my condo, car (just upkeep and taxes as I'm not a car guy), food, and entertainment.
Yeah I don't have a lot of money(I don't even own a cell phone or car) but as I get older I see that a lot of stuff just doesn't make me happy especially collecting like it used too. I actually gave all my dbz movies away and orange bricks away to my brother because once I got the dragonboxes and blurays I was satisfied.
Same. I have a collection, but it's just a bunch of stuff I've accrued over time in order to enjoy. I don't get things for the sake of completing a set. If I own a series, it's to watch and enjoy it. I bought all those DVD's because until a few years ago, it was the only way to watch the series whenever I wanted.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:50 pm

Damn, over the years I collected every single Uncut VHS volume, the orange bricks, Blu Ray season sets, Blue Bricks, Green Bricks, Double Feature steelbooks, roughly 10 of the video games, 10-15 Dragon Ball T-shirts, and a handful of action figures. I’m gonna guess somewhere in the realm of $4000
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:05 pm

What I can say is that I would like to spend more if Viz ever decided to release the rest of the Full Color Volumes.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:30 pm

I've bought 5 or 6 video games and a few DVDs. So a few hundred. And that's over a pretty long period of time.

If I could find the entire manga in English for a pretty cheap price I would snatch that up in a heartbeat.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:19 pm

All 42 volumes of the manga
All of DB, Z, GT and the original 13 movies on DVD
About two dozen video games on various systems
A bunch of figures/statues.

Probably close to $600. More if you count the money I dropped on Dokkan Battle :lol:

Shiro97

Post by Shiro97 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Too much probably, I spent quite a lot trying to collect a bunch of different editions of the manga both English and Japanese. I've calmed down a bit now and I set myself a small budget so I don't end up blowing all my wages on Dragon Ball merch. Altogether probably about 1k as a rough estimate, I don't think it's that much cause I usually get stuff used. But it gets away from you sometimes so I think it is important to set yourself a budget so you don't go overboard. Lately though I've been getting into other things so the Dragon Ball collection on the backburner at the minute.

Just for the sake of it, what I have so far is:

All 42 volumes of the English manga
All 42 volumes of the Japanese manga
All 34 volumes of the Kanzeban
4 or 5 volumes of the Digest Edition
The Japanese Full Color from the beginning up to the Saiyan Arc
5 volumes of the English Full Color
1 volume of the VizBig
A bunch of Doujin, mostly DragonGarowLee's stuff
All 18 volumes of the English Dr Slump
The Jaco Kanzeban
The Neko Majin Kanzeban
The 3 short story compilations
Sand Land, Cowa and Jaco in English
Kajika

That's probably it, don't know what that adds up to. Most of it I got used and some I had since I was a kid.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:55 pm

Roughly $0. Pretty much everything I consume comes from either free online sources (e.g. Viz's free translation of the Super manga or the Super episode streams everyone else used) or borrowing things from friends. No wait, I did buy Xenoverse 2 used for $10 and spent $2 on a one-month Viz membership to flip back through the manga... but I think that's it.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:12 am

No idea. Most of it comes from the original manga, VHS tapes and old videogames from my childhood, but the grand total is more than likely well over a thousand. I also no longer have the old stuff and probably gave it away at some point.

These days I'll only invest in the franchise if it's Kai (which I've just completed as of a few weeks ago), the movies, or any of Viz's volumes for the DBS manga. Maybe the occasional figurine, but I've only purchased three of those. I'm not exactly a huge Dragon Ball collector, but I'm also rarely a collector of anything anime/manga-related so I guess it says a lot that I find this much worth owning.